BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

06-10-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
Poppin Fresh
Colonel

Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

Pros and cons of forged three piece wheels.

They look good as hell but I've been hearing some negative things regarding 3-piece wheels compared to monoblocks. Are these just myth or facts? I want to order a set from a very well known company but I'm afraid to drop serious coin if it's not as good as forged monoblock type wheels.
      06-11-2011, 02:13 AM   #2
phusion974
Lieutenant

Drives: OE Tuned C63

Monoblocks are usually stronger since they are 1 solid piece, the only downside is that if they get bent then you have to replace the whole wheel.

3 piece wheels look great especially a nice set of HRE's. The advantage of a 3 piece wheels is the barrels are easily replaceable if they get bent. They only downside is that they might be more prone to bending, but the ease of replacement compensates for that.
phusion974 is offline   Armenia
      06-11-2011, 07:46 AM   #3
ranger22
Private First Class

Drives: E90 M3

3 piece wheels are usually (not always) heavier then a similar monoblock, the can have leaking issues, they are usually higher maintenance in terms of keeping them clean for the bling effect, and many will vibrate in the rain where the water gets trapped in the crease where the two piece barrels meet.
ranger22 is offline   United_States
      06-11-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '11 E90 M3, '12 958 S

Send a message via AIM to a burrito
Quote:
Originally Posted by phusion974 View Post
Monoblocks are usually stronger since they are 1 solid piece, the only downside is that if they get bent then you have to replace the whole wheel.

3 piece wheels look great especially a nice set of HRE's. The advantage of a 3 piece wheels is the barrels are easily replaceable if they get bent. They only downside is that they might be more prone to bending, but the ease of replacement compensates for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger22 View Post
3 piece wheels are usually (not always) heavier then a similar monoblock, the can have leaking issues, they are usually higher maintenance in terms of keeping them clean for the bling effect, and many will vibrate in the rain where the water gets trapped in the crease where the two piece barrels meet.

These two are correct. To add to this the only thing that is usually 'forged' on a 3 piece wheel is the wheel face. Leaking issues can happen if the seal on the outside of the barrel (the inside part of the tire area that connects the inside barrel and outside barrel) starts to give away.

Personally having owned a few 3 piece wheels I would stick to a two piece design like the BBS LM or a monoblock. The advantage of a 3 piece wheel is that the wheel can be fixed by buying a new part for it but the whole idea is to not have your wheel damaged in the first place. With more seperate pieces put together to make one thing you are bound to have more maintenance in the future. I'm sure that there is a good reason why car manufacturers stick to 1 piece wheels.

AD08. Akra. Huper Optik. KW V3. Macht Schnell. RE SSK. TMS.
a burrito is offline   United_States
      06-11-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

Cons - look like they're from the 1980s.