BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

02-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #45
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzentruber
Oh, and I still haven't gotten my question answered. What the heck was that open air vehicle the two of you ran down close to the end? Looks like an interesting vehicle to be on the track in.
The car at the end of the video looks like a Caterham.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #46
bjf66
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is DCT

The mods to the car are very tasteful, the driving is great, and the video production is amazing! Thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #47
ortho281
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
I'm using this one: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica...ords=lapel+mic

For the most part. I upshift at about 7000-7500 rpms and tend to drop to about 80-90% throttle because I occasionally get flagged by sound. I think weather and cloud position have something to do with it. I'd rather lose a tenth of a second in lap time than the rest of my session because I went slightly over 92db.
Quote:
My setup for those who are asking:

I have a go pro mounted to the outside of my back seat window. I think that's the next best thing to mounted it in the bar behind the driver. I can see the track as well as most of the driver inputs. I have a second camera mounted on my rear window facing backwards. It's nice to see what's going on back there and there's the added bonus of easily being able to place an external mic on the rear bumper.

I basically fed the mic wire from the top corner of my trunk and then back out at the bottom. I taped the mic to the top corner of the bumper because it's close to the exhaust as well as shields a lot of wind. Here's a photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/radiant...n/photostream/

So I have 2 camera angles and good audio from an external mic on the rear bumper. I also have a Solo DL capturing data from my ECU. When I get home I'll sync my 2 video angles in Final Cut Pro and only use the audio from the mic'd go pro. In Final Cut, you can playback your video with the multiple angles and choose which camera to use on the fly as you watch it. It's pretty slick.

After I export my video which has 2 camera angles and audio, I'll move it over to Windows. In Windows I download all my Solo data to Race Studio and export the appropriate session data as a .csv file. So now I have a video clip and a data file. I use an app called Dashware to take that data and overlay it as visuals on my video. The interface allows me to scrub the video and visual data until they both line up. After that I export the final video.

It's a bit of a process which is why I usually only do 1-2 of my best sessions, but I think it's well worth it for future reference and it's just more entertaining to watch.
Let me start by saying great vid and driving! I especially like the rear views after getting the point-by's. I'm subscribed! I also have the Solo DL, a Hero2 and same ext mic. I tried using Dashware to overlay Aim data, but find that after playing vid for 1-2 laps the sync is off by as much a 1/3 of a straight away. Usually, it the Aim data that is lagging behind vid. Can you please shed some light on what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks! P.S. How did you set up gauges in Dashware?

Akra GT4 / MS Stage 2 / MS UDP / BPM Tune / KW CS / H&R Sways / TMS Delrin / ST 380/355 BBK / Cantrell 2.5" Ducts / SR34 Pads / Apex Arc-8 / Hoosier R7's / Mode GT4 Splitter / GT4 Canards / APR GT-250 Wing / Cantrell Half Cage / Recaro Pro Racer / Schroth Profi II-6 / BMW Alcantera Wheel / Cool Shirt / ESS Fire Supp / Solo DL
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #48
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho281 View Post
Let me start by saying great vid and driving! I especially like the rear views after getting the point-by's. I'm subscribed! I also have the Solo DL, a Hero2 and same ext mic. I tried using Dashware to overlay Aim data, but find that after playing vid for 1-2 laps the sync is off by as much a 1/3 of a straight away. Usually, it the Aim data that is lagging behind vid. Can you please shed some light on what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks! P.S. How did you set up gauges in Dashware?
There's some sort of pause or glitch between the first and second lap of data. If you sync them up on the first lap, they'll be messed up after that lap (when the timer starts actually counting). So I just sync at the first corner of the 2nd lap (first timed lap). Should be good from there on.

I just used one of the defaults and edited them on my own to get the color/look I wanted.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #49
ortho281
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
There's some sort of pause or glitch between the first and second lap of data. If you sync them up on the first lap, they'll be messed up after that lap (when the timer starts actually counting). So I just sync at the first corner of the 2nd lap (first timed lap). Should be good from there on.

I just used one of the defaults and edited them on my own to get the color/look I wanted.
Thanks for the tip, I'll try that!

Akra GT4 / MS Stage 2 / MS UDP / BPM Tune / KW CS / H&R Sways / TMS Delrin / ST 380/355 BBK / Cantrell 2.5" Ducts / SR34 Pads / Apex Arc-8 / Hoosier R7's / Mode GT4 Splitter / GT4 Canards / APR GT-250 Wing / Cantrell Half Cage / Recaro Pro Racer / Schroth Profi II-6 / BMW Alcantera Wheel / Cool Shirt / ESS Fire Supp / Solo DL
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #50
Dartanium
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

very useful and educational videos, it was quite enjoyable to watch, thanks and hope to see more
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #51
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Nice driving! Your camera setup rocks as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #52
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3, '15 F15 X5d

wow.. thats a great vid compilation!

its fun passing the fast cars, isnt it? heres a couple pics of my sequence a few weeks ago

i havent had time to get vids cleaned up.. working on that!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #53
SneakyDeeky
driver mod in progress
United_States
Rep
Drives: with both feet

Garage List
2015 VW Golf R  [5.50]
2014 Audi SQ5  [10.00]
Thumbs up

Quote:
My setup for those who are asking:

I have a go pro mounted to the outside of my back seat window...

It's a bit of a process which is why I usually only do 1-2 of my best sessions, but I think it's well worth it for future reference and it's just more entertaining to watch.
Yeah it is!
1) Thanks for making the video and posting - awesome!
2) Thanks for responding with the picture showing the setup.
3) So jealous that track is close to you. Someday I'm going to make a road trip up there just to drive that track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
I love watching your videos! My mac is right next to my gaming TV and I just raced you simultaneously on Forza Motorsport. You won lol
      05-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #54
dmw16
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 ///M3

Awesome driving, but the passing is more like 7:55 minutes in.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #55
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw16
Awesome driving, but the passing is more like 7:55 minutes in.
Great videos! thanks for sharing. passing at 11:15, none at 10:15 in the Ferrari video.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #56
thorny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Man, all those walls make me nervous. I was at the track for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Just drove by to check it out. First of all - insane place to build a track, the place is the mountain !! Cork screw is crazy in person, videos do not show how steep it really is. It was Monday and the track was rented out by some guys going in circles in their Ferraris. (What a life, huh?!) One Ferrari was scraping in two different spots in the corkscrew. (Insert your own 'fat chick' joke here) lol

Awesome videos!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 01:07 AM   #57
RaphaelM
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92 IB DCT

Quote:
Just another day in the M3 passing Ferrari's (exactly 6 minutes in for that).

I actually had a hard time keeping up with him in the earlier sessions because he'd pull away in the straights, but I was definitely faster in the corners. And he would lift super early through turn 1 (which you can see after I pass him). I had lots of fun yesterday aside from traffic and people not giving point by's. Maybe soon I can graduate to open passing.
AWESOME driving and video Mark!
Appreciate 0