BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

03-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #89
e92zero
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BW

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I am a crappy welder myself. However, I've speced a lot of welding as an engineer and know a good weld from a bad one, cosmetically and otherwise. Thus I completely agree here at least cosmetically. Titanium is known to support some absolutely stunning welds cosmetically. No, they don't have to look this good to perform, but they are an indication of the welders skill and experience.

Here are some top notch Ti welds from a cosmetic perspective. They are like jewelry or art to my eyes... :
wow! looks like the bottom bracket area of a bike frame. Who is the manufacturer if I may ask? There aren't that many titanium bike frame these days.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #90
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I am a crappy welder myself. However, I've speced a lot of welding as an engineer and know a good weld from a bad one, cosmetically and otherwise. Thus I completely agree here at least cosmetically. Titanium is known to support some absolutely stunning welds cosmetically. No, they don't have to look this good to perform, but they are an indication of the welders skill and experience.

Here are some top notch Ti welds from a cosmetic perspective. They are like jewelry or art to my eyes... :
      03-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #91
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Looks like a bike frame
      03-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #92
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Yes, bike frame. Welds of this aesthetic quality or close to it are not uncommon in the bike industry, there are a wide variety of manufacturers who build Ti frame, both road and off road. The welding is all done by hand, no robots.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #93
MajHobbyShop
RCUtopia
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Thumbs up Defiv titanium //M diff lockdown

Ok here it is #01 for the Ti setup.

Nice work Rick. Thanks for all your help and expertise.
Only had a few miles on my new diff lock system and first thing I did was ck for some wheel hop. Lets just say that's not a problem anymore.
I'm not much for words when it comes to posting review on forums. But here it goes. My main goal was to solve my issues with the more pronounce wheel hop i was getting do to more HP from the SC. Just like what I said before that is no longer an issue. The car feels more sold/controllable when putting power to the road.
NickB316 reviews for the diff lock seems to be encouraging the same for me. But would like to put more hrs on the road to see if anymore positive or negative situation arise.

Again thanks Rick for making/installing this great product in my //M
Also was a pleasure to have meet you. The wash and detail was a nice touch. Cool

regards
Maj
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 01:36 AM   #94
defivfab
Rep
Drives: in pieces...

Next Ti brace I make will feature close ups of welds,since talking about any seasoned fab guys welds is akin to talking about his momma... The bike frame was either in a media tumbler(most likely) or surface conditioned/polished in some manner. If indeed that wasn't robotic welds, then that guy is certainly gifted. My main concern is not to have a weld competition with the rest of the world, It's making sure things don't break and perform the task as to which they were intended. All visible gusset pics above were intentionally "rainbowed" on a second pass for visual flair if you will,since 90% of anyone buying a welded titanium anything expects to get something pretty,lightweight and functional.All actual tube joints are silver to spec.The reflective nature of the gusset welds against the dull background make photographing it a pain and really don't do it justice.I'll surface condition the next one just to prove a point, and since I'm officially irritated... Oh yeah, here's a pic of a Ti dragster jack handle that I welded that's been surface conditioned
Name:  IMG_20130330_022000.jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  24.2 KB
Yeah,that's this post being written in the background. Any questions?
To save myself the time of answering any conceivable questions regarding why I chose not to surface condition these, the answer is that they don't fit in the tumbler I have access to, and after investing a couple days in making a vessel to weld these in any extra time/costs added to the already preposterous venture of a run of any specialty produced piece being a one man operation- deterred me from taking it any further than what was necessary. We good with the whole welding bit now? Great.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 01:33 PM   #95
NikB316
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition, F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajHobbyShop View Post
Ok here it is #01 for the Ti setup.

Nice work Rick. Thanks for all your help and expertise.
Only had a few miles on my new diff lock system and first thing I did was ck for some wheel hop. Lets just say that's not a problem anymore.
I'm not much for words when it comes to posting review on forums. But here it goes. My main goal was to solve my issues with the more pronounce wheel hop i was getting do to more HP from the SC. Just like what I said before that is no longer an issue. The car feels more sold/controllable when putting power to the road.
NickB316 reviews for the diff lock seems to be encouraging the same for me. But would like to put more hrs on the road to see if anymore positive or negative situation arise.

Again thanks Rick for making/installing this great product in my //M
Also was a pleasure to have meet you. The wash and detail was a nice touch. Cool

regards
Maj

That Ti one has some sex appeal! Hey Rick how much for a swap???

I kid I kid. Glad to hear it helped with the wheel hop.

2014 M5 Competition Alpine/Sakhir
BMS Tune. Undercover Performance Custom Downpipes & Connector. H&R 10mm Spacers. BMW CF Rear Spoiler. IND Cosmetics. ALP & BEL Radar & Laser.
2011 Space Grey E92 M3 AA Gen 2 Lvl 3 586whp 398wtq SAE (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #96
tres
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335is 6MT

nice
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #97
Blaizon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe & 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
I guess you don't know what the "N" stands for in NVH?

I can produce wheel hop in this car in situations that the car was most certainly designed for and don't remotely constitute abuse.

I like this product. Wheel hop really happens, broken diff bolts really happens and there is room for improvement. It's been well explained in a logical manner that makes sense to me (I am an engineer if that helps). While solid diff bushings would get you most of the way there, this product still provides significant improvement from what I can tell.

The issue for me is the price. I'd be in at half price.
Of course I do. It was whining before, just a lil more pronounced now though *I should've stated that before*.
      04-14-2013, 12:18 AM   #98
defivfab
Rep
Drives: in pieces...

Ti #2 in progress, as promised here's pics of the structural welds...pre surface conditioning....
And the final incarnation of the 4130 CM one, obviously before powdercoating
Name:  IMG_20130414_010620.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  40.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20130413_230934.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  193.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #99
Lalit@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Tributo, Superfast, M5cs

Getting mine installed right now
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #100
uniter
Black on Black on Black.
Rep
Drives: 335i/6mt Sport,Nav,Prem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalit@AUTOcouture View Post
Getting mine installed right now
Good to meet you guys, you have a real clean stand-up shop . AUTOcouture is like M car heaven.

LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::BIEHNTUNE FLASH::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::OS GIKEN 1.5 WAY::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #101
Lalit@autocouture
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniter View Post
Good to meet you guys, you have a real clean stand-up shop . AUTOcouture is like M car heaven.
Travis, it was a pleasure meeting you guys. I can't say enough about the brace, it just makes the car feel right.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #102
Tim B.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Jet Black E92 M3

any updates here?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 07:29 AM   #103
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by defivfab View Post
Next Ti brace I make will feature close ups of welds,since talking about any seasoned fab guys welds is akin to talking about his momma... The bike frame was either in a media tumbler(most likely) or surface conditioned/polished in some manner. If indeed that wasn't robotic welds, then that guy is certainly gifted. My main concern is not to have a weld competition with the rest of the world, It's making sure things don't break and perform the task as to which they were intended. All visible gusset pics above were intentionally "rainbowed" on a second pass for visual flair if you will,since 90% of anyone buying a welded titanium anything expects to get something pretty,lightweight and functional.All actual tube joints are silver to spec.The reflective nature of the gusset welds against the dull background make photographing it a pain and really don't do it justice.I'll surface condition the next one just to prove a point, and since I'm officially irritated... Oh yeah, here's a pic of a Ti dragster jack handle that I welded that's been surface conditioned
Attachment 838635
Yeah,that's this post being written in the background. Any questions?
To save myself the time of answering any conceivable questions regarding why I chose not to surface condition these, the answer is that they don't fit in the tumbler I have access to, and after investing a couple days in making a vessel to weld these in any extra time/costs added to the already preposterous venture of a run of any specialty produced piece being a one man operation- deterred me from taking it any further than what was necessary. We good with the whole welding bit now? Great.
you are still convinced those are top notch welds. amazing.

guys down here at NASA weld on things like shuttle parts, and they are absolutely perfect. welds like the bike a few posts up are done at that level hand held all day long. it does not require a robot. send us the radiography from your welds.
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #104
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid View Post
you are still convinced those are top notch welds. amazing.

guys down here at NASA weld on things like shuttle parts, and they are absolutely perfect. welds like the bike a few posts up are done at that level hand held all day long. it does not require a robot. send us the radiography from your welds.
+1

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #105
NikB316
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition, F83 M4

I love how the negativity in this thread has come down from "this product doesn't do crap" to "the welds aren't as good as NASA".

2014 M5 Competition Alpine/Sakhir
BMS Tune. Undercover Performance Custom Downpipes & Connector. H&R 10mm Spacers. BMW CF Rear Spoiler. IND Cosmetics. ALP & BEL Radar & Laser.
2011 Space Grey E92 M3 AA Gen 2 Lvl 3 586whp 398wtq SAE (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #106
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I may try the AKG 95D poly diff bushings as preventative medicine.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 07:38 AM   #107
Aus_M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Well this brace does sound interesting as I have always found M cars wheel hop too much. I would like to hear some more feedback from those running it though.

And I know nothing about welds at all but seriously, until one cracks or drops out of the bottom of a car can everyone stop having a pissing match.

If you don't trust the welds then don't buy one, I would think a well know fabrication shop could do a decent basic weld or they wouldn't still be here.

That's all for me....
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #108
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikB316 View Post
I love how the negativity in this thread has come down from "this product doesn't do crap" to "the welds aren't as good as NASA".
Reviewers and supplier brought much of this on themselves.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #109
Lalit@autocouture
United_States
Rep

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...7#post13982457

Appreciate 0