BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
OneEighty
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-15-2011, 04:18 PM   #67
Silverstone
Lieutenant
 
Silverstone's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M3 E93 M DCT SILVERSTONE
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Saudi Arabia

Posts: 534
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
+1 on my second e92 m3. could give a damn how well the 1m performs. I don't like the looks of the 1.
Yes 1M is a small beast, But i still don't care...I like the fact that the M3 is a large car, You can take it to dinner and step out from it wearing a suit nicely...i don't see that happening with a 1M. oh Snap !!!

Yes i would like to own a 1M for Jokes, but i wouldnt think twice if i was comparing it with an M3.
__________________
Silverstone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-15-2011, 04:26 PM   #68
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,834
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Turbo View Post
Of course they are full of it. The real M is the M3, period. 1M is a midget BMW on stereoids. 1 series look ugly and unbalanced to begin with. Every time I see a 135 there is a young kid sitting in it with his buddy, they are both sitting like I sit on my couch to watch movies on saturday so you can hardly see their face. The only reason they buy this car is because they cannot afford the 335. Same thing goes for the 1M and the M3. So there is no point of even arguing. 1 series is just ugly M or no M.
Funny I bought a 135i over a 335i because it was a lot more fun to drive. Money had absolutely nothing to do with it.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #69
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
 
Voltigeur's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: TX

Posts: 2,519
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
+1 on my second e92 m3. could give a damn how well the 1m performs.
I surmise you mean could'NT (ie, 'could not') give a damn. "Could" means you care.

But we got the gist
__________________

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Voltigeur is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #70
Papethova
Brigadier General
 
Papethova's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: at Death Valley 127

Posts: 3,037
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstone View Post
Yes 1M is a small beast, But i still don't care...I like the fact that the M3 is a large car, You can take it to dinner and step out from it wearing a suit nicely...i don't see that happening with a 1M. oh Snap !!!

Yes i would like to own a 1M for Jokes, but i wouldnt think twice if i was comparing it with an M3.
Thats a GREAT point, IF you can only have one car. "oh snap !!!" I wont be driving my 1 to dinner, and I wont be driving it when I wear a suit. Its strictly just for fun. Smaller, lighter, and more tossable. Fills a role the M3 cant, simply for the reason you stated "M3 is a large car".
Papethova is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-15-2011, 07:09 PM   #71
Silverstone
Lieutenant
 
Silverstone's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M3 E93 M DCT SILVERSTONE
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Saudi Arabia

Posts: 534
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
Thats a GREAT point, IF you can only have one car. "oh snap !!!" I wont be driving my 1 to dinner, and I wont be driving it when I wear a suit. Its strictly just for fun. Smaller, lighter, and more tossable. Fills a role the M3 cant, simply for the reason you stated "M3 is a large car".
Basically 1M is Fun and M3 is Classy Fun.
__________________
Silverstone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-15-2011, 07:22 PM   #72
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,834
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstone View Post
Yes 1M is a small beast, But i still don't care...I like the fact that the M3 is a large car, You can take it to dinner and step out from it wearing a suit nicely...i don't see that happening with a 1M. oh Snap !!!

Yes i would like to own a 1M for Jokes, but i wouldnt think twice if i was comparing it with an M3.
The large size (and the weight it brings) it what I hate most about the M3 and I don't even own a suit.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-15-2011, 07:27 PM   #73
Silverstone
Lieutenant
 
Silverstone's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M3 E93 M DCT SILVERSTONE
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Saudi Arabia

Posts: 534
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
The large size (and the weight it brings) it what I hate most about the M3 and I don't even own a suit.
That the thing, all this talk and it all comes down to lifestyle. Its not about money coz i honestly dont like talking about money and who can afford it and who cant. A BMW product will always be a product i support because i believe in the company. Even if it does not fit my lifestyle.
__________________
Silverstone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #74
Papethova
Brigadier General
 
Papethova's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: at Death Valley 127

Posts: 3,037
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstone View Post
That the thing, all this talk and it all comes down to lifestyle. Its not about money coz i honestly dont like talking about money and who can afford it and who cant. A BMW product will always be a product i support because i believe in the company. Even if it does not fit my lifestyle.
Papethova is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 03:49 AM   #75
Advevo
Captain
 
Drives: White 1M
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Country where the taxes are too high!!

Posts: 911
iTrader: (0)

The ugly comments about the 1M is a big laugh. People who can drive choose certain cars because they handle well and they are a challenge to drive on the limit. The agile feel and the point and shoot cars are far more important than looks.

I have also a GT3. They look like flat beetles. But boy do they deliver. I prefer a GT3 over a nicer looking lambo anyday. But thats all about driving dynamics.

I don t choose a car to pimp up with big rims with stretched tires, carbon front lips and mirror caps etc and show it at cars and coffee. If that s youre thing fine by me but i rather go max attack on track and enjoy lots of sideways actions.

The car has to do deliver in driving dynamics so i can have maximum fun in driving.
Advevo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 08:41 AM   #76
ChrisK
Brigadier General
 
ChrisK's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: IL

Posts: 4,860
iTrader: (4)

My 2 cents...

I had an early '08 135i and I like the 1M. I even had my name on a list before the 1M was official announced.

Everything the 135i lacked (forget power), the M3 had. Better seats, better suspension, better interior materials, more room, etc. Of course you also pay for this. That being said, I went with the M3.

Both are great cars, but they target different groups.
__________________

2011 E92 M3: AW/BLK • DCT
Europäische Lieferung am 6. August 2010
ChrisK is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 08:56 AM   #77
Nine
Banned
 
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.
Join Date: May 2010
Location: DC, Miami, NYC

Posts: 1,925
iTrader: (2)

The problem is the journalism, the article writing - it's misleading and lacks facts. All of these magazines are trying to sell a story, "autoblog picks 1M over M3", "335is competes with M3" - I promise you that these articles are written to get attention. To draw people to read, I'm sure the 1M is a great package, I'm sure it represents the M division well. All of these articles promote debates about who is faster, which is the better package. The journalists want to stir it up, they want people to say Holy **** the 1M is better than the M3. I wouldn't be surprised if some magazines fudge track #s for sales purposes.

If you wanted a dual duty track and commuter car, I'd say that the M3 has a bigger trunk, more space, offers a 4-door option, EDC and DCT. But if you wanted to save 15-20k, the 1M makes a great runner-up.
Nine is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 09:11 AM   #78
Strongbark
Brigadier General
 
Strongbark's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 M4 on order
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Earth

Posts: 3,652
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
The ugly comments about the 1M is a big laugh. People who can drive choose certain cars because they handle well and they are a challenge to drive on the limit. The agile feel and the point and shoot cars are far more important than looks.

I have also a GT3. They look like flat beetles. But boy do they deliver. I prefer a GT3 over a nicer looking lambo anyday. But thats all about driving dynamics.

I don t choose a car to pimp up with big rims with stretched tires, carbon front lips and mirror caps etc and show it at cars and coffee. If that s youre thing fine by me but i rather go max attack on track and enjoy lots of sideways actions.

The car has to do deliver in driving dynamics so i can have maximum fun in driving.
Well said.
Strongbark is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #79
Erhan
Colonel
 
Erhan's Avatar
 
Drives: Cooper S
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle

Posts: 2,466
iTrader: (0)

I really don't care which market 1M or M3 is for. I also care less about styling. I don't have anything to prove to anyone by buying an M3. I don't care its social status. Even if 1M is the ricer car of bimmers, I would still buy it if it had S65 in it.

The ONLY reason that I won't buy one is the engine. If I was into turbo engines, there are many alternatives.
__________________
2011 MINI Cooper S
previous cars: E92 M3, Z4MC, Z4 Roadster, E36 328 Sedan
Erhan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #80
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
 
MVF4Rrider's Avatar
 
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Las Vegas NV

Posts: 2,060
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
Want facile torque: 1M. Want F1-derived - butterfly throttle high-rev - engine: M3 E9X.
F1 engines' idle speed is near the M3's redline. I wouldn't be so easy to compare the M3's engine to that of a F1 car.
__________________
'08 Carrera S 6MT Guards Red/Black ext leather, Carbon fiber pkg, sport exh, sport chrono +, PASM, Nav, Bose, 19" forged turbos, red tranny tunnel
'07 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 1+1, Corse Red/Silver, RG3 race pipes and factory race ECU
MVF4Rrider is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 12:26 PM   #81
Papethova
Brigadier General
 
Papethova's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: at Death Valley 127

Posts: 3,037
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
The problem is the journalism, the article writing - it's misleading and lacks facts. All of these magazines are trying to sell a story, "autoblog picks 1M over M3", "335is competes with M3" - I promise you that these articles are written to get attention. To draw people to read, I'm sure the 1M is a great package, I'm sure it represents the M division well. All of these articles promote debates about who is faster, which is the better package. The journalists want to stir it up, they want people to say Holy **** the 1M is better than the M3. I wouldn't be surprised if some magazines fudge track #s for sales purposes.

If you wanted a dual duty track and commuter car, I'd say that the M3 has a bigger trunk, more space, offers a 4-door option, EDC and DCT. But if you wanted to save 15-20k, the 1M makes a great runner-up.
Im with you 110% here up to the last line. There are reasons (wheelbase, weight) beyond saving 15-20k to opt for the 1 over the 3, and its no runner up in that case. Also, not wanting any of the aforementioned things is central to my choice. I want a smaller trunk, less space, 2 doors, 6MT, not a dual duty car. I can see looking into an M3 if I wanted all of that though.. and since the RS4 is extinct there really is only one choice.
Papethova is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #82
Papethova
Brigadier General
 
Papethova's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: at Death Valley 127

Posts: 3,037
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
So why not buy a Cayman S/R or a Lotus? Those are far better drivers tools that fit exactly what youre looking for (smaller trunk, 2 drs, 6mt, etc).
Im considering a GT3 RS so the Cayman isnt on my radar, definitely wouldnt want or need both).

Lotus is too bare bones for me (I own a raw car already). I will look into some of the new ones they have going around the show circuit this year, but they dont fit into the 1M niche. I was very surprised with the 135.

I want to have a BMW, so if I replace one of my other cars with a BMW then the 1M would fall out of favor. I was hoping to get a new M5 but im not a fan of the styling.

In the end the 1M is more flexible than the P cars and most importantly for me allows me to add a drastically different high dollar car to my garage later this summer. Im trying to fit pieces together to reach that particular goal.
Papethova is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #83
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 1,938
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankzlin79 View Post
1M is really for a different type of person. I don't think M3 will be affected by much...but 135i sales might.
Bingo. Not sure why anybody would bother with the 2012 135i (with it's huge price increase) when a lightly optioned 1M can be had for not a whole lot more. If performance is your primary concern, that's a no-brainer.

M3 hit's a bit different buyer/demographic
Brandon26pdx is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 01:03 PM   #84
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 1,938
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Speaking from a neutral perspective (dont own either 1er of M3) I have to disagree. Seeing the way each party treats the other on their respective boards I would say the M3 crowd is way more hostile to the 1M crowd. The 1M crowd is excited because, like you said, it compares favorably to the M3 which is the performance benchmark of the brand. But people on here are getting ridiculous saying how ugly the 1M is, how its an entry level car, not a real M car, etc etc. Seems to me like the 1M crowd is sort of paying respect to the M3 by setting it as the benchmark while some M3 owners have nothing but terrible things to say about it for one reason or another. Its amazing how a new M car (which should be a good thing right?) can make some people so angry
It's the "younger, cuter sister" syndrome, even though I disagree that the 1M is "better". The M3 crowd of course has more ego on the line when some new hotshot comes along that's $12k cheaper and nips at it's heels so closely in terms of performance.
Brandon26pdx is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #85
Mr.Metak2you
Brigadier General
 
Mr.Metak2you's Avatar
 
Drives: LEXUS LS(DailyDriver)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Posts: 4,752
iTrader: (15)

Garage List
Well, I did not include quotes from individuals who said they preferred the looks of the M3 or even said they don't really like the looks of the 1M, because that's reasonable that not everyone is going to like it. But UGLY? Anyone who says that, looses credibility in my book. There are truly ugly cars out there that I reserve that statement for.

To be quite honest I really wasn't crazy about the 1series before the 1M was developed, but the M division did a great job. I have read about a dozen reviews of this car and while all have extremely positive, none have said the 1M is outright better than the M3, but instead some have said they would rather have it as their DD/track. It's just a preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucewonder View Post
If money wasn't the issue, anyone saying they would pick a 1M over an M3 is full of it.....
After owning every M3 since the E36, an Mcoupe(Z4) and an M6 money is not really a factor in choosing to buy a 1M. But I guess I am just "full of it" because I went from owning an M3 E90 to 1M....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
1M is ugly... I don't care how fast it is.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11 View Post
.....the 1M is quite ugly....I don't think I could bear looking at it every day......
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihyln View Post
1M is quite ugly......
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post
Really well put. To me the 1 series, M included, is ugly, period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackberry View Post
That car is so ugly
....
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11 View Post
.....
While I like performance, I'm not paying that much money for such an ugly car. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Turbo View Post
The real M is the M3, period. 1M is a midget BMW on stereoids. 1 series look ugly and unbalanced to begin with. Every time I see a 135 there is a young kid sitting in it with his buddy, they are both sitting like I sit on my couch to watch movies on saturday so you can hardly see their face. The only reason they buy this car is because they cannot afford the 335. Same thing goes for the 1M and the M3. So there is no point of even arguing. 1 series is just ugly M or no M.
The M3 is more sleek and sexier IMO, but the 1M has a bit of a retro, meaner(just look at the flared fenders) look about it that I find irresistible. I think a true car enthusiast can appreciate different cars for different reasons, that is what separates them from the fanbois.





For those that like the 1M, I have added link for a new commercial in the UK for it, enjoy:

__________________

Last edited by Mr.Metak2you; 05-16-2011 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Added 1M commercial link
Mr.Metak2you is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #86
devo
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: .2GT3/335Cpe/991 GT3 coming
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: thinking about cars, girls and money, not necessarily in that order.

Posts: 1,942
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
Last time I checked Porsche also offered plenty of turbo models.
Plenty???
devo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 01:33 PM   #87
devo
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: .2GT3/335Cpe/991 GT3 coming
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: thinking about cars, girls and money, not necessarily in that order.

Posts: 1,942
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
The ugly comments about the 1M is a big laugh. People who can drive choose certain cars because they handle well and they are a challenge to drive on the limit. The agile feel and the point and shoot cars are far more important than looks.

I have also a GT3. They look like flat beetles. But boy do they deliver. I prefer a GT3 over a nicer looking lambo anyday. But thats all about driving dynamics.

I don t choose a car to pimp up with big rims with stretched tires, carbon front lips and mirror caps etc and show it at cars and coffee. If that s youre thing fine by me but i rather go max attack on track and enjoy lots of sideways actions.

The car has to do deliver in driving dynamics so i can have maximum fun in driving.

Agreed! I was planning to buy a 1M as my DD but the stealer offered far too little for my 21k mile 335 Xi coupe. The M3 and 1M are just different flavors of M. However I am certain that a 1M would be loads of fun. Faster is not always more fun. The turbo engine does not take away from the brand at all imo.
devo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 09:51 PM   #88
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,834
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Agreed! I was planning to buy a 1M as my DD but the stealer offered far too little for my 21k mile 335 Xi coupe. The M3 and 1M are just different flavors of M. However I am certain that a 1M would be loads of fun. Faster is not always more fun. The turbo engine does not take away from the brand at all imo.
I think the turbo engine takes away from the fun, but the 1M gets it back with the shorter wheelbase and lighter weight.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST