BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
PYSPEED
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-15-2011, 03:22 PM   #23
UNO///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
4

 
UNO///M's Avatar
 
Drives: AW BMW 1M
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Orlando,FL


Posts: 240
iTrader: (0)

Did you notice they use a M3 with DCT, how about a manual M3 . And I don't think a car made by M is a knock off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_SID View Post
All of the emotions that they expressed over the M3 is the exact reason why I drive one and not a 1M or a C63 or an S5. The M3 is just special. It history and driving characteristics are just legendary. To me, all the other competitors are just "knock offs". Some of them are VERY good knock offs but they will never be the real thing. All of those other cars use the M3 as the benchmark that they are trying to beat because it is the best.
__________________
AW BMW 1M, N55 mid pipe, Lightweight titanausphalangen CF front splitter, Bmw Performance CF rear spoliler, LUX AE, IND goodies...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 03:24 PM   #24
Malek@MRF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
58


 
Malek@MRF's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3, E46 M3, F30, E30
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Irvine, California


Posts: 3,394
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to Malek@MRF
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3This View Post
I agree ... I want to see an actual track comparison with skilled drivers, not this bullshit bantering back and forth. To me that video was worthless.
Are you implying the 1M will beat the M3 at the track?
__________________

BMW PERFORMANCE SPECIALISTS. Suspension. Forced Induction. Brakes. Race Preparation. Service. Alignments.
OFFICIAL PARTNERS: Íhlins. KW Suspension. Brembo. AP Racing. ESS Tuning. iND Distribution. Turner Motorsport.
Facebook | Instagram | Yelp! | Flikr | Contact | YouTube
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 03:25 PM   #25
stefan
Colonel
Canada
27

 
stefan's Avatar
 
Drives: E92M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Calgary


Posts: 2,145
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
1999 VF BMW M3  [5.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 135i  [5.00]
2003 M3  [3.10]
2011.75 BMW M3  [4.17]
2009 STi  [3.83]
As usual, the M3 takes it on the intangible factors. This will always be the case for an M car.. there's cars that are just as good or better buys.. but they aren't special.

--
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3This View Post
I agree ... I want to see an actual track comparison with skilled drivers, not this bullshit bantering back and forth. To me that video was worthless.
Why? We all know the 1M is quick. In the right hands it might be quick around tighter circuits.. but still, I ask why you care? Are you setting out to buy the fastest vehicle available for the dollar or do you want to drive a legend?

And E92_SID; just read your poster after I made mine. Scary how similar we described the M3. Are we brainwashed???
__________________
///M Power - 2011.75 LMB M3 6MT (fuelly)
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #26
elp_jc
Brigadier General
United_States
79

 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .


Posts: 4,910
iTrader: (0)

It'd have been crazy if the 1M was better, just because of the sheer price differential alone, but it's significantly cheaper for about the same performance, although apparently how that performance is delivered makes a big difference as well. A good alternative vs the Mustang GTs of the world, I guess. And apparently, both manuals, the 1M should be quicker. I just wouldn't get passed its ugly looks, plus it's going to be much more spartan than the already semi-spartan M3. At least with all options, my M3 offers enough creature comforts that I'm not yearning for more. Long live the NA high-revving V8 .
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #27
eisenb11
Major
United_States
17

 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Redondo Beach, CA, USA


Posts: 1,122
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_me View Post
If 1M had the same engine as M3 then 1M would be the better sportscar, thats the conclusion you can read between the lines.
And while we're in make believe land, if the 1M had a Ferrari 599 engine, it too would be the better car!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #28
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
37

 
James T. Kirk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Alpha Quadrant, Sector 001


Posts: 1,425
iTrader: (0)

Great comparison. The order of superiority seems to be in step with the cost.
But that doesn't mean that the new M5 is better than the M3.

So what is this saying?... M3 rules all?
__________________

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #29
Denso
Captain
18

 
Denso's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gods Country Scotland


Posts: 820
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_SID View Post
All of the emotions that they expressed over the M3 is the exact reason why I drive one and not a 1M or a C63 or an S5. The M3 is just special. It history and driving characteristics are just legendary. To me, all the other competitors are just "knock offs". Some of them are VERY good knock offs but they will never be the real thing. All of those other cars use the M3 as the benchmark that they are trying to beat because it is the best.
The 1M is not a knock off M3, its an attempt by BMW M to get back to basics. Both cars 1M & M3 should be applauded as the benchmark in there class. I am lost with the rivalry between cars from the same stable (BMW M) surely we are all BMW M fans at the end of the day, lets just get out on the road and enjoy the cars we are lucky enough to own
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 03:34 PM   #30
checkmate
Major
United_States
25

 
checkmate's Avatar
 
Drives: AW M3 E90
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bel Air, MD


Posts: 1,325
iTrader: (2)

This should make all the E9X M3 owners sleep better at night..
__________________
2011 Alpine White/Fox Red E90 M3. Sunroof Delete/DCT/No power seats/Square Apex ARC8s+ PSS /ACM Exhaust Mod+ EAS Tips

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #31
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
81

 
Kiemyster's Avatar
 
Drives: E90x4 (M3, 335xi, 325xi,320i)
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Queens/NYC


Posts: 3,132
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ryan- View Post
i was being sarcastic. I was actually hoping they would crash into each other and be paralyzed for life. Their next video would be them comparing breath controlled wheel chairs.
glad to see we are in the same boat
__________________
"AMG What! S-Line Who? If you ain't got that M I got no respect for you!"
'06 Alpine Weiss E90 320i | '06 The Green Machine E90 325xi | '11 Alpine Weiss E90 M3 ZCP | '10 Silverstone X5M | '11 Alpine Weiss E90 335xi
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #32
duk
///M
United_States
42

 
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Jose, CA


Posts: 2,964
iTrader: (0)

who cares? both are great but M3 is more special to me that's all that matters
__________________
2011 AW/FR 6MT E92 | Powered by Premier | Alekshop | ESS |
Rok n Peace Clothing: www.roknpeace.com

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #33
ferrari6891
the original brown guy
United_States
11

 
ferrari6891's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 M3, 11 E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: tenafly, nj/ boston, ma


Posts: 973
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2011.75 E90 M3  [3.83]
when did jonah hill start reviewing cars?
__________________
2011 E90 ///M3 AW/FR
ACM Exhaust with CF tips, CF splitters, CF mirror caps, OEM Performance CF trunk Spoiler, gloss black side markers and hood vents, AW painted reflectors, matte black kidney grills, OSS-ACM Headlights, ZCP/GTS matte black wheels
Future: tints, RD sport springs, turner test pipes, CF roof vinyl
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #34
F82_SID
Brigadier General
63

 
F82_SID's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 MR/BB E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver, CO. USA


Posts: 3,129
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojaito View Post
Did you notice they use a M3 with DCT, how about a manual M3 . And I don't think a car made by M is a knock off.
I would have to disagree. I love BMW and especially BMW M but I am not going to automatically believe in anything they throw out there just because it has the M badge.

I will agree that the 1M has its place in the BMW line up for a particular consumer however, what I am trying to say is just that the M3 represents the epitome of BMW M and the #1 recognizable trademark car for BMW. If you tell people that you drive an M3, more people are going to recognize what that is then if you tell them you drive a 1M or a C63 or an S5.

I did notice that they opted for a DCT M3. I guess that is because it was another difference to be discussed as well as a favorite feature/gimmick on the M3. It would have been cool to see them compare the 6mt vs the 6mt. I wonder what they would have said about those differences.

The one really cool thing that I like about the 1M is the fact that it is only available in 6MT. Someone name any other car that like that? I think it is cool that BMW attempted to make a car that is for driving purest and thats it!
__________________
2011/E92/M3/MR/BB/ZCV/ZP2/EDC/2MT
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #35
F82_SID
Brigadier General
63

 
F82_SID's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 MR/BB E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver, CO. USA


Posts: 3,129
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denso View Post
The 1M is not a knock off M3, its an attempt by BMW M to get back to basics. Both cars 1M & M3 should be applauded as the benchmark in there class. I am lost with the rivalry between cars from the same stable (BMW M) surely we are all BMW M fans at the end of the day, lets just get out on the road and enjoy the cars we are lucky enough to own
I agree and I too applaud both cars. I give credit to the 1M for even being able to be compared against the M3.

The M3 is the veteran combat experienced solider and the 1M is the new private trying to be Rambo. Its going to take allot to beat the veteran and it will probably happen some day but not today.
__________________
2011/E92/M3/MR/BB/ZCV/ZP2/EDC/2MT
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #36
Cyrax91
Eat Sleep Rave Repeat
Greece
39

 
Cyrax91's Avatar
 
Drives: WRX STI & FP Green DBB WW Evo
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NM


Posts: 1,553
iTrader: (17)

Cars with only manual... Past or present? Evo ix's and down. Z4Ms. Im sure there are plenty more.


Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_SID View Post
I would have to disagree. I love BMW and especially BMW M but I am not going to automatically believe in anything they throw out there just because it has the M badge.

I will agree that the 1M has its place in the BMW line up for a particular consumer however, what I am trying to say is just that the M3 represents the epitome of BMW M and the #1 recognizable trademark car for BMW. If you tell people that you drive an M3, more people are going to recognize what that is then if you tell them you drive a 1M or a C63 or an S5.

I did notice that they opted for a DCT M3. I guess that is because it was another difference to be discussed as well as a favorite feature/gimmick on the M3. It would have been cool to see them compare the 6mt vs the 6mt. I wonder what they would have said about those differences.

The one really cool thing that I like about the 1M is the fact that it is only available in 6MT. Someone name any other car that like that? I think it is cool that BMW attempted to make a car that is for driving purest and thats it!
__________________
WRX STI Hatchback - FP Green DBB WW Evo IX GSR tuned at 524whp
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #37
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
23

 
esqu1re's Avatar
 
Drives: M Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: East Coast


Posts: 1,858
iTrader: (0)

1M has great gas mileage! =/ Hides.
__________________


///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #38
F82_SID
Brigadier General
63

 
F82_SID's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 MR/BB E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver, CO. USA


Posts: 3,129
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
I can think of a few. GT3, GT3 RS, GT2, GT2 RS.
Porsche, Porsche, Porsche, Porsche,..... what else? Im not saying there are no other cars that are only offered in 6mt, I am just curious what they are. Is there anything else other then Porsches' and exotics? Remember we are comparing a 45k BMW 1M here.
__________________
2011/E92/M3/MR/BB/ZCV/ZP2/EDC/2MT
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #39
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
26

 
mapezzul's Avatar
 
Drives: Depends on the day!
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bavaria


Posts: 1,736
iTrader: (1)

I think you are reading to much into the reason for the DCT- they didn't pick it on purpose, it was probably all that was available in the press fleet at the time, scheduling two cars at the same time is not easy and sometimes what you want is just not available.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 04:00 PM   #40
F82_SID
Brigadier General
63

 
F82_SID's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 MR/BB E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver, CO. USA


Posts: 3,129
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrax91 View Post
Cars with only manual... Past or present? Evo ix's and down. Z4Ms. Im sure there are plenty more.
I did not know that....

Can you believe my CA and I actually got into an argument yesterday at the dealer over weather or not the DCT is a manual transmission or not. lol
__________________
2011/E92/M3/MR/BB/ZCV/ZP2/EDC/2MT
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #41
elp_jc
Brigadier General
United_States
79

 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .


Posts: 4,910
iTrader: (0)

Another important distinction is the S65 is a true (probably the last) M engine. The 1M is just a souped-up version of the N54. ANd same thing with the M trucks and the M5/6; just a variant of an N engine.

Last edited by elp_jc; 06-15-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 04:03 PM   #42
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
30

 
NewYearsBoy's Avatar
 
Drives: IS 300
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bradenton FL


Posts: 2,365
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Both are GREAT!!! Hey no matter what Im getting one of them....
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 04:13 PM   #43
Cyrax91
Eat Sleep Rave Repeat
Greece
39

 
Cyrax91's Avatar
 
Drives: WRX STI & FP Green DBB WW Evo
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NM


Posts: 1,553
iTrader: (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_SID View Post
I did not know that....

Can you believe my CA and I actually got into an argument yesterday at the dealer over weather or not the DCT is a manual transmission or not. lol
Yup and there are others I just cant think of them here at work haha.

I own a DCT and I love it. But I would never argue that its a manual transmission.
__________________
WRX STI Hatchback - FP Green DBB WW Evo IX GSR tuned at 524whp
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 04:13 PM   #44
F82_SID
Brigadier General
63

 
F82_SID's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 MR/BB E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver, CO. USA


Posts: 3,129
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Another important distinction is the S65 is a true (probably the last) M engine. The 1M is just a souped-up version of the N54. ANd same thing with the M trucks; just a variant of an N engine.
Amen brotha! This is my point exactly.
__________________
2011/E92/M3/MR/BB/ZCV/ZP2/EDC/2MT
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST