BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

10-14-2014, 11:28 AM   #111
timo1980
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

I wish there was a way to just plug in a chromecast to the nav screen, and then be able to cast the display of your phone to the nav wirelessly.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2014, 08:44 PM   #112
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamore View Post
Have you looked into using the RGB input on the MMI?

I'm dying to know of the improvement of picture quality if any. I have no doubt it will improve the "noise" but I'm hoping for a better 1:1 pixel ratio.

It would go something like this:
Android HDMI>HDMI 2 VGA>Home made circuit>MMI RGB (sync on green)

VGA has separate horizontal sync and vertical sync. The "home made circuit" will combine H/V sync to the one wire sync ("sync on green") making it (hopefully) compatible. I found a bunch of schematics for the circuit but just haven't grown the balls to execute it yet..
I haven't, actually. Making boards isn't my forte, for lack of a better term *lol*. Here's the update, though.

Yesterday I mentioned splitting up the features among other items. With the desire to have a DVR, I've been looking for one over the past few months, and finally settled on this one:
http://www.amazon.com/PowerUCC-Panor...dp/B00JFUU5OM/

It is feature-rich, has an easy to use touchscreen, has 160 degrees of viewing, and shoots in 1080p. There's a robust community forum to provide support https://forum.dashcamtalk.com/forums/powerucc.40/ and one of the most import things, it does a/v out. Luckily, I was ending my ban and found a member selling one for a nice discount, so I picked it up and then ordered a 2.5mm to composite cable. The plan was to hook it up to the modmynav box so I can play/display video on it. I took everything out and hooked it up and whenever I plugged the AV in and selected the appropriate modmynav input, it wouldn't display on the CCC display, but the display on the camera itself went black. I spent around 20 mins adjusting some setting to no avail. I started horking around with the composite cable, and it turns out it has to be connected to the modmynav unit like so:

As you can see in the image, it displays on the CCC.

When connected via the A/V out, navigation of the menus is no longer executed via the camera touchscreen, it is done by the 3 buttons on the back of the camera. And while the DVR is recording, it display real-time on the CCC screen.

I'll work on mounting it permanently in the next couple days. This addition negates having to replace the dash. Instead, I'll probably be creating a flip up panel enclosure for the tablet so that I can flip it down to see the CCC screen when necessary

Last edited by whats77inaname; 10-15-2014 at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 03:05 PM   #113
tasi333
EmZilla
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo1980 View Post
I wish there was a way to just plug in a chromecast to the nav screen, and then be able to cast the display of your phone to the nav wirelessly.
I actually did this with a chromecast already, here's my post on it:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1015125
VF 700 SC | Akro Evo | Brembo GT | PSi Raceline Coilovers (Ohlins Dampers | Eibach Springs | Ground Control Plates) | MRF & Derlin Bushings | VerstraBe DCT Shifters | 3F Diffuser | Arkam bumper | Duke Dynamics CF trunk | CF Interior | CF Mirrors
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 12:13 PM   #114
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Camera mounted.

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 08:16 PM   #115
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Last week I finally finished putting this together. I disassembled one of my GoPro mounts to secure everything as I'd like. In this video, you can see the wide viewing angle. Shot in 1920x1080p @ 30FPS. Sound is disabled, and I didn't get the GPS which tracks speeds for obvious reasons *lol*.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 11-04-2014 at 10:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 11:59 AM   #116
findlay234
Rep
Drives: e92 330i, Space Grey

Car radio and android voice directions at the same time.....

Hi, this looks like a great build and a great guide. I will be doing this to my late '09 e92 very shortly.

One question I have is how you might have audio from both the car's radio and the android navigation working through the speakers at the same time. Might be a little tricky and potentially the only answer is to use radio on the android. I'd rather not use radio or music over IP as the reception can be less than perfect on motorways in the UK. I wonder if there is a solution for sat radio or DAB on android with a USB antenna?

Ideally being able to play radio through the car while navigating on the android with voice instructions is the goal. Any tips very much welcomed... otherwise ill investigate and report back.

Cheers
Fin
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 02:55 PM   #117
jdamore
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Check this out!
http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/6/749...tures-ces-2015
      01-06-2015, 03:04 PM   #118
jdamore
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by findlay234 View Post
Hi, this looks like a great build and a great guide. I will be doing this to my late '09 e92 very shortly.

One question I have is how you might have audio from both the car's radio and the android navigation working through the speakers at the same time. Might be a little tricky and potentially the only answer is to use radio on the android. I'd rather not use radio or music over IP as the reception can be less than perfect on motorways in the UK. I wonder if there is a solution for sat radio or DAB on android with a USB antenna?

Ideally being able to play radio through the car while navigating on the android with voice instructions is the goal. Any tips very much welcomed... otherwise ill investigate and report back.

Cheers
Fin
Playing radio/cd from the car completely disables the aux input (your Android) so what you are asking is not possible.

My solution from poor cellular service while streaming music is to use Spotify (premium) since it will download music locally so you can listen "offline". Not sure if Spotify is available in the UK but, it works well!
      01-07-2015, 05:56 AM   #119
Gizzy's_M235i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1

FS: Bmw CCC Idrive multimedia interface for sale here. Bought new off eBay, but never installed. Set up a mobile PC or display you phone on nav screen.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 02:29 PM   #120
findlay234
Rep

Hi, thanks! That's what I suspected. I wonder if I can use a second speaker so have radio and Google maps directions on separate audio systems... Clearly a little annoying if I want to go back and forth but not the end of the world. A wholly android solution may be best. Yes we have Spotify so will look into it. I'm also investigating DAB radio for android and whether there are any USB receivers and apps that might work... then its a pretty complete solution. Interestingly I've also investigated gesture control with Leap Motion. Looks like theyve got a solution that works with android but there isn't a developer (as far as I've seen that is) that's developed an app for it to control that standard mouse cursor in android. May see if a few people I know can help.

Again, thanks for the help, seeing this and your other posts have provided a lot of inspiration
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 08:51 PM   #121
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Yeah, I'm ahead of the curve
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 08:54 PM   #122
jdamore
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
Yeah, I'm ahead of the curve
Please do tell

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 09:34 PM   #123
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Please do tell

Soon, very soon
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 11:59 AM   #124
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Update to this thread:

I had to put this on the back burner for a bit as I had some other things in the fire. Now that I have a bit more free time, and things seem to be falling into place, I thought I should update this a bit.

First things first, I found a killer deal on a CIC upgrade, so I had to jump on it. The HD screen was the main reason I purchased it. I installed everything this past Saturday.

I contacted Alex@Alpine http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=642266 for the coding.

This is what I asked for:
1) CIC retrofit coding
2) DVD in Motion enabled
3) Euro MDM
4) Delete Amber front headlights (might have this, have to verify)
5) the Window safety feature

In addition, he also did this:
1) shortened the duration I have to hold the lock to have the mirrors fold from 3 secs to 1 sec.
2) Added "DSC off" as an option to the "M" menu
3) Removed amber lights as part of the welcome lights

I paid $60. For everything. He helped me diagnose an install issue (forgot to move a plug over) and everything works like a champ. I could not be more pleased with his service or professionalism, and I greatly appreciate what he did to help me. HIGHLY recommended.

Where does this leave the Android project? Well, it changed it a bit as I will no longer be using the tablet. I've been doing some research and found what looks to be an awesome solution that will integrate Android, so right now I'm waiting for some add'l pricing. The equipment should be ordered sometime in the next week, so I'll update this thread as things start to move along.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2015, 08:20 AM   #125
jdamore
Captain
Rep

Congrats on the successful CIC upgrade! How does Alex do the coding.. Remote desktop session?

I'm seriously jealous.

Cant wait to hear about the specs of the new video interface!
      06-28-2015, 02:43 PM   #126
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Congrats on the successful CIC upgrade! How does Alex do the coding.. Remote desktop session?

I'm seriously jealous.

Cant wait to hear about the specs of the new video interface!
Affirmative. Remote and painless, just like Benvo.

And thank you, sir. I'm looking forward to seeing this progress.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 09:28 PM   #127
aorange
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92 ZCP

What input does the CiC system use to display? Is it a digital input?
I really like what you are up to and glad you are leveling the playing field for android devices.
Looking forward to more-- cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 02:08 PM   #128
findlay234
Rep

Any update on this... about to take the plunge on a Xcarlink media interface to do this on my CIC e92.... Def interested in other updates you may have....
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 01:37 PM   #129
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

I would wait

I've always thought that it would be awesome if the aftermarket interfaces sold by Alekshop and the now-defunct Modmynav had Android integrated so I could keep everything in one unit, minimizing potential points of failure, as well as components, but I could never find one that did. About 6-7 months ago, I finally found a company that made the exact thing I wanted. Unfortunately, the rep wouldn't sell me a unit. A couple weeks ago, I came across that exact setup here:

Turns out they think there was an issue w/the unit, so they stopped selling them. However, in the video above, the poster had no problems. Fast forward to today, when I found there are a couple more companies that are making similar units. I reached out, and hopefully will have an answer soon. The only thing you'll have to get separately is the touchscreen overlay and the SD slot extender, the latter of which I ordered when I thought I was going to be able to acquire the unit pictured. Only drawback is that the units I've been seeing are only running Android 4.2, whereas the NBT variants are using 4.4.4.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 02-10-2016 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 01:45 PM   #130
Shredicus
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Aww yeah, good ol' technology marching onward to a viable solution. Sub'd for updates on this new unit
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 12:11 PM   #131
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredicus View Post
Aww yeah, good ol' technology marching onward to a viable solution. Sub'd for updates on this new unit
Yeah, I'm pretty stoked about this, too. I upgraded to CIC because the CCC screen resolution never looked crisp enough for me w/the Android setup I was using. This looks much, much better.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 04:04 AM   #132
johmei
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Hi, some great information and inspiration in this thread! Good work!

I am planning to install a Android-based system using my current CCC environment. The idea is to mainly use it as an additional dash and datalogger. I also want to use it for tuning as I can already flash the car with Android.

I am interested to learn "how bad" the CCC display is for CarPC use as some thought it was worth updating to CIC?! Do you guys have any detail shots/video of different apps that highlight the limitation in resolution?