BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

03-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #45
IrishCoffee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I doubt it. Up to the CI (Dan Tackett) I suppose. I don't think it'll work, especially if we're sharing the track w/ Club Racing.
For a school, running two track configurations for the novices would be a nightmare. It's hard enough getting the info we feed them at the pace we feed them to stick. Throw in a completely new track to memorize and it's overload central. My recommendation to Dan, as his B/C classroom instructor would be to not do it. We alternate directions each year so just come back the following year and bingo, new track. I just wish there was a closer hotel...

The racers wouldn't care, they can adapt to pretty much anything. As long as there is some racing, it's all good.
Ah I wasn't sure if you were the classroom instructor. I was in the B group. Thanks for leading those classes!

So was the E90 the car you had the incident with? I had a lot of trouble with turn 17 before the straight in my E92. I kept wanting to feed throttle but it wasn't wanting to go with so much steering input.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 10:03 PM   #46
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCoffee View Post
Ah I wasn't sure if you were the classroom instructor. I was in the B group. Thanks for leading those classes!

So was the E90 the car you had the incident with? I had a lot of trouble with turn 17 before the straight in my E92. I kept wanting to feed throttle but it wasn't wanting to go with so much steering input.
YW. I enjoyed it. The B group was moving along real well in last session on Sunday.

Yes, I ran out of talent in the 16/17 complex. I was applying more and more throttle entering 16. I was going pretty good and was flat in 3rd just a smidge before the apex. That didn't quite work out as well as I had intended...too much throttle and too much steering input.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #47
Ti-Jean
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 DCT

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [9.00]
I was there as well. Had a great time with the group except my car was overheating very easily. I could only get 2-3 hot laps before the overheating message popped on my i-Drive. I had to drive in 4-5th most of the time to manage this situation. You can see I'm driving in 5th from T10 all the way to T16 trying to cool down in the last lap of the video (~7:35). But it's all good... made me practice getting on the gas early since I had basically no torque coming out of the corners.

I let a good friend drive my car in the C group. That was his first time on track and he had a great time. Lucky him... he didn't have any problem overheating the car. The problem he ran into is that he had to go through 3 instructors on Sunday. They were all getting car sick ... should I remind him... smooth inputs

Here are a few laps from that week-end. Are any of you in my video?

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 12:18 AM   #48
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

^
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #49
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-Jean View Post
I let a good friend drive my car in the C group. That was his first time on track and he had a great time. Lucky him... he didn't have any problem overheating the car. The problem he ran into is that he had to go through 3 instructors on Sunday. They were all getting car sick ... should I remind him... smooth inputs
Man I feel terrible about that. He was definitely progressing nicely on Saturday. I get the feeling the frustration with multiple instructors on Sunday might have stunted his growth.

Problem was, we had just the right number of instructors so every instructor had 2 students. When one gets sick, well, then it's basically a huge juggling act.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #50
Ti-Jean
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Man I feel terrible about that. He was definitely progressing nicely on Saturday. I get the feeling the frustration with multiple instructors on Sunday might have stunted his growth.

Problem was, we had just the right number of instructors so every instructor had 2 students. When one gets sick, well, then it's basically a huge juggling act.
Totally understand about the juggling part, I have to say that the group handled it very well and was able to find replacements for him without loosing much if any track time at all. It just made it a bit harder to work on improvements since it was a re-start each session. This was just a small road bump in an overall awesome week-end!

By the way, he absolutely loved your instruction on Saturday. You definitely left a very good impression with him. He couldn't stop telling me how good of an instructor you are. He called me a few days after getting back in town and told me the event "screwed-up" his driving... he's trying to apex turns around town and getting on the throttle coming out of the corners. I think he's hooked
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 11:42 PM   #51
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I had two VERY different instructors on Sat and Sun. The Sat instructor called the apex cones "reference cone" and didn't care about hitting every apex, while the Sunday instructor wanted all the apex hit. It really messed me us because I was looking at the apex so much, I wasn't looking up like I was Saturday. Both were good, but were looking for different things and I had to adjust to each one, which is cool with me.

The instructor shortage also put some guys in the A group who didn't want to be there. I have one friend who wasn't happy about that and probably won't be doing anymore CCA events, which sucks, because it's the only time I really see him, Beside, the more students, the more events we can have (if there are enough instructors).

Also, are most of you guys running DSC off or MDM? I've been pretty happy with the Euro MDM. It saved me a couple times when I got on it too much; one time was where adamranger left his mark.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 11:57 PM   #52
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Also, are most of you guys running DSC off or MDM? I've been pretty happy with the Euro MDM. It saved me a couple times when I got on it too much; one time was where adamranger left his mark.
Glad I wasn't the only one who got loose there...

Also glad I didn't have an in-car camera to capture me yelling "nooooooooooooooooooooo" as I went around. Before that happened, I'd never had to get at the yellow flag tent since I started this journey 18 years or so ago.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #53
chili cheese
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 Corvette Z06

Quote:

That's me in the white E92 that appears at about the 1 minute mark. You eventually pass me at the front straight. I was parked in the pits a few cars down and chated with you quite a bit regarding your KWs as that is the set-up I plan to run on my next car. You were pretty fast out there!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #54
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Quote:

I ran full DSC off both days for the first time, using the 18x10 square NT01s. It was a little different.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #55
Ti-Jean
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chili cheese View Post
That's me in the white E92 that appears at about the 1 minute mark. You eventually pass me at the front straight. I was parked in the pits a few cars down and chated with you quite a bit regarding your KWs as that is the set-up I plan to run on my next car. You were pretty fast out there!
Awesome! I remember talking to you. Feel free to contact me anytime you want to discuss suspension. I'm no expert but I can certainly talk to you about my experience with the KW clubsport.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #56
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Quote:
Awesome! I remember talking to you. Feel free to contact me anytime you want to discuss suspension. I'm no expert but I can certainly talk to you about my experience with the KW clubsport.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #57
Ti-Jean
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
I've been running with DSC off for a while now but I did run with Euro MDM for some time before that. My take is that if you're having the slightest hesitation about turning it off... than keep it on, you may need/want the safety net. As many have said, the issue with keeping driving with MDM on is that it may hide some "questionable" driving habits without you realizing. You will have to eventually turn it off to progress beyond a certain point. But this will also come with increased risk.

To me this is not a "black or white" issue. MDM is totally fine for some and totally wrong for others. I sometime hear/read people saying that MDM is slower. From my experience, it has little effect on my lap time but also I will tell you from my experience that it "eats" up brake pads significantly faster when it is on (it's applying individual brake here and there without me really messing up anything). I was going to post a video of 2 sessions back to back with MDM on and off to show how MDM kicks in. I borrowed a data acquisition device (Aim Solo) and decided to take some data on this much debated topics Keep an eye on the Track section, I should have it up soon...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #58
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Looking forward to your vid. I rarely got into the MDM (that I can tell), but I'm not driving as hard as you
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #59
Ti-Jean
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Looking forward to your vid. I rarely got into the MDM (that I can tell), but I'm not driving as hard as you
Videos with Euro MDM and DSC off are posted in the thread below:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821800

Check it out!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 09:37 AM   #60
SneakyDeeky
driver mod in progress
United_States
Rep
Drives: with both feet

Garage List
2015 VW Golf R  [5.50]
2014 Audi SQ5  [10.00]
Quote:
The 3 cameras combined with the track overlay and G sensor made for a sweet video. Thanks for sharing!

Wish I could have been there... maybe next time.
      04-05-2013, 02:37 AM   #61
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

For the peeps who have run this in both directions, which way do you like more and why?

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #62
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
For the peeps who have run this in both directions, which way do you like more and why?

Clockwise is faster.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #63
IrishCoffee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus

Well, I think both directions are really fun.

Clockwise I really enjoy the corkscrew down into the bowl. Then again, it's really fun going the other direction in those turns too. I enjoy uphill turns.

I'm not sure I really prefer either direction over the other. They both have their highlights and their throwaway turns.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #64
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Clockwise is faster.
Probably because the corkscrew & the bowl are both downhill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCoffee View Post
Well, I think both directions are really fun.

... They both have their highlights and their throwaway turns.
Indeed.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0