BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-20-2011, 12:27 AM   #1
ItsHectic
But your honour it's my Affluenza I swear!
Australia
Rep
Drives: at a reasonable speed

911 goes electric power steering

I think this is terrible
I have driven electric power steering and I cant see how it can be as good as hydraulic. I know BMW did something similar and reverted back after complaints, I just hope Porsche revert back too, its a shame such a great iconic car is now compromised because of this decision.

Quote:
For the first time in 911 history, the 991 will switch to electric power steering. While most electric power steering units don't live up to Porsche standards, the company insists this system does. Not only will it reduce complexity and the number of hydraulic lines that run the length of the vehicle, but it also is more efficient, only drawing power when needed

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1eDx7vMnJ

Quote:
Not content with changing the way the 911 is built or extending its wheelbase, Porsche has not been afraid to meddle with the 911's most precious possession, one even more key to the car's character than its flat-6 engine. It has replaced the hydraulic power steering used by every 911 since assistance was introduced in 1989, with an electric system.

If this sounds like a minor, backstage detail, it's not. We have yet to drive a car that's been improved by electric steering, and driven plenty that have been ruined by it.

Moreover, Achleitner freely admits that the steering of a 911 is "the most important thing to get right." He says that he spoke to a huge number of suppliers and that ZF got the job because its system is so good, "you would not be able to tell it is electric."
http://www.insideline.com/porsche/91...rsche-911.html
      11-23-2011, 01:34 AM   #2
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Everybody is going to electric assist steering. There's no way around it. How well it's implemented is all that matters. And over time it will also be improved. Some mfgs seem to be getting it right (or close to) the first time out (Porsche, AMG.) BMW isn't "reverting back," they are also using it. Blame it on the CAFE standards. They have to eke out every ounce of fuel savings to meet consumption numbers across the entire fleet.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

I can tell you that Porsche has gotten it right. It never feels like the motor is trying to play catch up. The weight on the car is nice, and road feel is still there, enough for you to know what's going on with the front tires. The 991 is a car I wish to own one day. It is absolutely epic. MB hasn't had any issue with using electric steering. In fact, I've read praises on how natural their system feels.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 05:00 AM   #4
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

BMW M will use it when they'll get it right. Todays best handling supercar, the Lexus LF-A, has lectric power steering, the new Toyota FT-86 is also going to get this system.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
Top_Gear_Fan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
BMW M will use it when they'll get it right. Todays best handling supercar, the Lexus LF-A, has lectric power steering, the new Toyota FT-86 is also going to get this system.
Today's best handling super car? Really?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 04:15 AM   #6
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Really, even better than 911 GT3. The LF-A deserves to stand right next to the McLaren F1.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 04:50 AM   #7
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Really, even better than 911 GT3. The LF-A deserves to stand right next to the McLaren F1.
I think the Macca F1(LM please) IS the greatest supercar ever, but a LFA won't even come close sorry. Look at the weight, look at the electronics/gadgets of the LFA.

Better choose its son the MP 4-12C(which had a few 'problems' with its electronics too ) or my favourite at the moment: the 458.

And a GT3? It's a very good car but its not as balanced as a Cayman/Boxster whatever.

If only the Norschleife laptime tells something about the handling.....pfff.

Go for a 956 rightaway then

Another example:
F10 M5 does the NS >10 seconds faster than a Cayman R. Do you really think the F10 M5 is the better handling car? Don't think so. Though I LOVE the new M5 and I'm not a big fan of the Boxster/Cayman series at all. The 991? Anytime!

Last edited by Robin_NL; 11-25-2011 at 05:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
jcollis
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90

WTH
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 01:48 PM   #9
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

didn't autocar mag picked the lfa over the 599 gto recently? LOL

i personally think the LFA is a great supercar. only wish they would go a little crazier with the look.
Appreciate 0