BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
mo12345
Registered
Rep
Drives: m3

suspension- 2008 m3

I recently got a manual 2008 m3 with about 35k miles on it. I love the car, it has been phenomenal to drive for the past few weeks.

I must say, I am extremely embarrassed about what happened because it could have been avoidable, but I cannot do anything about it now and I have some concerns. Heres the story:

The parking space I was in had a car stop between it, and the parking spot next to it. So the car stop spanned from about half of my spot across into the lane to my right. I was parked with the front right tire right against the car stop. When I was leaving, and I cannot tell you why or how or what was going through my mind, but when I let off the clutch slightly the car rocked (because the front right tire was touching the car stop, my logic was that it was because we were on a downhill slant, so I AM in reverse but the car is just rocking). So i gave it a bit more gas. Before I could realize that I was in 1st and not reverse, the car had driven over the car stop. Only the front right tire. I put it in reverse right when I realized what happened and I backed off it.

Surveying what had happened, The bottom of the front bumper was undoubtedly scratched, but I was expecting that. I checked just about everything I could and it all looks fine, except for a very very very slight chip in the paint on the front bumper (from the strain-directly over where the bottom scraped the car stop) but you really cant see it unless you know where to look.

Now driving wise, the steering wheel felt very slightly less tight when turning it to the right. The alignment isnt off because the car is still centered when you let it run and let go of the steering. I would say it feels normal, if you arent use to the car, its nothing noticable. But I have been driving this car alot recently and I dont know, the steering feels a tiny bit less stiff.

I was wondering if any damage would have happened to the suspension or frame or anything.. or if it is just cosmetic?

Also this is unrelated, but is it normal that the engine makes a very subtle ticking every few seconds right when you turn it off? It has done that since I got the car, just wondering if anybody knew what that is or if it is normal.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by mo12345; 09-28-2011 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
abehwang
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

totally normal sounds from the V8 monster

however, with the suspension, i doubt it's messed up after one up and down motion. I'm not sure what the problem could be though since only the tire and bumper hit the "car stop"

Fuelly :: Adelei's Gas Mileage
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

I doubt anything besides cosmetic is damaged. Most of the time when things like this happen your mind will go crazy thinking everything is damaged even if you know it's not. Like hitting a pothole and thinking all hell broke loose but no damage was done.

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
mo12345
Registered
Rep

I believe they are called car stops?

This is what I was referring to http://www.bryantpaving.com/images/carstop.jpg

I should note, from what I could tell happened (from the drivers seat, since I didnt actually see it) is that the front right tire went over, and as soon as it drove over it and it started scraping I stopped and reversed. But I did have to give it a decent amount of gas to get back over the stop in reverse, only momentarily of course.

I hope nothing happened
I felt so stupid as this happened. I pride myself in being able to drive well, being able to feel the gear as if it were an extension of my leg....Then end up doing something so foolish..

Last edited by mo12345; 09-28-2011 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
mo12345
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikbmr View Post
Most of the time when things like this happen your mind will go crazy thinking everything is damaged even if you know it's not. Like hitting a pothole and thinking all hell broke loose but no damage was done.
Like you have no idea. I still cant tell if Im being paranoid or if the gear's smoothness feels a bit off and vibrates ever so slightly along with the clutch. Or if my ears are playing tricks on me and making me think there may be some sort of sound at >4k rpm that wasnt there before.

lets pray no damage was done
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
tony093
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

the car is fineeee...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

If I'm understanding correctly, you drove OVER the car stop, right? If it was the typical concrete car stop, as in HUGE, you could have hit and damaged a suspension/steering part, especially with the downward motion. On your way out, only the bumper is in front, but I can guarantee you the black pieces under the bumper were destroyed (unless a different -and smaller- car stop). Lift the car and investigate man. Or just have it checked and fixed. The fact you felt the steering different is not a good sign IMO, and could be a safety factor, not to mention it could eat your tires in no time as well. Good luck man.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 06:56 AM   #8
z00m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

I would go to the dealer to check the suspension. Maybe shock is blown or something else. Never know. Maybe alignment should be checked. You won't be calm until you really know it's ok. I know
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 07:19 AM   #9
mmm def
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 330, 19 ND2 RF, 11 RX350

My mother in law drives over those all the time
Appreciate 0