BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

Steve Thomas BMW

05-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
murmur
Private
Rep

Drives: IB E90 M3

3M vs. Ventureshield

Mods, please move if this is not the correct place to ask this question.... I was wondering if folks over here have some input on these 2 products.

My installer can do either one and I am trying to get a better feel from folks who have it installed on their Ms. I went to his shop today and he had a 599 there which he was installing 3M on. In my opinion, the 3M seemed to have an egg shell sort of feel / look to it. I dont know how Venture looks / feels but I have heard good stuff about that as well. He also said that 3M is more durable and will not yellow out on me vs. Venture which might look better initially but may yellow out in the long run (4 to 5 yrs).

thoughts??

almost forgot its going to go on an E90 IB
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
albert1028
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

Drives: 2009 E90 Space Gray M3

I think 3M purchased ventureshield a while back, so are you asking if there's a difference between the Scotchguard and ventureshield?

I know that many installers out here in California use ventureshield, the model with a clearcoat.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep

Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [3.44]
isn't 3M and Ventureshield the same product? I had my installer put on Ventureshield and if i'm not mistaken, it is by 3M.

That said, I've had Ventureshield for about a year now and its been well worth the investment. Here are some pics of my car, which is also IB.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=425241

also, as I was told by the installer (whom i trust), he said the product has pores in it that allow UV rays through. That way the clear-bra part will fade as the rest of the car fades over time. That way you don't have a car that looks 1/2 new, 1/2 faded from the paint.
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
quadpipes
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: '11 E92 M3 IB/Beige,M-DCT,ZCP

If you go to the 3M website here;

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3.../Where_to_Buy/

it would lead you to believe that even though Ventureshield is owned by 3M, they are different films.

That said, I just went through the debate on films and came to the conclusion that a successful install (looks great, protects car, reasonable price, etc.) is 80% due to the installer and 20% the film selection. I ended up choosing X-Pel premium film after a long discussion with my installer (who could also do Ventureshield) because it was a slightly thicker film. I also had Ventureshield on my 08 E92 M3 and did not like the orange peel or the durability.

As an added bonus, the X-Pel kit came with a rear bumper film cutout for the area just below the trunk opening on the top of the bumper. It's invisible and gives added peace of mind for that area.

Overall the install came out great.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #5
Inerrant
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2011.75 BMW M3 E93

I have IB also and i went with Ventureshield. Either way i dont think you can go wrong!
Appreciate 0