BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Evolve Automotive

05-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: M3

Supreme Court orders California to release tens of thousands of prison inmates

The 5-4 decision represents one of the largest prison release orders in U.S. history. The court majority says overcrowding has caused 'suffering and death.' In a sharp dissent, Justice Antonin Scalia warns 'terrible things are sure to happen.'

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/sc...,2337401.story
      05-23-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep

Drives: 01 740i sport

Unemployment and crime rate will jump by 5%.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 04:04 PM   #3
infinitekid2002
Creepin while ya sleepin
United_States
Rep

Drives: Like a Bat out of Hell

Garage List
2008 135i  [3.71]
What we should do is get these inmates to work making more prisons...
      05-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep

Remember during WWII when prisoners were recruited by the military for special missions? Thats what should be done now.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Something had to be done. What the court ruled may not be the best way to achieve something, but it wasn't going the right direction on it's own.

See also: Set the captives free
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 08:11 PM   #6
infinitekid2002
Creepin while ya sleepin
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [3.71]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
Something had to be done. What the court ruled may not be the best way to achieve something, but it wasn't going the right direction on it's own.

See also: Set the captives free
I can't disagree with that statement...we need to legalize drugs if we want to get a hold of this.
      05-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #7
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Lately it seems I have agreed with the liberals on the court:
link

Kennedy said reducing the prison population could be accomplished in a number of ways besides simply releasing inmates. Some could be transferred to local jails or to prisons outside the state, something California already is doing. Expanding the use of “good-time” credits would allow the release of those least likely to reoffend; so would excusing prisoners now incarcerated for technical violations of parole.

“Diverting low-risk offenders to community programs such as drug treatment, day reporting centers, and electronic monitoring would likewise lower the prison population without releasing violent convicts,” he wrote.
The justice system and the penal system are both broken and something needs to be done about it. Some laws should also be changed to reduce the number of incarcerations. When you have so many more prisoners than facilities to keep them, and for 11 years! that is clear indication that it just isn't working.

I don't think building more prisons is the answer.

It's incredible to me that my wife who so often disagrees with me on so many of my conservative positions disagrees with me even in the rare cases where I take sides with the liberal position.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #8
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
Lately it seems I have agreed with the liberals on the court:
link

Kennedy said reducing the prison population could be accomplished in a number of ways besides simply releasing inmates. Some could be transferred to local jails or to prisons outside the state, something California already is doing. Expanding the use of “good-time” credits would allow the release of those least likely to reoffend; so would excusing prisoners now incarcerated for technical violations of parole.

“Diverting low-risk offenders to community programs such as drug treatment, day reporting centers, and electronic monitoring would likewise lower the prison population without releasing violent convicts,” he wrote.
The justice system and the penal system are both broken and something needs to be done about it. Some laws should also be changed to reduce the number of incarcerations. When you have so many more prisoners than facilities to keep them, and for 11 years! that is clear indication that it just isn't working.

I don't think building more prisons is the answer.

It's incredible to me that my wife who so often disagrees with me on so many of my conservative positions disagrees with me even in the rare cases where I take sides with the liberal position.
Not sure releasing prison inmates is necessarily a 'liberal' position, though. It's an economically and fiscally prudent decision to release inmates who have conducted minor drug offenses, and it also reduces the size of government -> both of which are arguably conservative philosophies.

That being said, I agree with your viewpoint.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 11:47 PM   #9
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
Not sure releasing prison inmates is necessarily a 'liberal' position, though. It's an economically and fiscally prudent decision to release inmates who have conducted minor drug offenses, and it also reduces the size of government -> both of which are arguably conservative philosophies.

That being said, I agree with your viewpoint.
The points you made I am sure are largely why I hold the opinion I do. I am glad we find agreement.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 07:23 AM   #10
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Zimbabwe
Rep

Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
2 weeks ago, here in LA, there was a 30 year shot and killed by 3 people, 1 that was recently released from prison. I hope this doesn't cause more of these killings or crimes.
      05-25-2011, 07:25 PM   #11
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
2 weeks ago, here in LA, there was a 30 year shot and killed by 3 people, 1 that was recently released from prison. I hope this doesn't cause more of these killings or crimes.
What was that person's crime that had resulted in prison time? Why was he/she released? Would others in similar conditions be release based on the Supreme Court ruling?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 08:16 AM   #12
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Zimbabwe
Rep

Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote from a local newspaper:

"Police said Thomas and Anderson have extensive criminal histories. Thomas is an alleged gang member from South Los Angeles who was released from prison last December after serving time for being a felon in possession of a firearm."

Doesn't say why he was let out. But it does show that 2 of these criminals had prior records, and could have continued to be problematic. Apparently they were problematic.

Scottwww, I am bringing this up as an argument against just releasing prisoners from our prisons. Yes we do need to save some dough in this country. But let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater and start releasing criminals that will make our cities less safe. Prison is still meant to be a deterrent and punishment for criminals. An easier way for us to not send people to prison is maybe for fewer of the people living here in the US, to maybe not break so many laws.

Personally, if it's between tax subsidies for Oil Companies or criminals in jail, I say keep the law breakers locked up and make Exxon pay taxes.
      05-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #13
infinitekid2002
Creepin while ya sleepin
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [3.71]
Quote:

"Police said Thomas and Anderson have extensive criminal histories. Thomas is an alleged gang member from South Los Angeles who was released from prison last December after serving time for being a felon in possession of a firearm."

Doesn't say why he was let out. But it does show that 2 of these criminals had prior records, and could have continued to be problematic. Apparently they were problematic.

Scottwww, I am bringing this up as an argument against just releasing prisoners from our prisons. Yes we do need to save some dough in this country. But let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater and start releasing criminals that will make our cities less safe. Prison is still meant to be a deterrent and punishment for criminals. An easier way for us to not send people to prison is maybe for fewer of the people living here in the US, to maybe not break so many laws.

Personally, if it's between tax subsidies for Oil Companies or criminals in jail, I say keep the law breakers locked up and make Exxon pay taxes.
It's unfortunate but this has caused a lot of debate and elected officials will need to do something about it now..building more facilities or whatever...there is a breaking point to prison overcrowding.
      05-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #14
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka
United_States
Rep

Drives: Exceptionally well :)

A real deterrent to breaking the law needs to be found and implemented. There are real reasons people don't want to be in Mexican, French, Chinese, Russian.... prisons

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 05:22 PM   #15
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
A real deterrent to breaking the law needs to be found and implemented. There are real reasons people don't want to be in Mexican, French, Chinese, Russian.... prisons

Trying telling that to human rights activists.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #16
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I partially agree with you.

The solution will have to be a longterm one. This cannot be fixed in a day. And I believe the SCOTUS opinion also suggested giving California five years to bring the prison population down to 110,000 rather than the two years given by the lower court.

Hopefully five years is enough time for Calfornia to comply and to do so with minimal negative impact on society.

Longterm, I would hope Californians would repeal their three-strikes law. Also, decriminalization of crimes that do not need to involve prison time might help. Then there is the need to rehabilitate in a way that people can become productively integrated with society, rather than having the prisons equipped with a revolving door.

The ideas probably already exist that could make this work for the long term. Hopefully the right people are in charge of this to find the answer.
Amendment 8 - Cruel and Unusual Punishment. Ratified 12/15/1791.

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 05:04 PM   #17
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 325i Arctic

This is more of a continuing ploy to have the inmates transfered (along with the bill for incarceration) to county jails instead of state-run pens.
Appreciate 0