BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

05-07-2017, 04:21 PM   #23
zipper228
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmast1 View Post
Yes, but you admitted that your car was/is modded, and I'm going to bet supercharger. So yes, those bearings look prematurely worn, but FI will more than likely cause accelerated bearing wear. Thus, I feel like it was an intelligent and prudent move on your part to do the rod bearings. I threw a National warranty (4yrs, 60k miles from last month) offered through my bmw dealer on mine but my e90 is stock. If mine was supercharged, I would also do bearings.
never supercharged, never tracked. performance mods are gruppe m intake, MS pulley, and a tune. as far as i understand, nothing that should really equate to earlier bearing wear, at least to the extent supercharging would. however i figure it is "un-stock" enough that any 3rd party warranty would be able to wriggle out of any claim, so i didnt go that route.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 05:26 PM   #24
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Yes, but you admitted that your car was/is modded, and I'm going to bet supercharger. So yes, those bearings look prematurely worn, but FI will more than likely cause accelerated bearing wear. Thus, I feel like it was an intelligent and prudent move on your part to do the rod bearings. I threw a National warranty (4yrs, 60k miles from last month) offered through my bmw dealer on mine but my e90 is stock. If mine was supercharged, I would also do bearings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper228 View Post
never supercharged, never tracked. performance mods are gruppe m intake, MS pulley, and a tune. as far as i understand, nothing that should really equate to earlier bearing wear, at least to the extent supercharging would. however i figure it is "un-stock" enough that any 3rd party warranty would be able to wriggle out of any claim, so i didnt go that route.
srmast1, looks like you lost that bet

OP, glad you got that done. As for the engine mounts, yeah, when you're doing the RBs, the mounts are pretty much right there anyway. My shop didn't even charge me for labor for changing them, just for the parts.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 03:18 AM   #25
srmast1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 6mt AW m2

Garage List
2008 Audi A4  [0.00]
2019 Acura MDX SH-AWD  [0.00]
2011 e90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper228 View Post
I lost that bet and am man enough to admit it Zipper, I wonder if it's just those pulleys holding you back from an aftermarket warranty? Unless your tune raised rev limit or top speed of course. But I still think it was a good idea to do the bearings..for sure. So, are you gonna hit it with an exhaust and supercharge it now that the bearings are done? I just can't do these things, I have to live vicariously through others..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 09:25 AM   #26
zipper228
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I lost that bet and am man enough to admit it Zipper, I wonder if it's just those pulleys holding you back from an aftermarket warranty? Unless your tune raised rev limit or top speed of course. But I still think it was a good idea to do the bearings..for sure. So, are you gonna hit it with an exhaust and supercharge it now that the bearings are done? I just can't do these things, I have to live vicariously through others..
Axel back exhaust is already in place (Arqray), but no plans to supercharge. Can't justify the cost for my purposes and my understanding is that it may be a b!tch to have in CA, considering i cant do the install/uninstall myself.
My reasoning on the warranty: my sense is that the 3rd party companies are difficult enough to deal with when trying to get claims paid (read stories about claims being denied from anything to oil change intervals to overreving). I know they will gladly sell me one and then later try to find anyway possible to not pay the claim. The fact that it already has some mods will just give them more ammunition and I didnt want to take a 3-5k gamble buying insurance that may not really give me any coverage. If the car had been stock, or I was the only owner, or I could do more work on it myself, I would've gone with a warranty. Getting the bearings done was my next best option
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 03:01 PM   #27
PortoM3
M3lover
Germany
Rep
Drives: SSII M3

congrats. love the color and the hood. You have to get rid of that front plate.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 03:25 PM   #28
zipper228
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoM3 View Post
congrats. love the color and the hood. You have to get rid of that front plate.
haha thanks man. i hate the plate too, it didnt have one when i bought it but since its required in CA, i was paranoid about having it on there. didnt want to give anyone another reason to stop me if im out one night
Appreciate 0