BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

01-22-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Audi TT-RS SportAuto Supertest

Audi TT RS SportAuto Supertest has been completed and the results are as follows. Nordschleife 8:09min and Hockenheim 1:15,0min. Both times were achieved using stock rubber, not r-compound rubber used by the GT3 and M3 in their supertests.

So what this means is that it all but confirms that around Hockenheim that the TT-RS is as quick an M3 when not fitted with it's sticky CUP+ rubber and it's probable (though not confirmed) that the same would be true for the N-ring if M3 was thus equipped. On a more relevant point, the TT-RS also proved itself to be quicker than a fully equipped Cayman S with all the goodies which in anyone's books is no mean feat.

Now it's all but confirmed that the TT-RS will soon be getting DSG which will not only improve it's acceleration figures, dramatically so (ease to understand if you ever driven the manual car) but might well improve on these track figures too, so before Audi rolls out it's all new R4 it appears that finally they have another decent performing coupe to compliment it's highly successful R8.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

how much hp/tq and weight for this thing?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
335fourdoor
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
how much hp/tq and weight for this thing?
i believe its 335 hp from 2.5l turbo 5 cylinder.
weight is around 3200 lbs.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

real torsen Quattro along with an inline 5....that car has been my dream car since last year...why cant they import this thing here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 08:31 PM   #5
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335fourdoor View Post
i believe its 335 hp from 2.5l turbo 5 cylinder.
weight is around 3200 lbs.
quite impressive. the number and spec look like a direct competitor to the cayman S IMO.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 11:55 PM   #6
JerzeySux
UrMother
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 335xiE92

I swear i saw this shit on the George washington bridge at least 1 MONTH ago. And it wasnt the regular TT-S eithr it was the TT-RS with the RS6 OVAL mufflers. It was sounding all deep and crazy too. Didnt know they were out in the market.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 01:07 AM   #7
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

I don't think it's available in North America...... What I would give to be in the TTRS
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 01:19 AM   #8
JerzeySux
UrMother
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 335xiE92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garduna View Post
I don't think it's available in North America...... What I would give to be in the TTRS
This is what i thought to but i could've swore it was the TT-RS NJ plates over the german plate.
And today i saw a ugly ass hatch back looking FAT looking car and it was the Porsche 4 door sedan with quads am i seeing stuff?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 02:26 AM   #9
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
quite impressive. the number and spec look like a direct competitor to the cayman S IMO.
Quite right, it's probably the Cayman's closest rival, or should I say 'in-house' rival now Porsche is another brand under the VAG embrella.

Given that it's still using a Haldex awd system, admitted a tweaked version and have a weight balance which is very much nose lead it will not provide the same fine balance of a Cayman when pushed, but I bet (no I know) that in the hands of 95% of people it will be quicker on track or street. It's remarkably sure footed, especially when combined with the optional magneticride suspension and can be driven by the throttle, not something commonly said about an Audi.

To the member who thought he saw one, that's very interesting, it would be great if they brought it to the US because I'm convinced it would find a healthy customer base that would dig the character of the car. I know if I were in the Market for another coupe and didn't really need the rear seats then I would find it hard to pick between this, a Cayman S and an M3 coupe.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 03:25 AM   #10
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

1. 5 full seconds on the N'Ring is not an insignifcant amount. It's more or less a second a minute (rounding of course).
2. The MPSC+ is much closer to the MPS2 than the MPSC, the latter being a proper/formal track tire. I'm fairly sure you were in on the threads that flushed out this detail.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 04:06 AM   #11
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
1. 5 full seconds on the N'Ring is not an insignifcant amount. It's more or less a second a minute (rounding of course).
2. The MPSC+ is much closer to the MPS2 than the MPSC, the latter being a proper/formal track tire. I'm fairly sure you were in on the threads that flushed out this detail.
You are correct the time is worse, as for what difference the rubber will make, well that was why I said probably and not definitely. My guess between the two rubbers (CUP+ vs PS2) on the N-ring the improvement will be roughly 3-5s . Regardless of what we all think about the improvement the rubber makes, even if you do the maths swamp the TT-RS has less PTW than the M3 and based on your own opinion on the regression that means the TT-RS is an over performer.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 03:57 PM   #12
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

The TT-RS is definitely the first TT that has me completely impressed. I'll even admit to liking the fixed spoiler. Those numbers are impressive.

About it being the closest rival to the Cayman S...being front-engined and AWD...is that necessarily true?

And foot, what's up with the XF hanging in there by a thread?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #13
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkahtropolis View Post
The TT-RS is definitely the first TT that has me completely impressed. I'll even admit to liking the fixed spoiler. Those numbers are impressive.

About it being the closest rival to the Cayman S...being front-engined and AWD...is that necessarily true?

And foot, what's up with the XF hanging in there by a thread?
I suppose coming from Europe I can only think of the 370z and the TT-RS offering any competition for the Cayman on a purely excitement level, but if you are interested in lap times and quality to match the Porsche then only the TT fits that billing. As I wrote above I too don't see it offering the same fine chassis balance but it's still a compeling machine to drive and it's effiency to cover ground at blinding speed yet give the feeling of compete safety while doing it is hard not to be impressed.

Regarding the XF, well it's close to bring replaced, that's why I chose the words 'hanging by a thread'.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 07:53 PM   #14
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Quite right, it's probably the Cayman's closest rival, or should I say 'in-house' rival now Porsche is another brand under the VAG embrella.

Given that it's still using a Haldex awd system, admitted a tweaked version and have a weight balance which is very much nose lead it will not provide the same fine balance of a Cayman when pushed, but I bet (no I know) that in the hands of 95% of people it will be quicker on track or street. It's remarkably sure footed, especially when combined with the optional magneticride suspension and can be driven by the throttle, not something commonly said about an Audi.

To the member who thought he saw one, that's very interesting, it would be great if they brought it to the US because I'm convinced it would find a healthy customer base that would dig the character of the car. I know if I were in the Market for another coupe and didn't really need the rear seats then I would find it hard to pick between this, a Cayman S and an M3 coupe.
I don't think it is a competitor to the m3 coupe by any way shape or form though. very different in dimension here. one is a compact car with pretty much no room in the rear seat vs a mid size saloon for 4 fat american adults. huge different here IMO.

now if bmw put the m3 v8 in the new z4 vert or new z4m coupe. then that is gonna be some serious competition here
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 12:02 AM   #15
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
You are correct the time is worse, as for what difference the rubber will make, well that was why I said probably and not definitely. My guess between the two rubbers (CUP+ vs PS2) on the N-ring the improvement will be roughly 3-5s . Regardless of what we all think about the improvement the rubber makes, even if you do the maths swamp the TT-RS has less PTW than the M3 and based on your own opinion on the regression that means the TT-RS is an over performer.

P.S.
Drop the Audi fanboy crap, it's getting tiresome. It's in the right section and I made more of a point that it's a direct competitor to the Porsche, there's no need to feel threatened by this baby pocket rocket.

It amazes me that away from the open forum and through private messaging you and I can be very civil and agree more than not.
There is nothing at all wrong with the car. It probably does overperform regression prediction, half of the cars out there will overperform and half will underperform - that is the nature of the math. It is the outliers in either direction that are interesting. The car does not "threaten" me at all. I like it quite well, thanks very much.

You know the story. Many of us here get tired of your near universal praise for Audi, and although not universal, your very frequent criticisms of the M3. Sure everyone is entitled to their own opinion but again how many ex Vette owners would rant and rave about the M3 on a Vette forum?

This little tidbit you supplied along with my comments show your bias. You present everything Audi in the best possible way, with little to no criticisms. You also are the first to prematurely criticize and complain (often about mostly meaningless issues) with the M3. I simply pointed out that there is an alternate way of looking at this lap time.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 12:52 AM   #16
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
swamp,

Please do me a favour and go back to the last time I REALLY criticized the M3. As for the universal praise, well we aren't gets into the finer details of ownership which like the M3 can have to odd niggle but on the most part their products like the ones from BMW they are equally as good as equally as interesting.

As I said this Fanboy rant is getting tiresome.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 02:05 AM   #17
domobrown
Banned
Austria
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 S-Tronic

I don't see the big deal. If he criticizes the M3, you can't change his mind. Just ignore his 'annoying' comments and move on. He has owned one after all so he is entitled to discuss its ups and downs.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 11:37 PM   #18
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by domobrown View Post
I don't see the big deal. If he criticizes the M3, you can't change his mind. Just ignore his 'annoying' comments and move on. He has owned one after all so he is entitled to discuss its ups and downs.
I agree. now let's get back to the main point. who here would trade their m3 for this tt-rs? please be honest.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 01:09 AM   #19
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I agree. now let's get back to the main point. who here would trade their m3 for this tt-rs? please be honest.
How can you give an objective answer without actually driving one. Though that said if you are into the whole rwd only experience then I doubt too many would change because in the dry it's far to neat and tidy.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 11:23 AM   #20
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quit it with the fanboy accusations and discussions. If you don't like the topic or opinion, move on. This is the GENERAL Automotive discussion forum.

Keep the discussions TECHNICAL!
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #21
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 M3

Quote:
not a freakin chance would I trade my M3 for a TT-RS!
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 12:35 PM   #22
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Quit it with the fanboy accusations and discussions. If you don't like the topic or opinion, move on. This is the GENERAL Automotive discussion forum.

Keep the discussions TECHNICAL!
Thanks Jason, it's a shame everytime something other than BMW is discussed that certain members post the Fanboy banner just to derail the discuss taking place.

Last edited by footie; 01-27-2010 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 0