BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW
View Poll Results: Porsche handling vs BMW
Porsche 31 77.50%
BMW 9 22.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

11-12-2005, 12:37 PM   #1
spitfire6000
NJ NYC BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i Monaco/Beige

legendary bmw handling vs legendary porsche handling

which ones better? i say porsche
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2005, 01:50 PM   #2
puck724
COLTS 4 LIFE!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
i havnet driven a porche yet...well, only a cayanne...didnt like it too much.
      11-12-2005, 04:58 PM   #3
theclay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire6000
I think your right but consider the cost.
      11-12-2005, 07:01 PM   #4
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

you have to compare apples to apples,

Z4 vs Boxster
X5 vs Cayenne

in both cases I think you've drank a bit too much BMW kool aid to deny the porsche the handling crown. Handling however is just one part of a great vehicle
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2005, 09:36 PM   #5
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire6000
You say right. I will sell my Carrera to move to an e90, but it will not be to improve handling! It's mostly to get some cash for a downpayment on a bigger house and to consolidate my automobile stable into one year-round performer that can seat four.

BMWs are incredible cars, but comparing them to a Porsche is really comparing apples to oranges. A Porsche car, even the lowliest boxster, will out-handle and completely out-drive a BMW car. (M cars inluded: they may out-accelerate a Porsche, but they can't out-drive it. It's in the way the cars are designed.) However, a Porsche seats two people and is a pure sports car: the BMW is a car that you can take the family and luggage on vacation with. They are VERY different in that way!!!

Drive safe.

(Note: Cayenne not included, since it is a truck. It will out-handle the BMW x5, but then look at the price tags... It will not out-handle a car. I digress.)
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 11:56 AM   #6
ward
Major General
Rep

watch that "lowliest boxster" comment

the boxster is one of the best handling cars you can buy, for example it matches the carrera gt in slalom as on of the best slaloming cars you can buy at any price
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 12:53 PM   #7
Daytona_John
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M

These sorts of discussions innevitably are impossbile to answer. I've owned a 944 which is legendary for it's balance and handling (despite the fact that Porsche purists frown upon the engine placement). I've also driven an M series BMW which I swore handled better than my 944. In the end, as much as this question is impossible to answer, it would at least be more interesting to narrow the discussion to specific models from the manufacturers in question.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 02:42 PM   #8
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

You cannot compare Porsche to BMW. Porsche may be the most affordable pure sports car that you can look for aside from the c6. BMW may be more comfortable and practical under regular driving conditions but it will never compare to Porsches sports car feel unless its a M. But even some M's cannot compare.
      11-15-2005, 03:39 PM   #9
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
watch that "lowliest boxster" comment

the boxster is one of the best handling cars you can buy, for example it matches the carrera gt in slalom as on of the best slaloming cars you can buy at any price
You're absolutely right Ward; I meant 'lowliest boxster' in terms of it being at the bottom of the Porsche price range. As my post said, it will outdrive any BMW... because it IS a fantastic car! The only reason I bought a 911 over the Boxster was because I don't like ragtops. If I ever buy another Porsche, it will probably be the Cayman boxster coupe... I love my 911, but it can't compare to a Boxster's handling
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2005, 07:32 PM   #10
maq
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MTA Monthly Pass

Ditto the oranges to apples comment.

BMW makes sport sedans with the exception of Z4, whereas Porsche makes genuine sports cars - different approaches to defining "sportiness".

I respect Porsche making the 911 with theoritically wrong engine placement one of the most successful race cars the same way I respect BMW achieving a 46/54 weight distribution with the front-engined E30 M3. Both marques are great at what they do.

The only head-to-head competition the 2 companies had was probably the 850CSi and 928 GTS of the 90's. Bring on the fight between the new M Coupe and Cayman S!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2005, 04:00 AM   #11
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Handling: The Porsche wins.

Playability: the BMWs win, by far(getting cars into/out of drifts/oversteer/trouble fun) Every BMW has DSC you can switch off. Every M BMW has a limited slip diff as standard. The Cayman and 997(S) don't

When the systems switched off in the Porkers they are switched on again when touching the brakes for instance(just the way to adjust the car into a bend)

THAT SUCKS HEAVILY
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2005, 06:06 AM   #12
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

They're basically uncomparable. As far as real-life practical handling, BMW wins, otherwise Porsche.

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2005, 09:16 AM   #13
ward
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood
Handling: The Porsche wins.

Playability: the BMWs win, by far(getting cars into/out of drifts/oversteer/trouble fun) Every BMW has DSC you can switch off. Every M BMW has a limited slip diff as standard. The Cayman and 997(S) don't

When the systems switched off in the Porkers they are switched on again when touching the brakes for instance(just the way to adjust the car into a bend)

THAT SUCKS HEAVILY
keep in mind the porsches don't have a differential at all, they have a transaxle and they wouldn't be able to put all that power down without some limited slip device (probably just goes by a different name)

the porsche traction control does turn back on, IF you're way out of shape and on the brakes really if you're on the brakes hard while you're out of shape you're looking for help anyway

you'd need to also point out how the bmw traction control is much more active and noticable during agressive driving. The car slaps you on the wrist for aggressive driving. Porsche system is so good you almost don't have to turn it off
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2005, 09:24 AM   #14
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

I own a 2001 Boxster. The handling is VERY good. The steering feel is fantastic and on the edge you can really feel what the car's doing.
My vote is Porsche (even compared to the Z4).
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2005, 09:33 AM   #15
davinet78
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 320d

Garage List
personally i think that this is a stupid poll but im very loyal to bmw so ill stick to it.
      11-16-2005, 09:44 AM   #16
MCS
e90 newbie
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E93

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I've never had the pleasure of owning a porsche, but have driven a friends 98 carrera (model 993 Last of the air cooled engines)

Opinions - As nicely as my new and old BMWs handled, the Porsche is on another level in terms of road and steering feel.

#1 - Porsche feels like your ass is almost glued to the ground. Most likely due to ride hight, but also the suspension, wheels and overall dynamics

#2 - Porsche suspension settings are much harder. This is not a car to take the family to the grocery market.

#3 - Steering has a very direct feel, similar to BMW, but magnified

Lastly, the porsche sound is very distinct. On any other car, I think the sound would be cause to run to the mechanic to say WTF. Air cooled engine sounds very different at idle and is a dream when revved up.

Porsche is my dream car, but for the same money as the 997 S with some (not all) options, you could get a vette and a BMW e90
      11-16-2005, 09:50 AM   #17
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
keep in mind the porsches don't have a differential at all, they have a transaxle and they wouldn't be able to put all that power down without some limited slip device (probably just goes by a different name)

the porsche traction control does turn back on, IF you're way out of shape and on the brakes really if you're on the brakes hard while you're out of shape you're looking for help anyway

you'd need to also point out how the bmw traction control is much more active and noticable during agressive driving. The car slaps you on the wrist for aggressive driving. Porsche system is so good you almost don't have to turn it off
Every car has a differential. Every car. Transaxle is the way where/how the gearbox is situated. Older 911s had the LSD as standard, the new ones including Boxsters dont

The way Porsche keeps it's safety by putting back on the safety system when enganging the brakes is just not nice. If you want to go fast or play with a car on a track/drift(which we do a lot) don't buy the newest Porsche or maybe wait for the Carrera RS/GT3 or Cayman RS which will cost $$$$$$$$$>

Otherwhise choose an M Z4 or something like that
Appreciate 0