BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

08-18-2008, 10:31 AM   #23
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerjoy View Post
Will 17" fit over the rotors?
No.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 01:27 PM   #24
mightyaa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I had the opportunity to hit some slush over the weekend in WinterPark Colorado with my E90 M3 as I came over the mountain (berthod pass). It did just fine, though I'll be getting dedicated winter tires soon. A little slipping around, but the traction control worked wonderfully. There wasn't enough slush to really judge it by since the tires sort of just pushed it out of the way.

Oddly enough, I was really impressed with the rain-sensing wipers.. Once on, I never had to touch it again and the driving went from a drizzling rain and traffic slop to blizzard conditions at speeds ranging from 15mph switchbacks to 90mph passing streaks..

btw, ran across a Saab Turbo-X test where they put it head to head against a Subaru WRX STi, M3, 335xi, and a Audi A4 3.2 Quattro on a dry and wet track. M3 won both dry and wet regardless of rwd versus the rest having awd. Driver was Jan Magnussen (25 Formula 1 starts, and triple Le Mans 24 hours wins for Corvette Racing) instead of some reporter or pr person.

http://jalopnik.com/380099/2008-saab...es-and-audi-a4
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 05:08 PM   #25
IWearScrubs
Doctor Awesome!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Sedan 6MT Jerez and Fox Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
I just spent the last two winters just west of Minneapolis (Monticello).

I'd talk to the dealership about running different oil if you're going to drive year-round in Minneapolis. Unless you have heated garages at home and work, your oil will turn to sludge. With my e46, if I left the car outside for more than an hour or two in single digit weather, the motor would make all kinds of terrible sounds on start-up. I don't think the VANOS likes having that thick goop pumped into it.

But other than the temperature, I don't see any problem driving the M3 year round in Minnesota. Heck, its dry and sunny most of the winter anyway. You can drive her pretty hard without worry. I recommend the Michelin PA2 or PA3. They are great in super cold climate. I don't think they are as good in the snow as some other tires, but the ride and handling are superior for the cold, dry Minnesota winter.
Good info to know, thanks.

Why were you in Monticello? I can think of only one thing there and it is a nuke plant? Given your SN I am guessing that is why?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 08:44 PM   #26
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWearScrubs View Post
Good info to know, thanks.

Why were you in Monticello? I can think of only one thing there and it is a nuke plant? Given your SN I am guessing that is why?
Yup.
Give the man a See-garrrr.

Spent 18 months there preparing a Nuclear Regulatory Commission request to uprate the plant to 120 percent of original power. Something north of 2.5 million horsepower. And that's a little nuke. The one I'm working on now will be pushing 5 million horsepower.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 08:55 PM   #27
IWearScrubs
Doctor Awesome!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Sedan 6MT Jerez and Fox Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
Yup.
Give the man a See-garrrr.

Spent 18 months there preparing a Nuclear Regulatory Commission request to uprate the plant to 120 percent of original power. Something north of 2.5 million horsepower. And that's a little nuke. The one I'm working on now will be pushing 5 million horsepower.
That's a lot of power. How did you get into this field, if you don't mind me asking. I am very interested and curious.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 09:09 AM   #28
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWearScrubs View Post
That's a lot of power. How did you get into this field, if you don't mind me asking. I am very interested and curious.
Interned with GE Nuclear Energy in San Jose back in 1989 before my last year in college. Was planning to become a mining engineer. They told me to call them when I got out of school.

They gave me 18 months of on-the-job training in power plant maintenance and project management. Then sent me all over the world to solve problems for electric utilities with nukes.

"It don't work cuz it's broke." I had to figure out why it was "broke" and then how to fix it. A million dollars per day in lost revenue while they were down (rule of thumb). It was high pressure, high intensity work that was very satisfying. Now I mainly do some consulting and engineering work. Quite boring.

There are tremendous oportunities in the field (nuclear power) since the workforce has been decreasing for over twenty years and the remaining experienced workforce is readying for retirement. All this at a time when new plants are getting ready to start construction.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0