BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

Mporium BMW

05-05-2011, 10:32 AM   #23
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicehead View Post
Hey, I never told you that...!?

Work every muscle. Just because it gets "secondary" exercise doesn't mean you shouldn't work it. If this was the case, you wouldn't have to work triceps because they get worked when you do chest.

Don't listen to juiceheads (real ones)...
hahahaaa you joined! lol

But ya I work pretty much every muscle and while i do get a little pump on other days, my biceps look huge when I work them out separately.

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 04:39 PM   #24
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

I think it really just depends on what you are trying to do. If you want massive biceps, yea you need work them more.

If you are focusing on core overall body strength for stuff like MMA, Crossfit, Olympic lifting, etc. then no, you don't need to.
      05-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #25
fire_mike
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine White e90 335i

If you want massive biceps, you need to work the large muscle groups of your body. You body wants to balance things out. For example, if you do nothing but bicep curls and don't do anything at all for you tri's, shoulders, or back, your biceps will not continue to grow huge. You wouldn't have the supporting muscles to counteract the biceps, so your body won't continue to build them.

I rarely do bi or tri exercises. I do a lot of multi-joint movements including squats, deadlifts, pull-ups, bench press type stuff (bar bench, db bench, pushups, etc.), shoulder presses, etc. I get a good workout to my bi and tri's doing this. Sometimes I will knock out a couple sets of curls or tricep dips at the very end of a workout just to get an extra burn.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #26
aarwilli
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i Coupe

Personally I value gaining strength over having HUGE pipes for arms. I would focus on compound movements such as pull ups and chin up and your biceps will come along as they need to help move your body weight. In fact I hate people who insist on curling in the squat rack and can usually out curl them with rarely ever touching the specific workout.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #27
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire_mike View Post
. Sometimes I will knock out a couple sets of curls or tricep dips at the very end of a workout just to get an extra burn.
I do the exact same thing
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #28
fire_mike
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine White e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarwilli View Post
Personally I value gaining strength over having HUGE pipes for arms. I would focus on compound movements such as pull ups and chin up and your biceps will come along as they need to help move your body weight. In fact I hate people who insist on curling in the squat rack and can usually out curl them with rarely ever touching the specific workout.
I completely agree.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #29
E92Snake
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i/ Jet Black / Saddle

Quote:
Mainly when I do pull ups they are a wide grip type, so lats are more involved.

Curling in the squat rack is really annoying, ppl just don't want to bend over to pick the weight up i suppose?

I would go as high weight as possible, keeping strict form and as many sets as possible per body part. I train to failure on every body part. With proper diet and supplementation, they will have no choice but to grow!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 06:42 PM   #30
aarwilli
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Snake View Post
Curling in the squat rack is really annoying, ppl just don't want to bend over to pick the weight up i suppose?
I have a shirt that says "NO CURLING IN THE SQUAT RACK!" for just such occasions
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #31
E92Snake
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire_mike View Post
If you want massive biceps, you need to work the large muscle groups of your body. You body wants to balance things out. For example, if you do nothing but bicep curls and don't do anything at all for you tri's, shoulders, or back, your biceps will not continue to grow huge. You wouldn't have the supporting muscles to counteract the biceps, so your body won't continue to build them.

I rarely do bi or tri exercises. I do a lot of multi-joint movements including squats, deadlifts, pull-ups, bench press type stuff (bar bench, db bench, pushups, etc.), shoulder presses, etc. I get a good workout to my bi and tri's doing this. Sometimes I will knock out a couple sets of curls or tricep dips at the very end of a workout just to get an extra burn.
This is true, but goals would dictate the routine. Crossfit is cool, P90x is cool also...but if having big arms for the beach is a goal then its just not gonna happen with these routines.

Everyone is diff, I would not see any improvement in my bi or tri if i only did those exercises.

Now this is just my opinion and my observations btw...
Squats= ass/legs
Deads= hams/back
pull ups= back/lats
bench= chest

if I did a couple of sets of curls or dips I would never get a pump , i need about 45mins for bi's and 40 mins for tri's.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #32
E92Snake
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have a shirt that says "NO CURLING IN THE SQUAT RACK!" for just such occasions
HAHAHHA that's pretty funny, seen some funny gym shirts....but thats the best one!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 07:50 PM   #33
theriz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2017 F80 M3  [0.00]
2011 335i M-Sport  [4.00]
2015 M3  [0.00]
2009 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
This is true, but goals would dictate the routine. Crossfit is cool, P90x is cool also...but if having big arms for the beach is a goal then its just not gonna happen with these routines.

Everyone is diff, I would not see any improvement in my bi or tri if i only did those exercises.

Squats= ass/legs
Deads= hams/back
pull ups= back/lats
bench= chest

if I did a couple of sets of curls or dips I would never get a pump , i need about 45mins for bi's and 40 mins for tri's.
i would say that too i only get pump when ive been working out a muscle group for at least 45 mins.. im going to have to try doing it until failure and see that works.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #34
aarwilli
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Squats= ass/legs
Deads= hams/back
pull ups= back/lats
bench= chest

IMHO:
Squats: Full body
Deads: Full body
Pull ups: most of upper body
Bench: most of upper body

Also there is some stuff I've read that pushing until failure isn't necessarily optimal... Tim Ferris did some studies and found better results were obtained doing a smaller prescribed amount of work than all the way to dead because of the toll it takes and the extension of recovery time that failure introduces. Just a thought... Now knowing what that Rx'd load is is the hard part
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 05:39 PM   #35
E92Snake
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
IMHO:
Squats: Full body
Deads: Full body
Pull ups: most of upper body
Bench: most of upper body

Also there is some stuff I've read that pushing until failure isn't necessarily optimal... Tim Ferris did some studies and found better results were obtained doing a smaller prescribed amount of work than all the way to dead because of the toll it takes and the extension of recovery time that failure introduces. Just a thought... Now knowing what that Rx'd load is is the hard part
Those movements all are for a foundation building, they will give you a good base. OP is asking about his biceps specifically, these will not do it. I could post a typical arm day for me and you might think its too much, but it works for me. I change it when it stops working, Everyone is diff. I think that we can agree though that without direct stimulation(curls and shit like that), his bi's will not grow as much/fast as they could.
When I do an set of something I go into it already thinking of how its going to feel, as in if I'm doing a pull up i will squeeze my back/lats and stretch them on the bottom. Sure you use a lot of supporting muscles in a movement, but if i relied on them to get a workout indirectly then I'd never grow...

You are right on the failure part...i have read that also, but after a certain point i plateau and need it. Recovery is not an issue with supplementation (but thats a whole diff topic on a whole diff board,lol),I train pretty hard...when i leave the gym i feel like i was just jumped by like 15 cholos with baseball bats! sets of 455lbs deads / good in 2 days.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #36
aarwilli
Second Lieutenant
Rep

455 lb Deads!! WOW! Impressive! I hurt my back sadly so have dropped a sh*t load of my capacity SUCKS!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 12:09 AM   #37
E92Snake
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

thats my top end set...i do 2 sets of it for about 4-6. I pyramid up then down, moving faster through weight going up
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 12:53 AM   #38
ben14142001
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

I personally don't do any biceps because I do 8-10 sets of pull-ups on back days. If you do enough pull-ups, especially weighted ones, you really shouldn't need to work biceps out separately.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 01:11 AM   #39
E92Snake
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

i guess it all depends on the goals you have...(the look you are trying to achieve,I.e. reynolds from the proposal or dwayne johnson from the other guys)
8-10 sets of weighed pull ups is outstanding! after t-bar rows,deads,bent over rows,lat pull downs and a few other machines theres no way i can do more than about 8 pull ups at the end of my workout.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 01:17 AM   #40
ben14142001
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

^ Yeah, that's usually my measurement if I did enough, if I can do >10 pullups after all those weighted ones, I do another set, haha. I do a push-pull with pull-ups and military press and it usually works out pretty well with the antagonist muscle groups. The only problem I've found with weighted pull-ups is that they seem put a decent stressor on the shoulder joint, especially wider grips.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 03:29 AM   #41
E92Snake
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

yes, i've seen this also... i get it in my side/rear delts pretty bad if my back is done and i push through wide grips. Mil presses hurt my shoulders so bad! If i do them too much my traps start to get a pump...it gets ugly and painfull, ends up looking like im wearing football pads,lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 11:38 PM   #42
EngineCo52
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Montego 328xi CPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
So i was talking to this juice head that works at starbucks and he laughed at me when I told him I do legs and biceps in one day. And I quote "brahh you don't need to work your biceps out, they get enough exercise when you're doing other muscles." I donno how I feel about this but if I don't work my biceps out they don't look as big.

Any truth to this?
im pretty sure this juice head was hitting on you...i think he was talkin about u snapping off some knuckle children lmao
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 07:05 PM   #43
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben14142001 View Post
I personally don't do any biceps because I do 8-10 sets of pull-ups on back days. If you do enough pull-ups, especially weighted ones, you really shouldn't need to work biceps out separately.
I agree with E92snake. It depends on what your goals are. I like to work out my arms because I want them to grow above and beyond. And by doing seperate arm workouts I have some pretty large arms. I leave my back days to focus strictly on my back and if I get some bi pumps while doing so thats great but it is not enough for me to consider an arm work out.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 01:17 PM   #44
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Silly boy.

If you want to work your bis, you need a faster internet connection for more pron. . .
Appreciate 0