BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Evolve Automotive
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
e92MMM
Private First Class
 
e92MMM's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 m3 frozen
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: boston

Posts: 100
iTrader: (1)

break in period/new exhaust

What are peoples thoughts on throwing a new exhaust on before the 1200 mile service? Does it make a difference or should i wait until after break in. Thanks
__________________
Fozen black zcp -Eisenmann-challenge-HRE
e92MMM is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
FVM3
Major General
 
FVM3's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 5,710
iTrader: (2)

i got my new exhaust on the first day, based on do you want the noise
FVM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
zamm3k
Bla!
 
zamm3k's Avatar
 
Drives: JB E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 831
iTrader: (4)

I lowered my car, threw in an axle back, and wheels all before the 1200 mile service... LOL
__________________
:.-. KW .-. RPi .-. SUPERSPRINT .-. MACHT SCHNELL .-. VOSSEN .-. VREDESTEIN .-.:

zamm3k is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
e92MMM
Private First Class
 
e92MMM's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 m3 frozen
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: boston

Posts: 100
iTrader: (1)

ya im gonna put it on i dont feel like waiting and i feel like im driving a hybrid with the stock pipes.
__________________
Fozen black zcp -Eisenmann-challenge-HRE
e92MMM is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
FVM3
Major General
 
FVM3's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 5,710
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92MMM View Post
ya im gonna put it on i dont feel like waiting and i feel like im driving a hybrid with the stock pipes.
What are you planning to get
FVM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-27-2011, 03:18 PM   #6
Seattle S65B40
Major
 
Seattle S65B40's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 e92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: PNW

Posts: 1,396
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92MMM View Post
ya im gonna put it on i dont feel like waiting and i feel like im driving a hybrid with the stock pipes.
Agreed. This car is way too quite from the factory. Am i the only one that misses E46 M3 Rasp? haha
__________________

Club 6MT
2008 E92 M3 6MT, AW/Blk Ext., brushed aluminum
2006 E46 M3 ZCP 6MT Carbon blk/blk(sold)
2001 E46 325Xi 5MT Jet Blk/Blk (sold)
Seattle S65B40 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
FVM3
Major General
 
FVM3's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 5,710
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle S65B40 View Post
Agreed. This car is way too quite from the factory. Am i the only one that misses E46 M3 Rasp? haha
We are on the same boat but there was once i spot a e93 m3 with stock exhaust and i was able to hear the exhaust even though the car was going way far.
FVM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-27-2011, 03:39 PM   #8
persian54
Lieutenant General
 
persian54's Avatar
 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

Posts: 15,742
iTrader: (289)

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherchenm View Post
We are on the same boat but there was once i spot a e93 m3 with stock exhaust and i was able to hear the exhaust even though the car was going way far.
prly had an xpipe

i have the oem rear but a hfc xpipe

it makes it a little raspy and raw and i love it :P

and louder on WOT, but subtle cruising
persian54 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #9
FVM3
Major General
 
FVM3's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 5,710
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
prly had an xpipe

i have the oem rear but a hfc xpipe

it makes it a little raspy and raw and i love it :P

and louder on WOT, but subtle cruising
drone?
FVM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-27-2011, 04:07 PM   #10
persian54
Lieutenant General
 
persian54's Avatar
 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

Posts: 15,742
iTrader: (289)

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherchenm View Post
drone?
Nope.

You can hear that i have an xpipe if I'm cruising at 76mph, but can't if I'm at 75 or 77.
Strange, I don't know why 76 is special lol


it's also not super loud on cold start up either, which is something I'm happy about. last thing I want is to wake my family up in the morning...
persian54 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-27-2011, 04:17 PM   #11
Krozi
Deutsche Jung aus Kölle
 
Krozi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFla - Bonita Springs

Posts: 2,702
iTrader: (21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamm3k View Post
I lowered my car, threw in an axle back, and wheels all before the 1200 mile service... LOL
Fight the power.
__________________

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Krozi is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      06-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #12
FVM3
Major General
 
FVM3's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 5,710
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Nope.

You can hear that i have an xpipe if I'm cruising at 76mph, but can't if I'm at 75 or 77.
Strange, I don't know why 76 is special lol


it's also not super loud on cold start up either, which is something I'm happy about. last thing I want is to wake my family up in the morning...
from what i saw on youtube, stock muffler with x pipe sounds pretty raspy, something like e46 m3. I would rather go for deeper sound
FVM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #13
e92MMM
Private First Class
 
e92MMM's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 m3 frozen
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: boston

Posts: 100
iTrader: (1)

I have an Eisenmann Race black series ready to go on!
__________________
Fozen black zcp -Eisenmann-challenge-HRE
e92MMM is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #14
FVM3
Major General
 
FVM3's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 5,710
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92MMM View Post
I have an Eisenmann Race black series ready to go on!
Get ready for drone
FVM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #15
geneatals
Ninja
 
geneatals's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: So Cal (SFV)

Posts: 3,199
iTrader: (2)

exhaust is fine...only thing I'd hold off on doing pre 1200 miles is an ecu flash...but then again. I've seen some M3's with SC's pre 1200 miles
__________________
2011.5 E90 M3 AW l Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL l Pics/Mods
Retired: 2008 535i l AW l Black Dakota Leather l Bamboo Anthracite l ZPP l ZSP l 6FL
geneatals is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      06-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #16
persian54
Lieutenant General
 
persian54's Avatar
 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

Posts: 15,742
iTrader: (289)

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherchenm View Post
from what i saw on youtube, stock muffler with x pipe sounds pretty raspy, something like e46 m3. I would rather go for deeper sound
Yeah it definitely has rasp, that's one of the first things I said lol

I like the raw-ness of it.

if I ever get bored, I'll just add a AA rear section and get the deeper sound :P

This way, I can get 3 different sounds..........stock for a few months...now stock and xpipe...then full system. :P
persian54 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #17
FVM3
Major General
 
FVM3's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 5,710
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Yeah it definitely has rasp, that's one of the first things I said lol

I like the raw-ness of it.

if I ever get bored, I'll just add a AA rear section and get the deeper sound :P

This way, I can get 3 different sounds..........stock for a few months...now stock and xpipe...then full system. :P
the only problem is drone happens on most of the after market exhaust , which may distract some guys
FVM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-27-2011, 05:38 PM   #18
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
 
PhillyNate's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Toyota GT-86
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia

Posts: 1,995
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle S65B40 View Post
Agreed. This car is way too quite from the factory. Am i the only one that misses E46 M3 Rasp? haha
Could the stock M3 be louder, YES. However a few days after delivery I pull into the garage and my wife says "you ain't sneakin' up on nobody with that car!". That's after trading in my 2008 328i with a BMW Performance Exhaust. She never made that comment with that car.
The M3 probably should at least come with the M Performance Exhaust standard but I'm ok for now with the exhaust note.
__________________

"what I'm driving here...is an ending." Jeremy Clarkson
2014 Whiteout Toyota GT86 6mt(Presently enjoying WAY more than anticipated)
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
PhillyNate is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-27-2011, 05:47 PM   #19
FVM3
Major General
 
FVM3's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 5,710
iTrader: (2)

if the stock exhaust is too aggressive, people will complain that its too noisy in cabin
FVM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-27-2011, 05:52 PM   #20
Seattle S65B40
Major
 
Seattle S65B40's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 e92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: PNW

Posts: 1,396
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate View Post
Could the stock M3 be louder, YES. However a few days after delivery I pull into the garage and my wife says "you ain't sneakin' up on nobody with that car!". That's after trading in my 2008 328i with a BMW Performance Exhaust. She never made that comment with that car.
The M3 probably should at least come with the M Performance Exhaust standard but I'm ok for now with the exhaust note.
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherchenm View Post
if the stock exhaust is too aggressive, people will complain that its too noisy in cabin
Love the sig pic PhillyNate. Dream line up right there...

Yes, you are both right, for the average M3 purchaser, the exhaust is perfect from the factory. Not too loud, not too quiet. However, for the average S65 enthusiast, and other people who like to hear it scream, a little louder is better. So far, the hardest thing for me in deciding exhausts is finding the one that best reflects the true sound of the engine without ruining that sound...
__________________

Club 6MT
2008 E92 M3 6MT, AW/Blk Ext., brushed aluminum
2006 E46 M3 ZCP 6MT Carbon blk/blk(sold)
2001 E46 325Xi 5MT Jet Blk/Blk (sold)

Last edited by Seattle S65B40; 06-27-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Seattle S65B40 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #21
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
 
PhillyNate's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Toyota GT-86
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia

Posts: 1,995
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I tell you what. I don't ever want any exhaust that drowns out that absolutely wonderfully perfect engine note.
__________________

"what I'm driving here...is an ending." Jeremy Clarkson
2014 Whiteout Toyota GT86 6mt(Presently enjoying WAY more than anticipated)
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
PhillyNate is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-27-2011, 06:41 PM   #22
e92MMM
Private First Class
 
e92MMM's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 m3 frozen
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: boston

Posts: 100
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherchenm View Post
Get ready for drone
i was running a remus race on my last m3 so im not to worried about the drone bothering me. i hope the eisenmann race is deeper and louder than the remus race
__________________
Fozen black zcp -Eisenmann-challenge-HRE
e92MMM is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST