BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

01-31-2015, 07:08 AM   #23
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Here's my update......I had to have the Idle Control Actuator changed. I have 8 coils and plugs in the garage that will still get done in the coming days. I think a fresh set of coils and plugs will re-energize the car...Just a quick FYI....plugs were change around 35k and I'm now at 51k...............Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 09:46 AM   #24
Mfanatik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Could also be a slow reacting oxygen sensor, these cars use wideband sensors up front that control fuel trims a lot faster than old oxygen sensors. Once going to a HFC or catless system, you may have to replace them. As one mentions coils being weak, IMO the o2 sensors are worse on this car!

That's maybe why changing your gas and putting the additive helped it out, possibly cleaned the oxygen sensor a bit?

Just a hunch
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 11:32 AM   #25
chillp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 E90 (Sedan)

I've had the ESS HFC exhaust for over a year and no exhaust-related problems. Taking it to the dealer is a good idea. If it went into reduced power mode, I imagine that the dealer would be able to find fault codes. My guess is that it's either the vacuum pressure sensor or the idle control valve. The vacuum pressure sensor is affected by brake usage so you may be able to test that theory by taking your foot off the brake the next time you're at a stop and see if the idle jumps up to normal rpm.

| **PREVIOUS** | 2012 E92 M3 | ZCP | DCT | Jerez Black | Black Novillo |
| **PREVIOUS** | 2014 F13 M6 | DCT | Black Sapphire | Black Extended Merino |
| **CURRENT** | 2011 E90 M3 | ZCP | 6MT | Space Gray | Black Novillo |
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 12:54 PM   #26
cerran
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 M5, '16 M4

They inspected the idle control valve and said it was fine. They replaced the fuel tank breather valve and I haven't gotten any erratic idling since then.

So the erratic idle stopped but I started frequently getting engine malfunction/limp mode right after stopping at a light. And then shortly afterwards it started happening while I was slowing down for a stop and still doing 20-30mph.

Over the last month and a half they've replaced:
  • All the spark plugs
  • 3 Injectors (After seeing misfires in 3, 5 and 7, they swapped the plugs and coils into other cylinders and then apparently the same cylinders misfired again so they determined it was injectors.)
  • 1 Coil (I brought it back in and there was a misfire in 7 again. They swapped the coil into another cylinder and the misfire followed the coil.)

Picked up the car yesterday after they replaced the coil, 15 miles later the car went limp mode again.

Warranty expires in 3 days
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 12:58 PM   #27
MFL
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [9.00]
Leave the car there and tell them to call you when it's fixed.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 01:02 PM   #28
cerran
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFL View Post
Leave the car there and tell them to call you when it's fixed.
Their shop foreman is taking the car home each time on a 50 mile drive but sometimes the car just runs fine :/ The issue is fairly intermittent. This time I got 15 miles but last time I went about 200 before the engine malfunction.

So frustrating...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 01:58 PM   #29
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

Not that you or the guy's doing the exhaust, shot the ECU...
IIRC any exterrior welding, if not grounded correctly can cause the ECU to go down south.
Just saying, of course I don't know if there was any welding required in your exhaust setup but if it was...could be possible to cause some kind of damage.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 09:32 AM   #30
MMAJNKE
MMA Changed My Life!
Japan
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 & f30 328i

Garage List
Im having a similar issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 08:28 PM   #31
cerran
Private
United_States
Rep

Update:

One of the misfires this time was in a cylinder that had new plug, injector and coil. They did a compression test on every cylinder and they all came back fine. Now replacing all 4 O2 sensors.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 01:38 AM   #32
fellationship
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Did dealer give you any warranty problems with an aftermarket exhaust? It doesn't sound like it, but wondering if there were any warranty problems because of exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 01:23 PM   #33
cerran
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fellationship View Post
Did dealer give you any warranty problems with an aftermarket exhaust? It doesn't sound like it, but wondering if there were any warranty problems because of exhaust.
Surprisingly enough it hasn't been brought up at all. If it turns out the shop I went to damaged my O2 sensors during the exhaust installation I'm gonna be pissed... and also impressed by BMW warrantying it.

I've been pretty happy overall with my BMW warranty experiences. One time I mentioned a slight rattle that I didn't think could be fixed and they replaced my whole center armrest and rear passenger AC thingy.

My warranty expires today. Might be time to get a newer E92 or a F80 ha...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 01:30 PM   #34
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerran View Post
Surprisingly enough it hasn't been brought up at all. If it turns out the shop I went to damaged my O2 sensors during the exhaust installation I'm gonna be pissed... and also impressed by BMW warrantying it.

I've been pretty happy overall with my BMW warranty experiences. One time I mentioned a slight rattle that I didn't think could be fixed and they replaced my whole center armrest and rear passenger AC thingy.

My warranty expires today. Might be time to get a newer E92 or a F80 ha...
That's why I'm very pickey what kind of shop's get their hand's on my car and if they had allready experience with our type of car's. Anyhow at the end your good, right? That's just another lesson learned and keep on rockin!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 01:33 AM   #35
cerran
Private
United_States
Rep

Update:

O2 sensors replaced, didn't fix it.

Now they're gonna pull the valve cover and inspect the valve springs. New valve cover gaskets ordered.
Appreciate 0