BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

02-28-2009, 12:41 AM   #23
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
You forgot shipping on the Dinans ($21 for me), but that's peanuts. Also, I think you meant "springs", not "shocks" a couple places.
Thanks...opps. My typo! I stand corrected!
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 12:47 AM   #24
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMPOWER View Post
Rob, I am so jealous that you're going for the M school, I wish I could but ah I have to work. I have had two issues with my EDC one was a plug loose and the other one was a failed control module. Both issues took about a week to diagnose and fix. Trust me my service adviser knew me pretty well also. They fixed both without any issues but imagine if I had so aftermarket springs, that's why I would like to go your route when I pull the trigger. I used to have coil overs on my previous car and the ride was much to unforgiving for DC streets so a good compromise between handling and comfort is a must. Seems like these do the trick. I have 12000 miles on her now, and I am loving every minute of it. I don't even want to ask how many miles you have on yours, lol!
Yeah I got the offer to go while I was deployed and in Afghanistan so that was a GOOD day for me there. I was walking around the hospital smiling and I don't think anything could have messed up my day! LOL

So is your car fixed now? No other problems with your EDC? Yeah folks keep talking bout "just put your old springs back on!" if you have a problem but for folks like me who are NOT mechanics...that is a cost to that too! Anyway it rides pretty good...so smooth in fact that sometimes other than the drop I can't tell they've been added. As for mileage you'll hate me but I only have 4500 or so on my car! LOL Remember I've been away. However I've been driving it soo much that its lopsided and I am likely gonna sell my 997 as I am NOT driving it that much anymore and the wife is reminding me it sucks to have only 1 of 3 cars she's able to drive as 2 of 3 are sticks and she reallly dislikes driving stick although she knows how already. So a moment of peace for my another departed vehicle from the garage!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 04:24 AM   #25
IRMthree
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

let us know if the car settles lowers after some more miles
      02-28-2009, 08:32 AM   #26
BCMPOWER
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Silverstone II M3

Yea the EDC is all sorted now, honestly it felt like it was trial and error. Have you sold your 997? I have friend that is interested in your car. When you're at the M school take lots and lots of pics I know it's hard because you will probally be driving but do it for the less fortunate, lol!
      03-01-2009, 01:02 AM   #27
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMPOWER View Post
Yea the EDC is all sorted now, honestly it felt like it was trial and error. Have you sold your 997? I have friend that is interested in your car. When you're at the M school take lots and lots of pics I know it's hard because you will probally be driving but do it for the less fortunate, lol!
Hey...wow I wish I had know that about your friend. Sold it to the dealer this AM and took about a $2-4k hit probably on the deal but got some of it back on a deal on an 09 Cayenne S so I guess I am happy.

Will take some pics probably a whole harddrive's worth while I am there. Am sure Ase2dias will too!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 06:12 PM   #28
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
Local Dinan shop's discount offer is what pushed me off the fence along with the warranty. Add to it Dinan's R&D and reputation for performance and quality mods for BMW's only while H&R/Eibach/KW and others make stuff for a variety of focuses.....that just made the cost between doing aftermarket minimal at least in my opinion. Just gives you added peace of mind. (who hasn't seen the horor stories posted here by others with their cars?)

Estimate I worked out came to:
H&Rs - $250 with shipping (JSLevi, EAS and others)
Install - $400 labor ($100/hr for 4 hrs estimate local shop non dealer)
Allignment - $200-300 (est local dealer to get the specs right)
Rental - $50 (hopefully a shop would have included it but not guaranteed)
Aftermarket Total=$950-1000

Dinan's came to
Shocks - $899 (before discount)
Labor - $899 (book value charge by Dinan for 7.5 hrs total)
Dinan Rebate shocks 15% - $134.85 off
Dinan local shop install discount - $44.95 off
Dinan local Shop parts discount - $44.95 off
Dinan Total = Roughly $1573.25!

4 years or 50,000 miles Dinan warrant on their product=PRICELESS!
I just got a quote from a local aftermarket shop that was highly recommended by member Krueger. $250 for installation and $129 for alignment. That's pretty darn good!

Springs - $785 shipped (w/ rebate)
Installation - $250
Alignment - $129
Dinan total = $1,164.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 06:17 PM   #29
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
I just got a quote from a local aftermarket shop that was highly recommended by member Krueger. $250 for installation and $129 for alignment. That's pretty darn good!

Springs - $785 shipped (w/ discount)
Installation - $250
Alignment - $129
Dinan total = 1,164.
Yeah, that's pretty good indeed.

Does Dinan require the install to be done by a Dinan dealer for warranty coverage to be in effect?

Dinan website still says 15% off by the way. I don't see that going away anytime soon in this economy.

Anyway, looking forward to your review as well. I've been on the fence on this one for several months now...
      03-02-2009, 06:20 PM   #30
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Does Dinan require the install to be done by a Dinan dealer for warranty coverage to be in effect?
I haven't read the fine print. Hard to screw up a spring installation. My dealer wanted something like $1,100 for install and alignment!

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 06:27 PM   #31
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I haven't read the fine print. Hard to screw up a spring installation. My dealer wanted something like $1,100 for install and alignment!
I just went to the Dinan site and read the first order fine print. Nothing about requiring Dinan dealership install. Something about improper installation, but it is hard to screw that up indeed. $250 for install is pretty aggresive though. I don't see them doing all 4 corners in 2.5 hours, but I guess they really need the revenue.
      03-02-2009, 11:27 PM   #32
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
I just went to the Dinan site and read the first order fine print. Nothing about requiring Dinan dealership install. Something about improper installation, but it is hard to screw that up indeed. $250 for install is pretty aggresive though. I don't see them doing all 4 corners in 2.5 hours, but I guess they really need the revenue.
Read the fine print before I ordered and on the rebate form. Yes you can do the install yourself OR have it done by a non dinan shop. Seems you just need to submit pics as PROOF of install f not done by an authorized shop. You're price quote is awesome by the way...I mean that's $500 less than mine for the same product and warranty...my checkbook would have been outta my hand already man!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 05:56 PM   #33
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
Read the fine print before I ordered and on the rebate form. Yes you can do the install yourself OR have it done by a non dinan shop. Seems you just need to submit pics as PROOF of install f not done by an authorized shop. You're price quote is awesome by the way...I mean that's $500 less than mine for the same product and warranty...my checkbook would have been outta my hand already man!
GregW got the great install quote not me. I'm still considering. I'll ask my local guy tomorrow what he would charge.

What do you mean by "pics as proof of install though"? What exactly do they want you to prove by taking pics?
      03-03-2009, 06:18 PM   #34
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Dinan rebate requirements

Quote:
GregW got the great install quote not me. I'm still considering. I'll ask my local guy tomorrow what he would charge.

What do you mean by "pics as proof of install though"? What exactly do they want you to prove by taking pics?
The springs need to be installed on you car by March 31 to qualify for the rebate. A "dealer invoice" for the installation, or "a photo of the installed product", if self-installed, is needed, along with the purchase invoice.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 06:41 PM   #35
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The springs need to be installed on you car by March 31 to qualify for the rebate. A "dealer invoice" for the installation, or "a photo of the installed product", if self-installed, is needed, along with the purchase invoice.
I see. So the pics are to claim the rebate. Thanks. They did extend the rebate to 4/30/09 by the way as the last purchase date.
      03-03-2009, 06:45 PM   #36
addy85
Got beef?
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny212 View Post
I'll be honest here, i can barely notice the drop, I really don't think it's worth paying over $1k to have these things installed but that's just me.

Still love the ///M though
+1, it looks like stock to me

Special Thanks to AU335
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 06:53 PM   #37
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

I thought the frist pics were the afters. Honestly OP, congrats and thats a good looking car u have there, but you guys have got to b nuts paying this kind of money for springs. I was looking into these in the beginning as well till i saw the price. Thats just absurd. Thats like 300% markup, for the smallest drop. I know they put a lot of R&D into these these, or so they say, but how much do u really need to put to obtain this .5" drop? I could understand if this drop was bigger then the rest of the competition yet they do a lot of testing and guarantee their springs, but not in a .5" drop.

BTW, all the edc related problems have been do to installing issues. Most of them have been as simple as connecting the shock plug on the strut better ot tighter. The only issues I c with having lower springs is mayb quicker shock wearing, but thats about it.

Good luck either way.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 07:01 PM   #38
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

People are hung up on the drop issue. If I were to go for these, it would be about the increased stiffness--but not the type of increase you would get if you are constantly riding on the bump stops with the H&Rs for instance. Why do you want your cars aggresively dropped anyway? Apart from the riding on the bump stops issue, you alter the suspension geometry significantly. How is that desirable? All of the reviews I've read about Dinan suspension mods indicate that they get this kind of thing right, in some cases with test data to back it up in terms of lap times and that kind of thing.
      03-03-2009, 09:43 PM   #39
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
People are hung up on the drop issue. If I were to go for these, it would be about the increased stiffness--but not the type of increase you would get if you are constantly riding on the bump stops with the H&Rs for instance. Why do you want your cars aggresively dropped anyway? Apart from the riding on the bump stops issue, you alter the suspension geometry significantly. How is that desirable? All of the reviews I've read about Dinan suspension mods indicate that they get this kind of thing right, in some cases with test data to back it up in terms of lap times and that kind of thing.
Lucid, Lucid, Lucid.

Its form over function. These guys are all about the looks. They have no concept of replacement springs as a way to change the dynamics of the car. Their simple formula for value is inches/dollars. Bigger is better.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 09:50 PM   #40
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
Lucid, Lucid, Lucid.

Its form over function. These guys are all about the looks. They have no concept of replacement springs as a way to change the dynamics of the car. Their simple formula for value is inches/dollars. Bigger is better.
Yeah RJ...my bad!
      03-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #41
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

The local guy quoted me 5 hours of labor for the install on this. Alignment would be extra.
      03-04-2009, 06:01 PM   #42
503motoring
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M6 Storm Trooper

Hey guys, Tim from 503 here. I wanted to chime in on the rate and hours being quoted. I can certainly quote someone 4-5 hours and charge accordingly but that would include taking lunch, going to the restroom and basically loafing around. The job does not take that long. I would prefer to quote an honest rate for the work done and then create a good relationship with the customer that will ultimately result in referrals and more work. Just how we operate. Greg W's car is in great hands and we will post some photos when done if he is ok with that.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2009, 06:17 PM   #43
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

bump, any news after the install, how is it going?

Any interested, Dinan extended the 15% discount
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2009, 10:17 PM   #44
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Yeah, that's pretty good indeed.

Dinan website still says 15% off by the way. I don't see that going away anytime soon in this economy.

Anyway, looking forward to your review as well. I've been on the fence on this one for several months now...
Damn, I really wish this economy hadn't kicked my company in the balls like it has because I wouldn't have had to cancel my order for the //M----I swear you and I think EXACTLY ALIKE on about every mod. I don't think there is a member I have more respect for or trust. I had planned on buying exhaust and springs and to put them on right after break-in and every question you have had about things I have had and thought I was crazy for a while.

I wanted the VS exhaust but wanted to see what other "cautious" modders thought about TI holding up in the northeast winters. So when you jumped, had i already had my car, I would have jumped the next day, you were all I needed to feel better about taking the plunge. I think we think the same way when it comes to fiddling with the suspension and I DEFINITELY THINK Dinan springs are the way to go. I think if someone is willing to pay the extra money they will be a solid mod that will last as long as the OEMs and have no ill effect on the EDC shocks/struts.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0