BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

07-06-2011, 11:30 PM   #1
sawzall
Major

Drives: A Car

Garage List
2012 911S  [5.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
Comparing RIM to an M3

A week ago, an internal email from a RIM employee was leaked, which was a pretty interesting read. Looks like there might be a few M3 drivers at RIM based on the writer's analogy for RIM's development tools:

"There is no polite way to say this, but it’s true — BlackBerry smartphone apps suck. Even PlayBook, with all its glorious power, looks like a Fisher Price toy with its Adobe AIR/Flash apps. Developing for BlackBerry is painful. Our SDK / development platform is like a rundown 1990′s Ford Explorer. Then there’s Apple, which has a shiny new BMW M3… just such a pleasure to drive. Developers want and need quality tools. If we create great tools, we will see great work. Offer shit tools and we shouldn’t be surprised when we see shit apps.” (Full letter here: http://www.bgr.com/2011/06/30/open-l...nius+Report%29)

So the real question is, who from M3Post wrote this letter!?

Last edited by sawzall; 07-07-2011 at 12:01 AM.
sawzall is offline   Canada
      07-07-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
shagkie
Captain

Drives: a....V8

If RIM wants to survive they should switch to Android instead of using a proprietary OS that nobody wants to develop apps for. The guy writing the letter is right because nobody wants to develop on a shitty SDK. Even if they manage to make a really user friendly SDK people might still not develop for it because there's no market for it. It's a vicious cycle really, no apps ==> nobody wants your device, nobody wants your device ==> nobody wants to develop apps for the device
It's funny that some guy told me that the Playbook came out into market without even a working email program, what the hell were they thinking. Right now Apple have the lead in the smartphone market (cool looking device, good quality apps, better SDK) but Android is catching up rapidly. The Android apps right now are crap but good thing about it is that the SDK is FREE and you can load the app onto your phone right away to try. Sooner or later the cheap/crappy Android developers will get enough experience too develop better apps and Apple will have a fight on their hands

So RIM need to wake up and smell the coffee. I still don't know why Blackberry were so popular. Using the Blackberry is like playing MUDD while using a smartphone is like playing UO/EQ/WoW.
      07-07-2011, 08:24 AM   #3
Gearhead999s
Major General

Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagkie View Post
If RIM wants to survive they should switch to Android instead of using a proprietary OS that nobody wants to develop apps for. The guy writing the letter is right because nobody wants to develop on a shitty SDK. Even if they manage to make a really user friendly SDK people might still not develop for it because there's no market for it. It's a vicious cycle really, no apps ==> nobody wants your device, nobody wants your device ==> nobody wants to develop apps for the device
It's funny that some guy told me that the Playbook came out into market without even a working email program, what the hell were they thinking. Right now Apple have the lead in the smartphone market (cool looking device, good quality apps, better SDK) but Android is catching up rapidly. The Android apps right now are crap but good thing about it is that the SDK is FREE and you can load the app onto your phone right away to try. Sooner or later the cheap/crappy Android developers will get enough experience too develop better apps and Apple will have a fight on their hands

So RIM need to wake up and smell the coffee. I still don't know why Blackberry were so popular. Using the Blackberry is like playing MUDD while using a smartphone is like playing UO/EQ/WoW.
The Blackberry's are still better for business & mail and I use BBM a lot so an I Phone is not an option for myself yet.The i phone is a lot better for other apps for sure.
      07-07-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
Kyoshi71
Colonel

Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Chart Blows Too

Look at this ski slope to hell...
Attached Images

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
      07-07-2011, 08:38 AM   #5
Gearhead999s
Major General

Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
Look at this ski slope to hell...
They are sure becoming a good takeover target.Microsoft?
      07-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #6
sawzall
Major

Drives: A Car

Garage List
2012 911S  [5.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
They are sure becoming a good takeover target.Microsoft?
I personally think they're the perfect target for Cisco. Now that RIM has access to all those Nortel LTE patents, it would make Cisco a serious contender in the wireless infrastructure space. It also provides them with the missing piece in their business communications/VOIP strategy.

Microsoft has its head to far up its ass. They always try to go it alone (e.g. Zune, Azure, Windows Tablet), and try to build products that just work in their ecosystem. IMHO, they're an 'also ran' in the mobile space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagkie
If RIM wants to survive they should switch to Android instead of using a proprietary OS that nobody wants to develop apps for. The guy writing the letter is right because nobody wants to develop on a shitty SDK.
I actually believe QNX is the right play for RIM. QNX is used as a real-time OS in a ton of devices, including many cars. Moreover, it avoids many of the patent issues that Android has. In any case, the OS really doesn't matter. It's sex appeal. IMHO, they've got to make the UI of the BB sexier and stop all of the skinning fragmentation. Once people believe the BB is sexy again, the developers will come flocking. I say this because developing in Objective C using XCode on the Mac for the iPhone is no picnic.
sawzall is offline   Canada
      07-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
airwave808
First Lieutenant

Drives: MCB E92

I work for RIM and yes there are a few M3 and M5s. I am not sure why they get blasted from media, people at every juncture. Apple had a security breach but no one is talking about. At the end of the day, if people love or like something, they learn to overlook the shortcomings. iphone is a great product and user friendly no question about it but it is definitely on a benchmark like what M3 is to sports coupe.
Before joining RIM last year, I hadn't even used a Blackberry!

Also, don;t hold your breath on a takeover. Companies are scrambling for cash these days and Cisco would need to add more debt in order to acquire. Is RIM going through a difficult period? Yes. Is it going to go the way of Palm? Highly unlikely, considering the amount of cash they have.

Last edited by airwave808; 07-07-2011 at 10:23 AM. Reason: change
airwave808 is offline   Canada
      07-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #8
Vise
Captain

Drives: C63 AMG Sedan

Garage List
2011.75 E90 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave808 View Post
Is RIM going through a difficult period? Yes. Is it going to go the way of Palm? Highly unlikely, considering the amount of cash they have.
Maybe that's the view inside, unfortunately the external view in many places has RIM being the next Nortel. We'll see I guess, if they don't kill it in the next 6-12 months with new products I think they are in big trouble. I work for one of the largest IT companies in the world and we have recently enabled email/calendar access on both Android and iOS; the same is happening elsewhere I'm sure and that is nothing but bad news for RIM given the dependence their enterprise base.
Vise is offline   Canada