BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

03-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
Mmmdreamer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3 Jet Black

Canadians living in the US?

Hey guys, just seeing how many Canuck M owners livin' in the US. I'm from Vancouver, now living in NJ and working in NYC. Been here 2 years, was living in NYC but moved to NJ for more space and of course...owning a car again! Despite getting raped on healthcare and other things, car prices are much better here, I picked up a used 08 e90 M back in November and have been enjoying it ever since.

Did a roadtrip up to Niagara and TO back in December...got hit by a snowstorm on the way up but was clear on the way back.

Anyways, just wanted to say hi to my peoples.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
2K7
///M-thusiast
Rep
Drives: M3, M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmdreamer View Post
Hey guys, just seeing how many Canuck M owners livin' in the US. I'm from Vancouver, now living in NJ and working in NYC. Been here 2 years, was living in NYC but moved to NJ for more space and of course...owning a car again! Despite getting raped on healthcare and other things, car prices are much better here, I picked up a used 08 e90 M back in November and have been enjoying it ever since.

Did a roadtrip up to Niagara and TO back in December...got hit by a snowstorm on the way up but was clear on the way back.

Anyways, just wanted to say hi to my peoples.
Basically split my week between Upstate NY and Hamilton here. Have lived for various periods of time in NY, CA, PA and NJ before.

Agreed Canadians get raped with M car prices here. I've heard of folks in Canada saying they did European Delivery and it didn't affect the price of the car. In the US, if you do ED it should knock off ~$5000 not to mention most Americans are starting from a much lower price to begin with!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

That's why I bought my M3 in the states !!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

I bought my car locally but lived in the US for many years. I sometimes miss it, especially the warmer wearther when I living in Miami and Atlanta.

What I miss more is the cost of living, it's out of hand in Vancouver and Toronto.
      03-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
Mmmdreamer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3 Jet Black

Yeah...Salaries versus Cost of Living is out of control...Vancouver especially with house prices but in general, the strength of the Canadian dollar now has never been properly reflected in goods/services.

My peeve right now is the terrible road conditions in Jersey City, NJ and NYC...pot holes and terrible roads...I really want to lower my car but I already cringe driving stock suspension. Makes me sad when I see all the nice Ms in Cali which are slammed...not to mention sunny weather everyday.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmdreamer View Post
My peeve right now is the terrible road conditions in Jersey City, NJ and NYC...pot holes and terrible roads...
Unfortunately, downtown Toronto is getting there very quickly. It's also getting more expensive compared to living in US. I hated it when I had to live in DC for and in Nashville for couple of years each time years ago (for different reasons in each case though), but now I am warming up to an idea of moving to SF for work.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
That's why I bought my M3 in the states !!
How did you manage that? since BMW dealers in the US do not sell new cars to Canadians. Did you find a way around it? Care to share

I have a Canadian friend living partly in California during the winter time (he has a house there). Should I take up winter residence in California and then order a ED thru a US dealership .... Hmmmm I wonder if that works

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Peter View Post
How did you manage that? since BMW dealers in the US do not sell new cars to Canadians. Did you find a way around it? Care to share

I have a Canadian friend living partly in California during the winter time (he has a house there). Should I take up winter residence in California and then order a ED thru a US dealership .... Hmmmm I wonder if that works
Oups , sorry if I misslead you , I bought it used and in the states , double the savings !!

Last edited by Alex07M3; 03-09-2012 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #9
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Peter View Post

I did ED when I was working in the US (saved over 7K off regular MSRP on a 335xi and had an epic vacation). Just faxed a dealer the copy of my work visa and my lease agreement for the place where I lived. I actually placed the order before I was physically in the US, but had papers to show that I'd be a US resident on the date the car is ready. Also, if you stay there for certain time (two years, but not sure) and own the car for that long, you can bring it back in tax free.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #10
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
Oups , sorry if I misslead you , I bought it used and in the states , bouble the savings !!
Not a problem Alex, I'm glad for you!

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #11
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxL View Post
I did ED when I was working in the US (saved over 7K off regular MSRP on a 335xi and had an epic vacation). Just faxed a dealer the copy of my work visa and my lease agreement for the place where I lived. I actually placed the order before I was physically in the US, but had papers to show that I'd be a US resident on the date the car is ready. Also, if you stay there for certain time (two years, but not sure) and own the car for that long, you can bring it back in tax free.
I have to look into that ... I am retired and may spend my winters in southern California ... perhaps leave the car there for a period of time.

Thanks for the info. as I said I have to look into that. Purchasing the car in Germany is not an option and leaving it there for my yearly trips parked at my
Brothers garage. Cars are more expensive in Germany I think it is based on the cost of living or how much the manufacturer can get away with it

Thanks again, Rolf

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #12
2K7
///M-thusiast
Rep
Drives: M3, M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxL View Post
I did ED through a dealer in NJ and just used my CAD passport and CAD license. I actually haven't heard of being able to import a US vehicle into canada tax free even if you've lived there after a few years. Would you happen to have a link to this info? because I didn't see any info on this on the RIV site.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #13
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RO_Turbo View Post
I did ED through a dealer in NJ and just used my CAD passport and CAD license. I actually haven't heard of being able to import a US vehicle into canada tax free even if you've lived there after a few years. Would you happen to have a link to this info? because I didn't see any info on this on the RIV site.
Actually there is a duty on the value that exceeds $10K per item for Canadians who return to Canada but no duty on anything to those moving to Canada for the first time (i.e., immigrating). I was not Canadian before I moved to Canada from US so I did not pay anything, but for returning Canadians only the first $10K of value is duty free. Here is link for returning Canadians: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5087-eng.html
Appreciate 0