BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

EclipsisNA

05-03-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
M3Bahn
Lieutenant

Drives: M3

White House modifies Osama bin Laden account

The White House backed away Monday evening from key details in its narrative about the raid that killed Osama bin Laden, including claims by senior U.S. officials that the Al Qaeda leader had a weapon and may have fired it during a gun battle with U.S. forces.

Officials also retreated from claims that one of bin Laden’s wives was killed in the raid and that bin Laden was using her as a human shield before she was shot by U.S. forces.

At a televised White House briefing Monday afternoon, Deputy National Security Adviser John Brennan said bin Laden joined in the fight that several residents of the Abbottabad, Pakistan, compound put up against the Navy SEALs during the 40-minute operation.

“He [bin Laden] was engaged in a firefight with those that entered the area of the house he was in. And whether or not he got off any rounds, I quite frankly don’t know,” Brennan said.

At a Pentagon briefing earlier in the day, a senior defense official said bin Laden used a woman as a human shield so he could fire shots. “He was firing behind her,” the official said.

In another background briefing early Monday morning, a senior administration official also said bin Laden put up a fight. “He did resist the assault force. And he was killed in a firefight,” the official said.

However, during a background, off-camera briefing for television reporters later Monday, a senior White House official said bin Laden was not armed when he was killed, apparently by the U.S. raid team.

Another White House official familiar with the TV briefing confirmed the change to POLITICO, adding, “I’m not aware of him having a weapon.”

“The bottom line is the team that entered that room was met with resistance and took appropriate action,” said a third American official.

The White House on Monday night declined to elaborate on the nature of the resistance bin Laden allegedly put up. However, an official confirmed that the Al Qaeda founder was shot twice, once in the head and once in the chest.

At the Monday evening briefing for TV reporters, a senior official also corrected what Brennan described earlier as “my understanding” that the woman who acted as a shield for bin Laden was one of his wives and was killed.

“A different guy’s wife was killed,” a different official familiar with the briefing for TV reporters said Monday night. Bin Laden’s wife was “injured but not killed,” the official said.

Another official familiar with the operation said it did not appear that any woman was used as a human shield, but that the woman killed and the one injured were hurt in the crossfire. The official said he believed Brennan had mixed up the episode involving bin Laden’s wife with another encounter elsewhere in the compound.

“Two women were shot here. It sounds like their fates were mixed up,” said the U.S. official. “This is hours old and the full facts are still being ascertained as those involved are debriefed.”

In another discrepancy, Brennan said during his on-the-record briefing that bin Laden’s son Khalid was killed in the attack. However, the official White House transcript had the counterterrorism adviser saying it was another son, Hamza, who perished in the raid.

The White House didn’t offer a reason for any of the changes. However, Brennan noted during his televised briefing that his information came from reports from the scene as well as live video feeds of the raid. “I wasn’t there,” he said.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories...#ixzz1LJGR7zSH
      05-03-2011, 12:10 PM   #2
11Series

Drives: BMW turned up to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bahn View Post
The White House backed away Monday evening from key details in its narrative about the raid that killed Osama bin Laden, including claims by senior U.S. officials that the Al Qaeda leader had a weapon and may have fired it during a gun battle with U.S. forces.

Officials also retreated from claims that one of bin Laden’s wives was killed in the raid and that bin Laden was using her as a human shield before she was shot by U.S. forces.

At a televised White House briefing Monday afternoon, Deputy National Security Adviser John Brennan said bin Laden joined in the fight that several residents of the Abbottabad, Pakistan, compound put up against the Navy SEALs during the 40-minute operation.

“He [bin Laden] was engaged in a firefight with those that entered the area of the house he was in. And whether or not he got off any rounds, I quite frankly don’t know,” Brennan said.

At a Pentagon briefing earlier in the day, a senior defense official said bin Laden used a woman as a human shield so he could fire shots. “He was firing behind her,” the official said.

In another background briefing early Monday morning, a senior administration official also said bin Laden put up a fight. “He did resist the assault force. And he was killed in a firefight,” the official said.

However, during a background, off-camera briefing for television reporters later Monday, a senior White House official said bin Laden was not armed when he was killed, apparently by the U.S. raid team.

Another White House official familiar with the TV briefing confirmed the change to POLITICO, adding, “I’m not aware of him having a weapon.”

“The bottom line is the team that entered that room was met with resistance and took appropriate action,” said a third American official.

The White House on Monday night declined to elaborate on the nature of the resistance bin Laden allegedly put up. However, an official confirmed that the Al Qaeda founder was shot twice, once in the head and once in the chest.

At the Monday evening briefing for TV reporters, a senior official also corrected what Brennan described earlier as “my understanding” that the woman who acted as a shield for bin Laden was one of his wives and was killed.

“A different guy’s wife was killed,” a different official familiar with the briefing for TV reporters said Monday night. Bin Laden’s wife was “injured but not killed,” the official said.

Another official familiar with the operation said it did not appear that any woman was used as a human shield, but that the woman killed and the one injured were hurt in the crossfire. The official said he believed Brennan had mixed up the episode involving bin Laden’s wife with another encounter elsewhere in the compound.

“Two women were shot here. It sounds like their fates were mixed up,” said the U.S. official. “This is hours old and the full facts are still being ascertained as those involved are debriefed.”

In another discrepancy, Brennan said during his on-the-record briefing that bin Laden’s son Khalid was killed in the attack. However, the official White House transcript had the counterterrorism adviser saying it was another son, Hamza, who perished in the raid.

The White House didn’t offer a reason for any of the changes. However, Brennan noted during his televised briefing that his information came from reports from the scene as well as live video feeds of the raid. “I wasn’t there,” he said.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories...#ixzz1LJGR7zSH

Yea, so what's your point? They hadn't even finished debriefing the soldiers when the first accounts started coming out. A lot of folks here were saying Osama was killed with a bomb.

Are you just that desperate to find some fault with Obama taking out Osama that you are going to nit-pick tiny crap like this? It's war. Initial reports are often fuzzy. Deal with it.

05-03-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
InCityPhoto
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 07' 335I

One side wants to prove it wrong, the other wants to prove it right..

lol
InCityPhoto is offline   United_States
      05-03-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
M3Bahn
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Series View Post
Yea, so what's your point? They hadn't even finished debriefing the soldiers when the first accounts started coming out. A lot of folks here were saying Osama was killed with a bomb.

Are you just that desperate to find some fault with Obama taking out Osama that you are going to nit-pick tiny crap like this? It's war. Initial reports are often fuzzy. Deal with it.

You need to chill out.
Why do you take a news article as a threat?
On something this important they should have gotten details correct first time out.
      05-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
InCityPhoto
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 07' 335I

Quote:
You need to chill out.
On something this important they should have gotten details correct first time out.
Agreed
InCityPhoto is offline   United_States
      05-03-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard

Drives: 01 740i sport

Quote:
You need to chill out.
+1.

White House and all its puppets, had more then enough time to get all the facts straight and present them on Monday.
KGB7 is offline   United_States
      05-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner

Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Who knows about DNA testing?

I had heard Sunday night that they confirmed his ID via DNA testing, yet he was buried at sea within 24 hours to conform to Islamic rites???
UncleWede is offline   United_States
      05-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
JuuS
Private

Drives: 2009 135i

It was a hit. Pure and simple. They just can't admit it in the open. They could've easily said that bin Laden was holding a gun so US troops were just defending themselves. Would that make you feel better, OP?
JuuS is offline   Canada
      05-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #9
hks786
Major General

Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCityPhoto View Post
One side wants to prove it wrong, the other wants to prove it right..

lol
+1000

Instead I take another view. I say that we cannot know anything for sure. I know that does seem a bit extreme not believing anything at all but it's the best way.

Why are we arguing about what may or may not have happened in that building? None of us were there and can only rely on what the White House tells us. We already know what they said about WMD in Iraq. A mistake that cost $3 trillion and lost a lot of american/british and iraqi lives.

What I find amazing is that people will say "you must be crazy to think Bin Laden is not dead". That's because of the media. We all woke up to see Obama make an official announcement and footage of the compound with bloody floors. What makes the front page must be facts. The truth is there are endless possibilities. Osama may be alive or dead and may have died a long time ago like many previously thought.
      05-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #10
11Series

Drives: BMW turned up to 11

Quote:
Because it fuels these guys:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
What I find amazing is that people will say "you must be crazy to think Bin Laden is not dead". That's because of the media. We all woke up to see Obama make an official announcement and footage of the compound with bloody floors. What makes the front page must be facts. The truth is there are endless possibilities. Osama may be alive or dead and may have died a long time ago like many previously thought.
My apologies if I confused you with one of these guys, and you aren't.

If it were Obama's choice to decide exactly when to let out all the facts about killing Bin Laden, then I would agree with you. If they had all the time in the world to get all the facts to everyone, debrief the soldiers, etc, then everyone should have known all the facts.

This wasn't the case. The strike was done in the open, and speculation and rumors were running wild already even before the President announced it happened. They were under the gun, and they got out the best information they could, and what was important was that--

WE 'EFFING KILLED OSAMA BIN LADEN!!!

All the rest is completely unimportant in comparison to getting out that important piece of information

Last edited by 11Series; 05-03-2011 at 05:52 PM. Reason: remove profanity
      05-03-2011, 06:23 PM   #11
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard

Why is that i cant find the exact time and date when OBL was killed? But every news source knows that the fire fight was 40min long and the body was disposed of with in 24 hours later.

Its been two days and no one has any facts.
      05-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #12
scottwww
Brigadier General

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
They're still writing the script. You will know the full story when the Hollywood movie makes it to the big screen.

scottwww is offline   United_States
      05-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #13
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
They're still writing the script. You will know the full story when the Hollywood movie makes it to the big screen.

It better be in 4D.

05-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #14
M3Bahn
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post

In a world where OBL can be ded, once, twice and now he's back again for......
      05-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #15
scottwww
Brigadier General

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
In a world where OBL can be ded, once, twice and now he's back again for......
Oh yes... that's right. It has to have room for sequels.
scottwww is offline   United_States
      05-03-2011, 08:16 PM   #16
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard

Latest news just confirmed that Michael Bay is on the Presidents pay roll.
      05-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #17
M3Bahn
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB7 View Post
Why is that i cant find the exact time and date when OBL was killed? But every news source knows that the fire fight was 40min long and the body was disposed of with in 24 hours later.

Its been two days and no one has any facts.
Time zone confusion?