BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

09-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #23
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
track time baby. Who will overheat first.
Yeah, you can go out and spend a whole lot of money to upgrade those turbos and blah blah blah, but V8 is a V8: race ready.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #24
Ken37.73
Private 1st Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Jet Black

Small guy syndrome in answer to your question. Chip on shoulder forever etc. First cousin of the 335i mob.

Why didn't you just tell him that the 1M is third rate in every way compared to the M3. You could also mention that the 1M is a manky looking Noddy car of a thing and is so badly proportioned that it's like something a child would draw. You can always get other friends.

Ps - I'd would have left out that bit if he'd been diplomatic about it.

Ken
      09-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #25
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

It got me thinking of what about the M3 is what I love, and what things I wish it had a better:

Things I Love:
  • S65
    This engine, although I agree it "could've" used more Torque, it is a track-based engine... high revving, N/A, with excellent gearing, etc. I agree for city use, more torque and more power would be most welcomed, and against C63's and such, it doesn't have a chance in highway racing, but that's not what this car is for. Take it to the track, and let her live in the 5-8.5k range, and watch beauty just happen.

It didn't win engine of the year award in 11tybillion times in a row for nothing.
  • M-DCT
    a MAIN reason why I ended up with this car over a 1M or other cars in consideration (C63, RS4, etc). After 30 years of driving Manuals only, and having a somewhat biased view on "automatics", one lap on the track on a DCT and I was sold! Just marvelous! The Rev-matching is to die for!
  • AESTHETICS
    Totally subjective, but there is not a hotter coupe/sedan luxury GT car out there. Clean lines, beautiful facia, nice "ass", good fender flaring, and just very classy overall.
  • CHASSIS
    Need a say more? You can hate on the lack of "torque", looks, price, or anything else, but one thing even the haters have to agree on: the chassis is a thing of marvel! So balanced, and so planted.

Things that I don't like:
  • TUNING
    Being a N/A engine, I expected this, but even a few HP will cost you a LOT! I remember a simple $500 JB3 and a $300 set of downpipes on my 135i, and I was pulling near 400rwhp.... for street use, that was outstanding!
  • TORQUE
    city use could definitely use more! At track, I'm perfectly fine as is!
  • MPG
    yeah, I knew it coming in...and yeah, it still hurts!
  • TOO MANY
    Maybe it's a Miami thing, maybe it's the big city thing, but I see TONS of them out there, relatively speaking. In places like Atlanta, or Denver, etc, you don't see too many, but L.A. and Miami...sheesh!

just my 0.02

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #26
burakkose
Second Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: i8

the 1m owner looks unsecure imo.
I've driven both, a friend has one, fully loaded 1m

i have to be honest with you.

1m coupe is like the girl who you wanna f**k badly, whereas M3 is your loyal wife. But my vote goes to m3
      09-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #27
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
I'm intrigued with 1M owners and have been watching them to see what makes them tick. My conclusion is that they are even bigger M whores than M3 owners and are usually slow as hell on the track. The ones who will try their hardest not to point you by until they finally have to accept defeat and realize that they are not faster than a heavy ass M3. Which usually takes about a day. I was there last weekend and on Saturday there was such an individual, a VO 1M with Kentucky plates on what looks like a square setup running
Apex wheels and pretty serious rubber. He wasn't even close, heck there was a 135i ther that was much quicker than him. But he kept trying on Saturday, by Sunday though he had swallowed what was left of his pride and pointed me by with a quickness. Probably convinced himself that I was running on R compound like the M Performance chief instructor did when he was giving rides in the new F10 M5. That guy would have probably ran home crying and put the car up for sale if he knew what little mods I have on my car.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #28
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by burakkose View Post
the 1m owner looks unsecure imo.
I've driven both, a friend has one, fully loaded 1m

i have to be honest with you.

1m coupe is like the girl who you wanna f**k badly, whereas M3 is your loyal wife. But my vote goes to m3
I don't know what you are talking about. There is not enough makeup or alcohol in the world to take the ugly out of the 1 series. In fact, I think it is a running joke at BMW to see how people will still flock to the badge no matter how ugly they make their cars. Heck, they've kicked it up a notch. The next one will be FWD and probably even uglier than the current one and they'll laugh as people will still buy them like ugly is in style. Speaking of which, wtf would people want to make their M3 look like a 1M? And the shit doesn't even line up so you are probably feeding more air to the inner liner than the oil cooler and intake.

I've had my 2008 M3 since it had 0 miles on the odometer. It was built to my specifications and have been paid off since 2009. You are right, the M3 is my loyal wife. These other guys are leasing so they have no loyalty.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #29
NoM3ForMe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 Legacy, '07 Kia Sorrento

Talking

OP - I don't own any BMW of any kind, so hopefully my opinion is objective enough

I have to agree with JulieDriving; I think the owner of the 1M is insecure about his car, and worse, lacks knowledge of the other cars that share the BMW - not just the ///M - badge.

I don't normally like to get involved in these discussions because they are just plain silly. If I had the funds to get a 1M now, I would. If I had the funds to get an M3 now, I would. If I had the funds to get a 335 now, *gasp* I would. They are all great cars that were purpose-built for what they are. People that buy a BMW as a status symbol or an achievement**, don't deserve the car they drive in my opinion.

**This statement does NOT include those of you that worked your ass off, saved your money and ate Top Ramen for a decade to EARN the car you drive now.
      09-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #30
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoM3ForMe View Post
I have to agree with JulieDriving; I think the owner of the 1M is insecure about his car
Quote:
Originally Posted by burakkose View Post
the 1m owner looks insecure imo.
Why ...did he create a thread about his chance meeting with an M3 driver?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #31
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

He probably got ass-raped on the mark up and was looking to justify the purchase. I would not be surprised if the SA fed him the same line of sh*t when he bought it.

That being said the the 1M is a nice car.
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #32
Chachi112
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 CTS-V Coupe, 2015 M3

i came across a gentleman with a 1M at a local car show...really nice guy..he actually told me he bought the 1M because he thought the M3 was to much car for him to use..i guess there are still some sensible people out there
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #33
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

Lauderdale has had one sitting front and center of the display, on busy assed Federal Hwy, for three weeks with a pricetag of 63k.

Sure, its priced over 60... but it ain't sellin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #34
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
My question, is, however, why do "some" 1M owners tend to use the M3 as their punching bag to make their point across?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
....So Yes, I take the 1M as a very good track car, and a good 1st run from BMW to test the waters for a smaller M coupe sibling by using a parts bin approach.....
You say 'parts bin' like it's an insult. The fact that the parts you speak of come directly from the M3 might be the problem here. Does that bother you? Help me understand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaq diesel View Post
....While the 1M was a limited production car, it's still a "parts bin" car...
See above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken37.73 View Post
....the 1M is third rate in every way compared to the M3. You could also mention that the 1M is a manky looking Noddy car of a thing and is so badly proportioned that it's like something a child would draw...
Ken
You would get along nicely with the guy OP met!
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
I'm intrigued with 1M owners and have been watching them to see what makes them tick. My conclusion is that they are even bigger M whores than M3 owners and are usually slow as hell on the track.....
Correction. You and Ken should get together with the 1M owner OP met.
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
....There is not enough makeup or alcohol in the world to take the ugly out of the 1 series.......You are right, the M3 is my loyal wife. These other guys are leasing so they have no loyalty.
Wrong. There was a poll in the 1M section and due to the horrible lease offers on the car, most are in fact purchased.

Does this answer your question? Seems to me that the only insults fueled by insecurity is coming from your camp.
      09-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #35
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Bottom line:

1) comparing highly-modded car to either lightly-modded car or stock is plain stupid;

2) 1m is great car - but definitely no better overall than m3 stock-to-stock (m3 slight advantage here); and

3) (my opinion): 1M ugly as hell - m3 a billion times nicer looking...(aside from 1m owners - anyone disagree with that?)
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #36
luckistryke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Very very fast

Oh man...someone pass the popcorn
      09-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #37
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckistryke View Post
Oh man...someone pass the popcorn
no popcorn, but I have peanuts...I'm more health conscious

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #38
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

i can't even take the 1M seriously. The car has no road presence whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 12:31 AM   #39
MMMMM3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jerez Black e90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HREM3 View Post
Don't let arrogant comments like his get under your skin.

I have owned both. The M3 is almost 4 years old, and the 1m is one year old. I still say the M3 is a better all around car.

I have a funny story when I was searching for a 1M a fellow 1addict member was helping me find one and in one conversation we had he said something along the lines of "The M3 is a boat bro. My friend has one, and I just don't like it. It's such a boat".

He didn't know that I owned an M3 so I just kinda gave him the smile and nod, and kept my opinions to myself, because in all reality yes the 1M is lighter, and feels it... but its not exactly light..

That 1addict member sold his 1M after less than one year of ownership. If you look at the 1Addict classifieds a good amount of them were driven for a few hundred/thousand miles and then sold. I don't know what that means..its a love it or hate it type vehicle.

The 1M is a very rare car, which I love. I just don't think it has anything on the M3 in any aspect. It may be easier to highway drive because of the torque, but that's about it.
It is a bit of a boat. I've even ended up with plates that read NBOA14T. So even the woman at the RTA where I got my plates was trying to tell me something by the plates she assigned me. I love driving it, and who really cares what other people think? I get C63 drivers giving me the same speech trying to talk me into trading it in for a Merc. I don't think M3 drivers are as rude, to go around telling other people how to live, and what to drive. Get a life people.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #40
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

I sold my 1M for an M3..... Enough said!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 12:50 AM   #41
MMMMM3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jerez Black e90 M3 DCT

Next time somebody tells you the M3 doesn't have enough torque, ask them to guess how much torque an F1 engine makes.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_t...ula_1_car_have
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #42
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMMM3 View Post
Next time somebody tells you the M3 doesn't have enough torque, ask them to guess how much torque an F1 engine makes.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_t...ula_1_car_have
Yes, but the tq-weight equivalent means the F1 car has 600lb/ft.

Anyhow I do agree with your sentiment and truly don't find this engine lacks torque at all, and I've owned a pickup with 800 foot pounds at 1,500rpm
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 09:21 AM   #43
UnaBomber
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5, 2010 GTR

come back to OT ***
8.97@164 - 206.99 half mile - 1401whp 1095tq Road Race Prepped Monster Killed on Hellbender 28
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #44
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

Man, I would love to have both. And an M3 E46. They are such cool cars. And then, whenever I hit this situation, I would have the perfect answer: why are you limiting yourself to one, dude?

And why is the choice the "onesie" vs. the M3 anyway? If the M3 is "too slow, too heavy" isn't a 911 lighter and faster than the onesie? He better dump his onesie now, before a new one comes out, and buy a 911.
Appreciate 0