BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BPM Sport

06-30-2011, 12:26 PM   #23
elp_jc
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
Right, because you looked at it in winter and determined that the company based out of Bavaria is putting oil in their cars that is detrimental in the winter.
I have you ignored for a reason (saw this before logging in), but no, fanboy. No other car in the planet calls for 10/60 year round; look around. And no again: the S65 is not any better or different than Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Porsches, etc. And all of those call for 5/40 (or 0/40) year round. Only Lamborghini calls for 10/60 for TRACKING conditions. It doesn't flow as good when cold. And since people like you don't believe in common sense, just get a bottle of 10/60 and 5/40 and pour them on a cup at 32F and see the difference for yourself; 10/60 takes longer to lubricate the engine properly than 5/40 or 0/40. It's a fact, whether you like it or not. Using that oil when not even driving the car hard (especially in winter) is just crazy, but as I said, I'll continue to use it under warranty. Have a nice life.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 03:14 PM   #24
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
I have you ignored for a reason (saw this before logging in), but no, fanboy. No other car in the planet calls for 10/60 year round; look around. And no again: the S65 is not any better or different than Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Porsches, etc. And all of those call for 5/40 (or 0/40) year round. Only Lamborghini calls for 10/60 for TRACKING conditions. It doesn't flow as good when cold. And since people like you don't believe in common sense, just get a bottle of 10/60 and 5/40 and pour them on a cup at 32F and see the difference for yourself; 10/60 takes longer to lubricate the engine properly than 5/40 or 0/40. It's a fact, whether you like it or not. Using that oil when not even driving the car hard (especially in winter) is just crazy, but as I said, I'll continue to use it under warranty. Have a nice life.
We don't have winters here so I'm good

Plus, if it's too raining or cold, I wouldn't even take the M3 out. Camry FTW lol
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 04:40 PM   #25
elp_jc
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
We don't have winters here so I'm good
I used to say the same man, but not anymore . It's been 108F most of this week, but only a few months back we saw -24F several days. Talk about extremes . And yes, I use my M3 when its cold... as long as it's dry. But the good news is I only have to start the engine really cold once every 800-mile round trip, so not a huge deal. But I know the engine is wearing out more than all other cars every time I start the engine cold in winter, but don't use the car that much, so no biggie. But after warranty is out, will use the same oil I put on the F430 (5/40). Take care.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 04:54 PM   #26
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Fanboy? Hahahaha. Ok, because I think BMW wants their engines to last and believe that they have millions of dollars and thousands of people involved in testing? Ok, guess I'm a fanboy.

IT'S CRAZY EVERYONE - GET THAT OIL OUT! YOU'RE CRAZY TO RUN IT IN THE WINTER!

LOL.

Yah I know, you hate facts that refute your ridiculous theories. I like the one about no oil condition sensor in the engine. All time classic.

Look, I really don't care about you at all, or your opinion. I just want everyone else to see that you are full of it. Which is obvious to anyone following along at home.

Make sure you send BMW a letter about your high-tech garage pour test and how it refutes the extensive testing they do in extreme conditions - tundra to desert.
Appreciate 0