BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

04-24-2010, 04:41 PM   #67
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

im not sure have to see it in outside light conditions not sure
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 05:20 PM   #68
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Now that the BMW Gran Coupe has made it's debut in Beijing and the praise comes forth regarding it's design , but also questions about the Concept itself.

In the last few months , BMW have just recently approved the car and green lit it for production , as there is standard model that can be completely finished within a short time frame , the car shown was indeed a design concept with no interior or mechanicals. When the car makes it's European debut again as a Concept at the Paris Autoshow in October the car will showcase more features and functionality.

It will also feature an interior as the car will pre-empt the launch of the all new BMW 6er Coupe towards the close of the year.
Aswell as a Four Door Gran Coupe , BMW have also designed and built a proposal as a Shooting Brake with a sloping Coupe roof presenting a split hatch. The Shooting Brake has been commissioned as a design model to evaluate the feasibility of adding such a model to the 6er family as the luxury segment seeks new concepts for customers who need more use from their cars.

The interior for the Gran Coupe will bring new ideas and creativity into a car's interior especially a BMW. Conventional approaches can be applied to interior trims but there is a greater need for a more unconventional stylish look for new concepts , such ideas involve glass , copper and even stone finish for controls and switchgear taking the idea from the Ceramic options with the new 7er.

Wood is a stylish way to integrate some luxury into your product , but it has become regular in a car. A new approach is to use premium fabrics in door cappings which involves a spread of this fabric stretched and then sort of laminated with a clear coating , A combination of leather and fabric for the seats in the passenger compartment can be applied to other areas of the car such as the steering wheel boss , for example the rim could be in leather with wooden inserts but the centre could be in fabric.

If you look at BMW's collaboration with Kvadrat on the Gran Turismo you can see how BMW want to collaborate with new ideas to interior design, If you look at Kvadrat's web site http://www.kvadrat.dk/ and what they offer you can see why BMW intend to collaborate with such companies to add a new feel of premium texture and color to it's future interior concepts.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 05:31 PM   #69
oztiks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Gran coupe

Very nice!!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 06:04 PM   #70
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
This is a stunning looking car, probably BMW's finest in many a year.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 08:21 PM   #71
RBP
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Convertible M sport

This is one of the very few times I have truly loved a car's design. This Gran Coupe is just stunning. Of course the question is whether it will actually enter production and how much of this styling will be retained. As much as this looks production ready, concepts and the production cars are often significantly different and lose some of that eroticism.

My first thought however, was that the this is what the 5er should have looked like. I think BMW fell short with the 5er design, and this Grand Coupe front would have made the new 5er look perfect. And since the 5er is by far and away a bigger seller and profit maker for BMW I think this was a mistake. If this GC makes it to production it won't sell in significant numbers to really matter to BMW's bottom line, however if the new 5er looked like this...they would have stolen even more market share from Audi and Mercedes-Benz.

If this GC does come to market and looks just like this...then I will certainly be driving one.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 11:04 PM   #72
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

..I would love to see some strong wheels... thick spokes...4-5... reduce the carriage look
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #73
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

It is interesting the car will incorporate the use of copper, presumably for the esthetics. This is quite unique, except for wiring, copper is usually not used, because it is relatively heavy. With technology available to BMW, it is certain that the material will be used in a reasonable and creative manner. I will wait to see it - from the images posted on the forum, the car looks very elegant.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 10:29 AM   #74
bmwaddict
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 335is E92

Here's an example or a general idea about "5 Series GT Meets Kvadrat" http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377443

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
If you look at BMW's collaboration with Kvadrat on the Gran Turismo you can see how BMW want to collaborate with new ideas to interior design, If you look at Kvadrat's web site http://www.kvadrat.dk/ and what they offer you can see why BMW intend to collaborate with such companies to add a new feel of premium texture and color to it's future interior concepts.

Last edited by bmwaddict; 04-26-2010 at 02:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 10:46 AM   #75
ChrisV
7er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW 740iL

Garage List
1998 740iL  [6.00]
As nice as teh car is, I'm tired of the "we're in marketing, so we really don't care about definitions anymore" mentality that has removed all meaning from the word Coupe.

it's a sedan. it's a nice sedan. it's an attractive sedan. I'ts most likely a fast seddan. it's all those things. What it ins't, is a coupe.. Neither is the CLS. Or the RX8 (though it's closest).

What's next? The cloth top 6er is a pickup? The Z4M is a station wagon?

Definitions for these things already exist and already work. Definitions are necessary for communication. it'd be nice to know that when I aked for a banana you brought me a long yellow tropical fruit and not a large gray animal with a trunk, simply because your definition is different than mine.

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 12:06 PM   #76
roundel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Black 5.0 6M

Garage List
2011 5.0  [0.00]
Definitely a rush job. I'm thinking BMW is starting to panic with Audi passing them this year in global sales and Daimler hot on their heels.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #77
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

To PM3: It is not late that this Gran Coupe comes out. There is only one generation CLS. In Paris BMW shall present the new CLS, and BMW will have the BMW 6 Series Gran Coupé, and Audi the A7. So all will be new in the same time. You surprise me, when you say it comes to much late. The worst thing, is you are, as you said, a potential client, and don't say: "WTF BMW! Mercedes S AMG and Audi S8 have two generations, in Paris Audi is going to show the new S8, and BMW has yet no M7, even not in plan."

Last edited by BMW269; 04-26-2010 at 12:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 01:51 PM   #78
zamm3k
Bla!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM3 View Post
Dont forget bmw is only now showing a preliminar concept...hell it doesnt even have an interior yet...and has you pointed out mercedes has 7 years...7 years + at least 3 for development...almost a decade in advance of bmw in this game...and audi already as this car ready to go on the market + all the knowledge from porsche and vw...so not only bmw is the last of the premium manufacters to make a car like this its already a decade behind the first one!!!!!!! And you say they are not late????

Be certain of this...if bmw puts this car out in 2012 means it was a rush job...since they need at least 3 years of development and that would make bmw 12 years behind merc!!!

Late doesnt even begin to describe it mate...but hey at least take some confort in knowing bmw will be the first premium brand to develop a megacity vehicle...oh...shit...wait...hasnt mercedes made something called a SMART btw???? (yes i know someone will tell me its different...its electric bla bla) SAME SHIT DIFFERENT SMELL

I have said it many times before and ill say it again...the current bmw board does not have a plan...a vision for the future...it just goes with flow...and the proof is in making a spectacular concept 2 years ago...cancel it while other brands (aston martin and VW - audi porsche) worked on them - despite the market not beeing right at the time but sensibly knowing it would pick up...and now that it has they have their products ready...while bmw is doing crapy concepts just to try and pick up with the others...

but time will tell...the panamera has been selling like crazy...and probably cost a lot more than the 6 coup GT will...lets see who sells more in 3 years time.
Quote:
look...ask yourself why is the X5 the most popular premium SUV out there...why is the M3 so popular...why is the 3 ser so popular??

obviously because they are excelent products but because they broke the mould...they were the first out there to offer a package that combine design, power, luxury and great handling...while today all other brands just follow bmw...especially audi.

thats my main reason for saying I think bmw is coming to late to this coupe business...lets not forget all of us here are biased...we will buy and we love our bimmers but there are a lot of other people out there...specially these emerging markets that dont have this idea about bmw and rwd and handling like we do. So unless bmw really makes and incredible product that makes the other competitors look like shit...this car will fail...and I dont see how making a crapy concept just to try and catch up with others will do that...as someone likes to say bmw doesnt follow...it leads....doesnt look like it now...

And if you want another great example take the BMW M5 touring or the M3 4 door coup versus audis RS4 and RS6 Avant...the bimmers are better cars in terms of handling...they had what was considered the best engine in the world for 2 years in a row if im not mistaken and yet it appears bmw wont make another M5 or M3 touring because of poor sales...why??? simply because audi created that market 20 years ago almost...are they better?? no but they were the first!!!

I would really like to know what scott thinks about this concept compared to audis A7 concept...if he thinks this was good move from bmw to present such a poor concept production wise instead of a proper one like audi did...or just wait a few more months and do it right in paris...and if they are presenting this concept now whats the point of showing a different version in paris...was there some pressure from the board to have something to show the chinese?
Amen!
      04-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #79
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

To PM3: If it is late for BMW to rival the Audi A7 and Mercedes CLS, then what to say about the ones to rival the Audi A1/S1, S8 and R8................................."BMW give up, you lost, in a while you'll be bankrupt, sell your brand to VAG. They'll build some very beautiful R8 with M badge."

Last edited by BMW269; 04-26-2010 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #80
Renus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindgame View Post
Looks like a new model year 6 series

also why is a vehicle titled "Gran Coupe" 4 door?

Yes, it's as long as 6 series I think, but use to compete with CLS and Panamera IMHO

So, Gran Coupe = Not cheap
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 02:47 PM   #81
nemex12
Captain
Rep
Drives: e60,z4

why didnt the cs go into production? i think is much alike and even more beautiful.by the way the front lights resemblance those of the hyundai genesis coupe.
      04-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #82
bmwaddict
Banned
United_States
Rep

I think PM3 is right!!!

It's a true statement that BMW is behind because many people are talking about the same thing. These guys at Fast Lane Daily talked about a similar subject we are having right.

[u2b]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://web1.nyc.youtube.com/v/N7Y2X-flRkM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://web1.nyc.youtube.com/v/N7Y2X-flRkM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]

It's been a week I started this thread! : http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377790
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 03:09 PM   #83
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

BMW fucked it up. Neither Motorsport nor Efficient Dynamics.

Nevertheless, I know if one day I want a 4 door sedan, I will not take any of these: C Class, E Class, S Class, CLS Class, A4, A5, A6, A7, A8, Passat CC, Phaeton, 3 Series, 5 Series, 7 Series, CTS, 300C, XF, XJ, Quattroporte, Continental Flying Spur, Panamera, Rapide, Estoque, but this: 6 Series Gran Coupé.

Well, now waiting for "M1". Hope I will not be disapointed.

Last edited by BMW269; 04-26-2010 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 03:34 PM   #84
nr09
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

the design is good but what's going on with the paint??

2006 325i | Sparkling Graphite | Black Interior | Steptronic | Premium Pkg | iDrive | Xenons | Heated Seats
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 03:43 PM   #85
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
either u dont know how to read or u just didnt bother reading my post but again...look at the example of the M5 touring and M3 4 door...slow sales mean they will be canceled...did u see the same statment from audi regarding the RS6 Avant??? u are talking about big volume cars (the A1) that compared to the development costs are feasible...small volume cars like this 6ser coup...or the M5 touring...or the 4door M3...are low volume so if they dont sell they will just be canceled in the future...comprenez pas?
Ok, I see what you mean. But what can you say about 5 GT? Did not BMW say this is a niche model, and not a volume model? But they did it because it was not to expensive to build. So the same goes for 6 GC. Now I wonder how a 5 GT is cheaper to develop than an M3 Touring (E91)? Just swap M3 Sedan (E90) parts and make a new rear bumper. A new bumper is cheaper than to make for the 5 GT completely different head-and rear-lights compared to 5 Series (F10) or 7 Series (F01). If not, would not you like to have an M7? How BMW can not rival S AMG and S8? BMW arguments are shit. How they can not lighten the M3 with asking 115.000 €? The Boxter Spyder costs only 7.000 € more than a Boxster S.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #86
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Yo, I see. Anyway I am going to Paris in September, and I will see live what BMW brings up there.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 08:00 PM   #87
palpatine_us
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i

Its already being tested- BMW Blog had this Camo.

Definitely has 4 doors.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/04/19/sp...-bmw-6-series/

Almost looks like a coupe...almost.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #88
bmwaddict
Banned
United_States
Rep

it seems like it's true!
Quote:
Originally Posted by palpatine_us View Post
Its already being tested- BMW Blog had this Camo.

Definitely has 4 doors.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/04/19/sp...-bmw-6-series/

Almost looks like a coupe...almost.
Appreciate 0