BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-29-2011, 06:00 PM   #23
Brosef
Colonel
 
Brosef's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago

Posts: 2,229
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8dawg View Post
Also the compression ratio is less in the Z06. Basically the M3 engine is working harder to make the power.
well of course it is; it needs the higher compression ratio to make up for its smaller displacement. if you read my post again, you'll see that my point was simply that a PART of the reason (and I didn't even say a big part) that the M3 gets worse mileage than a vette is because of the added weight.
Brosef is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2011, 06:14 PM   #24
991GT3
Captain
 
991GT3's Avatar
 
Drives: Cayenne Turbo
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North Dakota

Posts: 739
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737Drvr View Post
I disagree with you! Consider this, the Veyron is a $1.5 million plus vehicle. Now look at the Porsche 911 Turbo S. It rings in at $165,000 and does 0-60 in 2.6. The veyron takes 2.5. Tell me that isn't bang for the buck performance. I wouldn't want to pull up next to the Turbo S at any light or drag strip unless I was either in another Turbo S or Veyron. Yes the Corvette is less expensive and a great bang for the buck car and I'm glad to see GM to continuing to improve it. However, sorry to burst you bubble, but it is just not in the same league. I know, I've owned both.
Really? Even though I'm not a huge fan of the Corvette it definitely is quite a bargain(Z06 and ZR1). A Turbo S is a great car and is a relative performance bargain but not in the Vette(or GTR)league.
And using a 0-60 time as your yardstick is really really narrow. A ZR1(and probably the new Z06) will run with a Turbo S on a track.
__________________
-2011 Cayenne Turbo
-2012 Cayenne Turbo
-2013 VelociRaptor 600
991GT3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #25
Brosef
Colonel
 
Brosef's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago

Posts: 2,229
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737Drvr View Post
I disagree with you! Consider this, the Veyron is a $1.5 million plus vehicle. Now look at the Porsche 911 Turbo S. It rings in at $165,000 and does 0-60 in 2.6. The veyron takes 2.5. Tell me that isn't bang for the buck performance. I wouldn't want to pull up next to the Turbo S at any light or drag strip unless I was either in another Turbo S or Veyron. Yes the Corvette is less expensive and a great bang for the buck car and I'm glad to see GM to continuing to improve it. However, sorry to burst you bubble, but it is just not in the same league. I know, I've owned both.
bang-for-the-buck performance is a difficult concept to debate because it's useless trying to quantify it.

example: is the turbo S really worth double the price of a Z06? how can you quantify what kind of performance you need for a car that costs twice as much? do you need twice the performance? if so, what does that mean? if the Vette costs half as much as the Turbo S, which does 0-60 in 2.6 seconds, does the Vette therefore only have to make it to 60 in 5.2 seconds to have the same bang-for-the-buck? you can see where I'm going here. it's a subjective concept that could be debated forever. you could say that the turbo S does have better bang-for-the-buck, and I couldn't objectively prove you wrong. having said that, I'm confident that the majority of people who know anything about cars would agree that the Vette provides better bang-for-the-buck performance than the turbo S. again, doesn't make you wrong, just makes you part of a minority with different values (sounds like you're a baller that has owned some exceptional cars).

0-60 is such a small part of the picture too, btw. the GT-R would certainly prove to be better bang-for-the-buck if that's the only dimension on which you choose to evaluate performance. the Vette's front-engine RWD layout puts it at an obvious disadvantage from a dig, and the differences narrow thereafter.
Brosef is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2011, 06:34 PM   #26
bobbyd1961
Banned
 
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: new jersey

Posts: 2,411
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erm324 View Post
After reading articles like this, and after seeing the new releases at the Jacob Javits auto show, I realize more and more that BMW is falling behind every year.

For example, I swore all the "bmw-haters" were wrong by saying the interior of the M3 is garbage (mine is fully loaded with fr extended leather and cf trim), but when I went to the auto show and sat in the isF and new C63, I realized that they were right and it really is nothing special

BMW has to step up, and step up without turbos but rather bigger displacement !
i was at the javits show today. i rather have M3 performance than worry about the glitz on the inside. M3 is the car they are all chasing and havent caught yet. i loved that 4 door aston martin. wow what a beautiful car and the concept lotus too.
bobbyd1961 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2011, 06:35 PM   #27
LarThaL
Colonel
 
LarThaL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Springfield, MA

Posts: 2,595
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
The following story was published on Thomson ONE:

( DJ ) 04/28 09:00AM PRESS RELEASE: Corvette Performance Reaches Higher in 2012

Interior enhancements, new performance packages highlight upgrades

DETROIT, April 28, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Chevrolet announced today that it
will once again elevate Corvette's performance capabilities with a series of
improvements for the 2012 model year that improve on-track performance and
on-road comfort. They include enhancements to the high-performance Z06 and ZR1
models as well as interior upgrades across the Corvette lineup.

Sports car fans will get their first look at the 2012 models -- including
the racing-inspired appearance of the Chevrolet Centennial Edition -- at a
special event this weekend at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green,
Ky. Production begins in July.
"We constantly strive to make the Corvette a better car on the road and the
track," says Tadge Juechter, Corvette vehicle line director and chief
engineer. "For 2012, the Corvette lineup achieves its highest performance
level ever, while at the same time being easier to drive and enjoy thanks to
several changes and new features inside the car."
Note to Editors: Videos, photos, and related information can be found along
with this release at http://media.gm.com.
New Michelin Cup ZP tires elevate Z06/ZR1 performance
Corvette's greater performance for 2012 begins with the new, optional
Michelin(R) Pilot(R) Sport Cup Zero Pressure tires, which are available on the
two highest-performing models, the lightweight, 505-hp (377 kW) Z06 and the
maximum-performance, 638-hp (476 kW) supercharged ZR1. They are
competition-oriented tires, optimized for warm, dry conditions to increase
cornering and handling capability.

When combined with the Corvette's exclusive Performance Traction Management
(PTM) technology -- which manages torque delivery for maximum performance --
the tires are expected to help set new benchmarks for Corvette performance.
Engineers estimate an 8-percent gain in maximum lateral acceleration, to more
than 1.1g, and improved braking distance. Testing at Virginia International
Raceway has demonstrated improvement of approximately three seconds per lap.
The Cup ZP tires were developed by the same Michelin engineers who develop
tires for Corvette Racing in the American Le Mans Series and are essentially
The following story was published on Thomson ONE:

For information on Thomson ONE go to www.thomson.com/financial
street-legal versions of a racing tire. They are included in the optional Z07
performance package on the Corvette Z06 and a new PDE performance package on
the ZR1. The 285/30-19 (front) and 335/25-20 (rear) tires are matched with
all-new aluminum Cup-style wheels in satin black or machined finishes. They
are about five pounds lighter (2.2 kg) and stronger than the 20-spoke wheel
offered in 2011.

Performance Traction Management (offered on the Z06 for the first time in
2012) is an advanced system that optimizes traction for greater and more
consistent on-track performance. The system also integrates traction control,
active handling and selective ride control systems to enhance race track
driving consistency and overall performance. When full throttle is applied
upon exiting a corner, it automatically manages acceleration dynamics.
A full-width racing-style spoiler for improved aerodynamics is also included
in both the '12 Z07 and PDE packages. The Z06 model will now offer Magnetic
Selective Ride Control, the world's fastest-reacting suspension technology --
an innovation Corvette pioneered several years ago. And as before, Brembo
carbon ceramic brakes will be a part of the Z07 chassis package (they are
standard on ZR1). Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires remain standard on the ZR1.
A carbon fiber hood will be an available option on 2012 Z06 models, while
the standard manual transmission for ZR1 will include taller gearing in fifth
and sixth gears, for a 2-mpg improvement in highway fuel economy.
Interior and feature changes

All 2012 Corvette models will include a new seat design and a new steering
wheel. The seats feature larger bolsters on the seat back and cushion areas,
which provide better driver support, especially in high-performance driving
while remaining comfortable for daily street driving. Microfiber suede seat
inserts are optional and improve tactile feel, as well as add additional
support.

The new seats are complemented by the revised steering wheel, featuring
model-specific badges, streamlined switch trim and wrapped spokes. Padded
center console and armrests for all models are now included for 2012. An
additional visual touch inside the car is contrasting color stitching -- in
red, blue and yellow -- which is available with the custom leather-wrapped
The following story was published on Thomson ONE:
For information on Thomson ONE go to www.thomson.com/financial
interior.

Also coming in 2012 is a new Bose uplevel audio system, which includes nine
speakers (compared to seven in 2011) for improved audio quality that is more
precisely tuned to the cabin's acoustics. New tweeters located in the
instrument panel and improved Bose Nd next-generation bass performance is the
main benefit that Corvette drivers will hear.
A new Technology Package (2LT trim level) brings together many of the
Corvette's popular infotainment features and makes them available for more
models. The package's equipment includes the navigation radio, head-up
display, Bose premium audio system, Bluetooth wireless phone connectivity and
a USB port.

Wrapping up the new features for 2012 is the availability for customers to
select brake caliper colors, for more personalization of their Corvette. The
calipers are offered in the red, yellow, silver or gray.

About Chevrolet:
Founded in Detroit in 1911, Chevrolet celebrates its centennial as a global
automotive brand with annual sales of about 4.25 million vehicles in more than
140 countries. Chevrolet provides consumers with fuel-efficient, safe and
reliable vehicles that deliver high quality, expressive design, spirited
performance and value. The Chevrolet portfolio includes iconic performance
cars such as Corvette and Camaro; dependable, long-lasting pickups and SUVs
such as Silverado and Suburban; and award-winning passenger cars and
crossovers such as Spark, Cruze, Malibu, Equinox and Traverse. Chevrolet also
offers "gas-friendly to gas-free" solutions including Cruze Eco and Volt.
Cruze Eco offers 42 mpg highway while Volt offers 35 miles of electric,
gasoline-free driving and an additional 344 miles of extended range. Most new
Chevrolet models offer OnStar safety, security and convenience technologies
including OnStar Hands-Free Calling, Automatic Crash Response and Stolen
Vehicle Slowdown. More information regarding Chevrolet models can be found at
www.chevrolet.com
SOURCE General Motors
/CONTACT: David Caldwell of Chevrolet Communications, +1-313-665-7252,
david.caldwell@gm.com
/Web site: http://www.chevrolet.com
The following story was published on Thomson ONE:
For information on Thomson ONE go to www.thomson.com/financial
Click here to go to Dow Jones NewsPlus, a web front page of today's most
important business and market news, analysis and commentary:
http://www.djnewsplus.com/nae/al?rnd...Q1qlZCww%3D%3D. You can
use this link on the day this article is published and the following day.
(END) Dow Jones Newswires
04-28-11 0900ET
GM US37045V1008 I/AUT I/XDJGI I/XDJLC I/XNYA I/XSLI N/DJIN N/DJN N/DJWB N/CNW N/DJPN N/DJWI N/PDT N/PRL N/TPCT N/WEI
M/NCY M/NND M/TPX P/PSH P/TAP P/WMMI R/MI R/NME R/US R/USC
The following story was published on Thomson ONE:
For information on Thomson ONE go to www.thomson.com/financial
I was actually considering a Z06 Vette. Then one day I was at a traffic light and there was a red Corvette to my left at the intersection. It looked impressive at first glance. It turned and drove past me. The driver was this very fat guy leaning way back (only way he could fit into the car) with a cigarette and a big-ass gold chain. Talk about a stereotype !! At that point, all desire to own a Corvette went away.

The Corvette has always been a great bang for the buck and it does have an eye-catching shape. However, it also has low budget a rent-a-car interior design and, IMO, a bit of a sleazy owner image.
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6

LarThaL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #28
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 349
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737Drvr View Post
I disagree with you! Consider this, the Veyron is a $1.5 million plus vehicle. Now look at the Porsche 911 Turbo S. It rings in at $165,000 and does 0-60 in 2.6. The veyron takes 2.5. Tell me that isn't bang for the buck performance. I wouldn't want to pull up next to the Turbo S at any light or drag strip unless I was either in another Turbo S or Veyron. Yes the Corvette is less expensive and a great bang for the buck car and I'm glad to see GM to continuing to improve it. However, sorry to burst you bubble, but it is just not in the same league. I know, I've owned both.
There is a reason the Veyron is 1.5 million dollars. And it is not its 0-60 time.

Also, it would be helpful to indicate which Corvette you have owned when talking about performance.

On a final note, I would indeed feel comfortable pulling up next to a $165k Turbo S in a $90k GTR.
muskamatt is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2011, 07:07 PM   #29
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 349
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
I was actually considering a Z06 Vette. Then one day I was at a traffic light and there was a red Corvette to my left at the intersection. It looked impressive at first glance. It turned and drove past me. The driver was this very fat guy leaning way back (only way he could fit into the car) with a cigarette and a big-ass gold chain. Talk about a stereotype !! At that point, all desire to own a Corvette went away.

The Corvette has always been a great bang for the buck and it does have an eye-catching shape. However, it also has low budget a rent-a-car interior design and, IMO, a bit of a sleazy owner image.
Because M3/BMW owners have absolutely no stereotype.
muskamatt is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2011, 09:16 PM   #30
Brosef
Colonel
 
Brosef's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago

Posts: 2,229
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
I agree with you, but Id like to add that when you get to the level of performance that these car have, fractions of a second of better performance are going to cost you a lot of money.
Is a Veyron really 16X better than a GTR? Is it 10X better than a turbo S? Is it 5X better than a 458 italie?
You cant simply look at price because some manuf. sell cars at a loss (Veyon and GTR being examples of this). They will in all likelihood never recover the costs of R&D on such cars. Furthermore, things like the fact that the GTR is built here in the US makes it easier to price less. It doesnt have to go through customs or be shipped overseas or do any of the things imported cars do so far as getting here. And lets not forget, they will make far more Z06s than they ever will turbo S'. While Porsche might make 3-5K turbo S worldwide, Chevy will make 5-10X more Z06s. Again, spreading cost on the amount of cars made surely favors the company that will make more car with regards to pricing. Same reason why the M3 is only 70K when the RS5 will likely ring in close to 100K even though they have about equal performance.
I agree that the higher the performance level, the more fractions of a second matter. that was exactly my point - there's no hard numbers for what constitutes doubling another car's performance. it's an impossible concept.

with respect to pricing, first off you can't look at performance alone. that's one dimension of a road car. quality, practicality, longevity, style, brand, exclusivity, etc. all play a role. furthermore, the manufacturer's cost on a car is irrelevant - the market price is all that matters.

and sure, a low-production car will fetch a premium, but that's not because the manufacturer can't afford to sell it for less (i.e. because it doesn't have the cost efficiencies of higher production volumes). It's because consumers are willing to pay a premium for the exclusivity.
Brosef is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2011, 09:49 PM   #31
alms211
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MD

Posts: 746
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
I was actually considering a Z06 Vette. Then one day I was at a traffic light and there was a red Corvette to my left at the intersection. It looked impressive at first glance. It turned and drove past me. The driver was this very fat guy leaning way back (only way he could fit into the car) with a cigarette and a big-ass gold chain. Talk about a stereotype !! At that point, all desire to own a Corvette went away.

The Corvette has always been a great bang for the buck and it does have an eye-catching shape. However, it also has low budget a rent-a-car interior design and, IMO, a bit of a sleazy owner image.
I thought I wanted an A4 Audi before I bought my Grand Sport but I was in the parking lot at the local Target store and saw a flaming homosexual driving one so it immediately brought back the typical stereotype of an Audi A4 owner so I decided then I had no desire to own one.

......do you realize now how utterly fucking ridiculous your post is?
alms211 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2011, 10:21 PM   #32
737Drvr
Private
 
Drives: Nissan GTR/M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Phoenix

Posts: 77
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997GT3 View Post
Really? Even though I'm not a huge fan of the Corvette it definitely is quite a bargain(Z06 and ZR1). A Turbo S is a great car and is a relative performance bargain but not in the Vette(or GTR)league.
And using a 0-60 time as your yardstick is really really narrow. A ZR1(and probably the new Z06) will run with a Turbo S on a track.
You are correct about the 0-60 being narrow and I think it would depend on the track you placed the cars. I was merely pointing out that on economies of scale the Germans are capable of producing a car that has "bang for the buck." Of course, the Porsche is no Veyron but provides the same sense of acceleration to a certain point--especially when speaking of street driving. If you want to get right down to it, I believe the car in your picture provides the the best bang for the buck available right now. It is on my short list of the next car I would like to own.
737Drvr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2011, 10:29 PM   #33
737Drvr
Private
 
Drives: Nissan GTR/M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Phoenix

Posts: 77
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
bang-for-the-buck performance is a difficult concept to debate because it's useless trying to quantify it.

example: is the turbo S really worth double the price of a Z06? how can you quantify what kind of performance you need for a car that costs twice as much? do you need twice the performance? if so, what does that mean? if the Vette costs half as much as the Turbo S, which does 0-60 in 2.6 seconds, does the Vette therefore only have to make it to 60 in 5.2 seconds to have the same bang-for-the-buck? you can see where I'm going here. it's a subjective concept that could be debated forever. you could say that the turbo S does have better bang-for-the-buck, and I couldn't objectively prove you wrong. having said that, I'm confident that the majority of people who know anything about cars would agree that the Vette provides better bang-for-the-buck performance than the turbo S. again, doesn't make you wrong, just makes you part of a minority with different values (sounds like you're a baller that has owned some exceptional cars).

0-60 is such a small part of the picture too, btw. the GT-R would certainly prove to be better bang-for-the-buck if that's the only dimension on which you choose to evaluate performance. the Vette's front-engine RWD layout puts it at an obvious disadvantage from a dig, and the differences narrow thereafter.
I agree with you completely. See my previous post in response to 997GT3. And I agree about the GTR. However, the gentleman I initially responded to did not include Japanese Cars in his post. As I just stated, the GTR is at or near the top of my list as a next vehicle. In the end, no matter what I say, different strokes for different folks. That is why it is so great to have all of these choices in cars. I have stated in other threads that I respect the Corvette. It's a great car but just not for me right now.
737Drvr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2011, 10:52 PM   #34
991GT3
Captain
 
991GT3's Avatar
 
Drives: Cayenne Turbo
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North Dakota

Posts: 739
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737Drvr View Post
You are correct about the 0-60 being narrow and I think it would depend on the track you placed the cars. I was merely pointing out that on economies of scale the Germans are capable of producing a car that has "bang for the buck." Of course, the Porsche is no Veyron but provides the same sense of acceleration to a certain point--especially when speaking of street driving. If you want to get right down to it, I believe the car in your picture provides the the best bang for the buck available right now. It is on my short list of the next car I would like to own.

Sounds good. I'm not trying to be disagreeable because I'm not a Corvette fan and I love 911s(though I have never owned one). I envy you having a Turbo S. I was debating between that and the upgraded GTR and just couldn't rationalize the extra money for a slight performance gain and that the 991 is right around the corner.
__________________
-2011 Cayenne Turbo
-2012 Cayenne Turbo
-2013 VelociRaptor 600
991GT3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2011, 10:58 PM   #35
737Drvr
Private
 
Drives: Nissan GTR/M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Phoenix

Posts: 77
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskamatt View Post
There is a reason the Veyron is 1.5 million dollars. And it is not its 0-60 time.

Also, it would be helpful to indicate which Corvette you have owned when talking about performance.

On a final note, I would indeed feel comfortable pulling up next to a $165k Turbo S in a $90k GTR.
Regarding the Veyron, you are correct. It is constructed of far more exotic materials and components, not the least of which is its powerplant. And, of course, the Porsche will not do 253-258mph. As I said in another post, the Porsche can give you a similar sensation of acceleration up to a certain point.

As far as the Corvette goes, I have only owned a base model. However, my old man owns a Will Cooksey Z06 and a '10 ZR1. I have seat time in both. I'll admit that they both provide very good acceleration and handle quite well. They are indeed a great bang for the buck car. In my opinion, they just do not have the build quality of the Porsche. It is no accident that Porsche has been at or near the top of J.D. power quality surveys the last several years. Again, I respect the Corvette but prefer Porsche.

On the GTR, see my two previous posts. It wasn't included in the gentleman's post to whom I responded. As I said, I am considering it as my next purchase. Pulling up next to a Turbo S at a stop light would almost come down to driver skill. However, I'd still give the edge to the Turbo S stock to stock.
737Drvr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2011, 11:10 PM   #36
737Drvr
Private
 
Drives: Nissan GTR/M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Phoenix

Posts: 77
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997GT3 View Post
Sounds good. I'm not trying to be disagreeable because I'm not a Corvette fan and I love 911s(though I have never owned one). I envy you having a Turbo S. I was debating between that and the upgraded GTR and just couldn't rationalize the extra money for a slight performance gain and that the 991 is right around the corner.
I'm with you. I try to keep it civil. To be honest, I do not own a Turbo S but a few of of my cars and coffee buds do. I had a GT3, which I actually think provides a more inspiring drive than the Turbo models. That is not to take anything away from them as they provide awesome acceleration and are daily driven by a lot of folks. I miss the GT3 but like so many of us car guys like to own different types of cars. It had exceptional build quality, interior (never a rattle), and the paint job was fantastic. It was also a blast to drive. I look forward to owning a GTR to experience the many great aspects I hear it has to offer. And yes those are Vette posters on the walls. They were gifts from my Dad from back in the day. LOL. He is a Vette fanatic and is still trying to get me to join the dark side.
Attached Images
  
737Drvr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2011, 11:32 PM   #37
991GT3
Captain
 
991GT3's Avatar
 
Drives: Cayenne Turbo
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North Dakota

Posts: 739
iTrader: (0)

^^^^very sweet
If you don't like weird noises and rattling the GTR may not be the car for you.
I swear both my GTRs were/are ready to explode (not in a good way) every time I get behind the wheel (especially driving leisurely) but they don't.
Though you should still buy one. It's acceleration is something else.
__________________
-2011 Cayenne Turbo
-2012 Cayenne Turbo
-2013 VelociRaptor 600
991GT3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2011, 11:45 PM   #38
737Drvr
Private
 
Drives: Nissan GTR/M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Phoenix

Posts: 77
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997GT3 View Post
^^^^very sweet
If you don't like weird noises and rattling the GTR may not be the car for you.
I swear both my GTRs were/are ready to explode (not in a good way) every time I get behind the wheel (especially driving leisurely) but they don't.
Though you should still buy one. It's acceleration is something else.
Thank You. I don't mind the noises if I know about them in advance. I've done some research about the GTR--especially on Nagtroc. The '12 sounds like a phenomenal car. I want the blue like you have and am hoping to order one this summer (depending on the situation in Japan and Nissan's ability or willingness to produce them). I've also talked to a couple of owners at cars and coffee and they spoke very highly of the GTR. Can't wait to get one. By the way, I like the X6M. Sweet ride and kind of a sleeper to those not in the know. A nice compliment to the GTR.
737Drvr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-30-2011, 02:09 AM   #39
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 349
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737Drvr View Post
As far as the Corvette goes, I have only owned a base model. However, my old man owns a Will Cooksey Z06 and a '10 ZR1. I have seat time in both. I'll admit that they both provide very good acceleration and handle quite well. They are indeed a great bang for the buck car. In my opinion, they just do not have the build quality of the Porsche. It is no accident that Porsche has been at or near the top of J.D. power quality surveys the last several years. Again, I respect the Corvette but prefer Porsche.
There are aspects that I completely agree with you. I believe I might be in a similar situation as you (regarding knowledge of Vettes). The old man traded in his Z06 for a ZR1.

Although this seems like the cool, awesome, HP fanatic thing to do I do not agree with it at all. When speaking of the ZR1, I feel we are leaving the "bang for your buck" category and getting up there in the $$$ category.

It's performance numbers are truly amazing, however, I have yet to experience the awesomeness that this car provides. Where can 638 hp really be experienced? A lot of members chime in saying the ZR1 is more of a garage queen and I completely agree with that.

Ok here it comes, everyone ready for this?

Being 22 (I am young and I am fortunate enough to experience some of the capabilities of these cars) I truly appreciated the Z06 over the ZR1.

I do not like driving the ZR1. It makes me very nervous. It is not the HP it is just the $$$ amount of the thing I am driving (I try and respect cars). I would probably feel the same way in any 6 figure car (example Turbo S) as I cannot afford any mishaps in vehicles like these. This, in my honest opinion, took away from the joy that the Z06 offered. (75k and 505 of NA HP)
muskamatt is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-30-2011, 02:26 AM   #40
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 349
iTrader: (0)

I apologize for the additional post but this is what I originally wanted to ask.....

I see quite a bit of attention in regards to stripped down M3's, lightweight versions, no options etc., in order to perform as an ultimate track car correct?

But then the Corvettes seem to be criticized due to their basic interiors. I am confused.

For those enthusiasts looking for the stripped down, light weight, no options, no back seat M3's; I would like to as if the criticisms on the Vette's interiors are truly justified?

We may have a half and half audience (I for one like my fully loaded heavy a$$ luxury coupe!) but those that don't care about the interior amenities seem to judge the Corvette's interior very harshly. Does this not seem hypocritical?
muskamatt is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-30-2011, 04:35 AM   #41
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Brucewonder's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Socal

Posts: 1,543
iTrader: (4)

can never go wrong with a vette.
Brucewonder is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-30-2011, 06:46 AM   #42
Kyoshi71
Colonel
 
Kyoshi71's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York

Posts: 2,528
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
I was actually considering a Z06 Vette. Then one day I was at a traffic light and there was a red Corvette to my left at the intersection. It looked impressive at first glance. It turned and drove past me. The driver was this very fat guy leaning way back (only way he could fit into the car) with a cigarette and a big-ass gold chain. Talk about a stereotype !! At that point, all desire to own a Corvette went away.
Hey...Congratulations on adding the most irrelevant post to the thread! You see ONE guy in a car that doesn't meet your expectations of what the driver should look like and you're done with the car?

If you truly lived by that mantra (which I doubt) you'd probably have to make due without a lot in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
However, it also has low budget a rent-a-car interior design and, IMO, a bit of a sleazy owner image.
I guess you didnt read the article before jumping in with your opinion? Also, for what it's worth, I'm a little offended that you refer to Corvette owners as sleazy. For a car that has been a major part of American culture since it's inception in 1952, you've got more mouth than brains.

With 25 posts under your belt...Lurk more, post less
__________________
"But resist we much; we must; and we will much; about that be committed."
~Rev. Al Sharpton


2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Kyoshi71 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-30-2011, 06:57 AM   #43
Kyoshi71
Colonel
 
Kyoshi71's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York

Posts: 2,528
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737Drvr View Post
I'm with you. I try to keep it civil. To be honest, I do not own a Turbo S but a few of of my cars and coffee buds do. I had a GT3, which I actually think provides a more inspiring drive than the Turbo models. That is not to take anything away from them as they provide awesome acceleration and are daily driven by a lot of folks. I miss the GT3 but like so many of us car guys like to own different types of cars. It had exceptional build quality, interior (never a rattle), and the paint job was fantastic. It was also a blast to drive. I look forward to owning a GTR to experience the many great aspects I hear it has to offer. And yes those are Vette posters on the walls. They were gifts from my Dad from back in the day. LOL. He is a Vette fanatic and is still trying to get me to join the dark side.
Didn't mean to double post but couldn't resist saying how SICK your car is!!!
__________________
"But resist we much; we must; and we will much; about that be committed."
~Rev. Al Sharpton


2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Kyoshi71 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #44
737Drvr
Private
 
Drives: Nissan GTR/M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Phoenix

Posts: 77
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
Didn't mean to double post but couldn't resist saying how SICK your car is!!!
Thank You for your the compliment. That car, as you probably have already figured out is a 997.1 GT3. I haven't driven the .2 or .2RS but hear they are even better. I sold that one over a year ago and was lucky enough to own a Gallardo SL for just over a year. That one has just been sold as well and I'm on the hunt for a GTR now. The reason I post on this forum is that I'm also interested in either an M3 or X6M for my wife and like you guys love cars.

As to the original post, the Vette continues to improve and I think GM is on the right track with it and other cars they produce. I'm not saying I'll never have another Corvette, but for now I like the GTR.
737Drvr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST