BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW

12-13-2008, 08:23 AM   #1
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

GM and liquidation.

So if GM does not get traction and ends up going BK the news said they will liquidate.

Will the cars sitting all across the country be dumped for whatever they can get?

The report said the government would honor all warranty issues. Who would you take it to?

The initial plan to survive would include closing thousands of weak stores. The stores left would immediately lower prices 20-30% to move iron.

If this does not work liquidation would ensue.

12-13-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
Motor She Wrote
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
So if GM does not get traction and ends up going BK the news said they will liquidate.

Will the cars sitting all across the country be dumped for whatever they can get?

The report said the government would honor all warranty issues. Who would you take it to?

The initial plan to survive would include closing thousands of weak stores. The stores left would immediately lower prices 20-30% to move iron.

If this does not work liquidation would ensue.

They're not gonna liquidate, not totally at least. That's just scare tactics to try to get money from the government without the condition of going into Chapter 11 reorganization. As badly as GM is doing, creditors are going to prefer a serious restructuring to Chapter 7 liquidation. At least with a restructuring, there's an appreciable chance they'll get part of their investment in time. If GM totally liquidates, they're not going to get anything back, so there's no reason for creditors to opt for that.

GM and the Big 3 will eventually get the gov't money (hopefully in the form of a backstop for private financing) to do a major restructuring so they can renegotiate these labor contracts, close & consolidate superfluous dealerships (which most of them are), close old plants, get out from under these pension obligations, health benefits cut back, etc. After you get rid of most of that dead weight, GM might be a halfway decent company.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 11:36 AM   #3
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
In the news today it said the Vauxhall (sub of GM) has offered it's workers a deal which amounts to 9 months layoff with 30% of pay. The UK car sales market is down 37% with Vauxhall's sales down 39%, as if to show which of the big two will survive this Ford's UK sales are down only 12%.

Things aren't good.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 12:20 PM   #4
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

I think the whole auto industry issue is a lot better then people think.

Regardless of a bailout or bankruptcy, or union crap the reality is this.

The big three are selling 10 million cars per year in the U.S. in a bad economy. 13 million in a good economy.

Worse case, they trim the fat, reorganize, and sell 5-8 million newly designed great cars per year at a profit rather than 10-13 million at a loss.

I think everything I have heard from the union, news, etc. is nothing more than scare tactics.

American's continue to buy GM products today, so they will buy them when the big three are in bankruptcy.

What GM management is afraid of is mass market share loss during the bankruptcy.

What the union is afraid of is being taken out.
      12-13-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I was wondering where all the "cold" cars are going.

Nothing against anyone who owns or is looking for a Buick etc, but WTH or they going to do with all this inventory?

They have trucks and SUV's for miles here in Dallas on the lots.

What about this 20-30% off?

I am personally watching three cars.
Z06
CTS-V
Camaro SS
      12-13-2008, 02:00 PM   #6
achenator
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2, 2017 R8+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
I was wondering where all the "cold" cars are going.

Nothing against anyone who owns or is looking for a Buick etc, but WTH or they going to do with all this inventory?

They have trucks and SUV's for miles here in Dallas on the lots.

What about this 20-30% off?

I am personally watching three cars.
Z06
CTS-V
Camaro SS
That would be the last three cars to be liquidated IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 03:26 PM   #7
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I meant, watching the prices come down on the Z06 and CTS-V. I think the Camaros will be snatched up no matter what.
      12-13-2008, 04:45 PM   #8
vAnt826
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Chapter 11 usually doesn't work well with consumer heavy corporations. Consumers do not want to buy a failed product from a failed company with no idea where their warranty will lie.

If GM goes BK it will be under Chapter 7 but the strong brands will stay intact sold off to a private investor group (most likely from the middle east haha). Most likely Buick and Mercury will cease to exist (thank god).
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 11:12 AM   #9
ledclulez
Rep
Drives: e90 i35i

The failure of American Cars is a combination of failed partners in the industry.

Primarily innovation is stale if not non-existent, and the major cause of this is old CEOs with 60s style thinking doing the same thing over and over expecting a different results. UAW is not innocent either, their Union President is stuck to the past in over protecting its members, thinking that the membership drives the industry and the market is stupid.

I feel its important for the industry reduce the no. of product lines and concentrate on the ones that are profitable or have a chance to success.
These are some cars I vote to keep, CTS, Corvettte and Mustang.

Until they learn to innovate and attract the young market, their future is dim and on the wrong track.

UAW President has to get off his high horse and realize they better give up more concession and take half pay than all together not see any pay at all.
HELLLLLLLOOOOO! this there anybody home?

but to let it totally fail and collapse in its own weight is not the way to go. Once given up it would be hard to recover or start it again. Then we would now even be more depended on foreign oil.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 10:33 PM   #10
vAnt826
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
but to let it totally fail and collapse in its own weight is not the way to go. Once given up it would be hard to recover or start it again. Then we would now even be more depended on foreign oil
How does letting GM fail relate to dependence on foreign oil?

How does loaning money to a company known for making inferior products help our economy? Throwing money at the situation might be the initial thought, but if you think about it some more you will realize that GM will just need more money (RE: Volt, the "Savior") to function and will never return to profit with the current management.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 12:40 AM   #11
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
I say let the big 3 go down. They have not helped the industry at all, if anything they have brought it to its knees.

The problem is everyone else in the world pays a fair price for fuel, until you start having to pay a high price for fuel in the States you won't get the next generation of vehicles that is needed, the car companies just keep slogging along, you have cheap cars and cheap fuel.

Once the States makes a move to make changes things will start to happen but until then the big 3 still have 1970 mind set.

Damn, the mustang still has a live axle because they stay its something that cannot be improved on, that's 1970's thinking. Just put a V8 in it and they will come! said the Lord.

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 09:47 AM   #12
achenator
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2, 2017 R8+

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
I say let the big 3 go down. They have not helped the industry at all, if anything they have brought it to its knees.

The problem is everyone else in the world pays a fair price for fuel, until you start having to pay a high price for fuel in the States you won't get the next generation of vehicles that is needed, the car companies just keep slogging along, you have cheap cars and cheap fuel.

Once the States makes a move to make changes things will start to happen but until then the big 3 still have 1970 mind set.

Damn, the mustang still has a live axle because they stay its something that cannot be improved on, that's 1970's thinking. Just put a V8 in it and they will come! said the Lord.

this is coming from a guy with a car that gets 20mpg max LOL
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 10:36 AM   #13
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
They need to trim some serious fat.

Saturn is actually worth saving as a whole

Saab should be sold.

Hummer should try to be sold or should close their doors entirely.

Pontiac is worthless and should close, the only car they should think about keeping is the G8.

What's worth keeping from GMC(hardly anything) should be moved and branded a Chevy and the rest of GMC should be closed.

The 2 or 3 cars worth saving from Buick should be moved to Cadillac to help broaden their lineup as their the only GM products worth buying.

The years of GM thinking they can make one car and use it across 3 different brands of cars are over. The Chevy Tahoe is the GMC Yukon which is the Caddy Escalade. It's redundant and done with more than a handful of vehicles and needs to stop.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 04:50 PM   #14
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by achenator View Post
this is coming from a guy with a car that gets 20mpg max LOL
FYI

We buy V8's as rarity here and not as DD's. 150 M3 verts will sold here over a 2 year period and the same for coupes. Our main car sales are 4 & 6 cylinders and a third of those are nearly all diesel.

My DD is a diesel X5, my daughter drives a e90 320 BMW diesel that uses 4.7ltr per hundred klm and the reason is we pay nearly $5 per gal now and fuel prices have dropped.

So we are doing our bit here for only 22mil people and with the car companies down over 50% in sales in Australia more people are looking for better economy cars and also our rego costs are determined by how many cylinder your engine has.

Don't you find it strange that the car industry will be forced to change not because of global warming or the price of fuel but due to the credit crisis! how ironic is that!

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 05:19 PM   #15
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

GM should Dump: Hummer, Saab, Pontiac, GMC, and Buick.
GM should Keep: Chevy, Cadillac, & Saturn

Still millions of people will lose their jobs. GM is too big, too many competiting brands that represent dilulted variety and no individuality.

Cars to keep: Sky, Camaro, Malibu, CTS, VUE, Corvette, Astra, Outlook, traverse
Cars to dump: Impala, cobalt, DTS, XLR, Escalade ESV, Caddilac EXT, Trailblazer

Any car I did not mention should be kept. Between these 3 brands there should be no more than 35 different car models (variations not included)
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 08:57 PM   #16
Reedomn
Major
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan/RR Velar/C8

Looking to buy a Yukon and visited a dealer Saturday. They are moving alot of vehicles right now with the "red tag" promotion..!! Maybe it's because the one I am looking has a sticker of 53k and the current offer from the dealer is 36!..Brand new 2008.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 09:38 PM   #17
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
I'd give them 36k for an 09 Z06 Corvette, with zero % financing and
only if they come with a 50kmiles/4 yr service plan

,, dont forget a set of floor mats
Appreciate 0