BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

10-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #133
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
who's car weighs the most....or who's plows the best?
Fucking Phenominal!!!!!!!!

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 02:06 PM   #134
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiS5 View Post
The new S4 is far from a boring car. May not be M3 fun, but it sure has come a long way since the B6 and B7 model. I personally think the car is much more capable than the M3 once modding begins, but right out of the box the M3 is definitely a much better car in terms of speed and handling.
I agree that it has come along way...but honestly man....so many vehicles can be more capable once modding begins...
at the end of the day, you are still stuck with a very average looking car that is nose heavy and AWD....yuk!!
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 02:13 PM   #135
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Moderately Quick

Quote:
I agree that it has come along way...but honestly man....so many vehicles can be more capable once modding begins...
at the end of the day, you are still stuck with a very average looking car that is nose heavy and AWD....yuk!!
Have you driven the new S4? I'll agree on the average looks though I still think it looks good. I suggest you take an S4 for a test drive w/ the new rear diff option. The car feels VERY RWD biased compared to it's predecessors and you can definitely have some nice tail drift fun. Of course the M3 is faster out of the box, looks better, sounds better, but Audi is definitely closing the gap. Plus with a nicer interior (subjective) and a 12k difference in price the S4 is definitely a good contender when it comes to value. Oh, and I just did a fastest laps comparison and for the 4 laps that the M3 and S4 share the M3 was never more than 2 seconds in front. I know once we talk about modding its all irrelevant, but it just seems to me that the 4,000 pound S4 handles better. Just imagine if the playing field in terms of horsepower were leveled out....it'd be hard to imagine the M3 could keep pace.

And before anyone calls me a fanboy, I have an e90 ZCP coming in next week that I chose over the new S4.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 02:20 PM   #136
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
The new S4 is far from a boring car. May not be M3 fun, but it sure has come a long way since the B6 and B7 model. I personally think the car is much more capable than the M3 once modding begins, but right out of the box the M3 is definitely a much better car in terms of speed and handling.

AudiS5
Enlisted Member
Drives: Phantom S5

joking aside though, i think you makes good points.

Last edited by graider; 10-28-2010 at 02:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #137
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post

AudiS5
Enlisted Member
Drives: Phantom S5
Surprised you were able to read that, yet you couldn't read the last sentence of my response before.

My M3 will be here next week...which I chose over an S4.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 02:30 PM   #138
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Surprised you were able to read that, yet you couldn't read the last sentence of my response before.

My M3 will be here next week...which I chose over an S4.
You must be fired up. Best of luck with it.

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #139
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
You must be fired up. Best of luck with it.
Yes very much so, thanks bro.

Luckily the GF has a new White S4 which I have the privilege of driving everyday so I get the best of both worlds
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #140
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Have you driven the new S4? I'll agree on the average looks though I still think it looks good. I suggest you take an S4 for a test drive w/ the new rear diff option. The car feels VERY RWD biased compared to it's predecessors and you can definitely have some nice tail drift fun. Of course the M3 is faster out of the box, looks better, sounds better, but Audi is definitely closing the gap. Plus with a nicer interior (subjective) and a 12k difference in price the S4 is definitely a good contender when it comes to value. Oh, and I just did a fastest laps comparison and for the 4 laps that the M3 and S4 share the M3 was never more than 2 seconds in front. I know once we talk about modding its all irrelevant, but it just seems to me that the 4,000 pound S4 handles better. Just imagine if the playing field in terms of horsepower were leveled out....it'd be hard to imagine the M3 could keep pace.

And before anyone calls me a fanboy, I have an e90 ZCP coming in next week that I chose over the new S4.
really?....your a new member....and you call yourself AudiS5???!!!...and your saying you just bought a BMW?.....LOL.....odd!
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #141
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
really?....your a new member....and you call yourself AudiS5???!!!...and your saying you just bought a BMW?.....LOL.....odd!
How am I a new member lol....I joined last November. I don't care if you believe me though my car will be arriving at the Port in NJ tomorrow night on the Dream Diva.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #142
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
How am I a new member lol....I joined last November. I don't care if you believe me though my car will be arriving at the Port in NJ tomorrow night on the Dream Diva.
Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 04:35 PM   #143
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Enjoy!
Thanks man. I find myself getting more and more excited as the days near. Expect some pictures sometime next week (hoping I'll have it by then).
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 02:27 AM   #144
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Quote:
Oh, and I just did a fastest laps comparison and for the 4 laps that the M3 and S4 share the M3 was never more than 2 seconds in front.
Two seconds on race track is an eternity my friend...in 30 laps race the S4 would be 1 minute behind, provided that the S4 would stand for a 30 laps race, which I doubt.
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 09:17 AM   #145
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
Two seconds on race track is an eternity my friend...in 30 laps race the S4 would be 1 minute behind, provided that the S4 would stand for a 30 laps race, which I doubt.
I get that, all I said is if the playing field in terms of horsepower were evened out I wonder how the S4 would fair. As far as the times, the worst was just a pinch over 2 seconds and the others were all below 2 I believe. Granted they were all quick tracks that is to bad for a 4,000 pound AWD car with "only" 330 hp. I doubt it could do 30 laps as well, but I've seen crazier things happen. As stated the M3 is better out of the box.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 09:49 AM   #146
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Why wouldn't the S4 be capable of 30 laps?

We already know why the M3 won't stand up to 30 laps, but I'm in the dark on whatever the S4's lap problem is.

Fill me in, please.

Thanks,

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 10:33 AM   #147
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post

We already know why the M3 won't stand up to 30 laps, but I'm in the dark on whatever the S4's lap problem is.

Fill me in, please.

Thanks,

Bruce
Do you represent a group of people around here? Speak for yourself dude, you represent no one around here.

Of course the S4 would be capable of 30 leisurely laps, but it won't be capable of 30 against the clock laps for the simple reason that the S4 was not built with the track as an objective...you'll probably see engine overheating, brake fading, the things that one will usually see when tracking a car that was not built for track....

whereas the M3 was built so as to be tracked from time to time...read the owner manual, it says there (oh wait, you are not an M3 owner )

a lot of guys around here track their M3's...you tell them why the M3 is not capable of 30 laps, and they will laugh in your face.
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 11:37 AM   #148
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Do you represent a group of people around here? Speak for yourself dude, you represent no one around here.

Of course the S4 would be capable of 30 leisurely laps, but it won't be capable of 30 against the clock laps for the simple reason that the S4 was not built with the track as an objective...you'll probably see engine overheating, brake fading, the things that one will usually see when tracking a car that was not built for track....

whereas the M3 was built so as to be tracked from time to time...read the owner manual, it says there (oh wait, you are not an M3 owner )

a lot of guys around here track their M3's...you tell them why the M3 is not capable of 30 laps, and they will laugh in your face.

well said!
The S4 nose dives around corners....the weight distribution in Audi's are terrible...definately not designed for track racing...a leasure drive thru the country?...sure....not a very versatile car!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 12:25 PM   #149
signalbobby
Rep
Drives: n/a

this thread is still alive? Lol
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #150
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Quote:

Ummm... what kind of track can you bring our M3 with stock brakes to and do 30 laps? Seriously have you even tried it ? The track I like going to is a tad over 2 minutes per lap. 30 laps would be over 1 hour of hard tracking!

I can tell you that when I ran with STOCK brake pads I had brake fade on this track on the 3rd lap. By the 7th lap I almost went straight instead of turning from seriously bad brake fade.

The M3 NEEDS aftermarket pads to do serious lapping. Im pretty sure an S4 with some aftermarket pads should hold out quite well.

Last year at a BMW event an instructor had an S4 in stock form and was doing some serious track times. I was in another instructors car and we couldnt believe the speed on tha back straight.

Next year I plan on getting some track pads for the S4 and I will be able to compare its lap times to my M3 even though its underpowered by almost 150 HP.

Please dont talk about stuff you dont know because stock pads CAN NOT last 30 laps on any serious track I can think of. Most street cars will need track pads to do anwhere near that many laps. Yes the M3 is made to go on the track but lets not get ridiculous because our stock pads are not prepared to handle that work.

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 02:01 PM   #151
graider
Colonel
Rep

i think all cars need track pad to track. name one street car that doesn't need it for 30 laps please. even gt3 rs needs it as evident on 6speedonline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Montreal View Post
Ummm... what kind of track can you bring our M3 with stock brakes to and do 30 laps? Seriously have you even tried it ? The track I like going to is a tad over 2 minutes per lap. 30 laps would be over 1 hour of hard tracking!

I can tell you that when I ran with STOCK brake pads I had brake fade on this track on the 3rd lap. By the 7th lap I almost went straight instead of turning from seriously bad brake fade.

The M3 NEEDS aftermarket pads to do serious lapping. Im pretty sure an S4 with some aftermarket pads should hold out quite well.

Last year at a BMW event an instructor had an S4 in stock form and was doing some serious track times. I was in another instructors car and we couldnt believe the speed on tha back straight.

Next year I plan on getting some track pads for the S4 and I will be able to compare its lap times to my M3 even though its underpowered by almost 150 HP.

Please dont talk about stuff you dont know because stock pads CAN NOT last 30 laps on any serious track I can think of. Most street cars will need track pads to do anwhere near that many laps. Yes the M3 is made to go on the track but lets not get ridiculous because our stock pads are not prepared to handle that work.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 02:04 PM   #152
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post

Fill me in, please.

Thanks,

Bruce
why wouldn't the m3 stand up to 30 laps? i haven't heard one that couldn't.

if you are refer to the pad, then name one street car that can run 30 laps on the track with oem stock pad.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 05:07 PM   #153
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
i think all cars need track pad to track. name one street car that doesn't need it for 30 laps please. even gt3 rs needs it as evident on 6speedonline.
Umm... isn't that what my whole post was about?

That BOTH cars can not do 30 laps out of the box... (OEM)

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 05:35 PM   #154
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Montreal View Post

Where are you getting that the S4 is 150 hp less?
Appreciate 0