BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

07-03-2009, 04:51 PM   #45
Zoli007
Professional lurker
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, 2016 MCB M3 sold =(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
If you asking about the ranking in regards to their overall QUALITY, this is how they rank:

1. NEEZ (8000 TON Forged)
2 RAYS (8000 TON Forged)
3. HRE (4000 TON Forged)
4. ADVAN RS (Flow-Formed CAST)
5. VMR (Gravity CAST)

360 forged? lol...you've got to be kidding me!
Put RAC in that list of 8000 TON Forged.
      07-03-2009, 05:08 PM   #46
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoli007 View Post
Put RAC in that list of 8000 TON Forged.
      07-08-2009, 07:45 PM   #47
PIXLE
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M3

I found these people but have never heard of them. I heard they are making an 18" 3 piece wheels for the track. I race with NASA and they are always there. I think they are a sponsor or something.

issforged.com
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 08:13 PM   #48
ba22
Hello
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 (gone), E90 330i (gone)

Quote:
If you asking about the ranking in regards to their overall QUALITY, this is how they rank:

2 RAYS (8000 TON Forged)
3. HRE (4000 TON Forged)
4. ADVAN RS (Flow-Formed CAST)
5. VMR (Gravity CAST)

360 forged? lol...you've got to be kidding me!
Where did you get your information? Are these accurate numbers?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 10:30 PM   #49
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Who has good prices on Neez wheels in the US?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 10:34 PM   #50
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba22 View Post
http://neezinternational.com/product03.html
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 10:45 PM   #51
Lemans_Blue_M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba22 View Post
Years of experience my friend...
      07-08-2009, 11:02 PM   #52
TonyTone
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 VERT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIXLE View Post
I found these people but have never heard of them. I heard they are making an 18" 3 piece wheels for the track. I race with NASA and they are always there. I think they are a sponsor or something.

issforged.com
I believe they are

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 07:11 AM   #53
PIXLE
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M3

I hadn't seen that WOW!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 05:13 PM   #54
modbargains
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i & 01 Toyota Avalon

Quote:

2 RAYS (8000 TON Forged)
3. HRE (4000 TON Forged)
4. ForgeStar (Flow-Formed CAST)
5. ADVAN RS (Flow-Formed CAST)
6. VMR (Low Pressure CAST)
Revised

ForgeStar is rated at 1500lbs / corner, Flow Form Casted, and on top everthing is made to order

BTW, VMR is low pressue casted, not gravity casted
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 07:13 PM   #55
Lemans_Blue_M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s View Post
Revised

ForgeStar is rated at 1500lbs / corner, Flow Form Casted, and on top everthing is made to order

BTW, VMR is low pressue casted, not gravity casted
Hey Roger...

Could you please do me a favor and NOT act like a complete dik? Thanks.

The guy that was asking the question earlier...never asked about your Forgestar wheels okay?

I see that you couldn't resist the urge to 'slip' that little marketing plug in there huh...

Maybe you should ask me why I said that, instead of posting a smartass reply. (just a suggestion)

The OWNER of Velocity Motoring (Peter Shieh) told me directly that his wheels were GRAVITY CAST, not Low Pressure Cast. I assume the man knows how his own wheels are built.

He even publicly stated that on this very site:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=11

Now, if they have upgraded (to low pressure casting) since I last spoke to him, that's great.

I personally like Peter and the business he has built since he started Velocity Motoring several years ago. I respect the man's attention to detail, and his rigorous wheel testing program. (especially for cast wheels) Not every company does that, or even wants to...

So maybe your time would be better spent finding out what the truth is first...then make sure everyone is putting out the same information to the general public.

Other factory vendors for VMR wheels are still saying the wheels are gravity cast...so that needs to be cleared up to an absolute certainty. (conflicting information)

And to be perfectly honest here, there isn't a lot of difference between the two. (strength wise) Flow formed casting on the other hand is a different story...

In the future, I would prefer if you would just ask me a question, if there is something you don't understand about one of my posts. Thanks.

BTW: This forum's software has a spell check plug-in...you might want to use it sometime.
      07-13-2009, 08:49 PM   #56
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 09:38 PM   #57
Lemans_Blue_M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
No, it's not like that man.

I only said all that because he quoted me, then changed the text of my post to make it a part of his sales pitch. I don't appreciate that one bit.

In fact, I thought it was in very poor taste.

He also added that 'zinger' with the last line of his post. He was basically saying I didn't have a clue how VRM wheels are made. That also ticked me off.

He should have respectfully stated that he believed the wheels are now made using a different cast manufacturing technique. There was no need to be an ass about it...

Now if he would have just quoted the person who asked that original question (and left me out of it altogether)...then I wouldn't have posted that earlier response.

But he just had to drag me into it...
      07-14-2009, 12:03 AM   #58
crimsone90
Banned
Rep
Drives: MR E92 M3

Quote:

I only said all that because he quoted me, then changed the text of my post to make it a part of his sales pitch. I don't appreciate that one bit.

He also added that 'zinger' with the last line of his post. He was basically saying I didn't have a clue how VRM wheels are made. That also ticked me off.

He should have respectfully stated that he believed the wheels are now made using a different cast manufacturing technique. There was no need to be an ass about it...

Now if he would have just quoted the person who asked that original question (and left me out of it altogether)...then I wouldn't have posted that earlier response.

Hi Cleveland
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #59
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

I was just being sarcastic
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 10:23 PM   #60
Fanta
C
Canada
Rep
Drives: 740iL, M3, Carrera

Lemans_Blue_M,
Thanks! I joined this forum for a few months and read a lot of critics, some articles were too personal. I try to look for fare opinions, yours are definite worth to read. You are a man with wisdom!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 10:37 PM   #61
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Hey Roger...

The guy that was asking the question earlier...never asked about your Forgestar wheels okay?

I see that you couldn't resist the urge to 'slip' that little marketing plug in there huh...

Maybe you should ask me why I said that, instead of posting a smartass reply. (just a suggestion)

The OWNER of Velocity Motoring (Peter Shieh) told me directly that his wheels were GRAVITY CAST, not Low Pressure Cast. I assume the man knows how his own wheels are built.

Now, if they have upgraded (to low pressure casting) since I last spoke to him, that's great.

I personally like Peter and the business he has built since he started Velocity Motoring several years ago. I respect the man's attention to detail, and his rigorous wheel testing program. (especially for cast wheels) Not every company does that, or even wants to...

So maybe your time would be better spent finding out what the truth is first...then make sure everyone is putting out the same information to the general public.

Other factory vendors for VMR wheels are still saying the wheels are gravity cast...so that needs to be cleared up to an absolute certainty. (conflicting information)

And to be perfectly honest here, there isn't a lot of difference between the two. (strength wise) Flow formed casting on the other hand is a different story...

In the future, I would prefer if you would just ask me a question, if there is something you don't understand about one of my posts. Thanks.

BTW: This forum's software has a spell check plug-in...you might want to use it sometime.
I agree 100%.

I was with Peter during a factory tour back in April and was very impressed on the manufacturing processes used in their lineup, particularly to quality control. While a little on the heavier side (25-28lbs) when comparing to the Volk/Advan/BBS series, the VMRs very well made, strong and a great value for the money.

As for the list - I agree with Zoli007 & Lemans_Blue_M, RAC really needs to be on there as well.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 11:50 PM   #62
crimsone90
Banned
Rep
Drives: MR E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelocityMotoring View Post
*** NON COMMERCIAL POST ***

Hi, our VB3 CSL wheels aren't that heavy. They weigh about the same as the Z15. They are single piece gravity cast wheels. Irregardless of the way it is cast, they all go thru the same quality testing before shipping. My .02, if you use the exact same tooling for spun cast, you'll get about the same volume of aluminum alloy in the wheel as gravity cast. It is theoretically possible to modify the tooling to reduce the volume of aluminum alloy, but the cost to benefit isn't there for us nor the customers. OE's have the luxury of doing so because producing 100k wheels is probably cheaper than making 1k wheels at gravity cast. Its just a matter of economies to scale.

On top of that, you'll be able to have a BMW roundel on the centercap.

I haven't seen the other guy's wheels in person, but I think forum members are more qualified to give their .02 on quality than the manufacturer themselves. But I believe the quality speaks for itself, knowing that it is hard to compare apples with apples on the internet, especially with "photogenic" pictures.

As far as offsets go, the E90 can use anything between 25-40 offset. I'm not sure why, but you can literally stick your foot between the stock wheel and fenderwell But yeah, hubcentric spacers on average are around $60ea, bolts $3ea, + shipping.

Any interest in our wheels please contact any of our retailers for pricing and availability.

Thanks!

Peter
Quote:
Hey Roger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
I agree 100%.

I was with Peter during a factory tour back in April and was very impressed on the manufacturing processes used in their lineup, particularly to quality control. While a little on the heavier side (25-28lbs) when comparing to the Volk/Advan/BBS series, the VMRs very well made, strong and a great value for the money.

As for the list - I agree with Zoli007 & Lemans_Blue_M, RAC really needs to be on there as well.
Is confirmed. VMR Wheels are gravity cast.

In all the years that I`ve been working in this industry I've never got too interested in cast wheels manufacturers, yet I`m shocked to find out that VMR Wheels uses gravity casting.

For those that do not know the difference, Tirerack has a very good brief description:

GRAVITY CASTING
Gravity casting is the most basic process of pouring molten aluminum into a mold utilizing the earth's gravity to fill the mold. Gravity casting offers a very reasonable production cost and is a good method for casting designs that are more visually oriented or when reducing weight is not a primary concern. Since the process relies on gravity to fill the mold, the aluminum is not as densely packed in the mold as some other casting processes. Often gravity cast wheels will have a higher weight to achieve the required strength.

LOW PRESSURE CASTING
Low pressure casting uses positive pressure to move the molten aluminum into the mold quicker and achieve a finished product that has improved mechanical properties (more dense) over a gravity cast wheel. Low-pressure casting has a slightly higher production cost over gravity casting. Low pressure is the most common process approved for aluminum wheels sold to the O.E.M. market. Low-pressure cast wheels offer a good value for the aftermarket as well. Some companies offer wheels that are produced under a higher pressure in special casting equipment to create a wheel that is lighter and stronger than a wheel produced in low pressure. Once again in the quest for lighter weight, there is a higher cost associated with the process.

With the exception of the significantly higher tooling cost for low-pressure casting there is really not much difference in cost per unit over gravity casting but the advantages of it are very clear. With LPC you`ll get a slightly lighter but much stronger wheel which is after all the ultimate goal. Gravity casting are inferior to low-pressure cast wheels. You just can't claim OEM quality if you don't use OEM quality standards & manufacturing processes. They are great value for the money, as Tom says, but in my opinion there are better options out there and better quality as well.

As far as RAC I don't consider them a manufacturer, more like a distributor, since Taneisya and Champion do basically everything for them, however, their product quality is top-notch.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 02:38 AM   #63
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

I have yet to find a good wheel where I can save 5 Lbs. on each corner for my M3 in a 19" size...
Appreciate 0