BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-16-2011, 11:17 PM   #133
Echo M3
Major
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,431
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
Yeah. We have DOs at my school. I am talking about completely different fields within medicine though. I chose optometry. I like the idea of it being medical as well as being a business. Also, the idea of being able to actually work 40hr work weeks and not spend the next 20yrs in school working towards something is pretty great. I love the field. Very rewarding and challenging.

Also, podiatry. Its pretty awesome. I've got a few friends in the program. Very interesting field.
Isn't optometry school 4 years? Why didn't you do med school and then optho? I would think that they have a wider breadth of conditions that they get to treat and procedures that they are permitted to do. And given that it's a partly cosmetic field, opening and running your own practice is not at all uncommon. The only downside (as I see it) is the 4 years of residency you're committed to.
Echo M3 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 11:24 PM   #134
JayKay335i
Banned
 
Drives: ///M323 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Dakota; its best DUHHHHHH

Posts: 5,047
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
Isn't optometry school 4 years? Why didn't you do med school and then optho? I would think that they have a wider breadth of conditions that they get to treat and procedures that they are permitted to do. And given that it's a partly cosmetic field, opening and running your own practice is not at all uncommon.
Yeah, its a 4yr doctorate program with an optional year long residency. Most states you can prescribe and a couple states are now allowing laser, with more to follow. Ophthalmologists do what we do plus surgery. The fields are similar yet vastly different. I never wanted to do surgery. I also didn't want to go to medical school and then do another few years in residency for optho and then another to specialize even further. Right now the scope of optometry is pretty awesome. From the little things and instant gratification of prescribing glasses to finding, diagnosing, and treating pathology. Its also a pretty small field and I've met so many great people and doctors within the profession. Not to mention the cosmetic aspects of the business. The money is also pretty limitless and I'll be a lot less distraught after all this health care legislature than the guys doing surgeries and getting paid 1/3 as much from medicare if I run the business correctly.

I'm about to start my third year and it really just encompasses so much more than I ever thought or knew it could/would. Everyday has been something cool and different and it'll be life long learning experience.

Also, I'll be able to walk out and practice at 26. Cant beat that
JayKay335i is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #135
yakev724
Brigadier General
 
yakev724's Avatar
 
Drives: 00 RX300
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ithaca, NY

Posts: 3,559
iTrader: (49)

You're committed to the DO from when you apply? Or can you make the call between MD and a separate degree after 1-2 years?

Something I hadn't thought about. I'll look for a way to get involved in some medical work this summer. Luckily have a family friend in head/neck surgery who's willing to let me shadow; also have a hospital on campus. Working in physics research turned into watching the world cup last summer. Didn't get much done.
yakev724 is offline   Russian Federation
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 11:38 PM   #136
JayKay335i
Banned
 
Drives: ///M323 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Dakota; its best DUHHHHHH

Posts: 5,047
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakev724 View Post
You're committed to the DO from when you apply? Or can you make the call between MD and a separate degree after 1-2 years?

Something I hadn't thought about. I'll look for a way to get involved in some medical work this summer. Luckily have a family friend in head/neck surgery who's willing to let me shadow; also have a hospital on campus. Working in physics research turned into watching the world cup last summer. Didn't get much done.
You're committed. Separate schools.
JayKay335i is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2011, 12:51 AM   #137
hl0m4n
Brigadier General
 
hl0m4n's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NY

Posts: 4,838
iTrader: (41)

jay don't worry too much, you got it . my vision sucks from being around computer and tv all the time so ill be sure to stop by to get me lasik by that time, hopefully at discount .

for me i start my summer intern at bmw na in a week. hoping it goes well and opens future doors for me with bmw.

when we both finish with our schools and are stable lets go out and pop open a complimentary bottle of balvenie, of course since your the md you got it right .
__________________
Cars: 07 335i ► 09 328i ► 11 328xi ► 13 M3
Reviews: 335i Supersprint Exhaust, C/F Trim Wrap, Alcantara Boots, VMR V710, Saikou Michi OCC, Royal Steering Wheel
For Sale:
Want To Buy:
hl0m4n is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2011, 01:02 AM   #138
JayKay335i
Banned
 
Drives: ///M323 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Dakota; its best DUHHHHHH

Posts: 5,047
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
jay don't worry too much, you got it . my vision sucks from being around computer and tv all the time so ill be sure to stop by to get me lasik by that time, hopefully at discount .

for me i start my summer intern at bmw na in a week. hoping it goes well and opens future doors for me with bmw.

when we both finish with our schools and are stable lets go out and pop open a complimentary bottle of balvenie, of course since your the md you got it right .
Well, technically your vision sucks because you're Asian. Asians tend to have shallower orbits and smaller eyes, leading to high myopia and increased risk for narrow angle glaucoma. But thats besides the point.

The intern ship should be awesome. You'll enjoy it. My ex did one at the Merc corporate down the road and loved it.

As for graduation, you can buy the bottle. I'll only be an OD. You'll be the one with the GTR.
JayKay335i is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2011, 01:09 AM   #139
hl0m4n
Brigadier General
 
hl0m4n's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NY

Posts: 4,838
iTrader: (41)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
Well, technically your vision sucks because you're Asian. Asians tend to have shallower orbits and smaller eyes, leading to high myopia and increased risk for narrow angle glaucoma. But thats besides the point.

The intern ship should be awesome. You'll enjoy it. My ex did one at the Merc corporate down the road and loved it.

As for graduation, you can buy the bottle. I'll only be an OD. You'll be the one with the GTR.
jk. you'll have the porsche so the bottle def on you. is your ex still working with benz or just internship and left?
Attached Images
 
__________________
Cars: 07 335i ► 09 328i ► 11 328xi ► 13 M3
Reviews: 335i Supersprint Exhaust, C/F Trim Wrap, Alcantara Boots, VMR V710, Saikou Michi OCC, Royal Steering Wheel
For Sale:
Want To Buy:
hl0m4n is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2011, 01:46 AM   #140
JayKay335i
Banned
 
Drives: ///M323 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Dakota; its best DUHHHHHH

Posts: 5,047
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
jk. you'll have the porsche so the bottle def on you. is your ex still working with benz or just internship and left?
Some day I'll own a turbo but it wont be any time soon. I'm actually thinking maybe picking up a c63 when I start working.

She was in the marketing department. Did fashion week and some crazy parties to celebrate the SLS. Toured some parts manufacturing plant. Said it was pretty cool. I think she said they had a matte black cl63 or something like that in the lobby. Apparently they were on a hiring freeze and weren't taking on any new employes when she was there so she isn't there now. Think she still keeps in touch with her boss though and wants to get in if she has the opportunity.
JayKay335i is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2011, 02:12 AM   #141
hl0m4n
Brigadier General
 
hl0m4n's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NY

Posts: 4,838
iTrader: (41)

o damn, when did you beat me in post count. used market is def where its at by the time you and i start working, just not looking forward to what gas prices are then though...
__________________
Cars: 07 335i ► 09 328i ► 11 328xi ► 13 M3
Reviews: 335i Supersprint Exhaust, C/F Trim Wrap, Alcantara Boots, VMR V710, Saikou Michi OCC, Royal Steering Wheel
For Sale:
Want To Buy:
hl0m4n is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2011, 02:16 AM   #142
JayKay335i
Banned
 
Drives: ///M323 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Dakota; its best DUHHHHHH

Posts: 5,047
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
o damn, when did you beat me in post count. used market is def where its at by the time you and i start working, just not looking forward to what gas prices are then though...
Gas prices and what to do with a 500hp RWD commuter car in the snow would be the only 2 things holding me back. The used market will definitely be prime for them in a couple years. Even now you can get some great deals.
JayKay335i is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2011, 02:19 AM   #143
hl0m4n
Brigadier General
 
hl0m4n's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NY

Posts: 4,838
iTrader: (41)

i know you ain't keeping that stock either. tune and exhaust will boost another 50whp i believe or more, so easy to get gains on that car. we can easily get a used 997 tt by that time especially with the new 998/991 models around the corner.

me wants a used 430 scud in my future

why u no stay with bmw family
__________________
Cars: 07 335i ► 09 328i ► 11 328xi ► 13 M3
Reviews: 335i Supersprint Exhaust, C/F Trim Wrap, Alcantara Boots, VMR V710, Saikou Michi OCC, Royal Steering Wheel
For Sale:
Want To Buy:
hl0m4n is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2011, 02:27 AM   #144
JayKay335i
Banned
 
Drives: ///M323 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Dakota; its best DUHHHHHH

Posts: 5,047
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
i know you ain't keeping that stock either. tune and exhaust will boost another 50whp i believe or more, so easy to get gains on that car. we can easily get a used 997 tt by that time especially with the new 998/991 models around the corner.

me wants a used 430 scud in my future

why u no stay with bmw family
I mean I love my car. But what else is there really? I wouldn't want an M3 as a DD. I think the 6s are ugly as sin. M5s are sick but I still dont really need a car that big.

I dont think the prices on the 997s will fall too much by then. Still will be way out of my reach, easily 2-3x the price of a c63.
JayKay335i is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2011, 02:30 AM   #145
ghosthi32
Banned
 
Drives: Water camel
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: strait of hormuz

Posts: 2,516
iTrader: (0)

circle jerk itt
ghosthi32 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2011, 02:33 AM   #146
hl0m4n
Brigadier General
 
hl0m4n's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NY

Posts: 4,838
iTrader: (41)

you not an m3 fan? used gtr? 997 tt used right now are like $75k i don't see it too long before they in the $60ks...
__________________
Cars: 07 335i ► 09 328i ► 11 328xi ► 13 M3
Reviews: 335i Supersprint Exhaust, C/F Trim Wrap, Alcantara Boots, VMR V710, Saikou Michi OCC, Royal Steering Wheel
For Sale:
Want To Buy:
hl0m4n is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2011, 02:50 AM   #147
JayKay335i
Banned
 
Drives: ///M323 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Dakota; its best DUHHHHHH

Posts: 5,047
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
you not an m3 fan? used gtr? 997 tt used right now are like $75k i don't see it too long before they in the $60ks...
M3s are cool but I wouldn't want one for a DD. It be a really fun track car but even then I probably wouldn't want one. I'll probably try and keep it to the 30-40s. Figure if you buy a used 997tt or a used GTR how much money you'll be dropping on mods and maintenance. Itll be rape. Save that for when I'm a bit older. OTOH, I'd just kill my self in one of those cars.
JayKay335i is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2011, 08:29 AM   #148
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
 
BrokenVert's Avatar
 
Drives: Topless Electric Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fahrvergnügen

Posts: 9,799
iTrader: (0)

Damn I wanted that BMW internship. Actually, I wanted any internship. I had one until the first week of april. Then I got a call that said, hey were really sorry. But the funding for our program got cut and we can't hire you.

It's just like seriously? You tell ms this late in the game and expect me to be able to find another job?

Now I get to find a job at the outlet mall and hope it doesn't blow as much as I think it will.

Just get a 135 as a DD Im being completely serious, they aren't that expensive and they're really comfortable on long trips into the city.
__________________
BrokenVert is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
btm hates everything, btm pwnd tiag fuuu, collin does online school, cometsucksofftiag, jaykay = dumbshit, jaykay = worst poster, tiag335igotskeetedon, tiaglovescometsp*ssy, tk-421<3hismotherpussy, tk-421gote46lol

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST