BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

03-07-2007, 12:32 PM   #1
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

SMG versus DSG for M3

One interesting thing is BMW didn't put a stake in the ground on the automated trannys.... If you believe Scott26's comment that not everything is final yet.... I bet that BMW is still evaluating SMG versus DSG for the new M3.
      03-07-2007, 01:05 PM   #2
DonM3
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW e92 M3

What ever happens I would prefer either SMG or DSG available right from the start and not introduced 2 or 3 years after launch
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 01:11 PM   #3
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
One interesting thing is BMW didn't put a stake in the ground on the automated trannys.... If you believe Scott26's comment that not everything is final yet.... I bet that BMW is still evaluating SMG versus DSG for the new M3.

I completely agree & I hope they work out the kinks, I would hate to get DSG & then have some of the problems that the M5 boys have had w/ SMGIII & all the faults ect ect...

ps. what's up TBone didn't realize you were over here too from M5board...I'm DucatiBMW over there

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM3 View Post
What ever happens I would prefer either SMG or DSG available right from the start and not introduced 2 or 3 years after launch
I just don't feel like being a guinea pig...

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 01:24 PM   #4
DonM3
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but whats most probable
- SMG III from the start
-DSG from the start or
-dsg introduced after 2 or 3 years?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 01:32 PM   #5
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Burning and appropriate questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM3 View Post
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but whats most probable
- SMG III from the start
-DSG from the start or
-dsg introduced after 2 or 3 years?
I really want to know this as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 02:20 PM   #6
zengravy
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

I would love to know the answer to this as well. I, like many others it appears, would prefer to have either SMG or DSG available from the start of production rather than have to wait.
      03-07-2007, 02:32 PM   #7
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Having DSG for the new M3 is the most exciting development yet to me (beside the V8)

BMW is probably still working on this new transmission, which is why they won't announce when the car will be available (especially in the US, since we all seem to prefer the "automagic" kind of trans)

I hope they will release the car as early as possible in the US, even if DSG isn't ready. At least those of us waiting will be able to test drive the car with a manual, and the car rags will be able to review it. I personally will wait to BUY when the new trans is ready, and I understand I will be a bit of a guinea pig... and that is OK with me. I am willing to deal with some bugs if it has this new technology. On the other hand, I am not willing to deal with one single bug if it has SMG 3. By now, SMG 3 had better be perfect and I'd better love it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 03:10 PM   #8
CSL-Fanatik
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3, e46 M3 CSL

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Auto-Motor-Sport.de states NO SMG at the beginning, only a 6 speed manual. And then DSG after some time into the production. So they say, it will not come with SMG at all. I believe it.

Best regards
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 05:27 PM   #9
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post
Having DSG for the new M3 is the most exciting development yet to me (beside the V8)

BMW is probably still working on this new transmission, which is why they won't announce when the car will be available (especially in the US, since we all seem to prefer the "automagic" kind of trans)

I hope they will release the car as early as possible in the US, even if DSG isn't ready. At least those of us waiting will be able to test drive the car with a manual, and the car rags will be able to review it. I personally will wait to BUY when the new trans is ready, and I understand I will be a bit of a guinea pig... and that is OK with me. I am willing to deal with some bugs if it has this new technology. On the other hand, I am not willing to deal with one single bug if it has SMG 3. By now, SMG 3 had better be perfect and I'd better love it.
+1, exactly. I will pass on my allocation (spot #4) until I can get SMG or DSG.

On a related note look at the acceleration benefits you can get from a DSG type system. Here the 2 cars are really close with the 6M maybe a hair ahead. Either was the cars are quite closely matched. No look at how the 6M shifts impact acceleration after one or after a couple shifts. DSG has such short (practically instant) shifts that the thing acts in ways like a CVT (constantly variable transmission). The benefits to acceleration (not to mention mpg) are fantastic. Damn, I hope I don't have to wait for DSG or SMG at least much past 1st US allocations.

I guess BMW would seem quite behind the market without DGI and DSG on this flagship vehicle. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 05:32 PM   #10
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta View Post
I completely agree & I hope they work out the kinks, I would hate to get DSG & then have some of the problems that the M5 boys have had w/ SMGIII & all the faults ect ect...

ps. what's up TBone didn't realize you were over here too from M5board...I'm DucatiBMW over there

Hey man.... I am here because I put an order in for a E90 335xi and this is best source of info for the 335 like the M5board for the M5 / M6.

Touch wood, I have not had any problems with my SMG3 on the M6 but many have had problems. I have been stranded 3 times in my old E46 m3 with SMG2.

I just hope whether BMW does SMG or DSG, they have to make it reliable.

Oh....better avatars on this board
      03-07-2007, 05:41 PM   #11
verman
Rep
Drives: BMW 3

Agreed -- will pass on my deposit secured spot as well if BMW doesn't bring the SMG or DSG at or near release...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 09:22 PM   #12
CarbonE39m5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i/ 08' 528i

i dont even know what DSG is. i know what SMG is... i read somewhere DSG has a double clutch? what are the benefits?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 09:43 PM   #13
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

Time to man-up and go with a true manual trans!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 09:59 PM   #14
Pourky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i / E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
+1, exactly. I will pass on my allocation (spot #4) until I can get SMG or DSG.

On a related note look at the acceleration benefits you can get from a DSG type system. Here the 2 cars are really close with the 6M maybe a hair ahead. Either was the cars are quite closely matched. No look at how the 6M shifts impact acceleration after one or after a couple shifts. DSG has such short (practically instant) shifts that the thing acts in ways like a CVT (constantly variable transmission). The benefits to acceleration (not to mention mpg) are fantastic. Damn, I hope I don't have to wait for DSG or SMG at least much past 1st US allocations.

I guess BMW would seem quite behind the market without DGI and DSG on this flagship vehicle. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Sorry if this sounds dumb, but I want to know...how much time difference you think there is from a DSG Teanny to a Manual Teanny (With driver shifting real quick in the manual)???
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 11:58 PM   #15
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Can only make a reasonable guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pourky View Post
Sorry if this sounds dumb, but I want to know...how much time difference you think there is from a DSG Teanny to a Manual Teanny (With driver shifting real quick in the manual)???
Based on these figures you see almost a full second 0-60, granted in much slower cars. I would not expect the difference to be anywhere close to as large on a much faster car and one that would have such a better and quicker MT. I think the difference you could expect due solely to tranny performance would be about the fastest a human can shift which is about 0.3 seconds x number of gear changes to 60 (1). This would be the time lost between 6MT and 7DSG. The other important factor is consistency. DSG will be almost pefect and less then 10ms shifts EVERY time. If you are going to higher speeds the difference gets multiplied by the number of shifts involved and also adds even more becuase you are accelerating during that time with DSG and decelerating with MT! Over long distance such as on the track it seriously adds up.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 12:40 AM   #16
paulyd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

so is there even any noticeable shift shock at all?

and not a chance the mpg would be improved enough to avoid gas guzzler tax would it?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 07:46 AM   #17
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB View Post
Time to man-up and go with a true manual trans!

Man-Up, Slow-Down
      03-08-2007, 10:26 AM   #18
E36325is
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 1M coupe

My dealer claims that the DSG will be available from start??? Should I believe him?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 11:00 AM   #19
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by verman View Post
Agreed -- will pass on my deposit secured spot as well if BMW doesn't bring the SMG or DSG at or near release...
Same here. It will pain me to do it, but I will pass on my slot (#1) until SMG or DSG is available.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 11:17 AM   #20
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston DBS-R

Better Avatars???? T-bone I love your Laguna Seca Blu Oprah Avatar.........can't imagine you with anything else.................
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 11:21 AM   #21
DonM3
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I too will probably pass on my slot until SMG or DSG is available. Will be extremely dissappointed it SMG or DSG is'nt avaiable from the start. This uncertainty is killing me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILC32 View Post
Same here. It will pain me to do it, but I will pass on my slot (#1) until SMG or DSG is available.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 10:29 AM   #22
m34life
Registered
Rep
Drives: awM3vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotAlottaCash View Post
i dont even know what DSG is. i know what SMG is... i read somewhere DSG has a double clutch? what are the benefits?

http://cars.about.com/od/thingsyoune...owDSGworks.htm
Appreciate 0