BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #23
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

I agree it'd be around $1K max. It's just a paint job, unless a bumper tab was broken and you need a new one.

At any rate, if you have uninsured/underinsured motorist, just report it to the insurance company and tell them you were hit while parked. For that little damage, you don't need witnesses or any crap like that.

If you don't have UM, your collision would cover it, but you'd have to pay your full deductible, plus it'd affect your record. In that case, I'd tell them the truth and let them decide what to do. But in that case, you'd probably be better off just paying for it, especially if you have a $1K deductible.

Finally, forget the police. First of all, they don't get involved in minor accidents in private property. And most importantly, even if they did, a police report is an automatic Carfax notification, which is just not worth for that little damage. Lesson learned man. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #24
J-9
Converting 93 octane to noise.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F85 X5M

He caused the accident, not your parking. File a claim and get the police involved if you need to.

That said, if you didn't call the police and file the claim, it may be too late.
      02-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #25
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
on his car this will add up to $3,000- at least

I noticed that you always seem to comment on body repairs with totally inaccurate information. No offense, but like I said before to another one of your posts, please refrain.

3000 dollars to repair that bumper? Who are you sending to? God?

A reputable body shop can repair it for less than 1k. And even that is a bit much.

I'm sorry for the rant again, but as someone who works in the body shop, and who's father has been in business for over 17 years.. It kinda erks me when wrongful info is posted.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #26
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
I noticed that you always seem to comment on body repairs with totally inaccurate information. No offense, but like I said before to another one of your posts, please refrain.

3000 dollars to repair that bumper? Who are you sending to? God?

A reputable body shop can repair it for less than 1k. And even that is a bit much.

I'm sorry for the rant again, but as someone who works in the body shop, and who's father has been in business for over 17 years.. It kinda erks me when wrongful info is posted.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #27
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

just pay to repaint it. Dont make any record on the carfax
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #28
FVM3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
on his car this will add up to $3,000- at least
Are you kidding me? $3000? Even dealer charges only $400-$500 to repaint the bumper. #000 is more then enoguh to replace the entire bumper and paint it
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #29
mike33176
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez/ Black, E90 M3

Anytime someone says something like" Let's keep it quiet or between you and I" , you're bound to get screwed. Call and get a police report giving all of his info and the details. Tell them the truth that, the guys tried to con you into not calling them and, now you think you're being scammed. Good Luck, after the fact is hard to prove
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #30
MatthewDavid
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [0.00]
2012 E92 M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
I had someone back into my front bumper, puncturing it. For a new bumper with labor it was about $1k. I can't imagine this being much more. Looks like it got your rim too, no?
      02-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #31
FVM3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike33176 View Post
Anytime someone says something like" Let's keep it quiet or between you and I" , you're bound to get screwed. Call and get a police report giving all of his info and the details. Tell them the truth that, the guys tried to con you into not calling them and, now you think you're being scammed. Good Luck, after the fact is hard to prove
I dont like to work this way because this was what i did before and found out that it screwed up the resale value. The carfax will say accident involved once you called the police/ reported to insurance company. Lets say I pay 1-2k for the repair but if i dont the resale value will be reduced much more then that
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #32
mike33176
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez/ Black, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherchenm View Post
I dont like to work this way because this was what i did before and found out that it screwed up the resale value. The carfax will say accident involved once you called the police/ reported to insurance company. Lets say I pay 1-2k for the repair but if i dont the resale value will be reduced much more then that
Your choice brother. Just cause you get a police report doesn't mean you have to got thru insurance. It gives you a HUGE leg to stand on if he doesn't take care of it on his own with cash. If he F-cks you around, Then you tell your insurance co, "I have a police report. The man said he would take care of it without getting insurance involved and I chose to get a police report in case he doesn't work in good faith". Always cover your own as-. Watching the game , good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #33
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Just pay to have it fixed yourself and learn from this incident. I used to pick the parking spot next to the stripped lines because I know that side of the car will be safe from idiots denting my car. Well, that was until people like the OP came along. Now, I pick parking spots next to curbs.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #34
PeteM6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP

Lol please call and file a claim against this guy. Backing without safety supersedes all... And I do mean ALL...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #35
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

I had to have my rear bumper repainted after I scraped it against a Suburban's unpainted, detached metal bumper (Suburban was fine, of course) and it cost $800 at one of the best paint/body shops around here (Berli's in Pflugerville). Would have been a lot cheaper with non-metallic paint since they might have been able to do a spot repair, but there you go. I can't imagine the front bumper would be substantially different cost-wise. There was a tiny, TINY scrape on my rear quarter panel as well but I opted to have them use touch-up there because repainting the entire quarter panel would have involved taking the whole side of the car off and respraying a panel that goes from the rear wheels all the way up and over the roof, for a total of about $2100. The touch-up actually looks fantastic too.

As for what to do, the only reason not to report it to insurance would be if a premium hike might ultimately be more than the out-of-pocket repair cost (assuming you have sufficient funds lying around to pay for it yourself). But since this will totally be his fault, you'll have no hike, so I'd file the claim. He deserves it for being a jerk anyway. The fact that you're illegally parked is irrelevant.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 02-06-2012 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #36
ksflatlander
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Just had a similar repair done to one of my cars. VERY similar, almost exact as a matter of fact. $1,000 will cover it. With some dough left over.

I'd call the guys bluff. Tell him the way you were parked is irrelevant - he hit you and even if the police do ticket you, it's MUCH smaller fee than repairing the car. Tell him PAY UP or you are reporting it. Bottom line. PUSH BACK - YOU ARE IN THE RIGHT!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #37
MA///M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 DCT COUPE

are you here in boston? anyway, it is up to the other guy to prove you were illegally parked, if he choses to fight it. Call your insurance co (not the police, they do nothing here in mass-we have "no fault" insurance). The worst case scenario-you report it, he fights it, you end up in traffic court and the judge finds you both at fault, 50-50.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #38
BreakPoint
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc
I agree it'd be around $1K max. It's just a paint job, unless a bumper tab was broken and you need a new one.

At any rate, if you have uninsured/underinsured motorist, just report it to the insurance company and tell them you were hit while parked. For that little damage, you don't need witnesses or any crap like that.

If you don't have UM, your collision would cover it, but you'd have to pay your full deductible, plus it'd affect your record. In that case, I'd tell them the truth and let them decide what to do. But in that case, you'd probably be better off just paying for it, especially if you have a $1K deductible.

Finally, forget the police. First of all, they don't get involved in minor accidents in private property. And most importantly, even if they did, a police report is an automatic Carfax notification, which is just not worth for that little damage. Lesson learned man. Good luck.
Police absolutely get involved in private property motor vehicle accidents..ask me how I know.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #39
hlmiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M '10 M5 '05 M3 '12 CRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakPoint View Post
Police absolutely get involved in private property motor vehicle accidents.
Not unless and only if a law was broken, assuming you mean the filing of a criminal report and/or charge.

Assuming, for example, that this incident was on private property, there would be no public law prohibiting parking in the striped area. Except for very limited exceptions the property owner has the right to control access and use. Public activity would not be at issue.

The incident here would simply be a private injury to privately-owned property that occurred on other privately-owned property.

Unless there was some criminal intent to injure or destroy, public intoxication, failure to render aid or report to owner, disturbing the peace, trespass, threat, etc., there would be no law broken and no public involvement. Thus no police involvement of a formal nature. (Making an appearance to encourage a peaceful resolution notwithstanding.)
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #40
SDPRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Space Gray/MT

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 e92  [0.00]
Depends on some states and local laws but in San Diego, Ca the police don't write collision reports for non-injury accidents. Plus you can't receive a parking ticket, it's too late and has to be witnessed by the meter maid guy or a cop. You have his info so just file a claim. Illegally parked or not the other shouldn't of hit you.
      02-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #41
TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiS5 View Post
From my understanding it doesn't matter if you were illegally parked. He hit you. He should've checked his surroundings before moving and if he didn't have sufficient room to move he should've gotten you towed. I'm pretty sure you'd be ok filing a claim, discussing it with your broker or an agent wouldn't hurt I'd imagine.
I agree. It is still the driver's responsibility to avoid contact with other vehicles and pedestrians.

A jay walker doesn't grant carte blanche...nor does an illegally parked car.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #42
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

He really tried to bully you? Wow. I'd make sure I screw him over.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #43
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

Ins company will definlty assign some comp neg to you and depending on laws in your state any comp neg could possibly bar you from recovery from the other parties ins
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 11:16 PM   #44
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv135i View Post
Ins company will definlty assign some comp neg to you and depending on laws in your state any comp neg could possibly bar you from recovery from the other parties ins

not true.. This was in MA? I think.. anyway, even if you are in a comp neg state, you were not moving, parked and he hit you. Regardless if the vehicle is illegally parked or not, it's like saying you can hit someone b/c they were in the wrong place. You def should have called the police just to document the incident as once you file the claim, they adjusters are going to have to investigate and the police report would state you were not moving. However, based on the area of impact on your car, it is almost impossible for you to be charged with any fault as the damages are to the left most rear portion of the car and could only really have arisen from someone backing out and clipping your car. In any event go through his insurance to avoid and deductible. If you need any help, feel free to message me. I do this for a living. I am writing quick just to give you an idea. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0