BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Closed Thread

05-01-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
deFuhrer
Over the Edge
Rep
Drives: 2010 MR E92 M3

mfest and 'Gang Mentality'

I've been lurking here for a while and with the recent mfest photo threads I wanted to put this out there. Can someone explain the 'gang mentality' behind mfest? I'm referring to the way people identify with this gathering as a matter of pride. The people that attend have mfest paraphernalia plastered all over their cars, which to me screams "YEAH DUDE WE'RE ALL PART OF THE SAME AWESOME CLIQUE F YEAH." Events like this are the BMW equivalent of a pride parade. Instead of people driving their BMWs and being quietly content with them, they have to scream from rooftops that they're BMW owners and attend these events that are nothing more than a giant self-congratulating circle jerk.

BMW buyers used to be classy and restrained, and now with the popularity of something like mfest, it seems like dudebros have hijacked the brand and turned it into the domain of wannabe thugs and gaudy mods from the likes of GTHaus (the great scammers that they are), AC Schnitzer, and Vorsteiner. Forward-thinking companies like IND are one of the few exceptions to this trend by putting out consistently tasteful and appropriate work. It's too bad they're the exception and not the rule.

I'll probably get flamed for this post but no worries. Regarding the aforementioned gang mentality, this is what I'm talking about:

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
fastrack
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11 MW e92 M3

Mineral White + HRE + Brembo + Eisenmann + Challenge = Perfection
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
HadiF82
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

lol i wouldnt call it a gang.

FYI mfest was a blast.
'11 E92 ///M3 ZCP AW- Sold
'06 E46 ///M3 ZCP JB- Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #4
xchosun1x
FNG
United_States
Rep
Drives: JZB 2008 E92 M3 DCT

Try not to pass judgement on the mass based on the minority. I attended Mfest and found that there were ones who were proudly portraying their BMW love loudly and proudly. However, from what I saw, the masses were the understated car enthusiasts. In any group you'll have the extreme-istd.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
acuteperformance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 Audi R8 V8 | 15 BMW M4 YMB

Send a message via AIM to acuteperformance Send a message via MSN to acuteperformance
people love the brand. as long as no one gets hurt or offended i don't see a problem.

Michael
Owner
Acute Performance
ADV1 Gallery || IN STOCK ITEMS || H&R Lowering Springs || Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Front Lip & Diffuser || Burger Tuning JB4 || 1x1 Carbon Fiber Side Mirror || KW Sleeve Kit & Coilovers || IPE Exhaust || Color Matched Accessories

Contact sales@acuteperformance.com for pricing.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 02:42 PM   #6
iveman89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

They are a community of fans, same as the fan for any sport. There is nothing wrong with being happy. Im guessing that you dont like sports or support anything publicly. I think the word "Gang-Mentality" is being misused. They aren't doing anything bad. You should try one of these events then see what you think, maybe you'll like it.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
donovan
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 m3 AW, light package

I love BMW and cars in general that photo is interested though....

nice wheels

e46 m3 Black
Too many mods
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #8
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deFuhrer View Post
I've been lurking here for a while and with the recent mfest photo threads I wanted to put this out there. Can someone explain the 'gang mentality' behind mfest? I'm referring to the way people identify with this gathering as a matter of pride. The people that attend have mfest paraphernalia plastered all over their cars, which to me screams "YEAH DUDE WE'RE ALL PART OF THE SAME AWESOME CLIQUE F YEAH." Events like this are the BMW equivalent of a pride parade. Instead of people driving their BMWs and being quietly content with them, they have to scream from rooftops that they're BMW owners and attend these events that are nothing more than a giant self-congratulating circle jerk.

BMW buyers used to be classy and restrained, and now with the popularity of something like mfest, it seems like dudebros have hijacked the brand and turned it into the domain of wannabe thugs and gaudy mods from the likes of GTHaus (the great scammers that they are), AC Schnitzer, and Vorsteiner. Forward-thinking companies like IND are one of the few exceptions to this trend by putting out consistently tasteful and appropriate work. It's too bad they're the exception and not the rule.

I'll probably get flamed for this post but no worries. Regarding the aforementioned gang mentality, this is what I'm talking about:

I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I feel that this is just another form of profiling. You see one extreme and project that extreme onto the group as a whole. Kind of like how all asian's can't drive (I am one) and how all BMW drivers are pricks, and how all modified cars are ready for a street race, and of course, many other types of offensive profiling which I'll refrain from discussing due to the potential of a ban when simply mentioned.

If you had actually attended Mfest, and not simply seen some photos like the one above and decided to apply a very general conclusion based on such a small sample size, you might have concluded that Mfest may not simply be about dudebros, thugs, and gaudiness. Sure, there are some extreme exceptions, and these extreme exceptions tend to get a lot of exposure. There were many stock cars and tastefully modified cars in attendance, that may not have gotten much exposure. However, that's just like the news reporting on extremes. Normal and everyday don't capture the imagination of a news viewer, so they report on something that isn't.. You don't watch the news and just believe everything you hear, now do you? Same concept, in my opinion.

I apologize if any of this is poorly written. I'm currently working and running on 3 hours of sleep. Client billing is due tomorrow.

Edit: By the way, forgive me for asking, but why is it that, when you had been a long-time lurker, the first post you make is one such as this? I don't mean to be rude, I just question the motive. M3post is such a terrific community, I'm just curious as to why you decided to participate at this point in time, and not sooner. Surely there may have been other topics and discussions which would have caught your fancy earlier?

Last edited by LateBraking; 05-01-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #9
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

Ha ha ha, I hope to go at MFest one of these days. Like others said, I see nothing wrong with some enthousiasm as long as it stays safe and legal.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #10
Technic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by deFuhrer View Post

The BMW Prince really messed you up, uh?
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 02:59 PM   #11
acuteperformance
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 Audi R8 V8 | 15 BMW M4 YMB

Send a message via AIM to acuteperformance Send a message via MSN to acuteperformance
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The BMW Prince really messed you up, uh?
ADV1 Gallery || IN STOCK ITEMS || H&R Lowering Springs || Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Front Lip & Diffuser || Burger Tuning JB4 || 1x1 Carbon Fiber Side Mirror || KW Sleeve Kit & Coilovers || IPE Exhaust || Color Matched Accessories

Contact sales@acuteperformance.com for pricing.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 03:08 PM   #12
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Crazy Bimmer
BMW likes to call it a religion. One of their best commercials which features part of Bimmerfest.

05-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #13
llis
octane chick
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ms

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [5.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
As someone who went, I took it as a reflection of the people who attended. But I saw a wide variety of people ... within the realm of boys club. (Hundreds of attendees and only two women drivers on track day? In fact, I didn't meet any women drivers, just the one I already knew.) The parties were like frat parties in Vegas, not my cup of tea. But I didn't go for the parties, I went for the cars.

Of the decals etc., most of what I saw were tuning shop decals, tuning mod logos, etc. And the guys I talked with (mostly on track day) were really nice. Drivers, tuning shop guys, vendors, sponsors.... Yes, there can be jerks, but there are jerks everywhere. Just look out the window while driving on the freeway.

I will say this: MFest is not about stock classic BMWs, it's about ///Ms -- modded ///Ms, mostly stock ///Ms (like mine), and other models modded and enhanced to look and perform like ///Ms. Just walking the MFest parking area in the garage was a treat!

I haven't attended Bimmerfest or Octoberfest, but I would imagine those events are quite different, with different emphases. I hope to find out.

2013 E92 ///M3 ZCP 6MT Speed Yellow 2003 E39 ///M5
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #14
GOLFFRR
Rep

Drives: Golf Cart

we are sponsors of MFEST and i have been part of and friends with a lot of the mfest guys for 4 years now. It really is a great group of guys that are all very friendly and respectful to others. Mfest is actually getting so big its branching out to all cars. The M is for Motorsport. I wouldn't call it a gang but more of a family.

go on Mfest.com and scan the forums everyone is very very respectful to one another and to all new members.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL US FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Need a quote or assistance from David? GO HERE-->bmwdavid@icloud.com or 202-262-2900
Having trouble getting a hold of David? PM me.Im available everyday till 645pm!!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 03:45 PM   #15
Khyber
Rep
Drives: 2007 E60 M5

Hey,

I got sent this thread on M5board. I know "BMW Prince personally", really friendly, open guy. He would go out of his way to help anyone. That photo was taken while the helicopter was taking video and photos, it wasn't like we we were just driving to Vegas and he had the flag up the whole time, seems like someone jumped to conclusions. To the OP that is really far-stretched. I have created a network of friend through the BMW community and so fourth from Mfest. Every 2nd week we will all go out get a grab to eat and maybe a nice canyon drive. Is a couple ///M cars with Mfest decals gang activity?

I did events like Goldrush Rally, Targa Trophy, Luxury4play runs, some of the members and attendees might even be crazier than Mfester's. Look at Gumball 3000, should we label all this gang activity, anarchy at its finest? NO! Mfest is an event where you can drive your BMW or anything else and meet other car enthusiasts and have a blast and nothing more, come to Mfest next year and see for yourself, instead of assuming. Mfest really is an event where you could bring your family but just not to the night club at night, lol.

Just lastly, "YOU ARE TAKING THE PHOTO WAY OUT OF CONTEXT" helicopter filming for Mfest DVD while this photo was taken.

I will agree that "IND" is doing some great work. Very tasteful!

Last edited by Khyber; 05-01-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #16
constantin
Lieutenant
Madagascar
Rep
Drives: 4wheels

OP, gather your facts first.....that's all I have to say.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 03:50 PM   #17
Cptn Mo 703
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: my feet

Garage List
you should have bought a benz instead pal...

what gives you the right to bash GTHaus, ACS or Vorsteiner, if people want those products the more power to them, just because it doesn't float your boat doesn't mean its so called "gang mentality". FYI IND sells Vorsteiner!!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #18
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

def more of a family than a gang!

took my 135i last year (non-M) and my 911 Turbo this year (non-M) and was still received with kindness and have made several friends along the way. I challenge you to come to ANY event put on by these guys and see for yourself what we're all about!