BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

10-28-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
Bmw M3 Guy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

ESS software tune ECU loading question regarding my stock file.

I have a 2008 E92 and I bought the flash tuner because I have the CEL from the GTM RPI exhaust. I loaded the stock file to the direct flash tuner, sent it to ESS and got the new file but had a concern before I try it. Here is the response from a very helpful ESS representative.

"Hi Justin,

Your car was on the very first software version BMW ever released. This version is full of bugs and should be updated.

I have included a file with built in software upgrade to a newer and much better version. Try it and if it loads fine you are all set. If not you will have to run the automatic recovery mode to restore the ECU back to stock and take it to BMW for an update.

Normally updates through the DirectFlash units work fine, but one some older versions of software like yours there may be problems preventing it from successfully loading.

Remember to use a good capacity battery charger during the programming."

My question is, I know I'm safe either way, but wanted to get someones experience if you think I should just try and load the new tune or try to find time to take it to the dealer to update the ECU prior to loading the tune. I don't have much time to go to the dealer and update the computer, that's why I ask.

If any of you have experience with the programmer just working with the old software, I'll just go for it.

If you have heard of it not working, I'll have to wait 2 weeks to go to the dealership to update my ECU.

Any knowledge is helpful!

Justin

RPI GT-M - ESS TUNE
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
Mavrick151
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Just try it. If it fails for whatever reason go into recovery mode and restore back to the stock file. How has your car never been updated?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
Bmw M3 Guy
Private First Class
Rep

I guess not. I called my SA, (super cool guy) I told him what I'm doing and he asked for my last 7 digits of my vin and I guess it's the factory flash ECU. He can't see it's been updated.

How many updates have there been since new?

Justin

RPI GT-M - ESS TUNE
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Moderately Quick

I'd go for it. I was never too into waiting.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
DesertEagle50
Admiral General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 FB

Garage List
2013 BMW M5 F10  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3 E92  [10.00]
BMW service kept my car for 3 freakin days doing an ECU update. If you're pressed for time update it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
Bmw M3 Guy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3DriverE92 View Post
BMW service kept my car for 3 freakin days doing an ECU update. If you're pressed for time update it yourself.
I know, I just hope it will work. ESS's email scares me! Haha

Justin

RPI GT-M - ESS TUNE
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 05:02 PM   #7
Daft
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2003 BMW M3  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [9.71]
I flashed my ECU with the DirectFlash tool many times when I got the s/c installed. It failed a few times and went into recovery mode and it loaded the stock file just fine. After many tries we figured out that ESS gave me an older file that was already on my car. So to answer your question if the DF tool kicks into recovery mode don't panic (like I did the first time!). It will put back your original file just fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 05:14 PM   #8
Bmw M3 Guy
Private First Class
Rep

Cool! I'll keep you guys posted, I wish I had a few of your guy's number to call in the event something happens and I need immediate help! Haha

Justin

RPI GT-M - ESS TUNE
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 08:55 PM   #9
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
There have been many updates since new. But the dealer usually won't update it unless you have some preexisting issue.

Saying my software is old usually won't cut it, unless you haven't received the DCT recall update yet. The dealer will try to avoid updating your car. Main reason is that they only get paid X amount from BMW to do it, and chances are there are over ten updates to different modules in the car. BMW dealers don't have the ability to simply update the DME only, they will have to program the entire car. This increases the propensity for an issue, and given the potential time requirement and looking at the cost/benefit on a car with no present issue, they may or may not be inclined to procede.

I can always flash you to the latest version if the dealer doesn't want to.

If it were me, I'd want a tune on the later software because there are a number of fixes since then. It's good to have a base version which has been considered to be reliable. Good luck with getting it worked out.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 08:25 AM   #10
Bmw M3 Guy
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you, Mike! I asked the dealer and they said there are no updates, so they are probably looking at the "formula'' you stated above. It's not beneficial to them to update me, BUT ESS states that the updated tune IS in the new software tune, so I guess if it works, I don't necessarily need to get the update through the dealer.

But, if you'd like, PM me your number and maybe I'll need update to the stock software.

Thanks for the response.

Justin

RPI GT-M - ESS TUNE
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 08:34 AM   #11
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw M3 Guy View Post
Thank you, Mike! I asked the dealer and they said there are no updates, so they are probably looking at the "formula'' you stated above. It's not beneficial to them to update me, BUT ESS states that the updated tune IS in the new software tune, so I guess if it works, I don't necessarily need to get the update through the dealer.

But, if you'd like, PM me your number and maybe I'll need update to the stock software.

Thanks for the response.

Justin
Mike's a good guy so you'll nothing to worry about if you ask him to update your DME with the latest software version.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 08:44 AM   #12
Bmw M3 Guy
Private First Class
Rep

Absolutely, I never questioned him! I actually remember seeing his user name pop around when I had my E46 a while back.

Justin

RPI GT-M - ESS TUNE
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 08:52 AM   #13
Daft
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2003 BMW M3  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [9.71]
If you are communicating with Asbjorn from ESS, they do have the latest BMW stock file thanks to me I went in to my dealer last month to get the software updated and they told me BMW just released a new version. As Mike said, they won't do the update unless there is a specific complaint you have that the update will fix, so they charged me a few hundred to update. When I downloaded the file and sent it to Asbjorn he said he it was completely new and never seen this file before. When he sent me the modified file built off this dealer update it uploaded to my car just fine.

Quote:

Thanks for the response.

Justin
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #14
Bmw M3 Guy
Private First Class
Rep

I tried to update, and it ended up not working, The programmer said there was an error and was put back to recovery mode.

I called the dealer and asked about an update, gave them the last 7 digits of my vin, and they said there is no reason for an update.

I think they are being lazy, or don't want to update the car.

Gotta find out what's my next task!
Justin

RPI GT-M - ESS TUNE
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 01:49 PM   #15
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 JB M3, 2012 GTR

Quote:
I tried to update, and it ended up not working, The programmer said there was an error and was put back to recovery mode.

I called the dealer and asked about an update, gave them the last 7 digits of my vin, and they said there is no reason for an update.

I think they are being lazy, or don't want to update the car.

Gotta find out what's my next task!
Justin
Tell them you have had an issue with the car stalling or a throttle lag. Do you have a dct? They are obligated to give you the latest software in these situations. There were some bulletins with software updates available on the forum, but I'm not sure where they are located. They can easily find them in their system. Otherwise, go to a different dealer. My dealer always updated mine whenever I asked. I've had it done about 3 times since purchase.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 04:38 PM   #16
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by erio View Post
Tell them you have had an issue with the car stalling or a throttle lag. Do you have a dct? They are obligated to give you the latest software in these situations. There were some bulletins with software updates available on the forum, but I'm not sure where they are located. They can easily find them in their system. Otherwise, go to a different dealer. My dealer always updated mine whenever I asked. I've had it done about 3 times since purchase.
+1 - there's a new DCT update (now a few months old) and if your car doesn't have it, as stated above, they have to update your car. DME will get updated to the latest software as well as the DCT software.
Appreciate 0