BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

04-18-2020, 01:17 PM   #177
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
My understanding is those against SALT deductions do so mainly because of two reasons.

1. The SALT deduction provides economic and thus political cover to state governments when they raise taxes. This only encourages more spending and raising taxes on the state level....

I thought Democrats liked higher taxes? :
What business is it of the Fed how the independent states tax their citizenry? Especially when these high SALT Blue states to carry the low SALT red states?
Who should rightfully be telling whom how to tax?

Murf
Appreciate 1
jmg18872.00
      04-18-2020, 01:20 PM   #178
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Quote:
My understanding is those against SALT deductions do so mainly because of two reasons.

1. The SALT deduction provides economic and thus political cover to state governments when they raise taxes. This only encourages more spending and raising taxes on the state level....

I thought Democrats liked higher taxes? :
What business is it of the Fed how the independent states tax their citizenry? Especially when these high SALT Blue states to carry the low SALT red states?
Who should rightfully be telling whom how to tax?

Murf
They aren't. They're stopping letting the states pass the bill to them. That's the point.
      04-18-2020, 01:26 PM   #179
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Not necessarily - depends on one’s effective income tax rate. And if the issue is that capital gains rates are “unfair”, wouldn’t the logical solution be to raise capital gains taxes while people are alive rather than taxing them for dying (and dealing with the cost of capital consequences)? I’m not advocating for higher capital gains taxes at all, but not sure why an estate tax is justified because capital gains tax rates are what they are.

You asked what the difference was. Here’s another way to think about it. Let’s say you had zero income, zero assets and zero consumption (maybe you live off the public lands). You would owe zero taxes. However, if you were taxed to be alive, that would mean you owe taxes even with no income, assets or consumption. Substitute “dead” for “alive” and that’s the estate tax....
The last two Dems in WH fought for a substantial estate tax. Who killed that idea, saying it was 'double taxation'?

If I substitute "dead" for "alive" in your above example (no other changes), the person would still owe no taxes. How does a person with no income, assets, & consumption(!) pay a "death", or estate tax.

Murf
Appreciate 1
minn1914078.00
      04-18-2020, 01:27 PM   #180
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

At this point, my priorities are bourbon, beer and food.
upstatedoc7568.50
      04-18-2020, 01:29 PM   #181
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They aren't. They're stopping letting the states pass the bill to them. That's the point.
You missed something. The High SALT states carry the Low SALT states on the Fed tax level. It isn't the other way around.
Do you want to cut off your nose despite your face, or what?

Murf
Appreciate 2
jmg18872.00
minn1914078.00
      04-18-2020, 01:31 PM   #182
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:
You missed something. The High SALT states carry the Low SALT states on the Fed tax level. It isn't the other way around.

Murf
How would SALT reform impact any change in that?
      04-18-2020, 01:36 PM   #183
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How would SALT reform impact any change in that?
I doubt it would; Whiny Red would still try to suckle at Big Blue's Teat.
But we would have one less big distortion in fed taxation, which would help the overall efficiency of our country.

Murf
Appreciate 2
jmg18872.00
minn1914078.00
      04-18-2020, 01:36 PM   #184
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

The way I look at it it's pretty simple. The fucking government takes my money when I make it, they take it when I spend it, they take it just because I own shit, they take it if I give it away and apparently they also take it when I die. If that wasn't bad enough they blow most of it on hookers and blow. So fuck them! I will take back whatever I can, whenever I can and I don't even feel a tiny bit bad about it.
Appreciate 5
jmg18872.00
upstatedoc7568.50
Conissah1576.00
      04-18-2020, 01:46 PM   #185
Bimmer100_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 M3 6SPD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwsteg View Post
I'm the opposite. I rather corporations and large businesses get "help". They employ millions of people in this country. Whereas those who qualify for the stimulus check and small business do nothing for the economy except "get" more than they give. And small businesses who manipulate tax returns.

Or we make things fair and everyone qualifies. Then no one has the right to complain.
Small businesses do nothing for the economy? And you don’t think small businesses employ millions of people? This has to be the most ridiculous post I have ever read.
What I consider small business is "mom n pops" operations. If you have more than 10 employees, I consider that a real business.
      04-18-2020, 01:51 PM   #186
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm the opposite. I rather corporations and large businesses get "help". They employ millions of people in this country. Whereas those who qualify for the stimulus check and small business do nothing for the economy except "get" more than they give. And small businesses who manipulate tax returns.

Or we make things fair and everyone qualifies. Then no one has the right to complain.
Small businesses do nothing for the economy? And you don't think small businesses employ millions of people? This has to be the most ridiculous post I have ever read.
What I consider small business is "mom n pops" operations. If you have more than 10 employees, I consider that a real business.
Wow. The official definition of a small business is <500 employees. What's weird is you seem to not consider a 9 person organization a "real business." Radical.
      04-18-2020, 02:18 PM   #187
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
The last two Dems in WH fought for a substantial estate tax. Who killed that idea, saying it was 'double taxation'?

If I substitute "dead" for "alive" in your above example (no other changes), the person would still owe no taxes. How does a person with no income, assets, & consumption(!) pay a "death", or estate tax.

Murf
You obviously aren’t interested in what I’m telling you and just veer further and further away from the original erroneous statement you made, so let’s just agree to disagree and spare everyone else in the thread from further posts that are going nowhere.
      04-18-2020, 03:51 PM   #188
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
You obviously aren’t interested in what I’m telling you and just veer further and further away from the original erroneous statement you made, so let’s just agree to disagree and spare everyone else in the thread from further posts that are going nowhere.
Touche!

Murf
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 01:04 PM   #189
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:

Murf
Where exactly did you see this again? I am not able to replicate what you are saying when controlling for population (census population, not actual population)
https://www.irs.gov/statistics/soi-t...a-book-table-5
https://www2.census.gov/programs-sur...2019-01.xlsx?#

What I see looks more like this, and "carrying" isn't really what this portrays.

2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded

Last edited by Hawkeye; 04-21-2020 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2020, 01:19 PM   #190
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Where exactly did you see this again? I am not able to replicate what you are saying when controlling for population (census population, not actual population)
https://www.irs.gov/statistics/soi-t...a-book-table-5
https://www2.census.gov/programs-sur...2019-01.xlsx?#

What I see looks more like this, and "carrying" isn't really what this portrays.

please no..
Appreciate 2
Dpc2u11503.00
vreihen1615589.00
      04-21-2020, 01:44 PM   #191
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Small businesses do nothing for the economy? And you don't think small businesses employ millions of people? This has to be the most ridiculous post I have ever read.
You just making up shit and throwing out numbers aren't you? The fuck did you get 10 from and not 9 or 8? Lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 01:52 PM   #192
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
IMO the inheritance tax advocates are just sad, bitter people whom don't want others passing the fruits of their labor down to their children.
I can't imagine why anyone would ever support having an estate tax. The money you'd inherit has already paid its dues and taxes... so why would it need to be taxed again? This is one of the most fucked up taxes I can think of honestly. The government just wants to squeeze every fuckin penny they can out of you while we keep adding trillions of dollars to our deficit. What a joke
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 01:57 PM   #193
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Quote:
IMO the inheritance tax advocates are just sad, bitter people whom don't want others passing the fruits of their labor down to their children.
I can't imagine why anyone would ever support having an estate tax. The money you'd inherit has already paid its dues and taxes... so why would it need to be taxed again? This is one of the most fucked up taxes I can think of honestly. The government just wants to squeeze every fuckin penny they can out of you while we keep adding trillions of dollars to our deficit. What a joke
I'm not advocating here, but I do think it's important to understand the viewpoints of people we may disagree with. The theory here as I understand it is they're not taxing the deceased giving their wealth away; they're taxing the people obtaining said wealth. This syncs right up with the concept that all wealth is the government's and it's just a matter of how much they let you keep. Gross.
      04-21-2020, 02:06 PM   #194
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not advocating here, but I do think it's important to understand the viewpoints of people we may disagree with. The theory here as I understand it is they're not taxing the deceased giving their wealth away; they're taxing the people obtaining said wealth. This syncs right up with the concept that all wealth is the government's and it's just a matter of how much they let you keep. Gross.
I understand the idea behind it but it's just horrible to think how they rationalize it. Just shows that they don't give a fuck about us and want every penny they can get out of you. It's all about the Benjamin's.

At least write it so that if it went to immediate family you can avoid the estate tax.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 02:16 PM   #195
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Well my guess is since I'm pretty sure there is a threshold in the millions for the death tax (could be wrong) people see it as a tax on the rich (because they don't see it ever affecting them directly) and we all know the type of people who would be for such a thing hate rich people. So my guess is it's not so much they like the idea of a death tax, more so they like sticking it to the rich people.

Quote:
I understand the idea behind it but it's just horrible to think how they rationalize it. Just shows that they don't give a fuck about us and want every penny they can get out of you. It's all about the Benjamin's.

At least write it so that if it went to immediate family you can avoid the estate tax.
I mean they do the same with used cars sales. I paid tax on that car already so why the fuck would the next buyer have to pay tax again??? Plus we already pay registration and what not on the stupid thing every year.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 02:44 PM   #196
strohw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 Versys 1000, 20 KTM 690 SMC

Grabbing a base model 2009 Cayman. I've always had motorcycles. I think I'll try a sports car for a season or two. If it's not for me I'll just sell it and grab a couple of motorcycles again.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 03:04 PM   #197
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:

I would rather have a wealth tax and reduce the income tax. Let people live on the money they make, but also make it so the people that are lucky enough to just be related to said person also should work instead of just being a jackoff.

The inheritance tax doesn't even kick in until after something like $22 million right?

I do mean rather. Having tax in every part of our lives and death is ridiculous.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3511.50
      04-21-2020, 03:33 PM   #198
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I would rather have a wealth tax and reduce the income tax. Let people live on the money they make, but also make it so the people that are lucky enough to just be related to said person also should work instead of just being a jackoff.
The inheritance tax doesn't even kick in until after something like $22 million right?
I do mean rather. Having tax in every part of our lives and death is ridiculous.
Singling out the inheritance tax as bad double taxation is ridiculous. Double taxation is all through the system, not unique to the estate tax. Don't they still sales tax feminine hygiene products, but not Rogain?
The kids of the rich who are affected by the estate tax didn't pay a penny of tax on the inherited $$. Then they pay an estate tax.

Murf

Last edited by Littlebear; 04-22-2020 at 05:09 AM..
Appreciate 0