BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

ESS Tuning

06-02-2011, 04:16 PM   #23
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard

Drives: 01 740i sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
You don't even understand the bogus data you posted. BTW you don't need to spend $6,000/day for bad data, it's all over the internet.

If you want accurate engine dyno data as produced by car makers, then you must pay for it. Being technically ignorant and in denial is not going to change reality. You're free to believe whatever makes you happy even if it's untrue.

As I said, I can try to help you learn but I can't force you to understand.

Try to take your own advice buddy. Because with out credentials or data to back up your theories you have posted so far, i might as well shoot my self if i cont to listen to anything you say.

Thanks.
KGB7 is offline   United_States
      06-02-2011, 04:42 PM   #24
FStop7
I like cars

Drives: M6

06-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #25
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard

Drives: 01 740i sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
I've explained to you how and why and I have first hand experience dyno testing air filters. You aren't even able to understand the bad dyno data that you posted... or the information I explained to you but you want to argue your baseless beliefs.

You can believe whatever makes you happy. That however doesn't make your beliefs true as numerous folks found out on May 22nd when the world did not end.

http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/

Hating the messenger does not change reality. I can help those who want technical knowledge but I can't help those who are in denial - no one can.

No you didnt explain how and why you have first hand experience dyno testing air filters.

And if you have first hand experience dyno testing air filters, then you would have access to data.
KGB7 is offline   United_States
      06-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #26
kitw
Colonel

Drives: 2013 C4S cab/2011 E90 M3

BTW, you missed a couple pieces of trade offs that auto manufacturers need to make:

- noise
- emissions

It's sometimes true that you can pick up some power if you are willing to sacrifice one or more of those parameters (along with the ones you mentioned, engine longevity and gas mileage). It's definitely not an easy science, especially not like most tuners make it out to be. But, a small trade off in additional wear is worth it, at least to me, to pick up some pretty substantial power gains. (without primary cats, in my track configuration for my car, I pick up 35rwhp.)

This surely makes my muffler, my secondary cats, my resonators, etc wear more... probably puts more stress on my bearings, rings, valve guides, timing chain, etc etc etc. That said, is trading a small amount of their useful life for additional power worth it? when the life of most engine components is 200k miles, I'm willing to trade some of that for increased performance.

How much of that? Really depends. An air filter that allows more crap into the motor is going to have a much greater affect than a cat delete increasing exhaust scavenging and ultimately the VE of the motor. A reflash that increases timing a little bit and compensates for increased VE will increase a bit too, but again, less than filling your motor with sand.
      06-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #27
saeedg48
Brigadier General

Drives: 12 CLS63 + 14 M6 C

what about a tune?

2008 M3 Sedan + TestPipes + Tune [sold]

2012 CLS63 AMG + P30 Performance Package
2014 M6 Coupe + AMS Downpipes + KW V3
saeedg48 is offline   Iran
      06-26-2011, 12:47 PM   #28
FStop7
I like cars

Drives: M6

Someone should email Porsche a link to this thread.

Check out the OEM filters in the GT3RS 4.0
Attached Images