BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

05-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Amica Insurance - HPDE Coverage

This just blew me away, but my Amica Auto insurance covers me for HPDE events. As long as it is not racing, preparing for racing or time trials, I am covered. An unfortunate sequence of events lead to this being discussed with the agent, which led to her saying "I have to check with the underwriter on whether we will continue to hold your policy"...WTF...shit...dumbass......and then she calls back and relays the above information to me, stating that she was "surprised too"

Obviously, I feel like an a-hole, since I have been paying for track insurance for the last 3-4 years (I don't want to do the math), but at least I know now and can save some cash.
      05-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

How did this "come up" with your agent?

No way in hell id discuss that...if I were to be in that position

Glad it ended up ok
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
White 13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A 2013 Alpine White E92

Seems like a person has to ask to find out.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
blankstar43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3

"We do not cover any physical damage to an auto being driven in or preparing for any racing, speed or demolition
contest or stunting activity of any nature, whether or not prearranged or organized."

This is how it is worded in my policy. Not sure if I'd be covered or not, but my guess is they would fight it regardless.
      05-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
...and then she calls back and relays the above information to me
Well, you inquired already so too late to fix that but I wouldn't rely on a phone conversation with an agent for future track coverage, look for the actual text in the full Amica contract.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

15 minutes with your Amica agent could save you hundreds on your future track insurance.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #7
Dbcgolf1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, ZCP DCT, Dinan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
This just blew me away, but my Amica Auto insurance covers me for HPDE events. As long as it is not racing, preparing for racing or time trials, I am covered. An unfortunate sequence of events lead to this being discussed with the agent, which led to her saying "I have to check with the underwriter on whether we will continue to hold your policy"...WTF...shit...dumbass......and then she calls back and relays the above information to me, stating that she was "surprised too"

Obviously, I feel like an a-hole, since I have been paying for track insurance for the last 3-4 years (I don't want to do the math), but at least I know now and can save some cash.
Are you sure about this. In my Amica policy, there is this item under EXCLUSIONS:

4. Any vehicle, located inside a facility designed
for racing, for the purpose of:
a. Competing in; or
b. Practicing or preparing for;
any prearranged or organized racing or speed
contest.

I guess HDPE is not racing.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbcgolf1 View Post
Are you sure about this. In my Amica policy, there is this item under EXCLUSIONS:

4. Any vehicle, located inside a facility designed
for racing, for the purpose of:
a. Competing in; or
b. Practicing or preparing for;
any prearranged or organized racing or speed
contest.

I guess HDPE is not racing.

Dave
I still don't want to be the guy to test this theory that some folks think they are covered. so what. your rates will go sky high afterwards. i like having 25+ years with no accidents or claims. racing is expensive (HPDE or otherwise). you gotta pay to play if you want insurance.
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
CBS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10535, E90M3, E30M3, E28M5

Garage List
2017 Alpina B6 GC  [0.00]
2014 535xi M Sport  [0.00]
2014 X3 3.5 M Sport  [0.00]
2011 M3 E90  [9.74]
2007 Z4 M Coupe  [7.00]
1990 M3  [9.50]
1988 M5  [10.00]
OP: I have had Amica insuance for 30+ years and they are awesome. HOWEVER I didn't know they cover HPDE's. Do you have a special policy OR can you recall which Agent you spoke with? I'd like to explore this further with my policy.

Thanks,
Chris

ESS VT-1 550 | M24 Oil Cooler | Fall Line Half Cage | RaceTech 4009W | 6 pt Harness | Lifeline Zero 360 Fire Suppression | Rear Seat Delete | Motion Control DA Dampers w/remote reservoirs | 900/650 Hyperco Springs | RD Sport Sway Bars | Brembo 380 BBK | GC Camber Plates | Hoosier R7 | Eisenmann Sport | Stack Gauges | Painted Challenge Front Lip | Painted ZCP Rear Spoiler | Xpel Ultimate Film | LuxAngelEyes
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
LittleBlueBMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3, 2002 M coupe

Garage List
1999 E36 M3  [0.00]
2010 E90 M3  [0.00]
I have Amica and am 99 percent sure they exclude any damage at facility designated for motorsport. That would mean anything during racing or open lapping for HPDE, even a fender bender in the track's parking lot (technically).

"M3 drivers have no friends." -Jezza
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #11
Estoril Blue
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3

One phrase some policies use that cover a broad range is:

".... or any event held on any surface otherwise used for racing or speed events".

Keep in mind that one should not only consider repairs to your own car - but damage that you may cause to another vehicle(s) or injury to a person(s). This latter part can be far more expensive than repairing your own car.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #12
gobuffs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 S54 (race car)

Same company may have different language in different states. What might be covered in one state by a company might not be covered in another state by the same company.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #13
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril Blue View Post

Keep in mind that one should not only consider repairs to your own car - but damage that you may cause to another vehicle(s) or injury to a person(s). This latter part can be far more expensive than repairing your own car.
This is what i would be most concerned about
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 11:05 PM   #14
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Isn't it every man for themselves out there? Everyone signs a waiver of liability upon entering. My assumption (perhaps false) is that if someone hits me, I'm responsible for everything and if I hit someone, well too bad for them.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 11:37 PM   #15
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Isn't it every man for themselves out there? Everyone signs a waiver of liability upon entering. My assumption (perhaps false) is that if someone hits me, I'm responsible for everything and if I hit someone, well too bad for them.
Tell that to all the people/companies that were sued by the family of Ben Keaton.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #16
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Some if the insurance companies consider things like HPDE as not racing. It's not a competition out on the track. The main purpose of an HPDE is to learn to explore the limits of our cars in a safe environment. When we push our cars on the track, we tend to overall be safer drivers.

As long as its an HPDE, I know my insurance AAA covers me. I asked them specifically and they confirmed. Additionally, they even told me that when I am offroading in my truck, I am still covered as long as I am on a road/ trail found on an official map.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 12:10 AM   #17
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Tell that to all the people/companies that were sued by the family of Ben Keaton.

I'm not that familiar with this, but wasn't that a death of driver and passenger and the passenger's wife sued the driver's estate for wrongful death? I won't take passengers because of the liability. It's foolish and not allowed at many of the events I go to. Unless I'm incorrect on this, it has nothing to do with driver to driver accidents.

BTW, for those interested. I have Safeco insurance (which is fantastic) and their wording goes like this as part of exclusions:

15. Loss to your covered auto or any non-owned auto while it is:
a. Operating on a surface designed or used for racing. This does not apply to an organized and controlled event that is not a speed, performance, stunt, or demolition event;
b. participating in a high performance driving or racing instruction course or school; or
c. preparing for, practicing for, used in, or competing in any prearranged or organized:
1. race activity; or
2. speed, performance, stunt, or demolition contest or exhibition.

Dammit.

Last edited by Transfer; 05-17-2013 at 12:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 07:13 AM   #18
Estoril Blue
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

1. That is incorrect.

2. The existence of a waiver doesn't preclude suits - especially suits where negligence occurred/is alleged. Waivers generally are written only to protect the facility or event sponsor. HPDE event sponsors (and even facilities) ARE successfully sued. One very well-known and respected national HPDE sponsor has been entangled in a VERY expensive lawsuit for well over a year.

3. Liability waivers favor the author. They are regularly overcome by courts finding that the facility, sponsor or driver had a duty that they failed to discharge - or that their acts or omissions caused injury or damage to another. That is liability.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 07:15 AM   #19
Estoril Blue
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm not that familiar with this, but wasn't that a death of driver and passenger and the passenger's wife sued the driver's estate for wrongful death? I won't take passengers because of the liability. It's foolish and not allowed at many of the events I go to. Unless I'm incorrect on this, it has nothing to do with driver to driver accidents.

More for the broader readership than just you - keep in mind that Instructors are passengers.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 07:25 AM   #20
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Just to reemphasize: Insurance policies by the same company can have significantly different exclusions all depending on the state where the policy is written. It's conceivable that two cars could crash into each other, both with insurance by the same company, and since one was from a different state, that car/person would be fully covered while the other driver/car is totally exposed.

Re waivers: The issue here is gross negligence. If such can be proved in a court, the waiver means nothing essentially to the parties accused of such.

Up until a couple of months ago, North Carolina, with its highly regulated insurance industry, did not allow insurers to exclude HPDEs, car on a track, etc. The insurance industry battled for years, and they finally paid off the right people, er I mean they won the argument. Now *all* policies in NC have been changed, effective on that date, to eliminate coverage and reduce the liability coverage allowed to be written to just $32k for a car/person at the track.

This is important, and few I think have realized what happened. For example, for those with an umbrella liability policy, that is now not valid for covering some horrific event you caused on a track. Since the wording of the auto policy (highly regulated by insurance commission) specifically states that liability coverage under these conditions is limited to just $32k, the umbrella policy would never get "triggered." i.e. The limits of the car policy, typically 100k/300k, have to be reached to then have the umbrella take over. Since that is overruled by the $32k limit for track events, no umbrella coverage. Insurance industry lobbyists aren't stupid I suppose.

Oh, and of course, there is zero comp/collision coverage for your own car now in NC, but that would be of little concern if you were involved in a horrific situation where gross negligence overrides the waiver. The cost of your car would be trivial compared to the potential liability damage.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #21
Transfer
Major General
Rep

It's a good thing I don't have any money.
Thanks for all the good info.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #22
DallasBoosted
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
1. That is incorrect.

2. The existence of a waiver doesn't preclude suits - especially suits where negligence occurred/is alleged. Waivers generally are written only to protect the facility or event sponsor. HPDE event sponsors (and even facilities) ARE successfully sued. One very well-known and respected national HPDE sponsor has been entangled in a VERY expensive lawsuit for well over a year.

3. Liability waivers favor the author. They are regularly overcome by courts finding that the facility, sponsor or driver had a duty that they failed to discharge - or that their acts or omissions caused injury or damage to another. That is liability.
My knowledge of the case is that the money was primarily paid by Porsche and California Speedway; partly because these were the deep pockets, but also because 1> Gross Negligence wasn't covered by the waiver (in many states gross negligence cannot be waived), and the conduct of the flagman/setup of the walls rose to the level of gross negligence; and 2> porsche had no waiver.

Assumption of the risk is going to shut down most of these suits, the organizations can be sued (like any organization) but the waivers and the assumptions made by the drivers and passengers mean that the conduct has to be pretty bad to get anywhere with it.

Yes I am a lawyer.
Appreciate 0