BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

11-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #45
Pontrelli
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erhan View Post
Since some people insist that DCT is actually manual, I suppose everyone who owns an M3 knows how to drive a manual.
And those people would be wrong..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #46
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid View Post
i am teaching my 15 year old to drive one now. he hates it. i cannot imagine not knowing how, so he will learn. go rent a car in europe and try to get an auto. not so easy.
Ironically, they say the same about many of the caribbean islands, yet both times we've rented (once in St. Martin, once in Curacao), they've given us autos. I'd have greatly prefered a manual, since both islands are hilly and the rentals dreadfully underpowered. The one time we rented in Germany we did get a manual TDI A3, though.

I sort of forced my wife to learn, now she's pretty good at it. What really made her better were the times when "her" car was a manual, a TDI jetta wagon and a MINI Cooper S. I wouldn't want to be in a situation like my brother, he previously owned a manual MINI, but his wife couldn't drive stick. He cut his hand badly enough that he needed to go to the hospital, and they had to find a neighbor to drive him, since she couldn't. I applaud all the parents on this forum teaching their kids to drive a manual. Even if they never take to owning one, it's a good skill to know just in case.
      11-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #47
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzentruber View Post
Ironically, they say the same about many of the caribbean islands, yet both times we've rented (once in St. Martin, once in Curacao), they've given us autos. I'd have greatly prefered a manual, since both islands are hilly and the rentals dreadfully underpowered. The one time we rented in Germany we did get a manual TDI A3, though.
I'd think automatic is much better in hilly conditions. I've had to go up steep 40+% inclines in bumper to bumper city traffic - it really sucks. If your car doesn't have hill start assist, some combination of these 3 things happen.

1. You stall the car
2. You burn the clutch
3. You slide into the car behind you
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #48
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

Why do you call it a stick? The car I learned on (Dodge freaking Dart with rust holes through the floorboard) had it on the column . . . .
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 01:30 PM   #49
6spdg37s
Captain
Rep
Drives: none

I seriously only drive manual (well unless its not my car) most of my boys are the saem way... manual dually's manual tow trucks, wreckers etc;
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #50
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
My very first new car in 1961 was VW naturally with a stick. From 1961 on I mainly drove American cars until 1987 when I purchased my first new BMW a 535is we still have her and never will sell her, she has a 5MT and shifts smooth like silk.

The next M3 was a SMG transmission and the next two M3's were with 6MT. The M3 I now drive has DCT and I do like it. If the manual in my last M3 would have been as smooth shifting as our 1987 535is I would have never changed to a DCT. As it is I now love the DCT especially when I use the paddle shifter.

PS. I had two Z4's one e85 and one e89 they both had the paddle shifters as well. Both those cars I purchased used, I only wanted to satisfy myself how it feels to drive a convertible curiosity and desire we had fun with them, then traded back to the e92.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 11-28-2012 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: Added PS.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #51
HALOTHANE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: INTERLAGOS ZCP

Garage List
Manual cars only since age 15; until I got a DCT M3. DCT is not a manual, but it is soooooo very good! Best manual car I have driven? My old 1M.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #52
Pontrelli
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I'd think automatic is much better in hilly conditions. I've had to go up steep 40+% inclines in bumper to bumper city traffic - it really sucks. If your car doesn't have hill start assist, some combination of these 3 things happen.

1. You stall the car
2. You burn the clutch
3. You slide into the car behind you
As someone who drives MTs exclusively (and long before "hill assist" was available)..what you describe here are non-issues to experienced MT drivers.

This is an indication of someone who is a novice.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #53
CPB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 turbo/E63S

Still enjoy driving with a manual transmission after 30+ years. Currently have 3 cars with a manual.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #54
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontrelli View Post
As someone who drives MTs exclusively (and long before "hill assist" was available)..what you describe here are non-issues to experienced MT drivers.

This is an indication of someone who is a novice.
I have been driving manual for 15 years exclusively... Parallel parking along steep streets and reversing uphill is part of my daily routine. The M3 is the first car I have ever owned with hill start. It is not a problem of knowledge.

If you have someone stuck 2 feet from your back bumper while going up a very steep incline with another car 2 feet from your front bumper, try starting without rolling backwards or riding the clutch hard. Plus do this about 20 times while creeping up the hill with traffic. I use the parking brake technique as well but you still ride the clutch when you start. It's really scary when it rains.. then you if you start too fast, you'll burn rubber while rolling backwards.

Last edited by Z K; 11-28-2012 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #55
Majdnoon
Welek Ya Kelb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 E36 M3 Coupe

I learned to drive in my dad's Jetta GLI DSG, but both my cars (base model VW Jetta plus my '98 E36) are 5 speed manuals and honestly I don't wanna go back to an Auto. I love driving stick, it's so involving and you feel as one with the car. Not to mention since most people my age can't drive a stick it impresses them that you're able to do it so smoothly :P

And by the way, to everyone saying a stick is a hassle in traffic or on hills, its a non issue if you've been doing it long enough. It becomes second nature in traffic and you don't even notice it, it's almost like a reflex to select the right gear to be in for traffic. My Jetta may have Hill Assist but my E36 doesn't and its still not an issue either.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #56
faith&firepower
Granny Shifting, Not Double Clutching Like You
San Marino
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppin Fresh View Post
I was fairly decent until my accident 6 years ago. I fractured my ankle and tore my achilles tendon in the process. It's just not as strong and it hurts every time I put pressured weight on it.
I did this exact thing in the Army, but mine happened in training....that was 2008, and have bought 2 manual trans cars since that time. At least now the VA pays me a nice sum to ofset my pain when I drive the M3 & my turbo'd RX8.
      11-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #57
Pontrelli
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I have been driving manual for 15 years exclusively... Parallel parking along steep streets and reversing uphill is part of my daily routine. The M3 is the first car I have ever owned with hill start. It is not a problem of knowledge.

If you have someone stuck 2 feet from your back bumper while going up a very steep incline with another car 2 feet from your front bumper, try starting without rolling backwards or riding the clutch hard. Plus do this about 20 times while creeping up the hill with traffic. I use the parking brake technique as well but you still ride the clutch when you start. It's really scary when it rains.. then you if you start too fast, you'll burn rubber while rolling backwards.
I do each and every day..never a problem, never roll back or burn the clutch..as a matter fact i can balance the car perfectly on a steep hill just using the gas pedal and clutch..

After 15 years of MT driving I am surprised this is still an issue for you..then again you do live in SF..those hills are a pain
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #58
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

learned on my last car (Evo 8). Been driving manuals for 8 years now.

MT cars are fun, but commuting and city driving in it is a PITA.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #59
LemonOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///Most Powerful Letter

I had to get a DCT M3 when it first came out becuase it was THE FIRST DCT tranny from BMW ever (at least in the US).
Now, I drive a manual M3 and I have to admit DCT is way more faster and fun on the track BUT as for a daily drive, manual M3 is just so much fun.
But yes, I do miss the DCT alot... I would probably get a DCT again for my next M3.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #60
TTSam
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Jelly M3 View Post
I had to get a DCT M3 when it first came out becuase it was THE FIRST DCT tranny from BMW ever (at least in the US).
Now, I drive a manual M3 and I have to admit DCT is way more faster and fun on the track BUT as for a daily drive, manual M3 is just so much fun.
But yes, I do miss the DCT alot... I would probably get a DCT again for my next M3.
I actually learned to drive a manual way back when on a dump truck which required double shifts for each gear change. Talk about learning quickly (shift/grind/lurch shift/grind/lurch) for each gear change.

My first two cars were a VW Beetle and a Fiat 128 - both manuals.

I had a DCT M3 and eventually traded it back in for a manual.

DCT is outstanding without question. After a period of time for me however it became boring and my left leg slowly atrophied like a right handed tennis players left arm.

Nothing like shifting for yourself, even if you are slightly slower.

I find the MT no problem in stop and go traffic. If you learn to drive a MT correctly you can start off in first gear using only the clutch and no gas.

I just missed the lack of total control in the DCT - especially with winter driving in poor conditions when the throttle and clutch are all that is needed to get going and stop in super slippery conditions, with a slight use of the brakes at the end.

DCT pretty much requires the brakes be used.

Best would be to have 2 M3's. DCT for the track and MT for all other times.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 09:56 PM   #61
HeartMD
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 MW,ZCP E92

Quote:

DAMN!! Glad I didnt live near you when I first leaned how to drive MT. Those are some insane hills. With those slopes I can even see AT cars roling backwards..
2011.75 E92 MW/BB extended,ZCP,ZP2,ZCV, IPOD,BMW APPS, Heatedseats,6MT, Edition Black Chrome Grills & Side Gills, CF splitters, CF performance spoiler, CF mirror caps, Turner black anodized pedals, Akropovic Evolution exhaust w/CF tips, Still Undecided on tune, AFE Pro5r, AFE intake scoops, LUX H8
2009 E92 JB/Black 335 xdrive (retired)
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 11:30 PM   #62
Mike van D
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: SG X6 35i; MW e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_TRADER View Post
Three on a tree and you never go back
This! had an El Camino with it. Fun times...

Made sure my kids learned to drive on a manual. This way g2g in emergencies.
      11-29-2012, 12:04 AM   #63
carbon//m3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: m4 vert

Is this a trick question?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 12:22 AM   #64
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

I hope to figure it out someday
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 04:06 AM   #65
burakkose
Second Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
The US does, and your license isn't even restricted to automatic transmissions if you take the test in an automatic transmission like I've heard some countries do. That said, I took the test in an auto and transitioned to a manual just fine, though I probably put in more effort than the average non-enthusiast would have, and I also avoided areas with fast traffic until I was comfortable. But unfortunately in the US it's absurdly easy overall to get a license and absurdly difficult to lose one, which is partially why we have so many incompetent drivers. In fact many states don't even have routine safety/roadworthiness inspections for vehicles, so you get all kinds of unsafe junker vehicles on the road. All because people here think driving is a right, not a privilege.
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid View Post
no. in the EU, many countries will only give you a driver's license for cars with an automatic unless you do your test/training with a manual. your license will specifically say if you are qualified for automatic only. just like getting a CHL with a revolver - you cannot conceal carry a SA.

if you travel to the EU, they cannot check this on your US license, but do you really want to be in a foreign city with foreign signs and be lost AND not know how to shift your car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by minigearhead View Post
in israel, you can do your test with an auto, and you only get permission for an auto. you have to do test with a manual if you want a manual license
thanks for the information for your countries.
here in Turkey, it's soo hilarious.
You sign up for the examination. Well normally you are obliged to take lessons of engine, traffic and first aid stuff. Nobody goes they give you a booklet and you read, read and read....

After you pass the test, they take you to the test.
Manual cars only. and trust me, shitty ones.
takes like 2 mins 1,2,3,4 ooops stop. put it to rear, and finished
      11-29-2012, 06:23 AM   #66
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I learned to drive manual on a AE86 back in Asia and have had manual cars only ever since. I almost switched to DCT a few years back but my Dad said, "if I can drive manual, and not bitch about it in traffic, so can you..man up!" hahhahahaa...

Have never owned an automatic car, but I do enjoy renting them on business trips - it's quite relaxing to drive and requires little focus.