BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-27-2008, 11:30 AM   #45
rawedge2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 STI - 08 M3

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203167

Tradgedy in my town..
17 yr old gets a 335i for getting his liscense from his parents..
and they even go as far to add an ECU upgrade he asked for..

i feel for the family's and the passenger.. a driver is putting there life in their own hands doin those speeds, yet still noone deserves this..

CAN YOU BELIEVE THATS ALL THATS LEFT OF THE CAR!!!
      10-27-2008, 03:24 PM   #46
quackman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 6mt

Right now I'm 21. My father/grandfather gave me their old 1994 400e when i turned 16 adn got my learner's permit. It was fast enough, and old enough that they were comfortable having me drive it. But it would break down often so after a few months, my dad got me a new 2003 bmw 325i automatic. I still only had my permit, so I drove with either him or my mom. I tried my best to learn all the rules of the road and follow them, even if my parents didn't. I took learning how to drive a car quickly, very slowly and carefully.

After having the 325i for almost a year I started to enjoy driving quickly, under the careful eye of my dad. Along the way, he's let me drive his cars, which included at the time a MB CL500 and other pretty fast cars. Then the summer before college in 2005 he got me a new E90 330i manual; I was about 18 years old. I knew, and my dad helped me realize, that a car can be a dangerous thing especially in the hands of a young adult. I continued to follow the rules of the road much better than my friends, a few of which had gotten into accidents even with a slow car. I knew that I had to respect the cars I was able to drive or else I'd become another another stereotypical young adult whose mommy and daddy bought a nice car for who went and destroyed it and killed other people.

Keeping that in mind, I've never been in an accident. I'm careful and try to keep it calm and cool when I drive quickly and have some fun. I know if I acted like a kid with even my 325i, that I'd get into trouble.
Age isn't the final issue: someone said maturity is, and it's up to the young adult and the parents to figure out if he has enough maturity to recognize his own inexperience and faults. I've been driving my dad's other cars too(not just the bimmers he's bought me): Ferrari 360, Ford GT, Maseratis, even the newest M5... never harmed any of them.

Back this year in about May, my dad bought himself the new M3 and after a month handed it down to me. Since June I've been driving the M3 and despite being 21 with a ridiculously fast car, I've never even been close to having an accident. ANYONE who owns an M3 has to respect it and take a good look at their own selves. That's what I've been doing and thanks to that I have not become "just another rich spoiled kid who ruined daddy's cars" stereotype.

Last edited by quackman; 10-27-2008 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 04:27 PM   #47
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Girls, 10 is fine, boys, no less than 40!!!
      10-27-2008, 07:09 PM   #48
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
Whether you have a normal car or a fast car, you learn the hard way. When I was 17yr thru to 19yr on restricted probational licence ( automatic desqualification if caught speeding) I did all the stupid things, speeding fines, lost my licence, had a couple minor accidents.

You think your the worlds greatest driver, looking back its a wonder I am still here. You come of age so to speak and yes the accident was a terrible loss but its unfortunate there will be more, some make it through and others don't and its the bystander and passenger that pay the price.

We know because we have been their! we may call them stupid but one must remember to call one self stupid first.

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 10:40 PM   #49
quackman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
Whether you have a normal car or a fast car, you learn the hard way. When I was 17yr thru to 19yr on restricted probational licence ( automatic desqualification if caught speeding) I did all the stupid things, speeding fines, lost my licence, had a couple minor accidents.

You think your the worlds greatest driver, looking back its a wonder I am still here. You come of age so to speak and yes the accident was a terrible loss but its unfortunate there will be more, some make it through and others don't and its the bystander and passenger that pay the price.

We know because we have been their! we may call them stupid but one must remember to call one self stupid first.
:werd:
I've had my fair share of thinking a little too much of myself a couple times, but thankfully I never went completely overboard towards having a crash. When you think you're the BEST, you'll think you can do ANYTHING=an accident waiting to happen.
      10-28-2008, 10:34 AM   #50
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by torredresen View Post
Dude, where the hell is this going again? First the Repo of the pix, than this endless discussion about age and M3's! It's not about age, it"s about maturity!

Cheers
+1000

I wish I had an M3 at a young age, but I don't begrudge the youngsters getting such a nice car even if their parents paid for it. There's no reason an 18 year old guy cannot drive an M3 safely. A 50 year old dude with a Prius can kill himself just as easily as an 18 year old with an M3. You just have to have enough discipline to not take chances, in any car. It is not age, but maturity that counts. Unfortunately, the majority of 18 year olds don't have the required maturity, whereas most 50 year olds do. But you just can't say that of ALL 18 or 50 year olds.

So, at what age is it safe for you to drive an M3? It totally depends on you.
      11-25-2008, 05:06 PM   #51
MrAdams
do a wheelie!!!
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 - '72 2002 - '65 Impala

Garage List
I'm 19 got my E90 M3... so far no close calls, but I have been driving about my whole life at my dads shop, so I have driven the worst of the worst. I still consider myself a kid. My friend passed away in an E39 540i (R*I*P David) about a year ago, and it has changed the way I drive. so just take it easy bro.