BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-14-2008, 04:15 PM   #23
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaw View Post
Uh. No. Coasting for 6 seconds will result in a lower trap speed due to distance traveled and speed bled off while coasting.
Uhh, I think he was exaggerating to make a point.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 05:11 PM   #24
jlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Uhh, I think he was exaggerating to make a point.
If he was, that's a retarded way to do it.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 05:14 PM   #25
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
Well, whatever the case, with race headers, deleted front cats as well as the reprogrammed software to include 8,600 rev limiter, it may be possible to get +40bhp not IMO whp. Don't honestly know what 200 more revs will get you but who knows with all that reprogramming everywhere. A word of caution, I've not seen one reputable tuner make more than 20bhp with ECU, not Dinan, nor ACS, nor RDSport, nor GPower, etc..., etc... Also, I paid for an ECU reflash that was dynoed at 44+bhp gain (dyno is on this site) and I honestly don't think I got half that. Just my opinion!! Serves my right for working with a second rate tuner I suppose, lol! In any event and for the life of me, I just can't see what those other tuners than claim big numbers know about the engines that is not known by other very, very reputable tuners.
I got 20 wheel with powerchip, just to let you know
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 06:53 PM   #26
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

^^LMAO, i think we can come to a conclusion. Dont "F" with pg
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 07:28 PM   #27
jlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
You're right...it was retarted of me to prove beyond any shadow of a doubt that trap speed is not strictly a function of horsepower. So many people here have claimed that driver ability isn't even a factor in trap speed. So the example that I gave made it so unambiguously clear that trap speed is also dependant on shift speed -- which of course is a direct function of driver ability.

Silly me for proving the point in such an obvious manner that it looked "retarded."
In the context of what we're talking about, you are told to take driver ability out of the equation... assume average driver missing no shifts. I would hope no one here is so stupid as to think that shift speed can't affect trap speed. Your example was just over the top.

The bottom line is that trap speed will be a pretty good indicator of whether your dyno numbers are in the correct ballpark, assuming no mechanical problems with the car. This was eagletango's basic point and anyone with drag racing experience can tell you that this is a common test used to verify dyno numbers.

I don't have enough data on drag racing this specific car to know what the number ranges are, but as an example... if 10 different M3's of equal weight and gearing are putting down 400rwhp on a Dynojet and trapping 119mph, and your M3 with the same weight and gearing puts down 400rwhp and traps, say, 114mph, then you know one of two things: something is wrong with your car, or you aren't really making 400rwhp.

Obviously this is not an exact science, there are too many other variables to account for... but then again, I don't think that was ever the point.

Anyway, this is not worth fighting about. I've read quite a few of your posts and agree with you 99% of the time. Just not on how you went about this one.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 07:46 PM   #28
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
You're right...it was retarted of me to prove beyond any shadow of a doubt that trap speed is not strictly a function of horsepower. So many people here have claimed that driver ability isn't even a factor in trap speed. So the example that I gave made it so unambiguously clear that trap speed is also dependant on shift speed -- which of course is a direct function of driver ability.

Silly me for proving the point in such an obvious manner that it looked "retarded."
I agree with the post just above (not your quote, the post). It is spot on. However, you are also correct. A 1 second vs. a 0.25 second shift time (both pretty extreme) makes about a 5 mph difference in trap speed in an E92 M3 based on simulation with CarTest.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 07:50 PM   #29
Adonislike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Insight/Honda Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthirtyfizle View Post
^^LMAO, i think we can come to a conclusion. Dont "F" with pg
Yeah. Havent posted much but Im in here everyday. And that guy (PG) should teach a class with how much knowledge he has. Would be difficult to get one over on him.

But he has always posted great info for morons like me to try and learn something. Definitely helps
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 11:00 PM   #30
mvagusta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 coup

I with pg........
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 04:40 AM   #31
serven7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RS 46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adonislike View Post
Yeah. Havent posted much but Im in here everyday. And that guy (PG) should teach a class with how much knowledge he has. Would be difficult to get one over on him.

But he has always posted great info for morons like me to try and learn something. Definitely helps
He just has too much time on his hands
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 08:02 AM   #32
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaw View Post
If he was, that's a retarded way to do it.
Why we can't just argue at some professional level and not with some ghetto crap?

I'm really getting tired of some members in this forum that just can't help themselves in looking like morons...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 02:48 PM   #33
jlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Fair enough. Amazing that people would argue the point, that thread must have been a trainwreck.
Appreciate 0