BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

11-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
protein
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 11 e92 M3 ZCP

Dealership issue... legal recourse?

In September of this year I traded in a 2011 M3 upon purchase of a new vehicle. At the time of trade in the M3 had an aftermarket exhaust (Remus Race and Eisenman connecting pipes) and spacers (Macht Schnell). These parts were not factored in to the value of the trade. I requested an extra day to take the car home and remove the parts so that they could be sold, and was offered by the sales manager to instead have the dealer service dept remove the parts for me minus a reasonable labor fee. I agreed and left the car. After a month of calling the dealership weekly to determine a time I'd be able to bring the stock exhaust in and have the service department remove the aftermarket parts, and being told every time I called that the service manager would call me first thing in the morning to schedule an appointment, nothing had been done. Finally after 2 months had gone by and my patience was long gone, I was told by the same sales manager that the M3 had been sold and I'd not be able to receive the parts, however they had gone online and determined what they believed was a "fair" value of the parts used, and subtracted 3 hours of labor from that value. The resulting value they were prepared to issue a check for was $300. I determined (obviously), that the value of the parts used was much greater than they had, and that 3 hours labor to replace a catback exhaust and remove wheels spacers was ridiculous. They have not moved from this number, and when I ended the conversation in favor of legal counsel, the sales manager apologized and reported he would escalate the matter to a vice president, as the dealership currently didn't have a gm.

My question is, what recourse is there here if any?

The dealership in question has proven to have absolutely zero respect for customer service or value. I have purchased 2 vehicles from them in the past 12 months and have been treated as an ignorant pest in return.

Last edited by protein; 11-12-2011 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
WWONG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d

Buying two cars then trading them in does not equate to you paying $100k. By that logic, I've spent 200k at my dealership.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by protein View Post
In September of this year I traded in a 2011 M3 upon purchase of a new vehicle. At the time of trade in the M3 had an aftermarket exhaust (Remus Race and Eisenman connecting pipes) and spacers (Macht Schnell). These parts were not factored in to the value of the trade. I requested an extra day to take the car home and remove the parts so that they could be sold, and was offered by the sales manager to instead have the dealer service dept remove the parts for me minus a reasonable labor fee. I agreed and left the car. After a month of calling the dealership weekly to determine a time I'd be able to bring the stock exhaust in and have the service department remove the aftermarket parts, and being told every time I called that the service manager would call me first thing in the morning to schedule an appointment, nothing had been done. Finally after 2 months had gone by and my patience was long gone, I was told by the same sales manager that the M3 had been sold and I'd not be able to receive the parts, however they had gone online and determined what they believed was a "fair" value of the parts used, and subtracted 3 hours of labor from that value. The resulting value they were prepared to issue a check for was $300. I determined (obviously), that the value of the parts used was much greater than they had, and that 3 hours labor to replace a catback exhaust and remove wheels spacers was ridiculous. They have not moved from this number, and when I ended the conversation in favor of legal counsel, the sales manager apologized and reported he would escalate the matter to a vice president, as the dealership currently didn't have a gm.

My question is, what recourse is there here if any?

The dealership in question has proven to have absolutely zero respect for customer service or value. I have purchased 2 vehicles from them in the past 12 months totaling nearly $100,000 and have been treated as an ignorant pest in return.
If you signed the title over to the dealership without having in writing that they are obligated to return the aftermarket parts to you, you are outta luck! I had a similar situation but I told them I wouldn't sign the title over until I got the parts back. The longer they waited, the longer they would pay to keep that car on their lot so it was motivation to get it done quickly.
      11-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
protein
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 11 e92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWONG View Post
Buying two cars then trading them in does not equate to you paying $100k. By that logic, I've spent 200k at my dealership.
I'll amend the post verbiage. Regardless, to treat any customer this way let alone a returning customer who has purchased 2 vehicles of that value in 12 months is inexcusable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
If you signed the title over to the dealership without having in writing that they are obligated to return the aftermarket parts to you, you are outta luck! I had a similar situation but I told them I wouldn't sign the title over until I got the parts back. The longer they waited, the longer they would pay to keep that car on their lot so it was motivation to get it done quickly.
The dealership does not refute the agreement we had. The issue is the value they determined they owe.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
The dealership does not refute the agreement we had. The issue is the value they determined they owe.
Still... there was no agreement in writing on such value, correct?

It is the same thing. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
taylorcoleman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

That's bs. Sorry to hear about it. If you can't get it resolved than that's what the district justice is for.

Easy to do.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #7
robb7979
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Why are they charging you the labor for parts they didn't remove? That might be the only wiggle room you have here.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Quote:
The dealership in question has proven to have absolutely zero respect for customer service or value. I have purchased 2 vehicles from them in the past 12 months and have been treated as an ignorant pest in return.
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice.......
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #9
Kaylin032
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and 335d

Garage List
Arbitration

See if there's an arbitration agreement somewhere. I'm pretty sure there's one in all the stuff I signed on the last 2 cars I bought at BMW of Dallas.

K
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 05:15 PM   #10
BMWJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb7979 View Post
Why are they charging you the labor for parts they didn't remove? That might be the only wiggle room you have here.
This
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #11
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Is it just me or what in the world would you bring a car to trade into a dealer and expect them to take off your parts or even ask them to? Why didn't you simply put it back to stock ahead of time and go from there like every other thousands of modders do? You cant epxect a dealer to really do that for you and then give you what you think the aftermarket parts are worth
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 09:36 AM   #12
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Try going to small claims court but you'd be wise to try and get something in writing from them (such as an email) acknowledging your aftermarket parts piece of the deal. You'll have an uphill battle without having things spelled out in your original paperwork.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 01:24 AM   #13
Titanium Silver
Four Star General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

You got screwed by the stealership...

First of all, you never should trust a car dealership on their 'word'. Probably everyone on here has been burned or been misled by one dealership or another. Unless you have something in writing by them, never trust what they say or agree to.

I doubt your used wheel spacers and exhaust - $300 are worth the amount of time and money you would have to spend on legal counsel to handle this issue. I would just walk away and take it as a lesson learned.

It totally sucks, but if it makes you feel any better... I can personally say you are not the only one who has been screwed by a dealership. I would take the $300 and forget about it. If you can afford to trade in your 2011 M3 for a newer vehicle, it sounds like you can afford to charge this one to the game.

E92 M3 | Jet Black | All OEM Everything
E30 M3 | Alpine White | Mostly OEM
Appreciate 0