BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

04-21-2009, 01:29 AM   #1
Roaders
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

2009 IDrive waypoint navigation

Hi All

I'm absolutely loving the 2009 IDrive - it really is fantastic. I was also really interested in the Connected Drive functionality - I liked the idea of being able to set up a route for a cruise on the website and send it directly to the car but IMHO the connected drive route editor is RUBBISH!

What I want to be able to do (preferably in the car and on the site) is set a departure and destination point and then drag the route to force it to go down specific roads - like you can with Google maps. Instead all you can do is add places by place name. If I add a place name I am likely to go right into the center of town when that's not what I want to do.

Another complaint is that you can only set up multiple destinations and it'll guide you to each one one by one, I want to go to one destination with way points along the way. I want the time / distance remaining to be for the last destination. You can do this on Tom Tom by saying mark way point as destination (or by un-marking it).

This is obviously technically possible as one of the BMW routes that I downloaded in the car definitely had way points, not just a series of destinations.

Is any of what I am describing possible?

I had thought that when I got this car I could get rid of Tom Tom but when I am organizing a meet and want to drive down specific nice roads I'm still going to have to use it.

Thanks
      04-21-2009, 03:09 AM   #2
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 Sportwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaders View Post
Hi All

What I want to be able to do (preferably in the car and on the site) is set a departure and destination point and then drag the route to force it to go down specific roads - like you can with Google maps. Instead all you can do is add places by place name. If I add a place name I am likely to go right into the center of town when that's not what I want to do.
Is any of what I am describing possible?
Maybe this is not what you are asking about, but on the map that shows up to the right of the destination entry boxes on the connectedrive website, you can mark the destinations manually (or enter them by address on the left) and then drag the route the same way you can on the regular googlemaps page to select different routing between the points. If you zoom in to the street level you can pinpoint the exact point you want to mark for the waypoint (I highly recommend zooming in, as doing it from the macro perspective may send you to some odd places).

As far as marking something as a waypoint vs. destination, I don't know if that is possible. I can only make this work by downloading to a USB stick and importing it to the car.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 04:26 AM   #3
Roaders
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

So you've not been able to download routes directly from the website to the car? I've tried that with a sample route and it didn't work - always get some error or other.

I want to take the car in for a software update for the DCT, it might also fix the issues with downloading from BMW online.
      04-22-2009, 03:36 PM   #4
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 Sportwagon

BMW Assist and all of the telematics are inoperable here in France (or most of Europe from what I can gather) for a US-spec car. Fortunately the USB import works although BMW continues to insist that it should not work. Probably they will soon find a way to disable this the same way they apparently disable other functions like traffic information.
Appreciate 0