BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-27-2010, 08:31 AM   #45
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: 2015 Felt IA2
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,695
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
No, nothing needs to be done by the dealer at the break in service. 1200 mile service is fluids and filters only. Nothing is done to software, nothing is enabled. It automatically becomes active at ~1250 miles.
So it becomes active even if you don't get the service? I don't think that's true is it? I could be wrong, but I do doubt that the car will enable LC if - at the very least - the service warning indicator is not cleared by the dealership.

Quote:
If it wasn't active, he wouldn't get the flag. Don't know what the specific problem is with yoyeewee. Probably needs to go to the dealer to find the problem.
I'm nearly positive that folks here have been able to get the flag without actually having LC be active yet. Don't quote me on that, but I am fairly sure I remember reading reports of that.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
mkoesel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2010, 03:57 AM   #46
MysticBlue
Major
 
Drives: '09 M3 DCT Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Eastern Oregon... They call 'em rigs here

Posts: 1,252
iTrader: (0)

I had the service done before 1200 miles and as expected, could not get the flag immediately after the service. I was only able to get the flag after I passed approx. 1250 miles. This was consistent with many others who had their service done before 1250 miles and could not get the flag until they had passed 1250 on the odometer.
Whether a service indicator light would preclude the flag from coming on, I don't know that for sure, but in this case I don't think that's the issue, because a) He is getting the flag, just not functionality after that, and b) I would assume he would have noticed by now, and mentioned, that he has a service indicator light that was not cleared.
In any case, to get the flag, you must be past 1250 miles.
MysticBlue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2010, 07:48 AM   #47
MysticBlue
Major
 
Drives: '09 M3 DCT Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Eastern Oregon... They call 'em rigs here

Posts: 1,252
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyeewee View Post
I tried it first and it didn't work. The RPM did go up to 5500 while holding the shift lever forward. Upon releasing the shift lever, the RPM needle just dropped to idle and the car was motionless. I tried it like 3 more times with the same result =(

So in total, it was 4 repeated attempts.
Hey, I had a hunch and gave it a try this morning. I think I might have a solution for you... When you floor it, it has to be floored all the way. There is a detent at the bottom of the throttle, kind of like the kickdown on an automatic transmission. Push the throttle all the way, then push a little harder and you feel a little click. You have to make sure the throttle is floored all the way through this detent. I tried it without pushing throught the detent and it does exactly as you described...
1. Came to a complete stop and took my foot off the brake.
2. DSC off then shift mode to S6.
3. Shift lever forward until flag appeared.
4. Full throttle (without pushing through the detent)
RPM went up to 5.5k and when I let go of the shift lever, nothing happened and the RPM went to idle.

I then repeated the process, this time with the throttle pushed through the indent and it launched as it should.

This detent has to continue to be pushed throughout the entire process if you want the transmission to shift for you, otherwise, if you lift off the detent after you've launched, you are then in effect back in normal S6 mode, which means when you get to red line, the transmission will not shift on it's own and you will bounce off the limter.
Bottom line... it's all about the detent.

Last edited by MysticBlue; 05-28-2010 at 10:03 AM.
MysticBlue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2010, 07:51 AM   #48
jrin21
New Member
 
Drives: White e90 M3
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SC

Posts: 25
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
Hey, I had a hunch and gave it a try this morning. I think I might have a solution for you... When you floor it, it has to be floored all the way. There is a detent at the bottom of the throttle, kind of like the kickdown on an automatic transmission. Push the throttle all the way, then push a little harder and you feel a little click. You have to make sure the throttle is floored all the way through this detent. I tried it without pushing throught the detent and it does exactly as you described...
1. Came to a complete stop and took my foot off the brake.
2. DSC off then shift mode to S6.
3. Shift lever forward until flag appeared.
4. Full throttle (without pushing through the detent)
RPM went up to 5.5k and when I let go of the shift lever, nothing happened and the RPM went to idle.

I then repeated the process, this time with the throttle pushed throught the indent and it launched as it should.

This detent has to continue to be pushed throught the entire process if you want the transmission to shift for you, otherwise, if you lift off the detent after you've launched, you are then in effect back in normal S6 mode, which means when you get to red line, the transmission will not shift on it's own and you will bounce off the limter.
Bottom line... it's all about the detent.
what do you mean push through the detent ?
jrin21 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2010, 08:10 AM   #49
MysticBlue
Major
 
Drives: '09 M3 DCT Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Eastern Oregon... They call 'em rigs here

Posts: 1,252
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrin21 View Post
what do you mean push through the detent ?
There is a detent at the bottom of the throttle travel, kind of like the kickdown on an automatic transmission. Push the throttle all the way, then push a little harder and you feel a little click. Don't know if "detent" is the right word to use, but that's the best I can do as far as describing it.
MysticBlue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #50
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: 2015 Felt IA2
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,695
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
This was consistent with many others who had their service done before 1250 miles and could not get the flag until they had passed 1250 on the odometer.
Yes, that part I agree with, but as I say I believe there is a set of conditions that will let the flag come on but LC still not work. Some of the ones I recall could have been cases that boiled down to user error - that part I am not sure on.

Quote:
Whether a service indicator light would preclude the flag from coming on, I don't know that for sure,
Me neither. But remember, 1200 miles is just an estimate. The car tells you when its ready for service. And to wit - mine didn't put up the warning lamp until passed 1300 miles. I never actually tried a full LC before that (certainlly didn't want to rev the car to redline and hammer on it before the service) but to the best of my recollection I could indeed get the flag prior to service. However, I don't know if LC was truly still disabled at that point or not. It makes that it would be though otherwise why bother not allowing LC to begin with (which we know the car does do)?

Quote:
but in this case I don't think that's the issue, because a) He is getting the flag, just not functionality after that, and b) I would assume he would have noticed by now, and mentioned, that he has a service indicator light that was not cleared.
I agree it seems unlikely at this point. With my original post on the matter I was really just throwing out possibilities. I was making the assumption (perhaps a poor one) that he was executing the procedure properly since it was detailed in the thread already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
There is a detent at the bottom of the throttle travel, kind of like the kickdown on an automatic transmission. Push the throttle all the way, then push a little harder and you feel a little click. Don't know if "detent" is the right word to use, but that's the best I can do as far as describing it.
I think detent is a good work for it. It's what I've always used. Not sure who "coined" the application of the term to the DCT gas pedal, but I want to say it was swamp2. Good idea to think of that, BTW. It is indeed easy to overlook the fact that the car has the detent, especially if you are coming from a car with manual transmission.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
mkoesel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2010, 11:50 AM   #51
pilot_bro2003
Private First Class
 
pilot_bro2003's Avatar
 
Drives: MY 09 E93 / 99 CL600
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North San Diego County

Posts: 180
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt View Post
I can't see BMW putting instructions in their manual on how to execute launch control, and then saying:

"Sorry, you followed our instructions but now were voiding your warranty because you utilized a feature built into your car. Better luck next time champ!"
...that would be soooo Nissan!
pilot_bro2003 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2010, 01:52 PM   #52
holt
Private
 
holt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe - Jet Black
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Midland, TX

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
There is a detent at the bottom of the throttle travel, kind of like the kickdown on an automatic transmission. Push the throttle all the way, then push a little harder and you feel a little click. Don't know if "detent" is the right word to use, but that's the best I can do as far as describing it.
101% true
__________________
*********************************************
2010 M3 Coupe - Jet Black on black interior /// Escort 9500ci /// Macht Schnell - Stage 1 Intake Charge Kit /// DEPO Smoked Front Reflectors /// Black Satin Chrome Edition front/side grills
holt is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2010, 01:33 AM   #53
JIO
Captain
 
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92 M3 w/DCT
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Eugene, Oregon

Posts: 627
iTrader: (0)

Doing launch controls won't void your warranty on the clutches BUT........

I sold my '04 E46 M3 with SMG to a friend two years ago. Last month, the car with only 25,000 miles but 6 years old had clutch troubles. I never used the launch control. Well the dealer checked and sure enough no LC's were recorded on the car. Because of that fact they replaced all the clutch components free of charge as a courtesy fix, since the car had only 25K miles and had not been abused.

So I suppose if your clutches die at under 50K miles but over 4 years old or over 50K miles but under 4 years old, not doing too many LC's may save you some money down the road. The SMG bill was around $2500, and I'll bet it's a lot more for DCT.
JIO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2010, 03:06 AM   #54
M3ryder55
Major
 
Drives: 15' MW/SO ETA August
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chatsworth, CA

Posts: 1,091
iTrader: (2)

^ sounds like your buddy got lucky that it was a courtesy fix..

bmw would NEVER put launch control on a car if it will void your warranty! it's part of the damn M experience. Thats why this car costs double the price of a regular 3 series. Granted I still haven't done the damn launch control cause I can't get the damn flag to pop up. But I think what I'm doing wrong is pressing the brake pedal. I will try again tomorrow...

but this voiding warranty is non sense. What is the dealership going to say. "umm sir sorry your dct is messed up, but its your fault for using LC too much." gimme a break. It comes standard w/ the car, its not like LC is a form of tuning or kit thats purchased aftermarket. if my cd player goes out on the car is it because I played to many cd's or listened to too much music, therefore I wore out the player faster and due to that reason it will void my warranty?...
M3ryder55 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2011, 01:28 AM   #55
chrisj909
///eMpower3d
 
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 E93
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA

Posts: 1
iTrader: (0)

e93 dealer manual on LC

Here is what the manual says on LC. I will try it later this week (both the manual version and what this forum is saying) and report back.

Launch Control
Launch Control enables an optimum acceleration
when starting off on a road surface with
good traction.
Do not use Launch Control too often; otherwise,
the powerful stresses on the vehicle
will lead to premature component wear.<
Launch Control is available when the engine is
at operating temperature, i.e. after driving continuously
for approx. 6.2 miles/10 km.
1. With the engine running, step on the brake
with your left foot.
2. Activate Dynamic Traction Control (DTC),
refer to page 90.
3. Activate Driving dynamics control, refer to
page 62.
4. With the vehicle stationary, activate the
manual mode and select 1st gear.
5. With your right foot, push the accelerator
pedal past the resistance point. The engine
speed for pulling away is adjusted. A flag
symbol appears in the instrument cluster.
6. When you release the brake pedal, the vehicle
accelerates. Keep the accelerator pedal
floored.
7. The upshifting occurs automatically as long
as you keep the accelerator pedal pressed
past the resistance point.
Launch Control will be ready for use again after
you drive a certain distance.
Launch Control is not available for use during
the break-in phase, refer to page 126.
To maintain driving stability, keep DSC
activated whenever possible.<
chrisj909 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2011, 02:16 AM   #56
Frozen Black
Private
 
Frozen Black's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 E92 2010 Frozen Black
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Australia

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

Too many drivers stress that their Launch Control doesnt work/come up.

Just persever a little and you will see how easy it is to activaite it.

You will then say to yourself....that was sooooo easy, i cant believe thats all you need to do!
__________________
Drive it like its stolen
Frozen Black is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2011, 11:32 AM   #57
Sandye90m3
Captain
 
Sandye90m3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoCal

Posts: 765
iTrader: (0)

Be a man
__________________
M3.e90 JZB blacked out.coded
Sandye90m3 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2011, 04:54 PM   #58
OC3
Havin' a blast!
 
OC3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,818
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj909 View Post
Here is what the manual says on LC. I will try it later this week (both the manual version and what this forum is saying) and report back.

Launch Control
Launch Control enables an optimum acceleration
when starting off on a road surface with
good traction.
Do not use Launch Control too often; otherwise,
the powerful stresses on the vehicle
will lead to premature component wear.<
Launch Control is available when the engine is
at operating temperature, i.e. after driving continuously
for approx. 6.2 miles/10 km.
1. With the engine running, step on the brake
with your left foot.
2. Activate Dynamic Traction Control (DTC),
refer to page 90.
3. Activate Driving dynamics control, refer to
page 62.
4. With the vehicle stationary, activate the
manual mode and select 1st gear.
5. With your right foot, push the accelerator
pedal past the resistance point. The engine
speed for pulling away is adjusted. A flag
symbol appears in the instrument cluster.
6. When you release the brake pedal, the vehicle
accelerates. Keep the accelerator pedal
floored.
7. The upshifting occurs automatically as long
as you keep the accelerator pedal pressed
past the resistance point.
Launch Control will be ready for use again after
you drive a certain distance.
Launch Control is not available for use during
the break-in phase, refer to page 126.
To maintain driving stability, keep DSC
activated whenever possible.<
Well, I hope so
__________________

BRP CW13 1:58 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo BBK | Endless ME20 | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD
OC3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2011, 05:14 PM   #59
persian54
Lieutenant General
 
persian54's Avatar
 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

Posts: 15,787
iTrader: (291)

activating LC on the Z4 is so much easier... and you don't have to be on a completely flat surface like you do on the M.

I hate how if it rolls slightly the M won't launch... it's rare to find a completely flat place around here

with the Z4, you put it on Sport+, M1, hold brake, push throttle, release brake and hold on.
persian54 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2011, 06:01 PM   #60
ramyar
Member BMW CCA Los Angeles
 
ramyar's Avatar
 
Drives: 11.5 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 436
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj909 View Post
Here is what the manual says on LC. I will try it later this week (both the manual version and what this forum is saying) and report back.

Launch Control
Launch Control enables an optimum acceleration
when starting off on a road surface with
good traction.
Do not use Launch Control too often; otherwise,
the powerful stresses on the vehicle
will lead to premature component wear.<
Launch Control is available when the engine is
at operating temperature, i.e. after driving continuously
for approx. 6.2 miles/10 km.
1. With the engine running, step on the brake
with your left foot.
2. Activate Dynamic Traction Control (DTC),
refer to page 90.
3. Activate Driving dynamics control, refer to
page 62.
4. With the vehicle stationary, activate the
manual mode and select 1st gear.
5. With your right foot, push the accelerator
pedal past the resistance point. The engine
speed for pulling away is adjusted. A flag
symbol appears in the instrument cluster.
6. When you release the brake pedal, the vehicle
accelerates. Keep the accelerator pedal
floored.
7. The upshifting occurs automatically as long
as you keep the accelerator pedal pressed
past the resistance point.
Launch Control will be ready for use again after
you drive a certain distance.
Launch Control is not available for use during
the break-in phase, refer to page 126.
To maintain driving stability, keep DSC
activated whenever possible.<
So looks like there are two ways to LC, interesting. This method assumes you don't have to be on a level surface too, just stationary.
__________________
Current Rides:
2014 ///M5 ZCP

Much enjoyed:
2011.5 ///M3 Sedan || 2007 ///M Coupe || 2008 550i Sport || 2006 ///M3 ZCP || 2008 X3 3.0si || 2006 325i || 2003 Z4 3.0 Roadster || 2003 330ci || 2002 325i
ramyar is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2011, 07:38 PM   #61
donovan
Brigadier General
 
donovan's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 m3 AW, light package
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: le' Murica

Posts: 3,492
iTrader: (12)

I will see this thread in 2 months..


I cant believe me DCT broke...! man...

I only lauched it 52 times..
__________________


e46 m3 Black
Too many mods
donovan is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2011, 08:09 AM   #62
Nelrock
Lieutenant
 
Nelrock's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Oklahoma

Posts: 516
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyeewee View Post
I tried it first and it didn't work. The RPM did go up to 5500 while holding the shift lever forward. Upon releasing the shift lever, the RPM needle just dropped to idle and the car was motionless. I tried it like 3 more times with the same result =(

So in total, it was 4 repeated attempts.
Were you stationary? If the car rolls at all, it will disengage.
You're keeping the gas pedal floored? Letting up on it, even slightly, can cause it to disengage too.
__________________

2011 E92 M3 | Melbourne Red | Black Novillo w/Carbon Leather Trim | M-DCT | Competition Package | Premium Package 2 | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | Heated Front Seats
2004 E46 M3 | Silver Grey | - Retired
Nelrock is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #63
Tyspy
Enlisted Member
 
Tyspy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Essex, England

Posts: 38
iTrader: (0)

I can't get mine in LC mode either, tried 4/5 times last week in the end I gave up!

I see from some replies not to apply the brake but the manual says apply the brake?Or am I reading incorrectly? Really want to use this at least once! Last time I tried I ended up wheel spinning for what felt like miles!!
__________________


2010 M3
2010 RR Sport HSE
Tyspy is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #64
Nelrock
Lieutenant
 
Nelrock's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Oklahoma

Posts: 516
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyspy View Post
I can't get mine in LC mode either, tried 4/5 times last week in the end I gave up!

I see from some replies not to apply the brake but the manual says apply the brake?Or am I reading incorrectly? Really want to use this at least once! Last time I tried I ended up wheel spinning for what felt like miles!!
No brake.

It says to press brake...but then a couple steps later...it says something along the lines of "with the vehicle stationary". I'm guessing they thought that implied to remove your foot from the brake...since...why wouldnt it be stationary if your foot was on the brake?
Definitely something they could of made a little clearer.
__________________

2011 E92 M3 | Melbourne Red | Black Novillo w/Carbon Leather Trim | M-DCT | Competition Package | Premium Package 2 | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | Heated Front Seats
2004 E46 M3 | Silver Grey | - Retired
Nelrock is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2011, 01:44 PM   #65
alpina527
Banned
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT JZB/FR
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, England

Posts: 638
iTrader: (1)

Does anyone know how to access the ecu to edit the amount of LC's?
alpina527 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #66
Frozen Black
Private
 
Frozen Black's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 E92 2010 Frozen Black
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Australia

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyspy View Post
I can't get mine in LC mode either, tried 4/5 times last week in the end I gave up!

I see from some replies not to apply the brake but the manual says apply the brake?Or am I reading incorrectly? Really want to use this at least once! Last time I tried I ended up wheel spinning for what felt like miles!!
keep your foot on the break and then push you gear selector forward. whilst holding it forward, release the break and the flag should come up. flatten your accelerator (push it down hard..you will feel a click) whilst holding the gear selector forward. the revs will stay constant (around 5000 - 5500). during this time when your ready to launch, let go of the gear selector (keep your foot flat to the floor)and hold on tight to your steering wheel........see ya!
__________________
Drive it like its stolen
Frozen Black is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST