BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Evolve Automotive

05-17-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
taleof2bricks
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Reasonable Time for Major Warranty Work

I believe this is more of a general service question, so I will post here, but will keep the engine-details to a minimum:

On Thurs, April 21, my 08 M3 Sedan suffered a major breakdown and had to be towed to the dealership. About 1 week later, a replacement short block was reportedly shipped from Germany with an ETA of last week (May 11th or so).

As of today, I am still awaiting word on when the lower motor will arrive. I do appreciate that it has to come a long way, and they certainly aren't going to "rush" it. I know major failures are not common, but if anyone has "heard" or "read" of someone else who experienced something similar: might someone indicate how much longer it might take to get that short block here?

I wasn't given a full explanation of what happened, but the car has all service records (oil changes more frequently than recommended) since new (I'm the 2nd owner).

I passed on the loaner car, after being given a smoky Altima hybrid the last time I was in for service.

I read on some BMW tech forum that the "book hours" for a short block replacement are 23 hours...once the "part" arrives, can anyone guess how long the actual repairs might take?

If this needs to be elsewhere, I understand...

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
Seattle S65B40
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Sorry, i don't have answer, but I am still writing to wish you the best. Please keep us posted on the repair process and whether there are any details as to what happened.

Club 6MT
2008 E92 M3 6MT, AW/Blk Ext., brushed aluminum
2006 E46 M3 ZCP 6MT Carbon blk/blk(sold)
2001 E46 325Xi 5MT Jet Blk/Blk (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #3
taleof2bricks
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Received a surprising update this morning.

Due to some "mix up", my motor did not ship until this past Monday, and the "new ETA" is mid next week.

I know this isn't a common failure, and they don't keep motors on the shelf, but the delay has me a bit puzzled, and on the verge of frustration.

They are being careful not to quote me actual repair time, so I am anticipating another week after that motor gets here.
Appreciate 0