BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

GT Haus

06-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
Kurohouou
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2011 M3

Cracked windshield on 66

So today just driving along, not even near this dump truck about 2-300 feet ahead, even in a different lane. Then all of a sudden, BAM huge crack/fracture in the windshield. So pissed!! I pull up along the dump truck and start taking pictures, getting his plates and company info, at the same time seeing golf ball size rocks dropping out of the back every couple seconds!!

I called USAA to file my claim, unfortunately I have a 500 dollar deductible But better then nothing that's for sure seeing as everything I have looked at online says this is a 1000-1500 dollar job.

Anyways, here are a couple pics of the damage. I really hope USAA will go after this trucking company and refund my money!!

Anyone want to recommend a good dealer to take this to for glass replacements?

Attached Images

Last edited by Kurohouou; 06-08-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep

Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [3.44]
man that sucks.

That seems to big for Safelite to repair. Your best off getting a new OEM windshield and finding a good windshield installer.

Did you get the trucks license plate number? I would have tried to flag him down.
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
besiktas
Ultimate Driver for the Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW M3 E92

Do they replace with OEM or with a replica. i thought didnt replaced windshields with OEM parts even at the dealerships.

BMW M3 E92 - Silverstone II
BPM Sport Stage II Tune + Test Pipes, GTS DCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
Nine
Banned
Rep

Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

OP, I always stay away or pass trucks like that - they are trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by besiktas View Post
Do they replace with OEM or with a replica. i thought didnt replaced windshields with OEM parts even at the dealerships.
There was a thread about this, apparently you need to ask specifically for the M3 specific windshield to get the right tint and color...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
frenchM3dreamer
Captain
Rep

Drives: 08 Mitsu Eclipse Spyder GTP

make sure you get the OEM windshield, i had endless issues with an aftermarket one on my car (different car, but probably just as, if not less, touchy than the M3 to fix...)
good luck getting after the truck for that... damn if we did that here, every single car / truck driver will be in jail for "tires throwing rocks at other cars"...
the driver could always say that there was a small rock on the road and it flew to your car when he drove over...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
Kurohouou
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah, I'm going to make sure I get it taken to a dealer and verify they get a M3 specific windshield, I read about that green tint windshield post.. so ill look it over again. Maybe they had a part number listed. I'll probably end up taking it to BMW of Alexandria, they said they contract that work out, which pretty much every dealer does. But they use all BMW parts and they do the work at the dealership.

I probably should have flagged the truck down to get the drivers info, but at least I got the license plate and a shot of the door with the trucking companies info. Fingers crossed USAA will come through as my 500 deductible isn't fun to pay, its like burning money

Oh and I was trying to stay away from him, in another lane even, and no one was in front of me for at least half a mile.. so I know it came from him. Not to mention seeing rocks dropping from his bed while I drove by!! I do try my best to avoid them but they are doing so much damn construction around 66 and 495 its insane!!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #7
Kurohouou
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So I have B&G glass come out to fix the glass on Monday. They do most of the BMW work apparently in this area and use all OEM parts from clips to glass. I also told them to make sure its the M3 window, no green stripe at the top. Nothing at the top actually. They said they ran the VIN to give to BMW of Alexandria to get the right parts. So I trust they will have everything in order. They sound really nice and competent as well so that's good too. Will let you know how they do in case anyone else runs else to deal with this in the future.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
besiktas
Ultimate Driver for the Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW M3 E92

Is the insurance covering all the cost of the OEM glass over the deductible or is there a cap?

BMW M3 E92 - Silverstone II
BPM Sport Stage II Tune + Test Pipes, GTS DCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #9
Kurohouou
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I am just paying the deductible, the company already talked to my insurance company and worked it out.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 10:26 PM   #10
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by besiktas View Post
Is the insurance covering all the cost of the OEM glass over the deductible or is there a cap?
they should cover all, you just pay deductible, that's why they call it insurance.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 10:27 PM   #11
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

I've gone through with this twice with my Evo 8.

NOTE:
When you request a replacement in lieu of a repair, request the OEM BMW glass. You'll know you're getting the OEM, when they have to call BMW and there may be a delay in manufacturing and/or sourcing the glass.

There's a cheaper and faster alternative which is have SafeLite make the glass for you. It'll fit for sure, but they won't use the light weight glass. Insurance loves this b/c it saves them $$$, and you still paid the same amount of deductible as the OEM alternative. The only upside I see letting SafeLite manufacture it for you would be that they can turn it around to you in 1 business day.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 05:22 AM   #12
azzuro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurohouou View Post
So today just driving along, not even near this dump truck about 2-300 feet ahead, even in a different lane. Then all of a sudden, BAM huge crack/fracture in the windshield. So pissed!! I pull up along the dump truck and start taking pictures, getting his plates and company info, at the same time seeing golf ball size rocks dropping out of the back every couple seconds!!

I called USAA to file my claim, unfortunately I have a 500 dollar deductible But better then nothing that's for sure seeing as everything I have looked at online says this is a 1000-1500 dollar job.

Anyways, here are a couple pics of the damage. I really hope USAA will go after this trucking company and refund my money!!

Anyone want to recommend a good dealer to take this to for glass replacements?

It sucks, I drive on 66 myself.

I think this is the part number "51317192979". Check it out.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 09:27 AM   #13
Kurohouou
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well I just had the window replaced. B&G Glass did an amazing job, I highly recommend them. They use all BMW parts, had new seals and even a new condensation sensor that goes in the mirror. Everything was BMW OEM parts. Took about 45 minutes to do.

Looks good as new, just sucks I am out 500 bucks Damn dump trucks and all the construction they are doing around here which isn't going to help traffic at all. Just last night I was stuck on 66 for an hour and a half going 3 miles between nutley street and 495. Ok venting over
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 09:45 AM   #14
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

^ this is why I live in Arlington, I refuse to deal with traffic during the weekdays.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #15
Kurohouou
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
^ this is why I live in Arlington, I refuse to deal with traffic during the weekdays.
I hear you, I live in Falls Church myself. But have to drive out towards centerville every once in awhile..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #16
Kurohouou
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Someone asked me if they had a website, B&G Glass that is. I didn't see one, but I have the contact information if anyone in the future wants to know a good glass place that uses all OEM parts. 3018431173. Hope its Ok to post the number.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #17
GOLFFRR
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Golf Cart

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL US FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Need a quote or assistance from David? GO HERE-->bmwdavid@icloud.com or 202-262-2900
David's ED special ALL M cars-->http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1042739
Appreciate 0