BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-21-2008, 01:57 PM   #89
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
But when do they go into production with it? The slide only says "2009" -- not when in 2009 they go into production. Since the slide doesn't say...it sheds no light on this bet.

On the side, TLud and I have agreed that we're only betting on E92 M3s manufactured on or before January 31st, 2009. Anything after that production date, is considered 2009.5.
The document does refer to the 2009 MY and then state "All 3 series..." without any qualification such as "All 3 series produced after XX/08," but now we're completely speculating.

The two things that make me a little nervous (not about the bet, but that I'll have to cancel/postpone my Week 36 production slot) are: (1) that while the M3 is technically a 3 series, BMW generally treats the M3 separately in its documentation; and (2) that the new 6NF doesn't come out until October.

EDIT: Agreed on the bet clarification.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 02:00 PM   #90
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
But when do they go into production with it? The slide only says "2009" -- not when in 2009 they go into production. Since the slide doesn't say...it sheds no light on this bet.
Ok, my last try: It talks about the new iDrive for the 3 series and says "MY 2009" which starts production in September. On the other hand it talks about the new iDrive for the other models (i.e. not 1, 3 and 7 series) to receive the new iDrive in 2009 (meant is the year 2009, beginning Jan). The reverse is that the 3 series gets it in 2008. Pretty simple, am I the only one to understand it that way?

Most likely the new iDrive will be on all 3 series cars produced from September on, but in 2008 definitely.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 02:06 PM   #91
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Ok, my last try: It talks about the new iDrive for the 3 series and says "MY 2009" which starts production in September. On the other hand it talks about the new iDrive for the other models (i.e. not 1, 3 and 7 series) to receive the new iDrive in 2009 (meant is the year 2009, beginning Jan). The reverse is that the 3 series gets it in 2008. Pretty simple, am I the only one to understand it that way?

Most likely the new iDrive will be on all 3 series cars produced from September on, but in 2008 definitely.

Best regards, south
I was told when I went to view my new M3 that only the 3 series saloon will be receiving it to start with (i.e. Sept build) and the rest will receive it from Jan '09.

Does this match with what you believe is happening.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 02:11 PM   #92
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I was told when I went to view my new M3 that only the 3 series saloon will be receiving it to start with (i.e. Sept build) and the rest will receive it from Jan '09.

Does this match with what you believe is happening.
I believe that E92 and E93 M3s will also get the new iDrive from Sept on, Oct at the latest. All these cars are built in Regensburg and with the German M3s getting the new iDrive from Sept on I don't see why it should be different for other markets. Besides that I always thought that document just says the same.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 02:32 PM   #93
e90330msport
Private
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 DCT

I was told (in UK) all E90, E91, E92 & E93 will get new iDrive from week 36 production onwards (1st Sep) This includes M and non M cars.

I have a week 36, E92 M3 on order, my dealer has given me 100% confirmation that it will have the new idrive. He has even spoken to Germany to ensure that it is not brought forward in production and thus old idrive.

I can't see why this is not crystal clear to everybody now.

ALL 1 & 3 series models get new idrive from 1st Sep build (new 7 not released till Nov in UK)

What is to doubt? FFS!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 02:33 PM   #94
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
I believe that E92 and E93 M3s will also get the new iDrive from Sept on, Oct at the latest. All these cars are built in Regensburg and with the German M3s getting the new iDrive from Sept on I don't see why it should be different for other markets. Besides that I always thought that document just says the same.

Best regards, south
Not worth much when not in writing, but my CA for mil sales in Germany confirmed through Munich that US Spec M3s being built in September will have the new i-drive. Primary reason is as south stated, all M3s are built in Regensburg. He was sure enough to write it into the contract, so I'm considering it officially official

I do agree that BMW should publish things more clearly, though.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 02:37 PM   #95
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree with your interpretation, south, but I doubt that the boys and girls at BMW NA gave it that much thought when they were writing the LCI training manual up. We may be dissecting this document for meaning that isn't there.

That said, I feel pretty confident in my side of the bet.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 02:38 PM   #96
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
I agree with your interpretation, south, but I doubt that the boys and girls at BMW NA gave it that much thought when they were writing the LCI training manual up. We may be dissecting this document for meaning that isn't there.

That said, I feel pretty confident in my side of the bet.
what is your side, again?

if you are arguing that it isn't coming for the M3 in week 36, i think you are going to lose.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 02:41 PM   #97
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
what is your side, again?

if you are arguing that it isn't coming for the M3 in week 36, i think you are going to lose.

In my bet with PencilGeek, I am betting on the arrival of the new iDrive in the first half of the 2009 MY.

With respect to my '09 M3 order, I am betting on the arrival of the new iDrive starting with Week 36 production (which is when mine is scheduled to be built).
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 02:48 PM   #98
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
In my bet with PencilGeek, I am betting on the arrival of the new iDrive in the first half of the 2009 MY.

With respect to my '09 M3 order, I am betting on the arrival of the new iDrive starting with Week 36 production (which is when mine is scheduled to be built).
so basically you are going to win both bets and PG is going to lose?

naysayers are going to be very upset in september...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 02:55 PM   #99
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
That's right, I would have never agreed to "anytime" in MY2009.
Just curious, what did you guys end up agreeing to exactly? Was it a hard date?

Edit: Nevermind, I see it now "January 31st, 2009".

FWIW though, I don't think that MY2009.5 is really defined officially as you have defined it. I know that has nothing to do with your bet, I was just mentioning it as an aside.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 09:55 PM   #100
Captain Scott
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92

Quote:
And that's exactly why we set a date.
Easy to find out, I called BMW/ NA today just to confirm.

My car, week 36 will have the new I drive, E 92

Sorry to say there Pencil ,but he has a ROYAL FLUSH
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 10:39 PM   #101
reinaldo335
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: m3 ZCP 6MT, on order 09 m3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Scott View Post
Easy to find out, I called BMW/ NA today just to confirm.

My car, week 36 will have the new I drive, E 92

Sorry to say there Pencil ,but he has a ROYAL FLUSH

awesome captain scott, you're the first one to confirm that new idrive version is coming to usa on e92 m3.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 10:59 PM   #102
Captain Scott
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinaldo335 View Post
awesome captain scott, you're the first one to confirm that new idrive version is coming to usa on e92 m3.
Thank you, but, Call BMWNA for yourself don't take my word for it!
HEAR IT FOR YOURSELF
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 11:01 PM   #103
reinaldo335
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: m3 ZCP 6MT, on order 09 m3 6MT

Quote:
HEAR IT FOR YOURSELF
do you have 1-800 number.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 11:52 PM   #104
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinaldo335 View Post
where have you been? its been confirmed for a little bit now, people just don't want to admit it
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 02:51 PM   #105
bmwsloy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 - WK 38 Status 195

Quote:
HEAR IT FOR YOURSELF
I talked to them yesterday and today and both reps gave me the usual "we have no information about that." I've also got a week 36 E92 production scheduled and it's getting very frustrating that we all think it will have it and most signs point to it, but BMW NA won't tell us with 100% certainty.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 02:54 PM   #106
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
No info

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwsloy View Post
I talked to them yesterday and today and both reps gave me the usual "we have no information about that." I've also got a week 36 E92 production scheduled and it's getting very frustrating that we all think it will have it and most signs point to it, but BMW NA won't tell us with 100% certainty.
You can try a priority email through BMW Owner's Circle.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 03:09 PM   #107
Captain Scott
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwsloy View Post

I as well talked to BMWUSA yesterday. In no uncertain terms they told me that my week 36 car will have the new I drive.

Two weeks ago I asked the new car sales manager at BMW Motor Werks the same thing and was told it will have the new I drive.

I am going to call BMW again now just to see if they tell me something else.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 06:47 PM   #108
eleventy
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3

Hi all, this is my first post here but I've been lurking for awhile now.

I also have a week 36 car on order. Two weeks ago I sent a priority email through BMW Owner's Circle asking if my car is going to include the updated iDrive.

Today, I received the following response from CustomerService@bmwusa.com:

----------------------
Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding the 2009 BMW M3.* We appreciate your interest and enthusiasm for our vehicles.*

I apologize for any disappointment, but the redesigned iDrive for the 2009 3 Series Sedan and Sport Wagon will not affect the M3.* A detailed list of* information and MSRP pricing is available on our website, www.bmwusa.com.* You may also inquire with the sales team at your local authorized BMW center about pricing, package options, and available features.

If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117, Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time.* Again, thank you for contacting BMW.

----------------------

This answer seems strange considering what others have been hearing. My CA says there is still no official word. Is this just a misinformed rep?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #109
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleventy View Post
Hi all, this is my first post here but I've been lurking for awhile now.

I also have a week 36 car on order. Two weeks ago I sent a priority email through BMW Owner's Circle asking if my car is going to include the updated iDrive.

Today, I received the following response from CustomerService@bmwusa.com:

----------------------
Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding the 2009 BMW M3.* We appreciate your interest and enthusiasm for our vehicles.*

I apologize for any disappointment, but the redesigned iDrive for the 2009 3 Series Sedan and Sport Wagon will not affect the M3.* A detailed list of* information and MSRP pricing is available on our website, www.bmwusa.com.* You may also inquire with the sales team at your local authorized BMW center about pricing, package options, and available features.

If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117, Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time.* Again, thank you for contacting BMW.

----------------------

This answer seems strange considering what others have been hearing. My CA says there is still no official word. Is this just a misinformed rep?
Why would they reference the 2009 M3 and then state that a "detailed list of information and MSRP pricing is available on our website." Only the 2008 info is out. I don't know what the explanation is, but something doesn't add up there.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 07:16 PM   #110
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I decided to call up the BMW NA (800) number and, as I expected, they cannot confirm that the '09 M3 will have the updated iDrive. The rep that I spoke with explained that it's strongly rumored that the '09 M3s will all have the updated iDrive, but that they have not received official confirmation or any official word one way or another. So, if any BMW NA rep has told you one way or another, they're just guessing like the rest of us. In fact, the rep I spoke with stated that he would find out the same day as anyone with internet access.
Appreciate 0