BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-18-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
dadC4s
Rep
Drives:

Advice on this deal

Trying to order a 2010 coupe. Want a loaded car (DCT, Premium, Tech,enhanced premium sound,heated seats, Ipod/satellite radio,metallic paint, extended leather) which prices out to $67,315 wholesale ($72,925 retail) Dealer is offering to sell for $69,145 which he says is wholesale plus $200 for "prep" (what is that?) and $130 for floor mats (!) plus $1500 for profit.
I asked him point blank about trunk money and other incentives and he denied that any existed on this car, unless you finance through bmw. He said that they get some incentives if they meet Customer satisfaction standards at year's end but that is not something they can quantify or rely on to share with customers as discounts.

Any advice for me at this stage? I want the car, but not enough to get ripped off. I am thinking of countering by telling him that I won't pay extra for mats in a 70K car nor will I pay for "prep" whatever that is and I will allow $1000 profit for a grand total of $68,315, or 1K over the wholesale price. I thank you in advance for your guidance....
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
DP8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3

Looking at the current incentives section of edmunds.com there appears to be a $1,500 cash incentive for people who lease/finance the car through BMWFS. So try to factor that into your deal if you are going to go through BMWFS.

Other than that, the floor mats you should be able to negotiate for free and overall the price doesn't seem particularly high.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 03:36 PM   #3
zamm3k
Bla!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

You're not getting ripped off. But he shouldn't charge you for the mats or for the prep if he's already getting profit. You're pretty close to invoice in a 2010 which is pretty good if you ask me. I also agree you shouldn't be paying mats on a 70k car. So, maybe leave them a $1,000 profit.
      11-18-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
dadC4s
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for your comments.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #5
MN M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

You didn't mention if you figured in GGT ($1300) and destination ($825) costs - some of the "invoice cost" calculator websites forget to figure this into the math. Make sure you've included those expenses into your figures.
2009 E92 M3 - Jerez Black/Black w/ black carbon leather interior, 6 spd., Cold, Premium, Technology, 19" OZ Racing wheels (black), iPod/USB. Mods: aPe air filter, Borla exhaust, H&R sport springs, UUC Evo3 SS w/ DSSR, Power Pulley Kit, carbon kidney grills, Vorsteiner front air dam, carbon side gills, smoked side markers
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
rfalls
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

I wouldn't pay the extra $1500 on top of the $200 over invoice. If you shop around you should be able to find a dealer who will give you the invoice pricing (e.g., bmwsonline.com).

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 01:14 PM   #7
MN M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfalls View Post
I wouldn't pay the extra $1500 on top of the $200 over invoice. If you shop around you should be able to find a dealer who will give you the invoice pricing (e.g., bmwsonline.com).

Good luck!
I always love this. So I understand, the supposed invoice is $67,315, and the dealer is offering $69,145, a difference of $1,830, which is 3% over invoice. The OP makes it clear that the "difference" includes the cost of prep, floor mats, and "profit." My position on this is quite clear - if you are in the market for a $70k car, and you now want to argue over $1,830, you really aren't in the market for a $70k car.
2009 E92 M3 - Jerez Black/Black w/ black carbon leather interior, 6 spd., Cold, Premium, Technology, 19" OZ Racing wheels (black), iPod/USB. Mods: aPe air filter, Borla exhaust, H&R sport springs, UUC Evo3 SS w/ DSSR, Power Pulley Kit, carbon kidney grills, Vorsteiner front air dam, carbon side gills, smoked side markers
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #8
dadC4s
Rep
Drives:

I have spent more on cars than this in the past. I didn't get to be in the position to spend 70K on a car by being careless or allowing myself to be ripped off.
the gas guzzler and the delivery charges are included in the figures the dealer quoted me. I am going to talk with them tomorrow, I will counter with the 1000 over invoice price, not paying for mats or prep. If they agree to that, I will buy the car, If they don't, I will think about it some more. I want the M3 but my enjoyment of it will be limited by remorse if I feel like I paid to much, that's just the way I am...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 06:53 PM   #9
ghingis
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS350

I agree with you all the way...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadC4s View Post
I have spent more on cars than this in the past. I didn't get to be in the position to spend 70K on a car by being careless or allowing myself to be ripped off.
the gas guzzler and the delivery charges are included in the figures the dealer quoted me. I am going to talk with them tomorrow, I will counter with the 1000 over invoice price, not paying for mats or prep. If they agree to that, I will buy the car, If they don't, I will think about it some more. I want the M3 but my enjoyment of it will be limited by remorse if I feel like I paid to much, that's just the way I am...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 07:38 PM   #10
Kobaiyashi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 (JetBlack/FoxRedExt)

Quote:
+1

Plus, frankly, even if he says no and you can't find something similar at another dealer, you can always go back.
      11-19-2009, 07:40 PM   #11
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghingis View Post
I agree with you all the way...!!!
+1

I LOVE it when people try to be wise a-sses when they are spending $70k on a car.....

I don't care how much the car costs..... I am not leaving crap on the table....
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 09:28 PM   #12
mphatic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3 SG & FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN M3 View Post
I always love this. So I understand, the supposed invoice is $67,315, and the dealer is offering $69,145, a difference of $1,830, which is 3% over invoice. The OP makes it clear that the "difference" includes the cost of prep, floor mats, and "profit." My position on this is quite clear - if you are in the market for a $70k car, and you now want to argue over $1,830, you really aren't in the market for a $70k car.
Why, why, why do people feel like it's ok to criticize other people's personal financial decisions about what they are willing to spend I doubt you actually know what he can afford so why would you opine on what market he should be in? It may have nothing to do with what he can afford. It may be a matter of principle and it certainly isn't anyone else's business
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 07:47 AM   #13
trendy26
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 F82 M4

Ummm, $1,830 is still alot of money know matter which you look at it. I deal with high net worth individuals on a dialy basis who will argue over a couple hundred bucks. I agree with Mphatic, people like MN M3 need to mind their own business.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #14
dvn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 C63 Coupe

I think it also might depend on what area/state you're in.

Your quote seems average to me at this point. Not a killer deal but nothing I'd be insulted by.

I'd take those numbers and go to another dealer to see if they'll beat it by a few hundred. If not, I'd go with whoever treated you better during the experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 10:33 AM   #15
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

tell him no and walk, get a better deal elsewhere. 500 over dealer invoice is fair
      11-20-2009, 02:21 PM   #16
dadC4s
Rep
Drives:

Done Deal

Went to the dealer today and told them I will pay 1K over invoice, but will not pay for "prep" or for mats. My sales guy took me in to talk to the Sales Manager, a former salesman who I have known for years and who went to high school with my wife. He seemed to be not happy, said "I can't believe we are having this discussion" then said they would do the deal, got up and walked out like he was really angry. It seemed like the classic good cop (salesman) bad cop (sales manager) routine and I think his anger was staged. If it was such a bad deal for them they would not of said yes. They are making 1K on an ordered car that they do not need to carry in inventory or advertise plus whatever incentives they have. I am not taking food out of anyone's mouth with this deal and I think they are doing fine with it. I like this dealer, they have given good service and I always get a BMW loaner. Plus,they are the only dealer in town for BMW. Looking forward to the new M3, plan on delivery in April.....thanks for everyone's comments.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 03:49 PM   #17
ghingis
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS350

Congrats!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #18
mphatic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3 SG & FR

Nice!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 10:32 PM   #19
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Went to the dealer today and told them I will pay 1K over invoice, but will not pay for "prep" or for mats. My sales guy took me in to talk to the Sales Manager, a former salesman who I have known for years and who went to high school with my wife. He seemed to be not happy, said "I can't believe we are having this discussion" then said they would do the deal, got up and walked out like he was really angry. It seemed like the classic good cop (salesman) bad cop (sales manager) routine and I think his anger was staged. If it was such a bad deal for them they would not of said yes. They are making 1K on an ordered car that they do not need to carry in inventory or advertise plus whatever incentives they have. I am not taking food out of anyone's mouth with this deal and I think they are doing fine with it. I like this dealer, they have given good service and I always get a BMW loaner. Plus,they are the only dealer in town for BMW. Looking forward to the new M3, plan on delivery in April.....thanks for everyone's comments.
Congrats! And FYI, I am absolutely with you on the haggling bit. You have every right to get the best deal possible, regardless of what % you are saving or not saving.

That sounds like a pretty sweet deal - they were definitely trying to do the good cop/bad cop routine, happened to me when I bought a Toyota a few years ago. Luckily my M3 purchase experience was much better - no BS, they told me what their best deal was, take it or leave it. I checked around town and they weren't kidding, it was the best deal after all .
Appreciate 0