BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Racewerkz Engineering
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-19-2011, 12:04 AM   #45
Mr.Metak2you
Brigadier General
 
Mr.Metak2you's Avatar
 
Drives: LEXUS LS(DailyDriver)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwr'

Posts: 4,750
iTrader: (15)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle S65B40 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
Well I can speak from experience because I've owned all of these Mcars;
E36, E46, Z4Mcoupe, E90, M6 and now awaiting the 1M. I've climbed that ladder chasing the next big thing in the M line up. I've even spent time on the track with the M5/M6/M3 at BMW's driving school in Spartanburg. More expensive and more luxurious does not always translate to more fun. I haven't driven the 1M yet but I'm thinking I will enjoy it more than the M6. Maybe won't turn heads like having a supermodel on your arm but I'm guessing the 1M is gonna be the cute girl next door that will rock your sox in the bedroom!
I like what you're saying here, but the M3 is also the girl next door, but with a better body, face and personality than your girl.
You like what I'm saying but you missed the point entirely. I already said the M3 was the 'supermodel' in my analogy, so of course, better body, better face, etc. Oh...forget.
__________________
Mr.Metak2you is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2011, 12:05 AM   #46
saeedg48
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 12 CLS63 + 14 M6 C
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Unknown

Posts: 3,499
iTrader: (1)

the 1m is the m3s little brother.
__________________


2008 M3 Sedan + TestPipes + Tune [sold]

2012 CLS63 AMG + P30 Performance Package
2014 M6 Coupe + AMS Downpipes + KW V3
saeedg48 is offline   Iran
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2011, 12:13 AM   #47
clar
Captain
 
clar's Avatar
 
Drives: M5
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Singapore

Posts: 933
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStigsCanadianCousin View Post
I kind of wish they built a M roadster w/ the S65...
Me too. I want a fixed roof Z4 with the S65 so much!
clar is offline   Singapore
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2011, 11:09 AM   #48
kabalm18
My car drones and I LOVE IT!!!
 
kabalm18's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M & F10 535xi
Join Date: May 2008
Location: My House

Posts: 613
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
You like what I'm saying but you missed the point entirely. I already said the M3 was the 'supermodel' in my analogy, so of course, better body, better face, etc. Oh...forget.
Too fat to be a supermodel. 400 lbs heavier is a lot of woman.

M3 = The Chubby Oprah
1M = The young Tyra
kabalm18 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2011, 11:38 AM   #49
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
 
SUB-ZERO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 997TT Arctic Silver
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: VA

Posts: 1,562
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KASM3 View Post
I love my e9x M3. When it came to the streets people in the press complained about everything from the steering to how low the exhaust hung. Even after it wiped the floor with greater than 90% of the competition, it had to earn it's respect every step of the way. 1M hits the ground at it's the e30 reincarnated (as per several articles). Magazines are stating they would take 1M over the M3. Am I in the matrix? Has the world gone mad? Maybe I'm just jealous. I actually feel bad because I wanted to see a bad review on the 1M. How bad is that!
Sometimes I feel some of the mags that reviewed the 1M had some type of agreement with BMW, a la Ferrari if you will. ///Marketing

Some of the mags even said that the 1M is 600 lbs lighter than the m3..LOL.

The fact is that the m3 is 342 heavier.

The hp/weight ratio of the m3 is .1117hp/lb and the 1m is .0996hp/lb.

The 1m also has a higher center of gravity than the m3.

The 1m is nice but IMO, it is no m3...not even close. All the good parts that the 1m has, come from the m3.

However, I wouldn't mind a 1m as a DD. One must come to terms with what it is and what it isn't. If I just wanted a track toy, I would probably choose the 1m over the m3 simply because it is $20k cheaper. However, in every other situation, the m3 will win every time.

-SZ
SUB-ZERO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #50
donovan
Brigadier General
 
donovan's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 m3 AW, light package
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: le' Murica

Posts: 3,512
iTrader: (12)

The perfect marketing.technique...

Reminds me of when.the 335 came out...
__________________


e46 m3 Black
Too many mods
donovan is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #51
Mhirsch
Private
 
Drives: 2010 M5 - 2011 M3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Minnesota

Posts: 71
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
My M3 is my first high revving car. When I bought it, the (high revving) NA engine with wide power band was not the main reason why I bought it. I enjoyed cornering fast and wanted to get one of the best street cars on the market that would provide a track quality performance. Little did I know, the high revving engine captivated me. I am now addicted to 7K, 8K and beyond too. Addicted to the predictability of S65 performance. Addicted to the precision handling, I could play soccer with the front wheels. Addicted to S65 roar from 4K to redline. I am so happy with this car I could care less about the 1M.
I'm not an expert in cars but I believe 1M competition is more like WRX/STI.

This is right on! S85 is even more amazing!
__________________
2010 E60 M5 - BSM, Loaded
2011.5 E92 M3 - AW, 6MT, ZCP
Mhirsch is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2011, 12:40 AM   #52
Mr.Metak2you
Brigadier General
 
Mr.Metak2you's Avatar
 
Drives: LEXUS LS(DailyDriver)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwr'

Posts: 4,750
iTrader: (15)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post

Sometimes I feel some of the mags that reviewed the 1M had some type of agreement with BMW, a la Ferrari if you will. ///Marketing

Some of the mags even said that the 1M is 600 lbs lighter than the m3..LOL.

The fact is that the m3 is 342 heavier.

The hp/weight ratio of the m3 is .1117hp/lb and the 1m is .0996hp/lb.

The 1m also has a higher center of gravity than the m3.

The 1m is nice but IMO, it is no m3...not even close. All the good parts that the 1m has, come from the m3.

-SZ
I usually like what you have to contribute to the forum, but in this case I feel you are way off.

First, reference some of these mags that claim there is a 600lb difference. I haven't seen this. Besides the over 300lb weight difference is nothing to scoff at.

Second. Power to weight ratio is better in the M3 but it's also better in the M6, but you are also dealing with greater weight in both cases, which does become a factor when you decide you want to change direction.

Third. What facts do you base the center of gravity on? How dramatic a difference do you think the CF roof is going to be to the no sunroof 1M? It certainly isn't because of the height difference. 55.9 vs. 55.8

Lastly, you say it is all marketing. But who's to say that you yourself haven't fallen prey to the very same marketing lure and now you're so convinced there is nothing 'better'. I've owned a lot of M cars and have been sucked into the bigger, more powerful, more tech tidbits, more luxury blackhole that is ///M as we know it today, all the way up to the M6. The 1M is a breath of fresh air and really resonates with me and others that don't have any agreement with BMW besides writing a check at the time of purchase. The fact is the two cars performance stats are very similar, but deliver it in very different ways. Bottom line, it is really just preference. Some might prefer the bigger more powerful M6. I for the time being drawn away from my M6, believe it or not, to the 1M.
__________________
Mr.Metak2you is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2011, 05:49 AM   #53
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Brucewonder's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Socal

Posts: 1,543
iTrader: (4)

Ding ding, put me into that pool ahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFPunjabi View Post
One thing I've always noticed is those people who buy the highest end car in a series are kinda ticked off when they see the lower end model which is probably because we paid more for ours and want the exclusivity.

People who own Carrera's are usually going hate Boxters.

People who own a ZR1 are usually gonna hate the regular coupe. (Rightfully so they paid more than double for theirs!)
__________________
2011.5 E92 ///M3 SSII/FR
Brucewonder is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2011, 08:24 AM   #54
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
 
SUB-ZERO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 997TT Arctic Silver
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: VA

Posts: 1,562
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
I usually like what you have to contribute to the forum, but in this case I feel you are way off.

First, reference some of these mags that claim there is a 600lb difference. I haven't seen this. Besides the over 300lb weight difference is nothing to scoff at.

Second. Power to weight ratio is better in the M3 but it's also better in the M6, but you are also dealing with greater weight in both cases, which does become a factor when you decide you want to change direction.

Third. What facts do you base the center of gravity on? How dramatic a difference do you think the CF roof is going to be to the no sunroof 1M? It certainly isn't because of the height difference. 55.9 vs. 55.8

Lastly, you say it is all marketing. But who's to say that you yourself haven't fallen prey to the very same marketing lure and now you're so convinced there is nothing 'better'. I've owned a lot of M cars and have been sucked into the bigger, more powerful, more tech tidbits, more luxury blackhole that is ///M as we know it today, all the way up to the M6. The 1M is a breath of fresh air and really resonates with me and others that don't have any agreement with BMW besides writing a check at the time of purchase. The fact is the two cars performance stats are very similar, but deliver it in very different ways. Bottom line, it is really just preference. Some might prefer the bigger more powerful M6. I for the time being drawn away from my M6, believe it or not, to the 1M.
I guess I just have mixed feelings about how mags are representing the 1m; it sounds almost too good to be true honestly. I find it very hard to believe that the 1m can outperform an m3. I saw one at the DC car show a few months ago and I must admit, it was cool looking in much the same way a STI or EVO is but it definitely is no m3.

A buddy of mine has a 1m on order; he didn't have the cash for an m3 and needed something more fuel efficient that an m3 to use as a DD, so I was the first one to push him towards the 1m.

Do I like it? Yes I do. The 1m wouldn't be the only quirky looking car that I have liked; after all, I had a bug-eyed WRX at one point.


Would I buy one? Yes, I probably would if I wanted a cool car to keep my m3 company in the garage (that wasn't a Porsche).

You are right about the 1M being a breath of fresh air. Hopefully, the 1M is paving the way to lighter, more agile ///M cars.

Maybe when my buddy finally gets a 1M, we can take a trip to Summit Point and pin it [1M] against the M3 to see how it does.


-SZ

Last edited by SUB-ZERO; 05-20-2011 at 09:06 AM.
SUB-ZERO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST