BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

12-14-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
MusicarNW Subbass Module 2 Installed

Here are some pics of my newly finished MusicarNW Subbass installation. Was a breeze. Everything looks great and sounds even better.

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

wow that looks sick! clean set up

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
tlp
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, Sold:'11 e92 M3 SG/FR

Garage List
What a treat. We get pics this time around.

Nice.
      12-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #4
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
wow that looks sick! clean set up
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlp View Post
What a treat. We get pics this time around.

Nice.
Yes, yes you do.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Drove the car home yesterday after the install and noticed quite a bit of random popping from the speakers. I don't see what could have been done wrong. Any thoughts? Only thing I can think of is the harness that gets put between the stock harness and the new amp, maybe a connection issue? Also, I had to unplug the two connectors above and next to the large plug on the amp.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Is it still doing it? (Just saw this...) Sounds like the harness isn't fully plugged in.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
gokushamax
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

two words

Bad Ass

how hard does the bass hit inside the cab? it seems like a lot of people have said the trunk is so well sealed off they're not getting as much deep bass inside the cab as they'd like...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 08:37 PM   #8
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Is it still doing it? (Just saw this...) Sounds like the harness isn't fully plugged in.
Yes, it's still doing it. I am going to mess with the settings again tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #9
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gokushamax View Post
Bad Ass

how hard does the bass hit inside the cab? it seems like a lot of people have said the trunk is so well sealed off they're not getting as much deep bass inside the cab as they'd like...
Hits decently. Trying to get it all set at this point. The box is probably too small to get the full potential out of this sub imo.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 09:45 PM   #10
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Hits decently. Trying to get it all set at this point. The box is probably too small to get the full potential out of this sub imo.
If it's too small
You can add som polyfill to the box
That makes the sub sound like it's in a bigger enclosure
1lb per cubic foot of enclosure adds 30% volume
So if the sub needs 1 cubic foot, and your box is 0.75 then adding 0.75lb of polyfill will make it seem like a 1 cubic foot to the sub
Best thing is poly fill bags cost about $4 at wall mart
So you can buy it and try it
If it makes no difference, you've just bought a new pillow
      12-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #11
skins333
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E93 BMW M3 MR/21 X7 40i AW

Nice! What's the carbon fiber stuff you have on trunk inside decklid?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 09:16 AM   #12
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins333 View Post
Nice! What's the carbon fiber stuff you have on trunk inside decklid?
It's my Vorsteiner double sided carbon trunk. The inside of the new ones has their 4x4 weave.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 11:54 AM   #13
Neon01
BMW Nut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 X5 35i

Garage List
Looks great! Is this their "level 1" upgrade with Jehnert 8" drop-ins, ID woofer, and 75x2 + 300x1 amp? You mention module 2, but I was under the impression that the level 2 upgrade includes two discrete amps, and that they would be installed above the stock amp (below the plastic tray behind the drivers' side wheel).

If I understand your other posts correctly, you did the install yourself, right? Did it involve any drilling, cutting, splicing, panel popping and difficult routing of wires, etc? Or was everything "plug and play" or worked with existing snap-in harnesses and the like?

I'm looking at the same setup, and I'm trying to get an idea if I would want to do a job like this myself. Once you get it dialed in, if you could post additional thoughts about how it integrates with the rest of the stereo and other general comments, that would be appreciated (or PM me if its easier). Thanks, and nice job on the install!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 12:04 PM   #14
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon01 View Post
Looks great! Is this their "level 1" upgrade with Jehnert 8" drop-ins, ID woofer, and 75x2 + 300x1 amp? You mention module 2, but I was under the impression that the level 2 upgrade includes two discrete amps, and that they would be installed above the stock amp (below the plastic tray behind the drivers' side wheel).

If I understand your other posts correctly, you did the install yourself, right? Did it involve any drilling, cutting, splicing, panel popping and difficult routing of wires, etc? Or was everything "plug and play" or worked with existing snap-in harnesses and the like?

I'm looking at the same setup, and I'm trying to get an idea if I would want to do a job like this myself. Once you get it dialed in, if you could post additional thoughts about how it integrates with the rest of the stereo and other general comments, that would be appreciated (or PM me if its easier). Thanks, and nice job on the install!
It is there Module 2 as I listed. His thread on E90 is for some reason not working right now. It is the JL 12" sub with a JL amp. It was a simple install. No cutting or modifying of anything was needed. Pretty much plug-and-play.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 04:40 PM   #15
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

They limit how many threads a vendor can have at one time, so we are in the process of getting the packages up on our web site.

http://www.musicarnw.com/bmw-subwoofers/

We do have a lot of configurations. There are Trunk Sub packages and Full-Bass packages. The Full-Bass packages also upgrade the underseat woofers and use a multichannel amp, while the Trunk Sub packages are the trunk sub/sub amp kit.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 06:37 AM   #16
Weiser
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Brooklyn Grey M3 Manual

Garage List
THE_TECH any update here? Still getting popping? Any way you can explain how it compares to other subs you've experienced?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 10:27 AM   #17
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser View Post
THE_TECH any update here? Still getting popping? Any way you can explain how it compares to other subs you've experienced?
No popping at all. I love JL's subs. I have them in all the other cars I own as well. With this setup, I don't think you could ask for anything more. I was expecting much less bass from this enclosure than what it actually is producing. It sounds great and takes up virtually no trunk space. I used to be the guy who always sacrificed the trunk to have a pair of subs. I have zero regrets on getting this setup. In addition, Technic's harness made the install as easy as it gets. To me, this is something that BMW could have added to the mix due to its compact nature and OEM fit and quality.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 10:37 AM   #18
Weiser
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Brooklyn Grey M3 Manual

Garage List
So even with the install kit from MusicarNW you need the Technic harness? Did you have to run any wiring up front? Or just connect into the factory sub location?

I know you said above just plug and play but not sure where you plug! Thanks for the feedback.

Sounds like from their website I may have to get a 10" since I have a sedan?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 10:45 AM   #19
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser View Post
So even with the install kit from MusicarNW you need the Technic harness? Did you have to run any wiring up front? Or just connect into the factory sub location?

I know you said above just plug and play but not sure where you plug! Thanks for the feedback.

Sounds like from their website I may have to get a 10" since I have a sedan?
Technic's harness is included with the setup although since they sell more than one setup and it all depends on what audio system you have in your car, this could differ for you.

Only one wire has to go to the front of the car. Unfortunately, I thought that this seemed kinda stupid since the rest of the setup all stays in the rear but I guess there is no other switched power source at the back. So you have to run one wire to the fuse box. Adds 10 mins or so to the install, so not a huge deal in the end.

Not sure what sizes you can use. PM VP Electricity about it. Their site is too vague.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 10:46 AM   #20
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

He said he checked all his wiring and fixed it, but
I'm not exactly certain what he fixed - hopefully he posts that.

You would get a 10, that is correct.

Signal harness plugs in at the amp in the driver's rear corner, sub amp usually goes between wheel wells under floor, LC2 usually goes next to EP amp. Power harness to battery, speaker harness from amp to sub. Only wire cutting is when inserting our harness wires into the new amplifier terminals.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 10:48 AM   #21
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Yes, working on the site still.

We now have located that one wire under the rear seat side bolster on the passenger side. I keep forgetting that the EP amp doesn't work with signal sensing - so we now include a tap for the remote wire and instructions on how to find it.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 10:51 AM   #22
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
He said he checked all his wiring and fixed it, but
I'm not exactly certain what he fixed - hopefully he posts that.

You would get a 10, that is correct.

Signal harness plugs in at the amp in the driver's rear corner, sub amp usually goes between wheel wells under floor, LC2 usually goes next to EP amp. Power harness to battery, speaker harness from amp to sub. Only wire cutting is when inserting our harness wires into the new amplifier terminals.
Basically, I had it wired wrong. When I went back and redid it all, I found my mistakes. So it was all user error on that one. I was initially confused cause one set of terminals on the LC2i were already wired but the other set wasn't. I took this to mean that they weren't needed and went about the install without messing with them. After looking everything over and rethinking it and checking the one other pic I could find with an LC2i wired in an E9x, I figured out the issue. Simple installer error. I'd never used a line output module before. Every system I've installed included doing a new headunit, so it was always straightforward.
Appreciate 0