BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-15-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

Oil top-off tips and information

I know the lack of an engine oil dipstick combined with a finicky oil level sensor system is causing confusion among many M car owners. Just thought I'd clear a few things up about the M3 oil level readings and BMW's policy on oil top-offs, so here it goes.

BMW does NOT pay for oil top offs between scheduled services. Some dealerships absorb the cost of top offs and supply their customers with free oil. Other dealerships do not. Some dealerships only supply free oil to customers who purchased the car from them. What I can tell you is that ANY busy BMW dealer gets many people coming in every day for oil top offs. This is a huge expense to the dealer (especially for the 10w60 Motorsport oil) and they do not get reimbursed for it. If you have been getting oil for free, you are fortunate. If you have not, you should not feel like you are being ripped off.

I would recommend buying an extra litre and keeping it in the car if it is needed. The oil level reading system can be confusing, but there are tricks to make it much easier to use. The reading in the cluster is the most accurate; where the center display gives more of a generic reading. When I am checking the oil level on my car or a customer's car, I follow this same procedure:

If a check control message comes on for oil level at or below minimum, the oil is at least a quart (or litre) below maximum. There is a 1 quart range that is "ok" on the cluster readout. A reading of 0.0 (or the lower arrow mark) in the cluster is the minimum "ok" level, where 1.0 (or the top arrow mark) is the maximum "ok" level. I always put my cars at the 1.0 mark.

Add 1 litre of Castrol Motorsport 10w60 oil and switch both the i-drive screen to oil level display (in the "info sources" section) as well as the display in the cluster using the turn signal stalk button. Press and hold the stalk switch button for about 5 seconds to perform a oil level sensor "reset". The cluster will start displaying a little stopwatch icon to indicate it is calculating the oil level. If you don't perform this "reset" I speak of, it can take a very long time to report a change in level after a top off or service. I then let the engine idle for a few minutes until the change is shown on both readouts. Anywhere from 0.5 to 1.0 is probably a good place to be, but I always strive to get it right at 1.0.

Edit: I just realized that the M3 does not give the number readings; I guess I was confusing that with M5/M6. Either way, the numbers I gave do coincide with the marks on the cluster readout. This should make it easier to gauge the amount of oil needed to get the best level.

Hope this helps clear up the process for any of you guys. It really is not that bad of a system after you get the hang of it. I would still like a dipstick, but that is not going to happen.

Andy

Last edited by BMWM.D.; 05-16-2009 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Thanks for putting numbers to the graphs, very helpful. Also didn't know about having to reset the reading.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 09:19 PM   #3
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Who cares if it is a huge cost to the dealer. Someone please explain why it shouldn't be covered? Why cover wiper blades, light bulbs, brake pads, or even topping off coolant (all maintenance covered, but not scheduled) when necessary but not oil? Dealerships need to fight it out with BMW coorporate not their customers!
      05-15-2009, 09:22 PM   #4
Silvertige
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 e92 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW 535i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
I know the lack of an engine oil dipstick combined with a finicky oil level sensor system is causing confusion among many M car owners. Just thought I'd clear a few things up about the M3 oil level readings and BMW's policy on oil top-offs, so here it goes.

BMW does NOT pay for oil top offs between scheduled services. Some dealerships absorb the cost of top offs and supply their customers with free oil. Other dealerships do not. Some dealerships only supply free oil to customers who purchased the car from them. What I can tell you is that ANY busy BMW dealer gets many people coming in every day for oil top offs. This is a huge expense to the dealer (especially for the 10w60 Motorsport oil) and they do not get reimbursed for it. If you have been getting oil for free, you are fortunate. If you have not, you should not feel like you are being ripped off.

I would recommend buying an extra litre and keeping it in the car if it is needed. The oil level reading system can be confusing, but there are tricks to make it much easier to use. The reading in the cluster is the most accurate; where the center display gives more of a generic reading. When I am checking the oil level on my car or a customer's car, I follow this same procedure:

If a check control message comes on for oil level at or below minimum, the oil is at least a quart (or litre) below maximum. There is a 1 quart range that is "ok" on the cluster readout. A reading of 0.0 in the cluster is the minimum "ok" level, where 1.0 is the maximum "ok" level. I always put my cars at the 1.0 mark.

Add 1 litre of Castrol Motorsport 10w60 oil and switch both the i-drive screen to oil level display (in the "info sources" section) as well as the display in the cluster using the turn signal stalk button. Press and hold the stalk switch button for about 5 seconds to perform a oil level sensor "reset". The cluster will start displaying a little stopwatch icon to indicate it is calculating the oil level. If you don't perform this "reset" I speak of, it can take a very long time to report a change in level after a top off or service. I then let the engine idle for a few minutes until the change is shown on both readouts. Anywhere from 0.5 to 1.0 is probably a good place to be, but I always strive to get it right at 1.0.

Hope this helps clear up the process for any of you guys. It really is not that bad of a system after you get the hang of it. I would still like a dipstick, but that is not going to happen.

Andy
Great post. Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 09:26 PM   #5
cut2qr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3 sedan

then it is not 4yr of maintance paid for.
That is total BS, ie false adverstising. With this kind of BS BMW of NA is going to loose customers. Audi tops off oil for free in wifey's rs6. WTF BMW either make a car that does not drink oil (MY 911 c4s never drank oil) or pay for it or do not claim there is no maintance for 4 yr.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 09:36 PM   #6
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Some of you guys get pretty worked up over a quart of oil.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 09:42 PM   #7
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
You're missing the point. It's the principal of the matter and the inconsitencies between dealerships that is upsetting so many customers. "Why should I pay for something that another guys gets included in his maintenance?"
      05-15-2009, 10:17 PM   #8
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
You're missing the point. It's the principal of the matter and the inconsitencies between dealerships that is upsetting so many customers. "Why should I pay for something that another guys gets included in his maintenance?"
No, you're missing the point. The point is...

Quote:
I just shake my head when someone starts whining about this bs. It's not worth the breath and energy expended. I live 3 hours from the nearest dealer, so when I hear someone whining that they are a quart low and they should be able to swing by their dealer on a moments notice and get it topped off, and if they don't, there should be a class action suit... jeese. Get over yourselves. It's a quart of oil once or twice a year. I have a case of it sitting in my garage and an extra quart I always keep in my trunk. Even if I lived down the block from a dealer who would do it for free, it wouldn't even occur to me to ask them to top it off. It is literally easier for me to do it myself.

Last edited by MysticBlue; 05-15-2009 at 10:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 10:20 PM   #9
Silvertige
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 e92 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW 535i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post

I just shake my head when someone starts whining about this bs. It's not worth the breath and energy expended. I live 3 hours from the nearest dealer, so when I hear someone whining that they are a quart low and they should be able to swing by their dealer on moments notice and get it topped off, and if they don't, there should be a class action suit... jeese. Get over yourselves. It's a quart of oil once or twice a year. I have a case of it sitting in my garage and an extra quart I always keep in my trunk. Even if I lived down the block from a dealer who would do it for free, it wouldn't even occur to me to ask them to top it off. It is literally easier for me to do it myself.
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 10:23 PM   #10
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 e92 M3 6MT

...my dealer tops off without blinking an eye. It only makes sense given the need to burn and simple customer service for a premium brand.

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 10:37 PM   #11
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Some dealers give better service than others, simple as that. You guys also drop in to the service bay for air or wiper fluid too?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 10:47 PM   #12
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Some dealers give better service than others, simple as that. You guys also drop in to the service bay for air or wiper fluid too?
Now you just being ridiculous. You're absolutely right, some dealers give good customer care and others not so much. That's the problem. Like I said the inconsitancies! I HAVE TO go to the dealer for the oil as it is a specialty item, unlike the air and wiper fluid I can get anywhere...
      05-15-2009, 11:05 PM   #13
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Now you just being ridiculous. You're absolutely right, some dealers give good customer care and others not so much. That's the problem. Like I said the inconsitancies! I HAVE TO go to the dealer for the oil as it is a specialty item, unlike the air and wiper fluid I can get anywhere...
Not ridiculous at all. As I said, I wouldn't even consider going to a dealer to top off the oil, any more than I would consider going to a dealer to add air to my tires or wiper fluid.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 11:07 PM   #14
amgthis
Tire Racks
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupè

Quote:
Not ridiculous at all. As I said, I wouldn't even consider going to a dealer to top off the oil, any more than I would consider going to a dealer to add air to my tires or wiper fluid.
air to your wiper fluid?

jk
      05-15-2009, 11:10 PM   #15
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I didn't finish the sentence with "adding wiper fluid to the wiper fluid reservior" because I assumed anybody with an ounce of common sense would know what I meant. I was wrong.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 11:18 PM   #16
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Where do you get your oil?
      05-15-2009, 11:22 PM   #17
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Who cares if it is a huge cost to the dealer. Someone please explain why it shouldn't be covered? Why cover wiper blades, light bulbs, brake pads, or even topping off coolant (all maintenance covered, but not scheduled) when necessary but not oil? Dealerships need to fight it out with BMW coorporate not their customers!
Oil is an expendable fluid like gas and windshield washer fluid. It is not a normal wear item like brakes or wipers. It's a subtle difference. That being said, the smart dealer will spend $10 or so a year to keep their customers happy. That said, I don't bother my dealer with this, unless my car is in for something else and I might ask them to check it. As others said, not worth getting worked up about. We already have a sweet maintenance ceal compared to Audi, Mercedes & Porsche.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 11:24 PM   #18
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

Quote:

Quote:

I just shake my head when someone starts whining about this bs. It's not worth the breath and energy expended. I live 3 hours from the nearest dealer, so when I hear someone whining that they are a quart low and they should be able to swing by their dealer on a moments notice and get it topped off, and if they don't, there should be a class action suit... jeese. Get over yourselves. It's a quart of oil once or twice a year. I have a case of it sitting in my garage and an extra quart I always keep in my trunk. Even if I lived down the block from a dealer who would do it for free, it wouldn't even occur to me to ask them to top it off. It is literally easier for me to do it myself.
+1
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 11:43 PM   #19
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Oil is an expendable fluid like gas and windshield washer fluid. It is not a normal wear item like brakes or wipers. It's a subtle difference. That being said, the smart dealer will spend $10 or so a year to keep their customers happy.
Completely agree. And to the OP: I always carry a spare litre.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2009, 12:13 AM   #20
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

touchy subject...my dealer tops me off. but i would understand if they didnt, afterall if you think about how many people may come in to get topped off in a single day. it could cost them $1000s per month
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2009, 12:34 AM   #21
amgthis
Tire Racks
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupè

Quote:
maybe you missed the 'jk' part of my post
      05-16-2009, 12:43 AM   #22
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgthis View Post
maybe you missed the 'jk' part of my post
Yes, I did.
Appreciate 0